Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • What?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CM-Colorless

Do Americans exist?

It might sound like a stupid question but hear me out. Ask yourself, what is an American?

Is it a citizen of the united states? I think this would be the most common reply to that question but we know that in the past and into today there are people who attain citizenship who use it to commit terrorist acts or to spy on our government or citizens or what have you or to otherwise undermine the American nation. Would we call these people Americans? Of course not their loyalties lie outside of America and they do not consider themselves Americans, so citizenship can't make somebody an American.

But even more than that, citizenship can't be our definition of an American because citizenship ends where the government does, if the government collapses there are no more citizens of that government. Look at the short lived Rhodesia which became modern Zimbabwe, there are no more Rhodesian citizens, they are citizens of Zimbabwe and anyone who follows the consequences of that issue those whites in Zimbabwe are largely considered in a cultural sense Rhodesians not Zimbabweans, save where legal definitions are concerned.

Look also in the case of Germany and it's three Reich's, from Holy Roman Empire to the German Empire to the Nazi Reich, "Germans" are something separate from the form their government took throughout history. People prescribe their nations they do not describe them. That is to put it another way, France is where the French live, the French don't live in France. This why governments can collapse and entire maps redrawn without the "French" or "Germans" or "English" or whatever disappearing even if their nation-state does. The Irish did not stop or start being Irish when Great Britain took over their island or allowed for Ireland to become a sovereign nation, they were Irish in spite of their federal governments not because of them.

So citizenship can't define a people.

Okay so what do other people groups have? Shared history! After all the Angles and the Jutes and the Saxons are all different historic ethnic groups but through shared history they merged into the Anglo-Saxons who founded England (or Angleland). But modern Americans don't have a shared history with one another. The first Americans were all of Anglo-Saxon, Dutch and Scottish (and a minority German) heritage, they all shared their own common history of either coming to America for capitalist gain or to escape religious persecutions in Europe. So while that may be true of the founding population of the nation black Americans have a very different history, they were brought here not because of their desire for freedom or to make something better for themselves but in bondage and to do other men's labor. Black Americans do not share in that heritage as the founders.

And before anyone thinks I've made this a white black issue the same is true for Americans whose ancestors were Irish or Italian or Polish or the latter wave of Germans, their history in America is very, very, different from Anglo-Americans, coming decades if not a century (or even centuries if their ethnic group arrived largely post 1981) after the nation was already founded and established.

If blacks and whites (of all ethnic origin) and Hispanics are all Americans than shared history cannot be what defines who is and who is not American.

And to that effect obviously race doesn't define who is and who is not American.

Is it shared language perhaps? Well there is no American language like there is a German or Spanish language. You could argue English is our unifying language but Spanish is becoming more and more widespread and English isn't a uniquely American language it just identifies us in the Anglosphere portion of the world alongside with Canadians and Australians who are not Americans.

Shared religious tradition? We are a majority christian nation but not exclusively and even back to the founding of the nation there were competing and very different sects that existed together, that can't be it.

Ideological similarity? Yeah, I don't think anybody will pretend there is any semblance of ideological unity between Americans.

Unified belief in an economic policy? See above.

Ah! I have it, cultural unity.... except well when there isn't a secession crisis going on because people don't want to be in the same nation as each other like in 1812 (30 years after the constitution was ratified and centered around New-England) or 1830 (20 years later with the abolitionists) 1861 (30 years after that, aka the civil war) and after that I grant it settled down for about a century until the idea of Aztlan and chicano nationalist movement started popping up in the 60's alongside Black seperatist movements which most famously men like Malcolm X associated himself with and 40 years later there are again secessionist thoughts and leanings growing in popularity amongst American conservatives.

Just, what is an American? There is no shared culture, no shared ideology, no shared history, not even a shared identity as Americans and the only shared thing between us is citizenship which I already laid out reasons why citizenship can't define a people group....

Can anyone say that such a thing as an American even exists?

I would say no for two reasons.

