Death...?

OptimisticFire said:
I believe in ghosts. I believe there are two dimensions: this dimension and the ghosts' dimension - life and death. On top of that, I believe whenever we lose consciousness, we visit the death dimension. Ghosts visit our dimension, too...Maybe they sleep as well. That is why I believe we dream and sometimes see things that aren't there.
So, the Fade from Dragon Age? :D

I honestly hope heaven and hell don't exist, it really takes out the point of life for me. In the end life is a combination of happiness and torture, and to leave one of those on their own really removes the point of living for me. I believe an unconscious eternity will be a sufficient end for me, not a worry or care to shred, death is ultimately my life's goal, and I embrace it. I think the 60-90 years that I will spend on this planet will be enough and asking for more is just greedy. My life is sacred and I should cherish the time I have with it and when death comes I will be happy, I have vowed to die smiling because I know all the struggles I have gone though in life will be repaid with eternal peacefulness.

But honestly that's just my flawed philosophy to detour my mind from the normal fear of death. I in no way intended to offend any believers in the Christian religion by saying this, just my honest opinion. I believe there is a possibility of god, I just don't like the idea of heaven and hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The title of this had be thinking people were talking about my cousins novel, called Death? Alas, I was wrong.

My theory is when you die, that's it. No dreams, no nightmares. Just nothing. I'd like to believe in reincarnation though. :D

I think your looking at life the wrong way. Instead of thinking as "the end" think of it as "the final rest". By your comments I can tell your tired from the agonies of daily living, but its going through the struggles that make life worth it which is why, if you're Chrsitian, God gave emotions to let this happen ( I'm not Christian, but this is a good example). If we felt nothing, then we could never feel any of the things you worry over, and the joy unexpected things give. Death is like this. At first level it as an unseeen force that "reaps" all, but on closer look, it is an angel carrying you forward, a friend to take you to your final resting place. Your still young, you shouldn't worry over these things. Time will write you a clear future and when its over, you can finally rest from all of your shifting endeavors. Take it from someone who suffered the same thoughts earlier in life :)

I have heard the argument that people living forever in heaven would get bored. However, this might actually be "disproven" by the fact that God actually has lived forever, and he seems to enjoy it.

Anyways, I'm a Christian of a sort. So, I do believe in Heaven and Hell, and there might be reincarnation, but I won't say that for sure.

Death might be being roomed in darkness while conscious but till my time comes or your's lest us all live to our fullest extent so that we shall 'av something to cherish while in that room.

Well in my honest opinion, I think that this is just one big dream into another, and that this could all just leave us into a bigger and better world that is unknown . I just can't handle the opposition between how if you die, you go to hell or heaven. I rather just live or die in peace all together.

Protagonist said:
I have heard the argument that people living forever in heaven would get bored. However, this might actually be "disproven" by the fact that God actually has lived forever, and he seems to enjoy it.
That arguement is true, but you'd have to remember God is not human so we cannot know how he feels. It is true people could get bored in heaven, but that would also fall true for most things. At a party, there is always the one guy who really doesn't want to be there; why can't heaven be the same? When the only other place is hell or limbo (if you're Catholic) there's only the one choice ,and even then it may not be what you want.

Zediah47 said:
That arguement is true, but you'd have to remember God is not human so we cannot know how he feels. It is true people could get bored in heaven, but that would also fall true for most things. At a party, there is always the one guy who really doesn't want to be there; why can't heaven be the same? When the only other place is hell or limbo (if you're Catholic) there's only the one choice ,and even then it may not be what you want.
I see no point in trying to define a non-existent being. Even some of the ancient greeks knew that men created god(s), not the other way around. Epicurus, for example:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Macaberz said:
I see no point in trying to define a non-existent being. Even some of the ancient greeks knew that men created god(s), not the other way around. Epicurus, for example:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
You can't call a being nonexistant without having proof. Even Epicurus admits there are gods, but limits the influence they have, taking almost a dieist twist on philosophy. Aristotle claims, in his Metaphysics, that there has to be some Prime Mover, an eternal substance in his eyes, that is not subject to change as others things are in life so to keep the order. Otherwise, everything else is perishable. Time and space are eternal, but who makes time and space? God can create it since God is perfect. As for good and evil, think of free will or Epicurus's idea of free will. Free will gives the chance for greater good or suffering. Since, as a species, we are connected one way or another ("For no man is an Island"-John Donne) what greater good or bad affects others, which gives way to evil and suffering of people in the world. Its based on our own free will.

Macaberz said:
Ok, I understand there is nothing I can say to convince you, but can you tone it down a little, we obviously believe that this is the true so, please just take your high atheism and tone it down. (Just a little bit even is fine.)

Hunnyhelp said:
Ok, I understand there is nothing I can say to convince you, but can you tone it down a little, we obviously believe that this is the true so, please just take your high atheism and tone it down. (Just a little bit even is fine.)
There's nothing wrong with Atheism; I'd just like it backed with better logic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that should be respected. Defending your opinion is another question, of course :)

Zediah47 said:
There's nothing wrong with Atheism; I'd just like it backed with better logic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that should be respected. Defending your opinion is another question, of course :)
That's what I am saying, he just offended me (sorry if it was just me)

Death is merely transition. I used to be afraid of it as well, but I realized that wasting my time trying to understand something that I won't comprehend until it actually occurs is folly. Worrying about what happens after I die is pointless because it is simply not for the living to know. I understand the fear, but the remedy to such is pretty simple, live every day to the fullest so you don't even think about the idea of death. Before you know it, it will happen and that's that. Be happy now, because that's what matters.

