Exalted + Eberron = ??

Kyeudo

One Thousand Club
Just a random idea for a campaign that hit me: What if you crossed Exalted with one of the best written D&D settings, namely Eberron.

Suppose that, back during the Primordial War, a trio of Primordials saw the writing on the wall and hightailed it into the Wyld: Syberis, the Dragon Above, Kyber, the Dragon Below, and Eberron, the Dragon Between. Between themselves, they agree that they screwed up bigtime with Creation, namely the whole "sentient gods who could get uppity about their position" thing and so decide to create a new version.

Together, they lay the foundations of Eberron. In the process, they begin to argue. Perhaps the Wyld managed to twist them, perhaps it was simple jealousy, or perhaps they just didn't like the stuff the other guy insisted on including. Whatever the reason, Kyber attacked Syberis and the rest is history.

Sometime later, a party of Exalts ventures into the Deep Wyld for some purpose. They stumble over a rock/porcupine/mango/unformed lump of nothing and find themselves falling through the Ring of Syberis on their way towards the ground. Being the epic Exalts they are, they managed to survive the landing in any number of ways (perfect defenses, artifacts, etc), but find themselves in a completely new world.

Now, as much as playing with this idea sounds like fun (who wouldn't want to see what the Blood of Vol would do to get their hands on an Abyssal), it presents a few problems: How do you appropriately model all the D&D classed characters running around? What kind of implementation do you give the common as dirt magic items? And what would be keeping the Wyld out of Eberron?

I'm less concerned with how powerful the game is than with getting a good representation of D&D characters and items. Eberron was made well enough that no matter the power level of the game PCs will find something to challenge them.

Most of the supernatural creatures can be modelled fairly well with arbitrary stats and custom charms, but NPCs with class levels are harder. D&D tank classes can survive ridiculous punishment on a scale that an Exalt couldn't take without soak Charms and high level spellcasters can drastically alter the battlefield with a single action, something that the Exalted can't do. How does one model the ease with which a rogue goes from sneak attacking someone for incredible damage to dodging a fireball flawlessly without special need of combos?

Then there are the magic items. Are +1 swords equivalent to daiklaves? What about +1 armor? What background should cover magic items? A normal D&D character is restricted by wealth by level to what he can have, but Resources is intentionally vague and ambiguous. Artifact, on the other hand, is limited, but doesn't allow much, where a typical D&D character is decked head to foot in magic gear.

I'm just not sure where to start, but there is so much potential to be had. Who wouldn't want to see a Solar dueling an Inspired Soulknife before a portal to Dal Quor?

Well, I have some ideas and thoughts to share.

Magic in Eberron is very common. Just about anyone can learn a bit of magic to help in daily life. Magic Items are also quite common. A +1 Longsword is not that special, uncommon yes, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The Phlebotinum of choice are Dragonshards. They are used in one form or another in magic item creation.

How common is magic in Exalted? What could be bought at a store?

Stuff that could be used as inspiration (and/or looted) when converting races:

Warforged - Alchemical Exalted

Shifters - Lunar Exalted and Beastmen

Changelings - I guess Lunar and Fae

Kalashtar - Sidereal Exalted

On Hit Points: The way I see it, HP is not only physical fortitude, but also the ability to dodge stuff and plot armour.

Let's take Indiana Jones. He's running away from Angry Natives who are shooting arrows and throwing spears. None of the projectiles hit, but for rule purposes he's losing HP.

I guess using the various Charms could work here.

Well, I have some ideas and thoughts to share.
Magic in Eberron is very common. Just about anyone can learn a bit of magic to help in daily life. Magic Items are also quite common. A +1 Longsword is not that special, uncommon yes, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The Phlebotinum of choice are Dragonshards. They are used in one form or another in magic item creation.

How common is magic in Exalted? What could be bought at a store?
Magic in Exalted is common, but not "everybody's doing it" common. Village wise men know rituals to enhance the yield of crops, witches brew love potions that actually work, etc., but the average peasant doesn't know much about magic other than "the local god wants prayer or the crops fail."

That said, truely magical items aren't too terribly common. They are common enough that every Exalt can logically either make or acquire artifacts of their own, some more easily than others, but you can't just buy them at a Magic-Mart. Those who deal in artifacts are rich, and those that buy them are just as rich.

