World Building Dark Fantasy World-Building

I'm working on a concept of a monster that can teleport short distances and use magick. I'm working with the Houdini Splicer from BioShock as a basis. But I'm not sure how I want to approach them. I think I want them to be mischievous instead of malevolent. Sort of a Puck-like character. 

Just a random idea that popped into my head.

What if scattered across this land (Island correct?) are the last crumbling, vegetation covered ruins of an ancient civilization that died out long before the First Age even began,

Not much is known about this civilization, as what texts now remain are incomplete and indecipherable.  No ones found any bodies to suggest what types of creature lived here, where one would assume a burial ground lies always turns out to be nothing more than empty dirt.

Many ruins of varying sizes and states of decay are scattered across, but 6 main ones exist, all in remote and dangerous locations.  These 6 are each said to correlate to a specific "season/constellation/point" and it is legend that during the height of said season a path way to another world/land appears,  But no one has ever recorded these ruins exact locations, what constellation they align with or what said other world/land is exactly.

Just throwing this down before I forget.  About to work out haha

What do you mean by that? 

As in interesting for the reader/rper but the people"in" it would feel like their life is mundane, sort of giving that impression.  Like they just struggle to survive 24/7 and thats about it.  As you said theres no war.  It all just seems depressing to me (the towns/some people) if that clarifys it.  Im only on page 3 mind you however.

I'm working on a concept of a monster that can teleport short distances and use magick. I'm working with the Houdini Splicer from BioShock as a basis. But I'm not sure how I want to approach them. I think I want them to be mischievous instead of malevolent. Sort of a Puck-like character. 

Mischievous sounds fun but extremely typical.  Why not include both, for some uniqueness.  As in they are mainly mischievous, bt can be quite malevolent.  Perhaps during a certain season/point?

As in interesting for the reader/rper but the people"in" it would feel like their life is mundane, sort of giving that impression.  Like they just struggle to survive 24/7 and thats about it.  As you said theres no war.  It all just seems depressing to me (the towns/some people) if that clarifys it.  Im only on page 3 mind you however.

Ah yes. Well this is their life. If there had always been monsters in our world, we would think monsters are normal. 

Mischievous sounds fun but extremely typical.  Why not include both, for some uniqueness.  As in they are mainly mischievous, bt can be quite malevolent.  Perhaps during a certain season/point?

Perhaps they are sadists and enjoy drawing humans further and further into the forest before devouring them, or killing them in some gruesome fashion. 

I find myself fighting the urge to add clockwork automatons into this. I want to. But I know I shouldn't. 

I find myself fighting the urge to add clockwork automatons into this. I want to. But I know I shouldn't. 

Science-fiction elements in fantasy is one of my strong-suits, so I can come up with a way to fit something like this in that isn't cheesy or overly jarring if you give me a few minutes to think on it.

So, consider this:

About three-hundred years or so ago, a group of priests, longing for more time they could spend studying, began to research the field of Animation, believing that the evocation of benevolent spirits that would be willing to do their work for them would provide them with the solution that they needed (the construction of mindless, undead drones was out of the question, due to such things being unholy in the face of the Cardinal Values, as was binding spirits against their will). Though their research into Animation was fruitful, the monks found that many of the spirits they summoned were unable to do any labor at all, due to their lack of proper bodies. Though allowing a spirit to reside in certain objects, such as brooms, proved to be good enough, the rest lacked the ability to serve, clean, or even move, depending on what they were placed in.

Before they began to abandon their ambitions, however, one of the priests found inspiration in an old farmer's trick of binding a spirit to a scarecrow, and figured that all their issues would be solved if they merely created person-like bodies for those spirits to dwell within. Doing such with actual flesh was forbidden, since fleshsculpting for such purposes fell within the purview of necromancy, so the monks decided that they would create something more along the lines of a doll.

