Exalted 3rd: To Wound the Autumnal City

Cthulhu_Wakes

Black Sun in a White World

Chapter One: Obed

Early Summer, RY 768

Relinquished Marshes, Old Crown Lands

The southern portion of the Crown, deep in marshlands sat hard against the Anon River, is typically a quiet transition between the flatlands and the deeply wooded foothills of the Golgi. Their shadows rim forever the Crown Lands in the distance, a craggy bulwark. To the north and west, the endless steppe. The days grow hot. Afternoon travelers take time to recline in shade 'neath the boughs of willows. The Sun begins his yearly recline toward the Pole of Flame to gather the heat of summer for Creation.

But this once peaceful area struggles: plague batters the marshlands. A region that has stood free for a century of the squabbles of the Crown's nations, its people try to pass their quiet lives in peace. No longer. A bloody flux grips villages along the Anon and people die euphoric, agonizing deaths. The outbreak a morbid mystery: the villages where it began are now charnel houses.

A curse, some call it, judgment from spurned ancestral gods. Whose to say? Local gods are as alarmed as the people with field gods mourning dead sowers, terrified glade lords drawing their courts away from plague zones. Marshers are on the move, trying to escape the plague on foot, but something more insidious drives this malady...but what?

@Skrakes

The road south has been pleasant, as things go. The marshes are a different painting in contrast of the northern Crown region: fruitful and a step back to nature. A less ruinous world.

Orthodox Metropolitans rarely come south save en mission to spread City theological borders. What little word you've heard, rumor, really, the Heterodox may still yet have some holdouts sequestered here, possibly in free-city of Antoo. A handful had fled south after the collapse, pursued by Orthodox agents.

An outbreak of plague is eating at the area. In point of fact, a village you passed a two days ago stood eerily quiet. No watchman to cry challenge, no children by the creek, no men harvesting cane. A few day-old fires with fading banners of smoke and a dog eating at something just inside a vacant doorway.

There are, thankfully, souls on the road here at the tiny Immaculate and native hearth shrines lining the road. Locals kneeling in fervent prayer, burning incense. A widow hoarsely weeps nearby. Island willows shelter desolate-looking souls who've left their villages for fear of the plague. Children chew wild sugar cane.

Sullen eyes watch you pass. In the distance, a small township. Stilt houses, roaring cooking fires, drying clothing, children at play. Alive. The first in a week that is more than bones.

@Grey

The locals call it Manua, though the place seems barely large enough for a name. These are marshers, people living in stilt houses to avoid autumn floods, murky shrines of long gone peoples lurk in the mud outside of town amid the remains of some plaza. No one here gives it much thought; their concerns lie with the sick laid out before you.

This plague is a bizarre one, even in the Crown. The initial symptom is a strong thirst, an aversion to strong light, a weakening of limb and mind. This can be treated and kept under control.

No, the issue comes when they progress. The afflicted become...euphoric in the latter, terminal stages of sickness. Most of them are tied down as they try to venture out into the heat on feeble legs. The disease cuts through the sick, wasting away to a sickeningly lithe form, hollow cheeked and with bloodshot eyes until death finally takes them. They have a hunger no food can sate, a thirst water cannot quench.

"I can promise no payment but perhaps a few relics from that sunken plaza behind the village." Tsi Chi, the alderwoman, says, showing you the sick in a hut-cum-pesthouse. "I'm told it's like this across much of the area." They're all wearing torn rags across their faces like haggard bandits.

"No one is certain from whence it came." She continues. "Is there any help you can give? We have heard of you, sensei, even out here." She hesitates. “We...we can pay.”

@Vanman

Sweltering heat. Summer creeps in upon the Hundred Kingdoms once more. The roads coming down off the foothills of the Golgi are pleasantly shaded, fragrant with fresh pine and cedar, the local shrines clean and gleaming. Presently, you're coming down an earthen causeway within the Relinquished Marshes, at least, that’s what someone at the last post station had called them.

It's like strolling into somewhere in the Southeast, seemingly tropical lowlands filled with all manner of vivid plants and strange wildlife. Wild sugarcane and elephant grass tower in dense islands away from the road. The constant chirring of insects lines the very air. A trail of folk are heading in the opposite direction toward those now-distant foothills. Few look at you. They carry what few belongings they have in wraps or on the backs of asses.

