Dolls

RebekahWSD

While I meant to not post until after I tried to actually complete something, I've...decided to post early.

Today, I've decided to try and create a Secret doll, given I have access to a sewing machine, and a mother who excels at arts and crafts. If I do manage to complete it (and it doesn't look horrible), I shall post pictures. Otherwise, I'll just be sad, and post pictures of horribly disfigured doll things :(

And onward towards the doll making!

Oh, and...hello. This is only, my second post, I believe.

100_0217.jpg

This is the first stage of horrible doll making. Note, no features yet. They will be very very difficult for me to do.

Edit - Features have been added. Once hair is done, will upload picture. Note, hair has to be flat, given I don't have cotton batting, black dye, and lots of starch.

Ok, so the doll is as done as I can make it (I fell asleep before doing the hair, so the hair may look wonky.) Also, the third picture here will look weird, since I took a picture of myself holding the doll, but...I didn't really want my face about, ergo, the flash. Needed a scale photo. Finished pictures.

100_0218.jpg

100_0219.jpg

100_0220.jpg

Done, done. Must sleep more now.

Hmm... Secret may look good in dreadlocks...

(Impressive! We haven't had a non-drawn fanarts&crafts since that sculpture of Mew Cai.)

Glee! If I get more energy again, (and access to the sewing machine again too) I'll likely try and do a Misho doll, once I see more of his limbs.

The doll's eyes stare into my soul...

I think she looks even more huggable than the original Secret!

Doll creation isn't so bad. Normally, one would need pinning needles, and more than one sewing machine needle. Construction went as such.

Starting at the beginning - Friday night, I decide, I shall visit my mother. Something goes off, I decide to make a doll while I'm there.

Drive down Saturday. Decide on general pattern. Drive back up, buy several yards of white duck cloth for the body, a couple yards of egyptian black cloth for clothes, and mistakenly, some grey cloth. Buy a bag of stuffing. Drive back down to mother's house.

She, being she's better at the general, drawing out of sketches and such, draws the shape of the body out on newspaper. Cut out paper. Sketch on duck cloth, remember, need multiple times, ergo, if you double the cloth, you'll still need to sketch out 2 legs and arms, four 8 pieces of arm and 8 pieces of leg alltogether.

Cut out doll. Parts don't quite fit each other, but it's a doll. Less noticeable then clothing. Go sew up the arms and legs and torso inside out, leaving openings. Turn bits right side out with help of spoon to get the corners out.

Begin to stuff the dolls head. Realize the neck will fall over without a dowel to keep it's head up. Hrm...no dowels. Use wooden spoon that's ancient. So it has a wooden spoon in its head. Finish stuffing body, then limbs. Barely had enough stuffing. Sew up gaps by hand now.

Sew limbs onto body by hand. Free form cut out clothes, hence why the shirt looks...odd. Sew up shirt by hand, sew up skirt on machine. While sewing skirt, find realllly old belt to be used as, well, the belt/weapon.

Carefully sketch the face out a couple of times on spare duck cloth. Sketch out face on the doll with pencil, fill it in carefully.

Sleep for a long time on a couch since I fell asleep during said process.

Wake up. Find a large skein of yarn sitting on the table, start to make hair lanks from it. Finish making hair lanks, sew onto dolls head. Trim hair. Remember, musn't pull hair, it'll likely fall out.

That is how the doll was made.

I'm still incredibly impressed - last thing I made without an official "Very Easy" pattern was a veil and hipscarf (the veil is fold and pin edges to hem, sew straight lines, hipscarf is same but sew on pre-made fringe - the only hard part is sewing thin fabric w/o jamming the machine), so a doll seems impossible to me :P

...to say nothing of doll clothes. I have tried and failed at those many times! :mrgreen:

bowu.gif
*bows before your superior sewing skills*

It seems the doll is a "creepy doll", according to my other. He doesn't want it sitting in the kitchen, near the knives, for when it comes to life, it'll kill us all, he says. I don't think she looks too creepy...though, my stepfather said the thing looks like something from a nightmare before christmas, hrmm.

Well, it is an abyssal, the doll reeks with resonance. Try increasing the huggability factor and the problem goes away.

Hehe, not really. It was either hold the doll around the midsection, or hold it by it's spoon neck. And really, I thought, strangling the doll, not so good looking :P

Synapse said:
Well, it is an abyssal, the doll reeks with resonance. Try increasing the huggability factor and the problem goes away.
Would increasing huggability not increase resonance issues?

The "problem" I talked about there would be the creepiness. I don't really expect anything directly linked to Secret not to suffer spontaneous combustion anyway.

:P

Well, to deal with creepy, the solution could be to use Secret's first hairstyle.

She looks even more adorably vulnerable with that. I think.

Which was what I was trying to do...I just didn't have any flat yarn, just some wavy yarn (it came like that, the waviness, eh). And, it seems I'll actually be making a Ten Winds doll next, a friend wants one, so I shall make one, yup yup. That'll be in a bit though, I need to likely see legs first. Legs...would be a good thing to see before making dolls. Though, Secrets legs were guessed at...heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back