They poured over various anatomical tomes created by various natural philosophers throughout the years, in order to gain a thorough understanding of human-like movement. Their first creations, little more than human-sized ball-jointed dolls, proved problematic; the individual pieces which must be moved were spread too far throughout the body, causing the spirits possessing them to spread themselves far too thin which in turn resulted in most dolls being unable to move with a full range of human-like motion. They resolved this issue by creating a far more compact central object, often a series of rounded wooden or metal wheels, from which the remainder of the body could be controlled via the shifting of internal portions.

These creations were the first of what they called the "Automatika" (Automatikus, singular). Often engineered with precious metals, such as gold, silver, and brass, they seemed to be the shining example of the holy opposite to necromancy. However, writings on them were never shared, and when the monastic order that created them was admonished by the others by using loopholes in the Virtues in order to "play god" (or, in their words, "justify necromancy," since the idea of a higher power is mostly non-existent in this religion), many of the texts were burned or left to rot.

Though there are some that attempt to venture into the various houses and monastaries abandoned by this lost sect in hopes of retrieving whatever documents may still survive, they usually fail; though these places remain abandoned, the Automatika created to oversee them still maintain their daily routines.

So, consider this:

About three-hundred years or so ago, a group of priests, longing for more time they could spend studying, began to research the field of Animation, believing that the evocation of benevolent spirits that would be willing to do their work for them would provide them with the solution that they needed (the construction of mindless, undead drones was out of the question, due to such things being unholy in the face of the Cardinal Values, as was binding spirits against their will). Though their research into Animation was fruitful, the monks found that many of the spirits they summoned were unable to do any labor at all, due to their lack of proper bodies. Though allowing a spirit to reside in certain objects, such as brooms, proved to be good enough, the rest lacked the ability to serve, clean, or even move, depending on what they were placed in.

Before they began to abandon their ambitions, however, one of the priests found inspiration in an old farmer's trick of binding a spirit to a scarecrow, and figured that all their issues would be solved if they merely created person-like bodies for those spirits to dwell within. Doing such with actual flesh was forbidden, since fleshsculpting for such purposes fell within the purview of necromancy, so the monks decided that they would create something more along the lines of a doll.

They poured over various anatomical tomes created by various natural philosophers throughout the years, in order to gain a thorough understanding of human-like movement. Their first creations, little more than human-sized ball-jointed dolls, proved problematic; the individual pieces which must be moved were spread too far throughout the body, causing the spirits possessing them to spread themselves far too thin which in turn resulted in most dolls being unable to move with a full range of human-like motion. They resolved this issue by creating a far more compact central object, often a series of rounded wooden or metal wheels, from which the remainder of the body could be controlled via the shifting of internal portions.

These creations were the first of what they called the "Automatika" (Automatikus, singular). Often engineered with precious metals, such as gold, silver, and brass, they seemed to be the shining example of the holy opposite to necromancy. However, writings on them were never shared, and when the monastic order that created them was admonished by the others by using loopholes in the Virtues in order to "play god" (or, in their words, "justify necromancy," since the idea of a higher power is mostly non-existent in this religion), many of the texts were burned or left to rot.

Though there are some that attempt to venture into the various houses and monastaries abandoned by this lost sect in hopes of retrieving whatever documents may still survive, they usually fail; though these places remain abandoned, the Automatika created to oversee them still maintain their daily routines.

I actually quite like this. 

So, consider this:

I like this as well

Ah yes. Well this is their life. If there had always been monsters in our world, we would think monsters are normal. 

Perhaps they are sadists and enjoy drawing humans further and further into the forest before devouring them, or killing them in some gruesome fashion. 

oooh I like that.  Sort of like Sirens!

Just a random idea that popped into my head.

What if scattered across this land (Island correct?) are the last crumbling, vegetation covered ruins of an ancient civilization that died out long before the First Age even began,

Not much is known about this civilization, as what texts now remain are incomplete and indecipherable.  No ones found any bodies to suggest what types of creature lived here, where one would assume a burial ground lies always turns out to be nothing more than empty dirt.

Many ruins of varying sizes and states of decay are scattered across, but 6 main ones exist, all in remote and dangerous locations.  These 6 are each said to correlate to a specific "season/constellation/point" and it is legend that during the height of said season a path way to another world/land appears,  But no one has ever recorded these ruins exact locations, what constellation they align with or what said other world/land is exactly.