Stuff that could be used as inspiration (and/or looted) when converting races:

Warforged - Alchemical Exalted

Shifters - Lunar Exalted and Beastmen

Changelings - I guess Lunar and Fae

Kalashtar - Sidereal Exalted
For races, I was thinking that the base races traits would be best represented by applying something like Wyld Mutations, since they are permanent physical capabilities rather than learned.

On Hit Points: The way I see it, HP is not only physical fortitude, but also the ability to dodge stuff and plot armour.
Let's take Indiana Jones. He's running away from Angry Natives who are shooting arrows and throwing spears. None of the projectiles hit, but for rule purposes he's losing HP.

I guess using the various Charms could work here.
I suppose that's one way to look at it, but it doesn't hold up well in discriptions. When a D&D spellcaster hits you with a fireball, its hard to say you dodged it.

Perhaps we should start by establishing a few tenants about mortals in Eberron from an Exalted point of view. Should a D&D Barbarian be considered an Essence channeler in Exalted? On the on hand, his rages allow him to do the physically impossible, but on the other that rage's source is entirely mundane in the D&D world.

Kyeudo said:
Magic in Exalted is common, but not "everybody's doing it" common. Village wise men know rituals to enhance the yield of crops, witches brew love potions that actually work, etc., but the average peasant doesn't know much about magic other than "the local god wants prayer or the crops fail."
It appears that magic would be more common in Eberron. What does this imply for Exalted Eberron?

I don't suppose there's anything like the Magewright, the working class mage? This is the NPC class that NPCs take to learn Arcane magic.

Divine magic on the other hand is rarer. Most priests are Commoners, Experts or Adepts rather than Clerics or Druids like in other D&D settings.

That said, truely magical items aren't too terribly common. They are common enough that every Exalt can logically either make or acquire artifacts of their own, some more easily than others, but you can't just buy them at a Magic-Mart. Those who deal in artifacts are rich, and those that buy them are just as rich.
Magic Items are seem to be more common too. I think I saw a picture of a Exalted magical sofa somewhere. That's something that wouldn't stick out too much in Eberron. Expertise would be needed to make it however.

Let's take Sharn, the City of Towers. Although there are safety measures, people fall down every now and then (accident or not). Because of this people can buy a one-time-use trinket that casts Feather Fall.

For races, I was thinking that the base races traits would be best represented by applying something like Wyld Mutations, since they are permanent physical capabilities rather than learned.
I suppose so. Although, for Warforged at least, certain abilities and magic items might be represented by Charms.

And since Kalashtar are the Mystical Martial Artist people of Eberron, what do you see being the appropriate level of Martial Arts they can learn?

I suppose that's one way to look at it, but it doesn't hold up well in descriptions. When a D&D spellcaster hits you with a fireball, its hard to say you dodged it.
This is a debate that rages on even on D&D boards. For now, it might be useful to use Exalted as a base.

Perhaps we should start by establishing a few tenants about mortals in Eberron from an Exalted point of view. Should a D&D Barbarian be considered an Essence channeler in Exalted? On the on hand, his rages allow him to do the physically impossible, but on the other that rage's source is entirely mundane in the D&D world.
Hmmm... Maybe people on Eberron naturally channel Essence (some form)? That might explain the widespread use of magic.

What's the difference between a Enlightened and a Heroic mortal? Is this is something that is easier to achieve in Eberron?

It appears that magic would be more common in Eberron. What does this imply for Exalted Eberron?
Exalts coming to Eberron will have greater access to more magical items than they have had since the First Age. (The First Age tops Eberron, though. The First Age had a magical internet.)

I don't suppose there's anything like the Magewright, the working class mage? This is the NPC class that NPCs take to learn Arcane magic.
Mortal magic workers are called Thamaturges, since they use complex rituals to do minor magical effects that range from demon summoning to predicting the future.

Magic Items are seem to be more common too. I think I saw a picture of a Exalted magical sofa somewhere. That's something that wouldn't stick out too much in Eberron. Expertise would be needed to make it however.

Let's take Sharn, the City of Towers. Although there are safety measures, people fall down every now and then (accident or not). Because of this people can buy a one-time-use trinket that casts Feather Fall.
The magical shapeshifting couches are relics from a lost age. Think Forgotten Realms with all the various magical empires that used to exist all rolled into one giant conglomerate of awesome. Much of that is hard to do now for Exalts.

I suppose so. Although, for Warforged at least, certain abilities and magic items might be represented by Charms.

