Music Favorite Game Soundtracks?

Ah, this is a tough one! There are so many games with OST's that I absolutely love, so choosing favourites is tricky.

First I'll go with the game everyone seems to be gushing about recently: Undertale. There have been so many games that have tried recreating a retro soundtrack and have fallen flat on their faces, but I think Undertale succeeds spectacularly. Of course, while I think the entire soundtrack is great, where it really shines is the boss music which both gives the feel of the fight as well as being unbelievably catchy. I've been listening to the songs a lot for the past week (in fact I'm doing so right now. Death By Glamour for the win!), but of course it may just be the whole recency factor that makes me rate it so highly. Still, independent of my enjoyment of the game itself, the soundtrack itself is definitely a refreshing return to great retro-style tunes.

Then there's also the soundtrack from my favourite game of all time; Metal Gear Solid 2. Don't get me wrong; the music from all of the Metal Gear games is great, but there's just something about it that makes it stand out from the rest. Maybe it's the slight sci-fi ish vibes I get from it and the unusual sounds that only serve to heighten the already weird atmosphere, or maybe it's just because I really love both the tanker and big shell alert tracks. I don't know, but whatever teh case it's definitely up there.

Moving on, I'll probably end with Final Fantasy 9, a soundtrack that I think does the best job of matching the music to the situation and using it to enhance the mood. Most if not all games do this, but FF9 in my opinion perfected it. No song seems unnecessary, takes away from the mood or feels like background music, even when the song IS background music. It all melds together with the situation so well that I can't help but vividly remember each location when I listen to each track, and there are even certain songs that I refuse to listen to in public because they cause tears to swell up, and not to toot my own horn but that's no easy feat. Of course, that's not the only reason why I like it, as there are NUMEROUS stand out songs that I love listening to.

There are many other soundtracks that I like a lot such as Persona 3 and Fire Emblem, but I think I've went on a tangent long enough. Well, those that I put up are my favourites, and I suggest anyone interested should look up the OST's and give them a listen, or better yet play the games because each game is spectacular in their own way.

The Mother Trilogy has some of the most memorable music I've ever heard. We all know about how the music took up more space than most other games for the SNES

[media]

[/media]
The revised version is just stunning.

Super Mario is seemingly left behind here.

Galaxy was gorgeous, and I love the Jazz from 3D World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back