First, there is no country called America. The closest is the United States of America, and being of America is not the same as being America. Being American would be more like being European then English.

And second, those that would be considered Americans are not truly Americans, but descendants of the English, German, Irish, Russian, Italian, Spanish, ect. Immigrants.

Surely you could define an American as somebody as born in the Americas. For example I call myself English because I was born in England but if I were to define myself through my ancestors then I am no longer English - I would be Scottish, Welsh and Italian, heck I could go even further back and say I am also Greek. However I am non of these things I am simply English. If we're looking at it from a 'you didn't start there you started here so therefore you aren't from there you're from here' perspective then not one of us are who we say we are - not even Africans where (evolutionary wise) the first human like being came from. No we would all be Pangaean but no-body calls themselves Pangaean do they? So really you could define somebody by where they were born or where you grew up. For example J.R.R Tolkien was born in Africa, but was raised in England so some say he is African while others say he is English (but no-body says he's Pangaean)

... True, but the way you put it, what we consider Americans (US citizens) would not be the only Americans, but also everyone born in North and South America, but because those are two different continents they would have to be considered differently, as in South Americans and North Americans (Like Europe and Asia).

Exactly; you'd call someone from Europe European but that person lives in the country of France so you could call said person European or French. Someone from the continent of America would be American but also either North or South American.

i might be called an American but that doesn't seem to hold anything anymore, universities seek unique people. Or people like quote an quote African American, Latinos, and Asians. No disrespect meant to any of those people. But i am half Dutch. Is this not unique enough for you or is it that since i am American i am at a disadvantage? We need to take the blinders off of the horse so we can see things in a wider perspective.

No they just love hamburgers unless they are like me and are picky eaters because they are scared that it mite be piosioned. (I am part American my self.)

p.s. You do not want to be completly American will kill you. xD

I think American is just another label people like to slap on things, including themselves. I think if you call yourself American and are devoted to the things that said group of people are devoted to(Freedom, etc.) then that makes you American. It's all about how you look at things. Pesonally I hate labels but if I do put labels it's something more like: 'I've got all kinds of stuff in my background/history/blood line/what ever.' All 'Americans' are just people from all over the world calling themselves the same name because of a common idea. I live in America and consider myself a citizen of the USA, but American is just a label. One that says something about what you think/believe but not one that says who you are.

Hope that was understandable. I'm bad at explaining things but I felt I should give my opinion.

I'd say when some one addresses themselves as an American, it mean they are proud to claim loyalty to a country, in which the reside. Which is fine, if it gives that specific person a sense of belonging, why not? Is it hurting the person whose saying it? I was adopted out from Ukraine, when I was younger, so I don't address myself as one. I address myself as Ukrainian, since that's where I was born. So, if someone says they're American, and were born here. Let them take pride in it. A previous post did give a good point about America not actually existing, and I agree; It doesn't make sense.

Prowlzerz said:
Surely you could define an American as somebody as born in the Americas. For example I call myself English because I was born in England but if I were to define myself through my ancestors then I am no longer English - I would be Scottish, Welsh and Italian, heck I could go even further back and say I am also Greek. However I am non of these things I am simply English. If we're looking at it from a 'you didn't start there you started here so therefore you aren't from there you're from here' perspective then not one of us are who we say we are - not even Africans where (evolutionary wise) the first human like being came from. No we would all be Pangaean but no-body calls themselves Pangaean do they? So really you could define somebody by where they were born or where you grew up. For example J.R.R Tolkien was born in Africa, but was raised in England so some say he is African while others say he is English (but no-body says he's Pangaean)
Pangea wasn't even the 1st super continent if you wanna go that far back....

Anyways back to the original question. I think they exist if you go by the definition of "someone born in either South America or North America." But people who say American as in someone born in the U.S. is not exactly right. The U.S. is the United States of America. Emphasis on the OF. It's not America, the United States of America. Actually to be even more correct it's the United States of North America ( but USNA isn't as catchy....)