Just throwing this down before I forget.  About to work out haha

Building on my idea ealier....

[SIZE=11pt]When the first settlers landed on the Island, they had initial thought it to be void of inhabitants.  They considered themselves the first to tame this wild land, and many took great pride in it, often referring to themselves as the “Firsts”.  This honor of course, is now reserved for the true “Firsts”, the ruins of which were discovered when the first Settlers began to leave the coasts and explore the inland.  The first ruins discovered came as quite a shock to the explorer who stumbled upon them.  The first, as legends have it, was discovered by a man, his name lost to time, who had been seeking shelter from a heavy storm and the beasties that come with it.  It is said as he was running through the redfields he stumbled and tripped in the darkness, falling through a hole in the ground hidden by bushes.  The force of the fall knocked him unconscious and he awoke sometime later, to find himself in a passageway of sorts.  The passage was rectangular in shape, with smooth walls adorned with faded, tattered murals and odd hieroglyphics carved into the rock face.  On either side the passageway was blocked off by rubble.  Rays of light poured down in rectangular bands from holes in the top of the room, illuminating it just enough to allow the explorer to see.  He described a map of the island of sorts that had been painted on the wall, the text around it clearly meaning to describe it although he was unable to decipher it.  On the map, or what was left of it, where many strange lines and buildings, perhaps describing a network of connected ruins and such, although none have ever found much proof of this.  More interestingly however, were six spots marked with distinct shapes, one an eye, the next a scythe, and so on.  These spots were scattered across the island, equidistant from the center where a seventh point lay, a simple obelisk shaped marker.  The man drew what he found in his note book, climbing out of the passageway and returning to the coastal settlements.  His findings caused other curious explorers to shift their focus on to locating these ruins.  Many were discovered, scattered across the land.  They varied in size and state of decay, some no more than buried stone mounds and others an elaborate series of pillars, broken walls and collapsed underground tunnel ways.  Obelisks varying in size were discovered in random locations, some resting well above the ground, others with their grey tips barely protruding from the dirt. Everywhere the same few things were found, the indecipherable hieroglyphics, tattered maps and collapsed tunnels.   Sages and explorers alike tried for generations to decipher their meanings and who exactly were the “Firsts” and where they went, but all for not.  Any hopes of dining a physical representation of them were for not as not even a single burial mound was ever discovered.  Nothing more was ever discovered, and no one was able to locate the first tunnel the discoverer of these ruins fell into.  No other maps displayed the distinct symbols and central obelisk, and no possible ruins that could correlate to them were ever recorded, although the tales of those who have claimed to have found them are passed on generation to generation.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As the ages passed on, the sages and explorers grew bored with the mystery, mainly due to the lack of progress.  As the settlements grew, people often built around the ruins, even on top of them.  Only a few still care about them, small bands of sages dedicated to discovering their meaning often attributing some sort of religious significance to their quest and wonder-lust filled xplorers dreaming of treasures and lost lands.[/SIZE]

@Shireling What cha think of this?  I think you do something quite interesting with this

oooh I like that.  Sort of like Sirens!

Building on my idea ealier....

