Familiar question

GraySky

So I'm starting a new campaign and one of my players is playing a sidereal on a sabbatical from Yu-Shan (it's a mixed exalt type game.) He spent five dots in familiar, and asked for something along the lines of "a small, invisible flying creature with the ability to pick almost any mundane lock." So I figure, he spent the points, why not give it to him. My only problem is how to justify such a creature. Would it be some sort of god? (The problem with that, though, is I'm pretty sure all gods are sentient, and even if they were domain less, wouldn't be some dude's pet.) So yeah, I'm at a loss about what to make it.

Do I want to know why its invisible? How does he know its there?

Perhaps a creature from the Wyld that has been stabilized in creation?

That's not a bad idea, but how exactly are creatures of the wyld able to keep their shape in Yu-Shan and Creation?

GraySky said:
So I'm starting a new campaign and one of my players is playing a sidereal on a sabbatical from Yu-Shan (it's a mixed exalt type game.) He spent five dots in familiar, and asked for something along the lines of "a small, invisible flying creature with the ability to pick almost any mundane lock." So I figure, he spent the points, why not give it to him. My only problem is how to justify such a creature. Would it be some sort of god? (The problem with that, though, is I'm pretty sure all gods are sentient, and even if they were domain less, wouldn't be some dude's pet.) So yeah, I'm at a loss about what to make it.
Have you read the Sidereal Charms? They can turn their Familiars into small gods that still count as Familiars. So long as he has the Spirit-Shape Companion Charm, an uplifted hummingbird Familiar would fit his needs perfectly.

Kyeudo said:
GraySky said:
Have you read the Sidereal Charms? They can turn their Familiars into small gods that still count as Familiars. So long as he has the Spirit-Shape Companion Charm, an uplifted hummingbird Familiar would fit his needs perfectly.
Hm. That actually does sound perfect. Thanks. :D

Even without the charm he could take such a familiar, probably passed on from a mor experienced sidereal.

The disadvantage of this is that if it is destroyed he cannot replace it.

If he dose take th charms I would give him a familiar for free. It seems rude to charge for a string of charms, and then charge again if they ever get used.

Edward

I'm imagining some sort of creature that was made obsolete when the pattern spiders were created (before the primordial war, right?) and has survived by making itself useful to gods and exalts.

The other suggestions are probably better mechanics-wise though. It could always be an automaton instead of a living thing. I had a chillikan at one point and it wasn't until I bestowed in on a circle-mate's son that I realized it was supposed to be an Ally instead of an Artifact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back