Deathlord shards

I'm not saying it was centuries, necessarily, just that Solars DID escape the initial onslaught, and DID hold off the Usurpers for a time.

Didn't say you were. Just wondering if its been stated emphatically how long it took to track down the Solars that escaped the feast.

From the Lunars book, p. 26:

At first, the Wyld Hunt was brutally effective. In those days, the Dragon-Blooded numbered in the hundreds of thousands, and the Sidereals seemed to predict the survivors’ every movement, as well as when and where new Lunars would Exalt. For the first time in their collective existence, the peerless hunters of the Lunar Exalted became prey. Within a generation, all of the surviving Solars were laid low, their Essences trapped or destroyed by the Sidereals. Or so the Lunars believed, though rumors of continued Solar Exaltations continued throughout the long exile.
Emphasis mine. But this pretty much says how long it took. 10-20 years. At least by how we define a generation.....

That could be a Lunar generation. If I recall correctly, a "generation" is the time it takes for something to be born and grow to maturity, ending when it reproduces itself (thereby beginning the next generation), right? Though i suppose for Lunars, that'd still be less than a century.

If we're using the Star trek definition of a generation's worth of time, though... :P

I suppose, technically, yes, that is the case. But don't forget that these books are written not for people living back in the Exalted world but for people in our world. So the frames of reference would be our frames of reference. Were this any other publishing firm, I'd say that the editors would make the distinction were the time period longer. But this is WW, so their policy of "Editing, Schmediting" makes things much more dicey.

But that assumption is undermined by the fact that Creation's years are longer than our years.

A year is a year is a year. When you say how old your character is, do you say 20 years old or do you say 8500 days? Yes, the year is longer but it's still a year. Life expectancy is determined by years, not days, so it's still the standard of measurement of time. As such, a generation is still 20 years.

That's how I read it, anyway. If you want to read it differently and use complicated mathmatical formulas to determine how long a generation is and how old a person is in our time, be my guest. I'm just too lazy to do that.

:-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back