[SIZE=11pt]When the first settlers landed on the Island, they had initial thought it to be void of inhabitants.  They considered themselves the first to tame this wild land, and many took great pride in it, often referring to themselves as the “Firsts”.  This honor of course, is now reserved for the true “Firsts”, the ruins of which were discovered when the first Settlers began to leave the coasts and explore the inland.  The first ruins discovered came as quite a shock to the explorer who stumbled upon them.  The first, as legends have it, was discovered by a man, his name lost to time, who had been seeking shelter from a heavy storm and the beasties that come with it.  It is said as he was running through the redfields he stumbled and tripped in the darkness, falling through a hole in the ground hidden by bushes.  The force of the fall knocked him unconscious and he awoke sometime later, to find himself in a passageway of sorts.  The passage was rectangular in shape, with smooth walls adorned with faded, tattered murals and odd hieroglyphics carved into the rock face.  On either side the passageway was blocked off by rubble.  Rays of light poured down in rectangular bands from holes in the top of the room, illuminating it just enough to allow the explorer to see.  He described a map of the island of sorts that had been painted on the wall, the text around it clearly meaning to describe it although he was unable to decipher it.  On the map, or what was left of it, where many strange lines and buildings, perhaps describing a network of connected ruins and such, although none have ever found much proof of this.  More interestingly however, were six spots marked with distinct shapes, one an eye, the next a scythe, and so on.  These spots were scattered across the island, equidistant from the center where a seventh point lay, a simple obelisk shaped marker.  The man drew what he found in his note book, climbing out of the passageway and returning to the coastal settlements.  His findings caused other curious explorers to shift their focus on to locating these ruins.  Many were discovered, scattered across the land.  They varied in size and state of decay, some no more than buried stone mounds and others an elaborate series of pillars, broken walls and collapsed underground tunnel ways.  Obelisks varying in size were discovered in random locations, some resting well above the ground, others with their grey tips barely protruding from the dirt. Everywhere the same few things were found, the indecipherable hieroglyphics, tattered maps and collapsed tunnels.   Sages and explorers alike tried for generations to decipher their meanings and who exactly were the “Firsts” and where they went, but all for not.  Any hopes of dining a physical representation of them were for not as not even a single burial mound was ever discovered.  Nothing more was ever discovered, and no one was able to locate the first tunnel the discoverer of these ruins fell into.  No other maps displayed the distinct symbols and central obelisk, and no possible ruins that could correlate to them were ever recorded, although the tales of those who have claimed to have found them are passed on generation to generation.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As the ages passed on, the sages and explorers grew bored with the mystery, mainly due to the lack of progress.  As the settlements grew, people often built around the ruins, even on top of them.  Only a few still care about them, small bands of sages dedicated to discovering their meaning often attributing some sort of religious significance to their quest and wonder-lust filled xplorers dreaming of treasures and lost lands.[/SIZE]

@Shireling What cha think of this?  I think you do something quite interesting with this

A bit cliche. I wanna steer away from the "Forerunner Race" trope. I might use bits and pieces though. 

Brief input: 

On board with not delving into forerunner race material too much. Its usually used pretty poorly. 

That said, ancient mage towers and forts from the initial settlement ought to fulfill much the same function. 

Brief input: 

On board with not delving into forerunner race material too much. Its usually used pretty poorly. 

That said, ancient mage towers and forts from the initial settlement ought to fulfill much the same function. 

That could be appealing.

Early settlements also provide better setting material, I think. Ancient civilization ruins are bound to be used by somebody to do something that fundamentally alters the setting in absurd ways, because thats what forerunner ruins do. Given the thematic setup, I think the point is sort of consistency and stagnation rather than any super-power from ancient history doing anything besides wreaking havoc. 

Early settlements also provide better setting material, I think. Ancient civilization ruins are bound to be used by somebody to do something that fundamentally alters the setting in absurd ways, because thats what forerunner ruins do. Given the thematic setup, I think the point is sort of consistency and stagnation rather than any super-power from ancient history doing anything besides wreaking havoc. 

The "forerunner ruins" would remain little more than a curiosity and a hub for cults in my mind.  Some Witches, dark wizards or cultists may use the ruins that correspond with a particular season as a shrine of sort to fuel their magic, or alteast try to, conduct rituals, etc but the ruins themselves would be more passive.  The forerunners themselves would never be discovered and come into being.  Their gone and thats it.  I would see them more as hubs for activity.  Past the "special" 6 they wouldnt have any real affect or particular significance  

But at the least I think dotting the land with ruins from ages past would give it a nice, stagnated feel 

