Favored Fighting Ability

What is your Favorite Fighting Ability (not including War)

• Archery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martial Arts

• Melee

• Thrown

• Total voters
Well the problem with Melee, IMHO, is that you don't have enough interesting charms for combat.

Be it in attack, or defense, you just have to buy like 8 charms to be able to have a stable DV, and an extra actions that doesn't bleed you dry of motes whenever you use it, and you will only use the last version of the tree, leaving the rest to rot.

Martial Arts give you the opportunity to vary a bit much and to get effects Melee does not have:

- speed reducing

- Join Battle boost

- boost DV for the scene

- boost pre and post soak damage for the scene

etc

Archery is much more complete as an offensive charm tree than Melee.

cyl said:
Well the problem with Melee, IMHO, is that you don't have enough interesting charms for combat.
Be it in attack, or defense, you just have to buy like 8 charms to be able to have a stable DV, and an extra actions that doesn't bleed you dry of motes whenever you use it, and you will only use the last version of the tree, leaving the rest to rot.

Martial Arts give you the opportunity to vary a bit much and to get effects Melee does not have:

- speed reducing

- Join Battle boost

- boost DV for the scene

- boost pre and post soak damage for the scene

etc

Archery is much more complete as an offensive charm tree than Melee.
And that's where making new Charms comes into play...

Yep, I know, I'm currently working on it...

When it is done, I'll submit in a thread, then to Lore5 :D

Martial arts. So many different ways to go about it. I'll never run out of good character concepts who benefit from MA. Plus, it means you don't need to lug around weapons. Fists are a good deal harder to disarm.

Yes, because the Exalted system has such a complicated and occult Encumbrance system, and you just can never Stunt to get another weapon or Parry...

And because you just never see Martial Artists with weapons.

For me, it's about the investment. I think that Melee is much more economical for chargen and XP, which allows you to create a more than a tank or a Martial Artist. I like a character to actually have a fair amount of Abilities, and not all tied to one uber-Ability. Which is my main complaint with Martial Arts, is that it tends to be a trash can to heap all sorts of Charms into, attached to some Form Charms, which are essentially an XP sink.

I'd rather keep out of that, and develop custom Charms for Abilities where I see gaps, as opposed to tying myself down to a MA style that needs constant feeding to get to the "next" step. Which, I suppose, is part of the point. Look at the Shiny! See! Shiny!

For me' date=' it's about the investment. I think that Melee is much more economical for chargen and XP, which allows you to create a more than a tank or a Martial Artist. I like a character to actually have a fair amount of Abilities, and not all tied to one uber-Ability. Which is my main complaint with Martial Arts, is that it tends to be a trash can to heap all sorts of Charms into, attached to some Form Charms, which are essentially an XP sink.[/quote']
Do you really think Bulwark Stance, One Weapon Two Blows and Peony Blossom Attack are actually economical ???

I agree with you that some MA charms are redundant, but if you choose wisely your styles, you do not get to spend your xp on the same charm twice.

I was speaking more from a custom Charms aspect--but I much prefer the Melee trees to the endless stream of MA trees. Then again, I prefer simplicity, and MA tends to get just stoopid. Part of the reason I took MA out of my campaigns entirely, and put it under the aegis of Fight, and called it good.

Archery, it's what you use to fire all the cool arcanatech and magitech artillery. Beautiful things, those guns are.

Fomoria said:
Archery, it's what you use to fire all the cool arcanatech and magitech artillery. Beautiful things, those guns are.
Unless, of course, you're using Martial Arts.

There is one of my beefs with the system, which is that you can use practically any weapon with Martial Arts if you have a style which uses that weapon as the form weapon. You don't actually need to have Melee or Archery unless you want to focus on Melee or Archery charm trees (which can't be comboed with Martial Arts charms even if the MA charms come from a style that uses Melee or Archery weapons. . . )

Decurion said:
Fomoria said:

There is one of my beefs with the system, which is that you can use practically any weapon with Martial Arts if you have a style which uses that weapon as the form weapon. You don't actually need to have Melee or Archery unless you want to focus on Melee or Archery charm trees (which can't be comboed with Martial Arts charms even if the MA charms come from a style that uses Melee or Archery weapons. . . )
I'm pretty sure you have to be able to hold the weapon to use it with a Martial Art. I'm talking about guns, not small arms.

Fomoria said:
Decurion said:
Fomoria said:

I'm pretty sure you have to be able to hold the weapon to use it with a Martial Art. I'm talking about guns, not small arms.
Ah, yes. Well. . . Point taken. It's not a rule per se, but it makes sense. Although there's a really good opportunity to come up with a Martial Art that uses warstriders and essence cannon as form armor and weapons.

Decurion said:
Fomoria said:
Ah, yes. Well. . . Point taken. It's not a rule per se, but it makes sense. Although there's a really good opportunity to come up with a Martial Art that uses warstriders and essence cannon as form armor and weapons.
I can't see many takers of an artillery-focussed martial art. Generally people just get as much of it into the area as possible and let Lanchester's square law do their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back