A voice calls out. “Hello, friend.” A wizened old man stands on the side of the road, hands folded over top of a gnarled walking cane. The dust of so many traveling feet hasn’t powdered his fine clothing nor does the heat seem to touch him. His eyes are aged jade. “Rare to see folk traveling into the marsh these past weeks. How fares the road?”

@JayTee

The Old Crown Lands. In truth, it takes only a week's journey by horse to reach its borders through the Golgi passes, but it has always been a world apart from the other Hundred Kingdoms. Something talked about in the same breath as Gloam or Sijan or Wu Jian in terms of distance or culture. But they are neighbors, brothers, your father would have said.

But as it stands, you are a stranger in a strange land. The only thing you have remotely in common with these people is a language, and that's debatable at times.

Your uncle knows this all too well. He's a worldly man, despite the horror and cowardice of his betrayal. There has always been more behind his eyes. With some of his masked killers still on your trail, perhaps he'd known to corral you in a corner of the Kingdoms.

The road is an earthen causeway through a vibrant rice paddy that stretches far afield. And yet...something is off.

Roll base Wits + Awareness, difficulty 2, please. No need for Danger Sense specialty.

@Sarky

This is an old part of the Hundred Kingdoms. Ruins stacked upon ruins further north and cultures old as the Realm, if not older, going through the troubled motions of trying to adapt to the modern Age. The Antoo, the Metropolitans of Sechal, the sorcerer-scholars of Timur, a place truly outside of the Age.

"In our own time," people here intone. The issues of Nexus, of Great Forks, or even the Realm speed them not. But not all is alien: people are still people. Gossip over drinks and a good meal is as true here as in any place. The place is an old, low-ceiling post station from the Shogunate era. Dark, greased by the residue of generations of passersby and fragrant with a bouquet hash, sweat, and that godawful rot they pass off as stew.

It's a meeting point for any soul coming in or leaving the region. The mountains are behind you now, along with the old cobbles of the wooded foothills. The peal of voices huddles in close.

"...plague took another village..."

"...whatever it was slaughtered Bowie's yeddim with great haste..."

"....'scheduled?' When did you put on airs..."

"...strange folk coming and going of late..."

"...lots of beasts running wild..."

"...mean like that big fucking sword on the back of that one there..."

"...heard the Martyrs are at it again..."

"...don't be an ass, Jin, whisper!..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Whisper

Silence reigned in the Marshlands. On foot, she had passed through several towns, all deserted. In some places, she found people ran as soon as the plague appeared; she even found half-eaten meals, doors left open, laundry still on the line. Some even forgot stores of food, giving her a supply of food. She also helped herself to some clothing that suited her, shedding her Metropolitan gear. She wore the curious silken armor she had found in the City beneath that.

The quiet also gave her time to gather her thoughts.

The Orthodoxy had let her slip free, an error they would soon regret. Lady Ingrid's vision would be fulfilled. She muttered prayers to herself as she made her way down the road. After all, Whisper herself had been Chosen by the city in the Prioress's stead; what else could explain the golden light, the magnificent power that had bestowed upon her. Yes, this was the Will of the City.

She approaches a few of the locals kneeling by the shrine. "Hail," she said, softly, hoping her dialect did not give her away as coming from Metropolitan lands. "What is the name of that township? Forgive me, I am far from home."

Samash

Samash bowed his head slightly to hide the smile, thumbing some fresh tobacco into his pipe. Some things would never change.

He'd been on the road for a long time now. The journey to the Hundred Kingdoms region was lengthy, and he'd made stops on the way; his quarry had visited several towns and cities between Great Forks and here, and her agents had left their mark. He'd managed to talk the local law enforcement to let him speak with the handful of these criminals that had been arrested, these murderers and thieves and frauds with strange tattoos, but it was always the same- They knew little, and what little they did know they were too terrified to share, and no amount of threats or magic would help. A most frustrating situation.