[SIZE=11pt]I have an idea for a new type of terrain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I haven't noticed any sort of swamplands, so I thought i'd suggest some[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]"The Croaking Ponds" - The Croaking Ponds are the swamplands of the Island, areas littered with standing water varying from ankle or knee deep to bottomless holes that more than one ill-fated caravan has sunk into when attempting to cross the Croaking Ponds to expedite their journey.  The croaking bonds are named in part for the loud croaking of the Reed-Demons who hide within the tall black cat tails that litter the edges of the numerous ponds that fill the fields, and for their resemblance to death.  Nigh everything is a shade of black or a dark blood red.  That is not to say that everything in the pond is actually dieing.  The ponds are alive beneath the surface of death and decay.  In form a Croaking Pond is a flat field much like the shallows, save it has been flooded with endless amounts of mud and water.  Ponds of various sizes and depth litter the fields with narrow mud-dirt pathways crisscrossing the landscape, making crossing the fields even remotely safely a long and difficult task.  Vegetation, save for the patches of black cattails that dot the ponds is quite sparse, with only the occasional black barked, dark red leaved willows trees providing any sort of cover and further scenery.  The ponds themselves are mostly sparsely filled and most are empty save for a few sickly misshapen fish.  But some on the other hand, contains a dangerous predator.  A Bottom-Dweller, a flat mud brown or black plate shaped creature with 8 tentacles extended from its circular body.  They vary in size, some barely big enough to wrap around your ankles, others big enough to swallow a man or caravan hole.  They lie in wait on the bottom of ponds, waiting for someone to trudge over them.  once they feel a presence above them their arms spring into action, grabbing the creature and dragging it into the pond, drowning it and pressing it against their body.  The suckers along their arms and body attach to their prey, sucking the blood and nutrients from its body.  When it's done it releases the now lifeless form and it floats to the top of the pond.  Besides these are the Weed-Demons, long, narrow stick like creatures shaped like a cat tail, save they have four legs and many small clawed arms. Their round, cylindrical heads contain a single black eye and a slit like mouth.  Packs of them hide in the reeds, waiting for something to travel close by.  They then spring out and attack the creature, swarming it and tearing pieces of its flesh off with their arms and teeth before retreating back into the reeds.  These attacks may or  may not be deadly depending on the number of Reed-Demons in the pack.  Those who have survived an attack can be spotted easily, the scars of which have a distinct drotten appearance form where chunks were ripped out and then became infected by the Reed-Demons filth.  Often survivors of the initial attacks will die from infection sometime later.  Most keep away from the Ponds, but some venture there out of desperation to fish and to harvest the Black Cat tails which have medicinal properties and can be boiled into a bitter but edible soup.[/SIZE]

oh wait the Shallows are marshlands.  For some reason I was thinking they were simply barren fields.  Oh well

The "forerunner ruins" would remain little more than a curiosity and a hub for cults in my mind.  Some Witches, dark wizards or cultists may use the ruins that correspond with a particular season as a shrine of sort to fuel their magic, or alteast try to, conduct rituals, etc but the ruins themselves would be more passive.  The forerunners themselves would never be discovered and come into being.  Their gone and thats it.  I would see them more as hubs for activity.  Past the "special" 6 they wouldnt have any real affect or particular significance  

But at the least I think dotting the land with ruins from ages past would give it a nice, stagnated feel 

Well, they have lived on this island for thousands of years. Furthermore, the landscape is dotted with ruins left over from the War of the Black Banner. But they know who built them and when they're from. 

