• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Final Fantasy VII Refrain

The security systems? Would they be offline...or would they be heightened? Tifa looked at Aerith, ruby red eyes glimpsing into the emerald green and silently wishing that she could see what would happen next. What would happen in this city? They had to be back here for a reason. Tifa hadn't had much of a religious bone in her body, but...something kept tugging at her, like Fate and Whispers were keeping them locked in place. Fate was angry they had left the city behind, and wanted them locked in place. Both of them. Security or not, they had no safe way to wiggle their way down to the Slums. The tunnels could be filled with the odd monster or wildlife that had crept in.

"I mean, I would have suggested a train, but..."

That would be worse. They didn't know anybody topside, at least Tifa didn't know much....

"I mean...there's always Avalanche. Actual main brain Avalanche, but...I don't think they like Barrett or Cloud...of me very much at this point. I don't know if they would be even willing to help. I'm sure they have smuggling tunnels all around that we could use." Tifa put her hands back her back and leaned against the nearby alley wall, listening to the wall of the city. She hated how familiar it smelled, how haunting it felt, and how at home she actually felt. Had she really been homesick? She would have thought perhaps Nibelheim would have given here these vibes, but here...Of all places.

"We better move soon, but...Are you okay? I mean...you aren't...seeing things anymore? Now that we are back? There's no signs of Sephiroth still here, you don't think, right?" Tifa bit at her lip. "This isn't some brilliant plan of his to seperate us? I just....I have a bad feeling Aerith, and usually, I trust them, and I'm worried about you. I'm worried about me. I'm worried about being here because...it doesn't feel right. It feels like, we aren't supposed to be here, and...something wants us to stay here. Like a magnet on my boots, or a weight on my chest. I don't feel good? But I don't feel bad? Like, I shouldn't feel like this, Like the universe wants me here."

Tifa leaned over to the woman, and grabbed her hand, her fingers tugging gently at hers. "We can head down to the nearest tunnel and at least scope it out, but...I don't want you getting hurt, okay? I just wish we could jump on a car...but I get this bad feeling that a car is going to break down before we even get out of Midgar, or another tornado is going to show up. Maybe it's my anxiety. That's gotta be it, right?"

While it hadn't been difficult to tell that her friend was nervous and struggling to figure out what to do, a silent glance shared between the two women made it clear to Aerith that Tifa had a strange feeling about everything they had just experienced. Gazing into Tifa's eyes, Aerith could see that the bartender was also wondering what fate had in store for them... And perhaps there was a faint bit of hope that Aerith might know something about what it was? Maybe Aerith was just imagining it.

She did wish that she had some clue. That the Lifestream would wind its way through this crumbling cityscape as it did around the planet and give her a vision of what was to come. Or even just a Whisper trying to tug them along so she'd have an idea of why they were here. She wished that she'd had a dream about what they'd do here rather than that ancient city... But nothing would come to her.

The flower girl gave a nod in response to Tifa's first question and followed it up with a faint smile. "I'm fine. No visions, no Whispers, and no Sephiroth as far as I can tell. I don't think we have to worry about him here in Midgar." Of course, Aerith was still worried about him... Though those concerns related to whatever the fallen SOLDIER had planned for the planet. And for Cloud. She had to have faith in her bodyguard, of course, but it wasn't difficult to tell that he had been acting a little strange. What if he had one of his own visions or lashed out?

Barret and Red would stop him. They were tough. And so was Cloud. They were fine. For all she knew, they were all enjoying the sand and sun in Costa Del Sol while waiting for Aerith and Tifa to catch up. She felt a slight twinge of jealousy as she wished they were all together on the beach... or really anywhere but Midgar.

Pushing that thought aside for now, Aerith returned to her conversation with Tifa. She had a bad feeling as well... But who wouldn't have one here in the heart of Shrina territory? They watched the city get torn apart, and now they were all wanted. The mention of the main branch of Avalanche was at least a lead they could follow, but who knew if they'd even be willing to help? For now, Aerith figured it was best to calm her friend's nerves.

Aerith gently gripped Tifa's hand back and met her friend's eyes once again. "It doesn't feel right being here, and it does seem like we keep getting pulled back for something... But we'll get out. We did it once, we can do it again. Whatever the universe wants with us doesn't matter, right? We beat the Whispers before, so nothing can hold us down here!" Her smiled widened as she pumped a fist up in the air. A little bit of positive energy went a long way, and Aerith knew that was what they desperately needed right now.

With that little pep talk done, she returned her focus to their current plan. "That's fine with me. A little recon mission sounds like our next best move, anyway." She glanced around, uncertain as to where they'd even find the nearest tunnel. She had never had an opportunity to explore the upper level of Midgar; she had come to know parts of the Shinra building very well, but that was pretty much it. All the rubble around the city would make it difficult to navigate, too, but she was sure they'd find their way eventually. She then brought her free hand up onto Tifa's shoulder, a warm smile still on her face. "And I'm sure it's just your nerves. We've been through a lot lately, but we're still fine. No matter what comes our way, we'll face it together."

She squeezed the palm of her hand back, holding that feeling close to her, even offering a smile as Aerith threw her hand in the air, cheering them forward. They had done it once, a feat that she had originally determined impossible, simply based on the funds that Seventh Heaven brought in, and the fact that Midgar felt like a black hole that sucked everything in. It had been so easy to sink back down, into the depression that was the city, especially when it felt like they had only made the black hole worse. The pit in her stomach didn't feel any worse. In fact, it actually felt lighter, especially with Aerith near. Tifa patted her hand.

"Nerves. Yeah. You could say that."

Nerves. It was all nerves. Something dug into the back of her skull, as she watched Aerith pull her hand away, and they started to make their way through the streets of upper Midgar. Apartment buildings towered the sky. Most of these buildings were built with the intention of touching the stars. There was never any fear of running out of room, unlike the slums, where space was precious. While some of the rubble from the tornado lay scattered to waste, many of the people were still going about their day, as if nothing had happened or that there was an impending doom upon them. It was as if....they didn't realize how much danger they were in. Some people watched a monitor, much like others did in the slums, but instead, they scoffed, waved their hands, and walked away, mumbling about Wutai.

"I don't think they'd ever believe the truth...even if we told them." she mumbled, ducking her head into an alley as a group of people passed on their way to a nearby train station. She glanced up at the sky, watching the little bit of sun starting to peak at the top. She sighed. They'd come back to the top....They had too.

"The people in the slums must be terrified. Do you think Shinra is threatening to drop more plates on them?"

The nearby service tunnel for one of the train was flagged out of service, the outer lighting red and flashing. A few guards stood outside, gripping their guns as they watched the crowds. Tifa grabbed Aerith and motioned to her. Aerith didn't have her staff, or Materia. Tifa had only the little bit in her gloves. She frowned.

"I think we could take them. What do you think? Do you have anything on you?" If one of them got hurt...they had no medicine, no potions, no healing materia. It would be a risk, but that might be their best way back to Wall Market. Tifa didn't like the haunting imagery that she'd have to carry a bleeding Aerith on her back all the way down the tunnel...but...her stomach felt better the longer she looked at the guards...as if she was being tugged in that direction. If the Whispers weren't here...what was telling them to go this way...and if the Whispers could lead them out of Midgar the first time...then something else could too, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back