And since Kalashtar are the Mystical Martial Artist people of Eberron, what do you see being the appropriate level of Martial Arts they can learn?
That depends on where we determine the equivalence point of power between the two. If we say that a starting Solar is roughly equivalent to a 10th level character, then I'd say that our D&D characters can aspire to Martial Arts on the Celestial level. Too much higher of an equivalence point and I think they'd be limited to Terrestrial Martial Arts.

This is a debate that rages on even on D&D boards. For now, it might be useful to use Exalted as a base.
Yeah, plus using the Exalted model of damage will make players go "What the heck! I just hit him with a Grand Daiklave! How is he still in one piece!" That kind of shock is always fun.

Hmmm... Maybe people on Eberron naturally channel Essence (some form)? That might explain the widespread use of magic.

What's the difference between a Enlightened and a Heroic mortal? Is this is something that is easier to achieve in Eberron?
An Enlightened Mortal is a mortal who can actually channel Essence without being a God-Blood or an Exalt.

Hmm, that's starting to sound like a basis. Let's say that Eberron mortals would be considered magical beings in Creation, so they have their own Charms. Most of them will be permanent stuff, like Feats.

How should we relate Essence and Character Level?

Kyeudo said:
Exalts coming to Eberron will have greater access to more magical items than they have had since the First Age.
Yes. That would probably happen.

(The First Age tops Eberron, though.
FFFFFFUUU-

The First Age had a magical internet.)
I'll have to hand you that one
thatsmileyto4.gif

But more seriously, the Giants of Xen'drik had magical wonders that are yet unknown. That's something that could be explored.

Mortal magic workers are called Thamathurges, since they use complex rituals to do minor magical effects that range from demon summoning to predicting the future.
Ah, well I suppose that's something that can be used.

That depends on where we determine the equivalence point of power between the two. If we say that a starting Solar is roughly equivalent to a 10th level character...
Hmmm... We are getting somewhere. Where do we place other Exalts?

And how does this impact Eberron, with its philosophy of "low level NPCs with NPC classes"?

Hmm, that's starting to sound like a basis. Let's say that Eberron mortals would be considered magical beings in Creation, so they have their own Charms. Most of them will be permanent stuff, like Feats.

How should we relate Essence and Character Level?
Sounds good. I think relating Essence and Character Level might be a good start.

A thing that comes to mind here:

One criticism I've heard of Exalted is that the AWESOME you do, it's not you, it's the Shard of Exaltation.

Maybe Eberron mortals don't have a upper limit to their advancement? You might start out below a Dragon Blooded, but you might reach and even exceed a Solar.

I noticed a few things.

Kyeudo said:
Suppose that, back during the Primordial War, a trio of Primordials saw the writing on the wall and hightailed it into the Wyld: Syberis, the Dragon Above, Kyber, the Dragon Below, and Eberron, the Dragon Between.
Err... That'd be Siberys and Khyber. For some reason, even on the Eberron forums, people get Siberys wrong. I hope you don't mind me pointing this out?

And what would be keeping the Wyld out of Eberron?
The Draconic Prophecy? The Ring of Siberys? Ancient Giant Magitek? The Silver Flame? The Gatekeeper Seals holding back Xoriat and the Daelkyr trapped in Khyber?

This reminds me, would the Draconic Prophecy be roughly equivalent to Destiny/Fate in Exalted?

Hmmm... We are getting somewhere. Where do we place other Exalts?

And how does this impact Eberron, with its philosophy of "low level NPCs with NPC classes"?
Well, placing other Exalts is kind of hard. In terms of direct power, Solars and their derivatives (Abyssals, Infernals) are at the top of the chart, with Lunars fairly close by. Sidereals are a bit lower on the power chain, and Dragon-Blooded end up being cannon-fodder sometimes. If we acurately place Solars, the rest should fall into place alright.

Creation isn't absolutely loaded with Exalts. Most people are so minor in power scale that they count mostly as human scenery, just like Eberron has mostly ordinary people going about their buisness.

Maybe Eberron mortals don't have a upper limit to their advancement? You might start out below a Dragon Blooded, but you might reach and even exceed a Solar.
Well, part of that would be a given. If we set it up as an outgrowth of the Heroic Mortal stats, D&D characters will start at the bottom of the food chain and work their way up, but I doubt they'll cross the power level of a Solar Exalt anytime pre-epic. Solar Circle Sorcery meets or exceeds 9th level spellcasting and Solar combat charms are equivalent to 9th level manuvers (if you have Bo9S), but those are availible at Essence 5.