According to Geography, no, they don't. What America truly is, is a collection of multiethnic people from around the world.

But what I believe, is that Americans exist in a more, "physiological" manner. "American" people have a type of shared culture, a type of pop culture, and share a basic mindset. Therefore, I believe that the term "American" is acceptable only when addressing someone's cultural beliefs, rather than their background.

[QUOTE="Desu Juice]
According to Geography, no, they don't. What America truly is, is a collection of multiethnic people from around the world.
But what I believe, is that Americans exist in a more, "physiological" manner. "American" people have a type of shared culture, a type of pop culture, and share a basic mindset. Therefore, I believe that the term "American" is acceptable only when addressing someone's cultural beliefs, rather than their background.

[/QUOTE]
Agreed, Being an American is merely a mindset.

I'd say as a cultural identity Americans do exist. As far as geography and ethnicity go, I'd have to say no.

My perspective on this just comes from being the first generation in my family to be born in the States. Unlike my family who eats plenty of rice and Asian vegetables, my diet consists of McDonalds, other fast food and I actually consume foods from different cultures which is unheard of in my family. (I do know how to cook by the way. Be nice and I'll stop by with some cake. ^.~) I also had a conversation with my grandmother where she basically said that she can't call me Chinese because in her mind, I'm not. I don't speak Chinese very well and I know that once they pass away, I'll probably lose the language. My diet is completely different and the language I know best is English.

But this is the sad truth about America. As generation after generation are born into the nation, they lose their ancestor's cultural heritage and adopt the American culture, whatever it may be. (And I'm talking about language, food, clothing, even decorations - everything that doesn't have to do with genetics changes.) Unless the family consistently tries to keep the culture going, most offspring tend to lose it.

Okay, but what about people who descend from indigenous Americans before Europeans set foot (I will not say discovered, since humans can't officially discover another part of land already inhabited by other humans.) What about those people? Wouldn't they be considered American?

I think, Colorless, that you may be confusing country with culture. America is a strange country because, as has been mentioned, many citizens do not necessarily culturally identify with being American. Being a recognized, permanent and/or native resident of a certain geographical area with borders undeniably establishes you as an inhabitant of whatever country currently controls the land, but being a voluntary, rather than circumstantial, citizen of a country is more complicated – there are legal and ideological aspects, as well as culture and heritage to taken into account, which most accurately define citizenship.

When most people talk about "Americans", they are specifically referring to members of the United States. The other inhabitants of the Americas are most typically known as Canadians, Central Americans, Native Americans and South Americans. Rarely do you hear someone refer to "North Americans" unless in contrast. As such I find the argument that the country "America" doesn't exist to be one of semantics, as the United States can be referred to as simply America, and people from the United States as Americans. The American language, for instance, does not comprise Portuguese or Spanish or Quechua. That is because it is understood that in this case the adjective pertains exclusively to the United States. Sometimes, when a country is conquered and its people subjected to foreign rule, such as India during British Imperialism, the citizenship of the people is changed or even revoked. However, the Indian people as a culture could not be defined politically; aspects such as tradition, belief systems and art are an intangible element of cultural heritage that can be preserved.

When Germany under Bismarck invaded Eastern Europe, large parts of Poland became part of Germany. The formerly Polish people were overnight declared German citizens, subject to German law, forced to learn the German language and abide by German customs. Some residents of appropriated Poland were pleased about this because they identified with the German culture, while others found their new conditions unfavorable since they considered themselves Polish. All were officially German citizens, but their cultural and ethnic identity were not always synonymous with their citizenship. Similarly, there are African Americans who identify closest with American culture, and some who reject the American culture and embrace African culture; nonetheless, both would be American citizens, or for those of you who believe there is no country called America, citizens of the US.