[SIZE=11pt]I have an idea for a new type of terrain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I haven't noticed any sort of swamplands, so I thought i'd suggest some[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]"The Croaking Ponds" - The Croaking Ponds are the swamplands of the Island, areas littered with standing water varying from ankle or knee deep to bottomless holes that more than one ill-fated caravan has sunk into when attempting to cross the Croaking Ponds to expedite their journey.  The croaking bonds are named in part for the loud croaking of the Reed-Demons who hide within the tall black cat tails that litter the edges of the numerous ponds that fill the fields, and for their resemblance to death.  Nigh everything is a shade of black or a dark blood red.  That is not to say that everything in the pond is actually dieing.  The ponds are alive beneath the surface of death and decay.  In form a Croaking Pond is a flat field much like the shallows, save it has been flooded with endless amounts of mud and water.  Ponds of various sizes and depth litter the fields with narrow mud-dirt pathways crisscrossing the landscape, making crossing the fields even remotely safely a long and difficult task.  Vegetation, save for the patches of black cattails that dot the ponds is quite sparse, with only the occasional black barked, dark red leaved willows trees providing any sort of cover and further scenery.  The ponds themselves are mostly sparsely filled and most are empty save for a few sickly misshapen fish.  But some on the other hand, contains a dangerous predator.  A Bottom-Dweller, a flat mud brown or black plate shaped creature with 8 tentacles extended from its circular body.  They vary in size, some barely big enough to wrap around your ankles, others big enough to swallow a man or caravan hole.  They lie in wait on the bottom of ponds, waiting for someone to trudge over them.  once they feel a presence above them their arms spring into action, grabbing the creature and dragging it into the pond, drowning it and pressing it against their body.  The suckers along their arms and body attach to their prey, sucking the blood and nutrients from its body.  When it's done it releases the now lifeless form and it floats to the top of the pond.  Besides these are the Weed-Demons, long, narrow stick like creatures shaped like a cat tail, save they have four legs and many small clawed arms. Their round, cylindrical heads contain a single black eye and a slit like mouth.  Packs of them hide in the reeds, waiting for something to travel close by.  They then spring out and attack the creature, swarming it and tearing pieces of its flesh off with their arms and teeth before retreating back into the reeds.  These attacks may or  may not be deadly depending on the number of Reed-Demons in the pack.  Those who have survived an attack can be spotted easily, the scars of which have a distinct drotten appearance form where chunks were ripped out and then became infected by the Reed-Demons filth.  Often survivors of the initial attacks will die from infection sometime later.  Most keep away from the Ponds, but some venture there out of desperation to fish and to harvest the Black Cat tails which have medicinal properties and can be boiled into a bitter but edible soup.[/SIZE]

I might use some of these creatures and plants. 

Well, they have lived on this island for thousands of years. Furthermore, the landscape is dotted with ruins left over from the War of the Black Banner. But they know who built them and when they're from. 

I might use some of these creatures and plants. 

Ah, I wasnt sure of the timeline here.

Perhas we should write out the War of he Black Banner?

And If you want me to work on stuff I can throw tons of ides out.  Im bound to get soemthing youll llike

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'm going to have another go at terrain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Would there be any snowy areas of the Island?  Such as the northern tip being filled with barren, icy tundras with dead ice covered trees and forests of Ever-Dead trees that are essentially evergreen/pine trees save they are constantly losing their leaves which are a permanent orange/brown color (like dead pine needles.  Essentially pine trees whose leaves look dead).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And based on that short story there are mountains i'm assuming?  Where would they be?  A cluster in the center, or forming a "spine" of sorts perhaps down the middle of one half? (So it would be off centered rather than just down the middle of the island)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The shallows are said to include marshlands and fields, which are a bit different from one another.  I think the shallows should be split somehow into the fields and the marshlands separately.  Perhaps even making a swamp like terrain?  (The Croaking Fields are actually more of marshes as they are mainly non wooded vegetation.  If you were to use them.)  So my suggested "change" i guess would be for the Shallows to just indicate a certain portion of the Island which is littered with several types of terrain:  Dust Fields, Croaking Ponds and the Fog Banks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Dust Fields would be large, empty stretches of land sparsely grassed and vegetated due to the infertility of the soil.  This causes dust to be picked up whenever the wind blows, causing great dust storm.  Essentially the Dust Bowl.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Croaking Ponds would be what I stated earlier[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Fog Banks would be swamp like areas, similar in a way to the Croaking ponds.  However the Fog Banks would be more densely vegetated with skinny trees whose roots extend over the water in odd twists and turns and trunks curve in a random direction and their leaves hang straight down like a willow.  There would also be the occasional redfield tree among the "Twisted Hags" rising above the canopy.  Like the Croaking fields it is covered in water, although it it typically only ankle deep.  The water is also covered by roots and dotted by patches of Black Cattails, tall Grey-Grass and dark red lily pads with snow white flowers.  The banks of every pond are constantly in a deep fog, but it is a thin layer and the center of ponds is quite clear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]For the fog banks, I have two new Beasties in which to inhabit it.  The first are the Walking Fish[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The body of these creatures is similar in shape to an eel, although thicker and not as long.  They have of line of fins on their back and on those sides along with dorsal fins for water locomotion.  Their faces have 3 small, black beady eyes and their mouth are filled with razor sharp teeth.  They are called Walking Fish because they also have two legs, similar in form to goose/duck legs.  These legs bring them to 3ft when standing, but they usually remain on the bottom of ponds, waiting for a meal to pass by.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The second are the Tree Jumpers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Tree Jumpers are essentially the monkeys of this land.  They are small, stubby creatures with no notice neck.  Think of their heads like an owl's, save they have a mouth rather a beak, no ears and are covered in a brown leathery skin instead.  They have the same large eyes and a flat nose being just open slits on their face.  The outline of their face is bulged into a ridge by their skeletal structure.  They can turn their head just like an owl's but of course they have no neck, giving them an odd and ugly appearance.  The rest of their body is just as odd, with a stubby hairless body and unusually long arms and feet.  They have a tail, but it is a bob tail and no use to help them climb.  Their hands and feet do all the work as they are posable.  They live in the Twisted Hags and feed off of berries and insects.  They climb/jump from tree to tree and live in extended family units.  They will not attack travels unless they go near their home.[/SIZE]