If we put a starting Solar (Essence 2-3) at being the equivalent of a 10th level D&D character, that would put 5 D&D character levels as being worth a dot of Essence, so a 20th level character would be Essence 4ish. Does this sound appropriate?

I noticed a few things.
Err... That'd be Siberys and Khyber. For some reason, even on the Eberron forums, people get Siberys wrong. I hope you don't mind me pointing this out?
Not at all. It's been awhile since I reread my Eberron books. The proper spelling probably slipped my mind.

The Draconic Prophecy? The Ring of Siberys? Ancient Giant Magitek? The Silver Flame? The Gatekeeper Seals holding back Xoriat and the Daelkyr trapped in Khyber?
Perhaps we should start by defining how the Wyld interacts with Eberron and its planes. In Creation, the raksha step out of the Wyld and are forced to take on a particular shape that works in accordance with the rules of Creation. This forces them into slightly elementally-influenced forms resembling creatures from the dreams of mortals.

If we assume a similar phenomena when the raksha move into Eberron, what shape would the rules of Eberron force upon them?

This reminds me, would the Draconic Prophecy be roughly equivalent to Destiny/Fate in Exalted?
No. The Draconic Prophecy is purely predictive. Because you will be somewhere, the Prophecy says you will be there. Exalted's Fate is purely deterministic. Fate says you are destined to be somewhere, so you are going to be there whether you want to or not, because circumstances will conspire to take you there. Your Fate can be changed by a Sidereal filling the correct paperwork with the right department of the Bureau of Destiny, and that will change where you will be.

Kyeudo said:
If we put a starting Solar (Essence 2-3) at being the equivalent of a 10th level D&D character, that would put 5 D&D character levels as being worth a dot of Essence, so a 20th level character would be Essence 4ish. Does this sound appropriate?
I guess your right, I'm not that familiar with the rules of Exalted.

Perhaps we should start by defining how the Wyld interacts with Eberron and its planes. In Creation, the raksha step out of the Wyld and are forced to take on a particular shape that works in accordance with the rules of Creation. This forces them into slightly elementally-influenced forms resembling creatures from the dreams of mortals.

If we assume a similar phenomena when the raksha move into Eberron, what shape would the rules of Eberron force upon them?
Hrmm... It seems the Wyld combines facets of Thelanis, Dal Quor and Xoriat with a dash of Lammania...

Maybe the Exalted Fae take more Lovecraftian shapes in Eberron?

I would also separate Eberron Rakshasa from the Exalted variant. Eberron Rakshasa are Chessmaster type demons, whereas Exalted Raksha are The Fair Folk

I guess your right, I'm not that familiar with the rules of Exalted.
On second thought, perhaps we should make it 4 Character Levels to 1 dot of Essence. This would make level 20 characters equivalent to an Essence 5 Solar.

Hrmm... It seems the Wyld combines facets of Thelanis, Dal Quor and Xoriat with a dash of Lammania...

Maybe the Exalted Fae take more Lovecraftian shapes in Eberron?

I would also separate Eberron Rakshasa from the Exalted variant. Eberron Rakshasa are Chessmaster type demons, whereas Exalted Raksha are The Fair Folk
Idea: Perhaps the majority of Eberron's planes are part of Eberron's protection from the Wyld. Just like Fae can only enter Creation at its edges (and not from the sky or from underground), the raksha can only enter Eberron through certain of the planes, forcing upon them the shapes and natures of D&D outsiders and elementals.

Kyeudo said:
On second thought, perhaps we should make it 4 Character Levels to 1 dot of Essence. This would make level 20 characters equivalent to an Essence 5 Solar.
Sounds good.

Idea: Perhaps the majority of Eberron's planes are part of Eberron's protection from the Wyld. Just like Fae can only enter Creation at its edges (and not from the sky or from underground), the raksha can only enter Eberron through certain of the planes, forcing upon them the shapes and natures of D&D outsiders and elementals.
That's a pretty good idea.

How should religion be handled?

In Eberron, religion is a mystery. No one knows if the gods actually exist. Although numerous divine powers do exist, things like the Silver Flame and the Undying Court, actual Gods are not seen walking on Eberron*. Most religions are in fact not devoted to gods, but ideals and powerful forces.

Divine Magic comes from faith, and if one has a strong faith in a given thing, one might gain the ability cast divine magic.

This helps explain things like the Warforged Mysteries.