Saturnity said:
Death is merely transition. I used to be afraid of it as well, but I realized that wasting my time trying to understand something that I won't comprehend until it actually occurs is folly. Worrying about what happens after I die is pointless because it is simply not for the living to know. I understand the fear, but the remedy to such is pretty simple, live every day to the fullest so you don't even think about the idea of death. Before you know it, it will happen and that's that. Be happy now, because that's what matters.
I disagree.

Death may or may not be a "transition", but that doesn't make it irrelevant. Death is part of life, and keeps it running. The end. A boundary. A restriction. This concious of death and time and the end is how we organise our lives; plan them, structure them, live them. There is no lost cause in trying to understand. 70 odd years ago, scientists believed that the atom was the smallest thing, but then they split it open and all this stuff came out.

What if that happened again? Cutting death open, understanding the truth, finding and elixir. I'm not saying that if we keep studies up we'll have the elixir for eternal life. What I'm saying is simple, happiness isn't all that matters. It's cause. Death; the end(?), a meaning to do what you can, while you can.

Hunnyhelp said:
That's what I am saying, he just offended me (sorry if it was just me)
Here's the thing, if I tone down my opinion and sugarcoat it, not only will the message get lost in translation, but I don't feel there is any point in softening up my opinion. Do you think I am not exposed, on a daily basis, to opinions that I strongly disagree with or that I don't hear people say things that offend me? I don't mean to be rude by saying this but if you are offended by someone's opinion then I am afraid the internet is a dangerous place for you, full of grief.

The truth is in the eye of the beholder, if my messages offend you then that is not my problem. Why not? Because the actual offense is taking place inside your head. I can't know in advance what beliefs anyone here has or what cultural background, hence, no matter what I say, I will always risk offending someone, no matter how reasonable and well-weighted my words are.

I think what you're asking me to do is to express my beliefs in a nicer way. I don't think I can be any nicer about it, that's the problem I have. So then my choice becomes to either speak up or remain silent. Now if I had said something nice and Christian-like about God, would you've asked me to tone it down too?

It all boils down to the 'respect' we're supposed to have for religion and medieval superstitions. I am sorry, I don't have that respect. Do you want to know why? I respect people and menkind, born with great intelligence, too much to respect silly beliefs that instill fear, uncertainity and mindless obedience into free, human souls.

To get back on topic: I feel there is little point in worrying over death. I don't know when it will come for me, only that it will. And when it does it will strike without mercy and I will have no more thoughts or feelings.

This greatly empowers me because now my life is not in servitude of some divine being, but it is in servitude of humanity. The notion that death is permanent forces me to assume that I only get one, uno, ein shot at life. Hence, I have to make the very, very most of it right now. Every single day, every single second.

I remind myself of this Macabre fact everyday and it helps me to do the things I care about deeply and profoundly, to make sure that my fleeting existance is of value to immeasureable generations to come. To me, thinking about death makes me live life more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Macaberz said:
Here's the thing, if I tone down my opinion and sugarcoat it, not only will the message get lost in translation, but I don't feel there is any point in softening up my opinion. Do you think I am not exposed, on a daily basis, to opinions that I strongly disagree with or that I don't hear people say things that offend me? I don't mean to be rude by saying this but if you are offended by someone's opinion then I am afraid the internet is a dangerous place for you, full of grief.
The truth is in the eye of the beholder, if my messages offend you then that is not my problem. Why not? Because the actual offense is taking place inside your head. I can't know in advance what beliefs anyone here has or what cultural background, hence, no matter what I say, I will always risk offending someone, no matter how reasonable and well-weighted my words are.

I think what you're asking me to do is to express my beliefs in a nicer way. I don't think I can be any nicer about it, that's the problem I have. So then my choice becomes to either speak up or remain silent. Now if I had said something nice and Christian-like about God, would you've asked me to tone it down too?

It all boils down to the 'respect' we're supposed to have for religion and medieval superstitions. I am sorry, I don't have that respect. Do you want to know why? I respect people and menkind, born with great intelligence, too much to respect silly beliefs that instill fear, uncertainity and mindless obedience into free, human souls.

To get back on topic: I feel there is little point in worrying over death. I don't know when it will come for me, only that it will. And when it does it will strike without mercy and I will have no more thoughts or feelings.

This greatly empowers me because now my life is not in servitude of some divine being, but it is in servitude of humanity. The notion that death is permanent forces me to assume that I only get one, uno, ein shot at life. Hence, I have to make the very, very most of it right now. Every single day, every single second.

I remind myself of this Macabre fact everyday and it helps me to do the things I care about deeply and profoundly, to make sure that my fleeting existance is of value to immeasureable generations to come. To me, thinking about death makes me live life more.
Ok well then... Whoever came up with such a belief obviously has no commitment to anything that he has to follow. It is a cowards belief and only the people that believe there is no point in following authority. Also this belief came from psychopath ate everything he found. The people that follow it say everywhere they go religion is being jammed down their throat when in reality they are drowning everybody else in their religion. Discarding them as idiots.

(Now you know how I feel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back