Still, the trail led through the Hundred Kingdoms and into the Old Crown Lands, and so Samash would follow. These lands had seen their share of troubles of late, what with this plague and the desperation it instilled. He'd been accosted by bandits several times in the last week, mostly just people who lost everything to the sickness and with no idea of how to hold a sword, conflicts better resolved by sharing a fire, a meal, and a sympathetic ear rather than by bloodshed. There was little in the way of law out here, and Samash had found compassion to work quite well in its stead.

Lighting his pipe off a nearby candle, Samash sat back and puffed away, content to listen to the gossip and problems of the other customers. Chances were good that his quarry or her minions had passed through here. And the locals seemed happy to talk about "strange folk coming and going of late..."

Echo's Lament

The travel through the Hundred Kingdoms had been both fruitful and satisfying. Yet it had also been frustrating. There was that suzerain in the crumbling kingdom of Mehzurat, the one who looked the other way as bribes carried away children in slave wagons. Children were now safe in Mehzurat, Echo's Lament had seen to that. Sure, it'd taken him several days of performing for the despotic suzerain and his sycophantic court to change the timbre of the man's character. Where once he gladly sold children, now he had an undying desire to see children kept safe, to see children cared for, to see children flourish. Whilst it would have been even more satisfying to shatter the man's bones with Tempestuous Harmony's dissonant chords, the suzerain would find it difficult to put anyone else into the chains of slavery.

The frustrating part of the journey was the total lack of progress on finding her. He would find her, and when he did, he'd get what's his. Of that he was certain. He also knew he needed to be patient. Rushing would gain him nothing. But patience - in this matter - was difficult to cultivate. He wanted...but no. He would wait. He would do what he needed to do to achieve his goal. Even if that meant being...patient.

The Old Crown Lands, though, was another story. Monsters he could face. Corrupt suzerains he could influence. Gods and fae he could charm, dazzle or coerce. This plague was an enemy he could do nothing about. An enemy he could not fight. At least not directly. Perhaps he could help in other ways. One of the more devastating consequences of the plague was the loss of hope. That look of vacant capitulation. If he could play, if he could restore hope in those who heard his songs, then that could be the way he fights this disease. If he could just...

It took Echo's Lament several seconds before he realized somone had spoken to him. Not a big surprise, wrapped up in his thoughts as he was. The man who spoke was somewhat surprising. No dirt from the road touched him. Nor did the weather seem to bother him. Strange. Not many could do what this man was doing. Gods. God-bloods...of a certain type. Other Chosen. Those eyes. This one might bear watching. He winced inwardly. Fresh interactions with those who'd never heard his voice - or lack thereof - before was always straining. But Echo's Lament could play the game.

"Greetings, good sir." The croak grated on nerves. Echo's Lament hated his voice. The ruin of what was once so prized filled him with both rage and anguish. "I simply take me where my path leads. The road is what it is. It fares as it always has, taking folk where they would go. In this land, though, it is certainly emptier. Sadder. It is used to travel, and it's seen little of that of late. The dangers have been few, though, if that is your concern." The musician coughed, dealing with the ravaged remnants that prolonged talking always inflamed. He never let it deter him, though. He wouldn't give her that satisfaction. "And what of you, sir? Do you make egress from this land? May I ask you the same you asked me? How fares the road in this direction?"

I wish to make a Read Intentions action, trying to find out what this man wants. I don't trust his clean clothes. Or his eyes.

[dice]17191[/dice]

@Skrakes

"Manua," an old woman says. "One of the few places here in the draw that's not far gone. They say they've gotten hold of a healer." She stifles a laugh. "Forgive me. I've seen much." Two sickly children huddle beside her, staring at the shrine will doll eyes. "How goes life in the north? Is there plague? Or are we to be damned alone?" The rest of the souls near the shrine and resting under the boughs are distant, distracted.

Whisper

"Seems only you are cursed, I fear. But woe in the north. Metropolitan infighting. Bickering lords. Much as it ever was." Whisper glances at the shrine. A stark reminder that Gods are inconstant and cruel. Only the City grants true certainty to the heart. Then she looks at the children.

"You look hungry." She kneels down to see eye to them. "Is this alright?" She reaches into her pack some pilfered food; just tough, dried turkey, but more than palatable in hungry times.