(Although, it is said that the Traveler walks among men, giving gifts...)

How should religion be handled?
In Eberron, religion is a mystery. No one knows if the gods actually exist. Although numerous divine powers do exist, things like the Silver Flame and the Undying Court, actual Gods are not seen walking on Eberron*. Most religions are in fact not devoted to gods, but ideals and powerful forces.

Divine Magic comes from faith, and if one has a strong faith in a given thing, one might gain the ability cast divine magic.

This helps explain things like the Warforged Mysteries.

(Although, it is said that the Traveler walks among men, giving gifts...)
I'm not quite sure. Exalted has religion that is more about practicality than about faith. You worship the gods you do because you think the benefits you get from that beat the benefits that some other gods would give you for the same prayers.

Perhaps we need to define the nature of Eberron's dieties, since they are vastly different from Exalted's gods.

First, do they actually exist or not? If they exist, we can model many divine powers (especially the ones that can be taken away for changing alignment) as being literally gifts from the gods. If not, we have to explain how a paladin can fall (thus losing access to his powers), even though there are no divine beings supplying the power.

On another note, here's a few ideas I had for some Eberron Charms:

TOUGHNESS

Cost: -; Mins: Essence 1; Type: Permanent

Keywords: Stackable

Duration: Permanent

Prerequisite Charms: None

The character is tougher than normal. This Charm may be purchased multiple times, up to a maximum number of times equal to the character's Essence. Each purchase gives the character two additional -0 health levels.

IMPROVED TOUGHNESS

Cost: -; Mins: Resistance 2, Essence 1; Type: Permanent

Keywords: None

Prerequisite Charms: Toughness

The character is significantly tougher than normal. The character gains an number of additional -0 health levels equal to his Essence.

POWER ATTACK

Cost: -; Mins: Strength 3, Essence 1; Type: Permanent

The character can make exceptionally powerful melee attacks. Whenever the character makes a close combat attack, he can voluntarily give up a number of dice from his attack roll to add a like number of successes to his damage roll. The number of dice sacrificed this way cannot exceed the character's rating in the Ability he is using to attack.

SNEAK ATTACK

Cost: -; Mins: Stealth 1, Essence 1; Type: Permanent

If the character can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Whenever the character makes an unexpected attack, he adds twice his Essence to the base damage of his attack.

APRENTICE SPELLCASTING

Cost: 3 motes; Mins: Occult 1, Essence 1; Type: Simple (Speed 5, DV -2)

Keywords: Obvious

Duration: Instant

The character has become initiated into the mysteries of arcane magic. By using this Charm, the character can cast any first level spell he knows. While he does so, however, he cannot move or take other voluntary reflexive actions (although his Dodge and Parry DVs still apply), nor can he use other Charms, even with a Combo.

Unlike other Charms, the effects of this Charm do not take effect until just before the character's next turn. Until then, this Charm can be disrupted. If the character becomes distracted for any reason, including taking damage, he must make a reflexive (Wits+Occult) roll to keep his concentration. The difficulty of the roll is normally 1, but if the distraction was damage, subtract an external penalty equal to the number of health levels lost from he character's successes. If the roll fails, the spell dissipates with no effect.

JOURNEYMAN SPELLCASTING

Cost: 5 motes; Mins: Occult 2, Essence 1; Type: Simple (Speed 5, DV -2)

Keywords: Obvious

Duration: Instant

Prerequisite Charms: Apprentice Spellcasting

The character has become practiced with arcane magic. This Charm works like Apprentice Spellcasting, except that the character can cast any second level spell that he knows instead of any first level spell.

Spellcasting Charms continue to climb, continuing with Master Spellcasting for third level spells and terminating at Archmage Spellcasting, for ninth level spellcasting.

Hmmm... I think my lack of Exalted-Fu is limiting my effort here. Should I ask for help from the Eberron forums?

I don't know what the Eberron forums could do about a conversion to Exalted rules.

Some explanation on my Charm ideas:

With the Toughness and Improved Tougness Charms, I intentionally made them stronger than the equivalent Solar Charm, firstly because the number of them is limited by Essence instead of by an Ability or Attribute and secondly because I don't see anyone from Eberron having more than limited semi-perfect defense charms, so they are going to take more hits and rely more on soak (much like regular D&D fighters).