Citizenship can't define a people, but it can define the members of a nation. Because there is no adjective such as "United Statian" we can refer to members of the United States exclusively as Americans, so yes, there are American citizens; and because there are people in the world who identify with being a "United Statian" – that is, an American – yes, the American people exist, both legally and as a culture. Are all American citizens American? Now that is a matter which is disputable.

Last edited by a moderator:
This won't be paragraphs of an opinion... I'll just keep it short.

What about the Native Americans? Those who lived here before America became... America.

I answered that question as best as possible, but I will make my proposed position more specific here. Native Americans would certainly be geographical citizens of the land itself, and are legally recognized as citizens of the country America, but while some embrace modern American culture, others define themselves by the culture of their ancestors. Additionally, many Native Americans who are still living in reservations have lost the knowledge how and permission to hunt game, for instance, so they are required to abandon, lose or compromise essential elements of their culture in favor of the Western capitalist lifestyle, just so that they can survive, have basic rights, and afford proper education, living, health care, et cetera, for reservation inhabitants.

It is important to note that many reservations do fine on their own, have managed to attain representative control over their reservation government, and are actually well-off with excellent public services, but not all reservations are like that, and in any case, Native Americans are forced, at least a little, to conform to a culture that isn't originally theirs, which further complicates the definition of citizenship by self-identity and culture. The displacement of aboriginal peoples from their land and culture is a true historical crime and unfortunately the modern American disregard for and hostile behavior towards Native Americans in reservations continues to this day. For crying out loud, we hammered four American presidents, of which three directly led to and condoned their oppression, exploitation, forced relocation and even massacring, onto the face of their holy mountain.

All this said, it is merely my opinion, and not being Native American myself it should be taken with a few grains of salt. I sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone who is in fact Native American and if so, I welcome any venture to set me straight.

From a person who have never been to USA or the kontinent south/north amerika, I can say that the way I (and almost everyone else I know) see American people, is that they are from USA and proud.

But in my opinion I think an American is someone who is proud of theyre country. Like if your proud of, for example. France and live/come from there, you call yourself French. It's just a different way to express how you feel about your origin. And not your whole family tree, because in scientists perspektiv all humans origin from south africa.

So I do believe Americans excist.

Zakwin said:
From a person who have never been to USA or the kontinent south/north amerika, I can say that the way I (and almost everyone else I know) see American people, is that they are from USA and proud.
But in my opinion I think an American is someone who is proud of theyre country. Like if your proud of, for example. France and live/come from there, you call yourself French. It's just a different way to express how you feel about your origin. And not your whole family tree, because in scientists perspektiv all humans origin from south africa.

So I do believe Americans excist.
East Africa. ^-^

All the true America's are extent.

The native America's are just that native American's. They have lived in America as long and the Chinese were in Asia. The black in Africa. The white in Europe.

Sadly there is very few remaining native America's as they were all killed. And those that are left most of them have white in their blood. And the ones that don't their numbers are fastly decreasing too (sex with white people no offense).

As we fight and bicker about where humanity started remember there are four origins of humanity. Asia, Europe, Africa, and the Western hemisphere.

Yes. Just as a citizen of Germany is referred to as a German, a citizen of the USA is called an American. That has nothing to do with states of mind. It is just nomenclature. Oddly enough a Native American has an unusual status. He may either be referred to as one of The People, by his Tribal origins ... or as an American. That is historically a fairly recent development. (I forget exactly when, just some research I did for an RP once. I got sidetracked by the topic of Civil Rights regarding Native Americans.)

Nomenclature aside, if you want to get all political or philosophical about it, any citizen who supports and defends the US Constitution can be regarded as an American. I suppose the better term for this is Patriotism, rather than citizenship.

Mitheral is correct,but as an american(I live in new york) I feel if your born here your American simple as that. Although it's mostly those that live in the U.S regard themselves as American when in actuality Middle Americans South Americans AND Northern Americans can all be named thusly as American

Yes and No at the same time.

Two faces in the same coin.

Your stated facts and the people who will firmly believe they're 'muricans for whatever reason, right or wrong, true or false.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back