Yugo walked the dusty road in silent contemplation. His hunting hawk perched on his shoulder moving restlessly from one foot to the other as it wished to fly, but the farmhands tending the rice would doubtless be uncomfortable with a deadly animal moving about their fields so freely, so Yugo keep a sturdy grip on the animal.

Sensing a shift in the wind, his hawk tilted it's head sideways, which was Yugo's own cue to pay attention.

Wits 2 + Awareness 4 = 6 dice, spending 5m on Sensory Acuity Prana for double 9s and rerollig 6s.

[dice]17224[/dice]

Haha, might as well not have bothered with the charm. At least it's scene long.

@Sarky

They seem all too happy to gossip once the initial bluster and shock of a friendly stranger passes with proper decorum. They're genial enough, hairlines shaved back in the quaint tradition of some northern parts of the Hundred Kingdoms. "Ever since the plague crept into our homes a few months back, all kinds of queerness has erupted." The keeper of the post interrupts briefly brings over a bowl of wine and a customary bowl of rice and fish stew. "Thank you, Eji. Yes, where were we..."

"Strangers." One murmurs, sipping tea.

"Strangers! Yes. All sorts of strangeness abound. "The Martyrs are about. That's never good business. We'd thought they'd taken contracts up north or perhaps gone to Vaneha. Sordid lot. Sellswords. Said they're on a hunting contract for beasts. Pfah. Only beasts they hunt are upon two legs. And what's more, with the plague doing its business and everyone vacating, whose to say what they're at? Rumor has it they purged a village some miles north of here due to the plague, but none of them are laid up sick. Traders and smiths that are able to stand are called to their camps constantly. No sickness."

They prattle on about the Martyrs a while longer before switching tacks. "Our village priest has divined dark portents lately, darker still than the plague, than the occluded business of the Martyrs. We've been lucky here. Marshes are literally over the hill, but it may well be walking to the Western isles."

@Vanman

He actually seems greatly pleased in a way about all this traffic along the path. The road is a traditional cart path, sees enough people year by year, but this is seemingly exceptional. This...man has a strong bond with the road. It is his. "I dare say," he starts, "that for me, life is going fairly well these past few moons. Many pairs of feet shod the earth of this old road. Does my old heart some good." He trails off into a contemplative silence filled with the march of weary feet.

He perks up, "Where are my manners? May I get you a drink for that scratchy throat? I am Utapa, road patron and enthusiast. I'm delighted to say the plague does not yet bother my road, all thirty-two miles of it. Oh, it festers in some spots off road, but not on it. No, sir."

@Skrakes

After realizing this is no jest and you won't strike them for the scraps, they'll gratefully take the food...then tear into like starving wolves. Dirty little fingers tear white meat and stuff, stuff, stuff into hungry mouths. The woman laughs, nods to you, "Thank you, stranger." She leans forward, places a hand upon the brass shrine, wiping soot away from the weathered god's face. "So it seems we are alone. Even Antoo avoids us. Beasts stalk the countryside. A village on the outlands of the marshes was trampled to kindling by the great walkers, emperor sloths. Not a soul survived." She stifles another laugh, looking saddened. "I know of it only because our group came upon it. We were going there for shelter. The plague hadn't troubled them yet."

@JayTee

Almost as quickly as your hawk, you take notice of a thin beam of a smoke rising in the air. The day lacks wind and heat is already starting to close in for the afternoon. Not the smoke of a cooking fire, but a bonfire or something larger. It's so clear now that you see it, but to a casual observer, it'd be easily missed, rising from the scrub pines beyond the road, beyond the paddy.

Samash

Samash puffed thoughtfully on his pipe as he listened. He disliked mercenary companies for the most part; Armies at least had to answer to a city's ruler or its people, which usually limited their darker sides. These poor people had enough trouble with this bizarre sickness without having to put up with a bunch of armed men with no oversight.

"Dark portents are getting more common everywhere, it seems. I've been on the road for weeks and most of the people I've met have been refugees from some calamity or another. That or bandits, and even they'd mostly rather be back home farming or smithing instead of running from a plague."