With the Power Attack Charm, I had to make giving up dice on the attack roll (potential successes that would then turn into damage) worth it, so I made the Charm grant additional successes on the damage roll. Successes get soaked by armor first by the rules, so most of the time this will just be soaked up by the fighter's full plate.

The Sneak Attack Charm is only a damage booster for unexpected attacks, but it scales as the character goes up in Essence, making a single sneak attack from a Essence 5 rogue add 10 extra damage to the attack.

The two Spellcasting Charms are ideas for how to handle Wizard spellcasting. They probably have giant kinks in them, but the idea is that D&D spells don't cost the heaps of Essence and Willpower to cast that Sorcery does, but they will also have relatively minor effects, only catching up to Sorcery at a few specific points and then being eclipsed again. A D&D caster will only have to spend a few motes and a single action to cast a spell, while an Exalt using Sorcery in combat will blow several willpower, half his Essence pool, but the Exalt's spell will likely end the combat and the Wizard's spell will just contribute.

Kyeudo said:
I don't know what the Eberron forums could do about a conversion to Exalted rules.
There might be Exalted players there? *Shrug* Although, if we did get help, but neither party registered on the other forum, it would be hilarious if there would a conversation where you wouldn't quote or link each others posts. It would look like somebody talking themselves.

Thanks for explaining the Charms to me BTW.

Back to religion: Would it be simpler if we treated the gods as being real, well, as real as the flame at least? Still leaves open how to treat some religions. Maybe we should use equivalents from Exalted as a base?

Kyeudo said:
There might be Exalted players there? *Shrug* Although, if we did get help, but neither party registered on the other forum, it would be hilarious if there would a conversation where you wouldn't quote or link each others posts. It would look like somebody talking themselves.

Thanks for explaining the Charms to me BTW.

Back to religion: Would it be simpler if we treated the gods as being real, well, as real as the flame at least? Still leaves open how to treat some religions. Maybe we should use equivalents from Exalted as a base?
Well, what mechanical purpose do we need the gods to fill? Granting divine spellcasting? Granting paladin class features? Thinking about it now, it is really hard to lose your divine spellcasting in Eberron, so we don't need to worry about that. The paladin thing presents more of a problem, since he can fall for committing an evil act, so that is probably the only thing we need to explain.

Currently reading from the beginning of the Exalted 2E Core Book.

Demesnes and Manses: I think there are suitable enough equivalents in Eberron for us to use.

Demesnes: Manifest Zones would be good examples IMO.

Manses: would Sharn count?

Any good ideas for artifacts?

I never thought about including Demenses, but that's a good idea. As for Manses, I don't think we want to make anything from Eberron into a manse. Let's just call it a potential magical development that they haven't fully explored yet.

As for Artifacts, I don't think Eberron regularly produces anything that would qualify as an Exalted Artifact. Magic Items are mass produced and incredibly common, not the one-of-a-kind wonders that regularly come from Exalted.

I'm more interested in figuring out how to relate Eberron's magic items to Exalted so that the Exalted don't just run around with truckloads of gear. See, D&D regulates gear by how much money a PC is supposed to have at a particular level, but Exalted's monetary system is based on how high your Resources Background is, so if they just have a fixed cost, they'll be able to grab tons of potions, scrolls, and other abusable items. On the other hand, D&D gear shouldn't be as epic as Exalted Artifacts, so they should be easier to acquire, so using the fixed Artifact background would gimp Exalts taking D&D items with it. Perhaps we'll need to create a new background called Magic Items to deal with the difference.

Unrelated Idea: Dragonshards are essentially Eberron's three Magical Materials.

Kyeudo said:
I never thought about including Demenses, but that's a good idea. As for Manses, I don't think we want to make anything from Eberron into a manse. Let's just call it a potential magical development that they haven't fully explored yet.
Just something that I thought of while reading the books.

Creation Demesnes seem to be more dangerous than Eberron Manifest Zones on average. This could be a reason why Eberron people haven't had a reason to create (as many) Manses.

I do think there might be some examples of Manses. The Cathedral in Flamekeep could be one. Loli-Pope Jaela Daran certainly gains power while there. Then there are places in Xen'Drik that might count, reminders of the Giant Civilization. But yes, as a whole Khorvaire has not worked on creating Manses.

As for Artifacts, I don't think Eberron regularly produces anything that would qualify as an Exalted Artifact. Magic Items are mass produced and incredibly common, not the one-of-a-kind wonders that regularly come from Exalted.
Ah, OK. I quite haven't gotten the hang on the difference between an Exalted Artifact and a D&D/Eberron Magic Item yet.

