Double-Jointed Dilema

Runelord

I'm preparing a "blitz" campaign of "Doughter of Nexus", and one of my players wants to be a Lunar (the other two are playin Solar and an Abyssal). Now, he wants to take Double-Jointed merit at 3pt cost, and a Solar player thinks it's overpowering. Now the way we've been reading Scroll of Heroes 3pt cost should work as folows:

- plus 3-die bonus on all Dexterity, Athletics and Larceny rolls;

- external penaltyof -1 for everyone who tries to grapple him.

Solar player stated that merit is poorly writen and that they must have thought to add bonus dices only to some balance, escape and stealth rolls etc. , and deffinitely not to atack rolls. So I have three questions:

1. Should bonus dices be applied to atack rolls;

2. Should this modify Parry and Dodge DVs;

3. If one of above is true, is three point cost too cheap for such a bonus, and what cost would be more apropriate?

To state my opinion, I can see how Hypermobility (that's the medical term) helps in close combat by giving you a wider range of combat moves. Basicaly, you can move your limbs in a way that other men can not, and that gives you certain advantage in offence as well as defence.

As for cost I think that it could be doubled, that is make it 6pt and 4pt for Lunars (instead of 3pt and 2pt respectively) as it IS a very usefull bonus. On the other hand, why raising the cost just because it's usefull.

Please refrain from stating that merits and flaws are fundamentaly wrong and should be ignored.

1. No.

2. No.

3. Any affordable cost is too cheap if 1 or 2 are true.

Runelord said:
As for cost I think that it could be doubled, that is make it 6pt and 4pt for Lunars (instead of 3pt and 2pt respectively) as it IS a very usefull bonus. On the other hand, why raising the cost just because it's usefull.
Why bother trying to balance anything?
Double-jointed as it currently exists is a disruptive but preventable presence in a game. It's an extremely cheap, permanent non-Charm bonus to attacks.

Another way to look at it: if you assume that it does add dice to attacks, can you imagine any character that could take it not doing so?

If you see a mechanic that everyone will always take because they'd be fools not to, then likely that mechanic is totally broken (or, perhaps, being misread).

I have this Merit in a game I am playing in. Both the ST and I assumed that the three dice bonus worked the same as the one die bonus in that it applies to "all grapple rolls and to all rolls in which such flexibility benefits the character". We both figured that this caveat was left out of the second section either because it was assumed or there was poor editing. This serves to balance it effectively in the game.

Also, when using it this way, the additional dice still apply to Dodge when used properly with a Stunt. Or when your player says, "I am going to do a dodge like in the Matrix". I haven't used this one, but I am pretty sure someone out there has or will.

Hey, from a medical point of view (as in, coming from a doctor, or at least a future one), hyperlaxity (which is actually the correct term), confers some benefits, yes, but also its fair share of weaknesses. For one, while they may be more dexterous because they have improved mobility, their joints will dislocate with more ease and by applying less force. This not necessarily is permanent (e.g. contortionists) but can still be painful and DEFINITELY cause long-term sequelae.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back