He sighed, expelling a plume of grey blue smoke, and started fumbling in a coin pouch for the price of his meal.

"Is there a healer or wise woman or similar about? If I'm heading further in to these lands I suppose I'd best be prepared..."

Echo's Lament

A melancholy smile spreads across Echo's Lament's face. "A drink would be most welcome, Utapa," he said in his croaking, broken voice, "but I'm afraid water will do little to appease the croaking that emanates from this throat. I am, good sir, Echo's Lament, at your service. I am pleased to know the plague does not yet bother your road, all thirty-two miles of it. Let us hope it continues that way. I fear the plague has its own mind, and goes which way it wants, regardless of road, trail or highway."

The bard takes the proffered water and drinks deeply, washing the grit of the trail from the residuum of his throat. When he's finished, he hands the cup back to Utapa and smiles. "Many thanks, good Utapa. I will make an offering by the roadside this night, thanking you in my prayers for the kindness you have shown as well as for the vigilance with which you keep your domain. In the meantime, may I offer you a song, as a more immediate payment for your kindness? My voice has little to offer, but Tempestuous Harmony" he said, patting the sanxian on his back, "more than makes up for it. Will you allow me to do this?"

I'm pretty sure, but I want to do another Read Intentions action to see if Utapa is a god. I am using Motive-Discerning Technique for this action. [dice]17226[/dice]

This is actually 5 successes because Motive-Discerning Technique gives me double 9s.

Whisper

"It seems we live in a time of great misfortune, ma'am." Whisper stands. "But keep faith. The Gods are with us." And so is the City. "I must be off. Good luck."

Whisper sets off for Mauna. They found a healer. Couldn't possibly be that man, right?

Yugo

His curiosity getting the better of him, Yugo decided to make his way towards the bonfire down the road. To what purpose someone would desire such a blaze at this time of the day was beyond him, so it was definitely worth inspecting.

@Sarky

"Aye, in Manua. Down the road a few miles. Can't miss it. Floating town amidst the reeds. A town of fishermen, drawers of good water, and I think a few learned types. They have a wise woman, but I think she's taken the plague. I know not if she's alive, but they have pulled in a healer from hereabouts. Hopefully he brings them good tidings." The men polish off their dishes and drink heavily from an urn of lychee. "From whence do you hail, friend?"

@Vanman

If he had it his way, there would be traffic on this road until the end of Creation. Until the Wyld came roaring in to swallow it all up. For now, with you, he's making polite smalltalk with a fellow being of the Essence, of the emboldened spirit. "I think a bit of music would do every heart within hearing some good, my boy." He claps his hand, gathering attention from Wayfarers, each looking at him like they'd never seen him before, but unafraid. "My good people! Some music, to lull the pains of travel."

Don't forget you can speculate as to one of his intimacies.

Radiant Shine

Shine's moustache twitches with his grimace, leaned over a writhing, stinking victim. There is a gleam of revelation in her eyes, and Shine feels cold sweat creep over his back.

"No pay," he says, softly, his voice rough like a man married to his pipe. "Enough food to eat, and a place to lay a bedroll, but no pay, Tsi Chi."

He reaches out with strong, gentle hands, to lay them upon the sick.

Acceptable to activate Flawless Diagnosis?

Samash

Another thoughtful puff of smoke.

"I suppose I hail from the city of Great Forks, a ways back west, but with all the wandering I've done in the last year I don't know if I'd call it home any more."

He left his payment on the table, slung his blade across his back, and stretched.

"I should get back to it. I'm searching for someone. The trail has led into these lands, and I hope it leads right on through and out the other side, you and your neighbours have put up with enough recently. All the same, if any of you hear tell of someone sporting strange tattoos, I'll be in Manua for the next day or two, and would very much appreciate hearing about it. May your preferred gods treat you well, gentlemen."

Glancing at the crowd with Infallible Watchman's Eye to see if mention of tattoos or searching for unpleasant people or being from Great Forks causes any nefarious reaction: if a case scene or profile character action is warranted, I get to know who and what gave them away but any real details only come after a successful roll.