I'm more interested in figuring out how to relate Eberron's magic items to Exalted so that the Exalted don't just run around with truckloads of gear. See, D&D regulates gear by how much money a PC is supposed to have at a particular level, but Exalted's monetary system is based on how high your Resources Background is, so if they just have a fixed cost, they'll be able to grab tons of potions, scrolls, and other abusable items. On the other hand, D&D gear shouldn't be as epic as Exalted Artifacts, so they should be easier to acquire, so using the fixed Artifact background would gimp Exalts taking D&D items with it. Perhaps we'll need to create a new background called Magic Items to deal with the difference.
I think the new background idea might work.

A thought that popped into my head was that Background: Magic Items would provide several pieces of equipment per Dot. Maybe one Dot could provide a basic Survival Type Item, a Protective Item and a Offensive Item and a small number of "consumable" items? Too weak/powerful?

Or to be more specific: Player1 takes Magic Item • and chose a +1 Dagger, a +1 Ring of Protection and a Bag of Holding and a few Potions of Healing.

Would this be a good example?

Another idea is that BG: Artifact gives a set of items. Basically the same as the above.

Unrelated Idea: Dragonshards are essentially Eberron's three Magical Materials.
Dragonshards as Magical Materials? Yes, I suppose it fits.

Where would Byeshk, Adamantine and Mithral enter in? What about Soarwood and Livewood?

Just something that I thought of while reading the books.

Creation Demesnes seem to be more dangerous than Eberron Manifest Zones on average. This could be a reason why Eberron people haven't had a reason to create (as many) Manses.

I do think there might be some examples of Manses. The Cathedral in Flamekeep could be one. Loli-Pope Jaela Daran certainly gains power while there. Then there are places in Xen'Drik that might count, reminders of the Giant Civilization. But yes, as a whole Khorvaire has not worked on creating Manses.
I see your point. The lack of Hearthstones is the hard part to explain away, since every Manse has a Hearthstone, but then again where it forms varies and it may not be easily recognized as such.

Ah, OK. I quite haven't gotten the hang on the difference between an Exalted Artifact and a D&D/Eberron Magic Item yet.
Well, a Daiklave is the artifact version of a sword. At its most basic, it deals roughly twice as much damage, more accurate, and parries more easily. This type of weapon is fairly common and has versions that have special powers, up to routing armies single handedly. It costs 2 dots to get a basic one.

A +5 sword deals roughly twice as much damage and is more accurate. They aren't very common and cost a truckload of cash to acquire. They have special powers that amount to more damage.

I think the new background idea might work.

A thought that popped into my head was that Background: Magic Items would provide several pieces of equipment per Dot. Maybe one Dot could provide a basic Survival Type Item, a Protective Item and a Offensive Item and a small number of "consumable" items? Too weak/powerful?

Or to be more specific: Player1 takes Magic Item • and chose a +1 Dagger, a +1 Ring of Protection and a Bag of Holding and a few Potions of Healing.

Would this be a good example?

Another idea is that BG: Artifact gives a set of items. Basically the same as the above.
There is a background that works kind of like that. The Arsenal background, from the MoEP: Dragon-Blooded, grants a bunch of dots that can be spent on artifacts and mundance gear, more than the standard Artifact background.

How would we handle consumables? Exalted doesn't have many consumable artifacts and the ones that do exist are potent for their rating. D&D, on the other hand, has a lot of consumables. Adventurers get potions and scrolls by the truckload. Do we allow them to 'restock' every so often?

Dragonshards as Magical Materials? Yes, I suppose it fits.

Where would Byeshk, Adamantine and Mithral enter in? What about Soarwood and Livewood?
There are the Five Magical Materials (see the capital letters?) and then there are magical materials. The Five Magical Materials are special. They are the basis of nearly every artifact because they channel Essence well, harmonize in specific, easily exploitable ways, and they are nearly indistructible when treated properly.

Other materials with magical properties exist, including adamant, chicasaro glass, vitriol, black ash wood, malfean porcelain, and frozen lightning, but they aren't as universally useful as the Five Magical Materials.

The reason I say that Dragonshards are essentially Eberron's Magical Materials is that they are used in practically every magical item (scrolls are written in dragonshard ink, potions contain powerdered dragonshard, etc.), but they also resonate with Eberron's most major powers (Khyber, Siberys, and Eberron).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back