Echo's Lament

Echo's Lament smiles at Utapa's enthusiasm as he swings Tempestuous Harmony into his hands. He plucks at each string, making sure the tuning is just right. He readjusts the positioning of Tempestuous Harmony once, twice and, finally, a third time. When he's ready, he looks at Utapa and then at anyone else who is paying attention.

"Please forgive my voice. I won't be accompanying Tempestuous Harmony with it, but I know it requires some cultivation before one is used to its particular rasp." There is a pause as Echo's Lament looks at anyone paying attention to what he is saying. "In this time of hardship, it is easy to forget what makes us strong, what makes us able to face each day. What is that? It is each other. It is each person caring for someone, even if that someone is a stranger. We look out for one another. It is one's friends - be that from childhood, from family, or from happenstance. This song is meant to reflect that in each of us which can reach out and share a laugh, or ease a pain."

As he closes his eyes, Echo's Lament begins to play. It starts with a lone note, forlorn and solitary, isolation wrapping the listener. Soon, though, a second note starts faintly and, as it builds, the timbre of the music changes. The isolation and solitude transforms; where once there was loneliness, now there is companionship and, with that companionship, hope and joy. A lilting cadence supplants the echoing solitude, one string marking the sound and one hand marking the rhythm, as if someone is walking or skipping with nary a care. Behind that meter, a jaunty tune is plucked from the other two strings, expressing laughter and pleasure and delight and jubilation. The speed increases and there is a sense of a crowd dancing, whirling and careening with abandon. The feeling of affinity resounds through the music and, as it passes through each individual who hears it, that affinity grows and spreads.

Such a pace cannot last, however, and now the tune slows. Sorrow begins to fill the air, much as everyone experiences, but the sorrow is neither overwhelming nor prodigious. Instead, a remnant of that affinity spreads and dilutes the sorrow, makes it bearable. Another thread, also expressing sympathy, joins the remnant and the sorrow grows dimmer. Empathy for those who are close builds and spreads and, as it does so, the song intensifies, enhancing those feelings of compassion and understanding. The sorrow is still there, but it is now surrounded by the compassion, the understanding, the empathy, and the sorrow fades to the background.

The tune changes once again, encompassing all that came before it. There is the sorrow, there is the playfulness, there is the jubilation, there is the empathy, there is the understanding. The song now is an expression of all of that, and it resounds in each listener, touching those emotions as they mark said listener. The sounds build and there seems to be more instruments filling the song, almost as if those emotions touched by each listener are expanding the song, and touching each other. The music builds, builds again, climbs even higher, crescendos, then falls, falls, falls, falls, and then....silence.

Okay. I'm kind of blowing my load here but what the hell. Plus, I sort of want to try out the social system, so here goes. First, I've spent 3m already on Motive-Discerning Technique. What I want to do is an Instill action to create a Minor Intimacy of friendship to me in Utapa. Anyone else is gravy. I am using Harmonious Presence Meditation, which grants me three bonus dice to any social action excepting Stealth, as well as lower the cost of all Social charms by one to a minimum of 1. I'm using it for Performance. This costs 5m (all essence right now is coming from Personal. I'm using Masterful Performance Exercise, which grants one success and allows me to reroll 1s until 1s don't appear. This costs 1m because of the reduced cost, bringing the cost for this action to 6m and my total expenditure to 9m. I'm also using Perfect Harmony Technique, which gives me double 9s; this costs 1m, bringing my total for this action to 7m and my total expenditure to 10m. My base Performance with my sanxian is 10 (Cha 4 + Per 5 + Sanxian specialty 1), three dice from Harmonious Presence Meditation, one success from Masterful Performance Exercise, and two successes from Tempestuous Harmony. So. Here goes.

[dice]17251[/dice]

[dice]17252[/dice]

Well, I like that. So. I have a total of seven successes for the roll, because I double 9s, plus three successes as already mentioned, for a total of 10 successes. Plus any stunt dice and, if my Appearance exceeds his, I get dice for the difference. Let me know if you need anything else.

@Skrakes

Folk set up crude shanties and lean-to near the shrines, if nothing else than to escape the midday heat.

Manua itself is sprawling for a marsher village. Stilt houses and floating walkways leading out into reeds and jetties. A channel meanders through the scrub and grass toward the hidden Anon. A large sunken plaza of sorts rests just outside the village. Children at play on stilts pole-vault from broken column to broken column. Civilization feeds upon ruins in these lands. Their laughter provides a stark contrast to the seeming quiet fallen over Manua. Young girls putting clothing out on lines stop and stare.

One simply points, unbidden, to a large common house in the center of town. "The plague is there." Masked villagers flit in and out with fresh rags and slops.

@Grey

The wretched soul's eyes lock with yours. "I hear...the sea..."

One of the other elders speaks up, "Some of them have said things similar to that, but again...we're at a loss."

Absolutely! Rock and roll with that Perception + Medicine.

Whisper

Though she knew not why, Whisper drew closer to the common house. Technically, she was a priestess of the Metropolitan Order. Perhaps she could whisper some prayers over these lost souls. She moves without fear, confident of the City's blessing, through the front door.

@JayTee

It's further than you thought, and soon you find yourself at the edge of the paddy. The land gives way to flattened and sopping mud. Here and there are earthen causeways. The true heart of the marshes. Ahead, the smoke is rising in a large column. A single tree looms here, one of the only ones in sight. A patch of firm ground surrounds the wizened old thing. Not a single leaf lives upon any branch, as if standing here in the midst of winter's embrace. Before it lies the smoldering origin of the smoke.

A pyre of a dozen or more carbonized corpses.

@Sarky

"Home is inside." The leader of this roundtable says, a pudgy man with a great, wiry beard. "All men carry home inside, same as we carry Hell. The Demon City may exist, containing all the fury of the damned, but Hell exists within us too. Sometimes, it has a voice." The men mumbled in the ways of learned men and nod. Each of them toasts you good health and wishes you the best.

Manua, for their talk, seems all the closer. The walk takes barely an hour on the packed road and the Sun is still high and bright. Mosquitoes compete with gnats for who gets the airspace around your head. Soon the buzzing is swatted away by perhaps the most enchanting music played in your year on the road. A veritable wall of people, traders, and refugees surround the musical source. There, in the center, sits a young man upon a stump, the center of the awed silence around you as the notes begin to rise, rise, and rise to a climax. Beside him is a gobsmacked minor deity whose eyes verily bulge from his head in astonishment. Some of the crowd sway, eyes closed, in what looks like the first bit of peace they've had in weeks.

@Vanman

It seems the whole marsh has hushed with a sense of deep profundity. Some of the families around you are huddled close together, briefly whole again in spirit and beaming. The old god beside you weeps as do numerous others. Seemingly the entirety of the road for the better part of a mile is gathered round, soaking in relief on this hot day. A collective breath lets out when the music fades away. These troubled people seem renewed and blessed under the Sun.

A tide of praise and cheers erupt. Old women and men dab their eyes. Utapa rests a hand on your shoulder, says, "You've honored these people, me, and this very road. I am taken aback. How did you come to learn such music?"

I'll call that suitably impressive enough to be our first three-point stunt. Take two more auto successes and two more dice to roll. Gain also two points of temporary Willpower! This can take you over your max. You've instilled a deep tie of friendship in everyone who listened, save Sarky. That's entirely up to him.

Samash:

With a wave, Samash left for Manua. There was a spring in his step, despite the troubles of the region. He always felt better out under the sun. Setting a brisk pace for the town, it wasn't long before he encountered the crowd, just standing there in rapt attention. He couldn't blame the; the musician's skill was astonishing, the sort of thing Samash had heard in the operas and theatres of Great Forks. He was sure a man in the crowd had attempted to mug him in the last fortnight. It would seem he had taken Samash's advice and gone home to be with family.

Watching him now, brought closer to a wife and child by the music, watching the notes soothe frustrations and bring tears of joy, all under the glory of the noonday sun.... This was a perfect moment, capturing what the world could be, if only we had the courage to stand together and make it so.

When the musician had finished, Samash felt it was only right to join the line of people queuing up to thank him, and thank the god who allowed him to play such music on his lands.

I think I arrived a little late for developing an intimacy, but there'll be more to come I'm sure. Mostly just want to meet the god and the MYSTERIOUS MUSICIAN OF MYSTERY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back