Ah, I wasnt sure of the timeline here.

Perhas we should write out the War of he Black Banner?

And If you want me to work on stuff I can throw tons of ides out.  Im bound to get soemthing youll llike

Good idea concerning the Black Banner. 

The original idea was that in the First Age there were several practitioners of dark magick that inhabited the north of the island (which I have described as being barren and hilly). They used the dark arts to gain dominion over the North before the Free Armies rose up against them. The necromancers banded together under the Black Banner, a loose confederation, and sent ghoulish armies led by demon officers against the Free Armies. At first, the War went disasterously for the Free Men. The war exacerbated the ongoing problems of famine, plague, and a prolonged winter. The assembled Free Men under the command of Lord (something or another, I've said his name before) were defeated and turned into Wights, joining the Black Banner as their indentured banner army. Defeat seemed inevitable for the Free Men. 

Until dissent began to pit the lords of the North against one another. Their subjugated populations rebelled and the Church of the Three was formed, robbing the black magicians of tormented souls to bind to corpses. Years of civil war saw the Black Banner crumble and the last of the dread lords were banished from the island after a decisive battle. Thus was the end of the First Age. 

However, the Black Banner Army had never been defeated. When their commander was assassinated, they were released from his bondage. Thus, they sleep, cursed. Their place of resting is unknown, but periodically necromancers attempt to find the Black Banner and force them to submit to be commanded. This has happened three times, each having the same result. The Army is awoken, causes a lot of damage, is never defeated, but their commander dies and they are released from their contract and go back to sleep. 

Good idea concerning the Black Banner. 

The original idea was that in the First Age there were several practitioners of dark magick that inhabited the north of the island (which I have described as being barren and hilly). They used the dark arts to gain dominion over the North before the Free Armies rose up against them. The necromancers banded together under the Black Banner, a loose confederation, and sent ghoulish armies led by demon officers against the Free Armies. At first, the War went disasterously for the Free Men. The war exacerbated the ongoing problems of famine, plague, and a prolonged winter. The assembled Free Men under the command of Lord (something or another, I've said his name before) were defeated and turned into Wights, joining the Black Banner as their indentured banner army. Defeat seemed inevitable for the Free Men. 

Until dissent began to pit the lords of the North against one another. Their subjugated populations rebelled and the Church of the Three was formed, robbing the black magicians of tormented souls to bind to corpses. Years of civil war saw the Black Banner crumble and the last of the dread lords were banished from the island after a decisive battle. Thus was the end of the First Age. 

However, the Black Banner Army had never been defeated. When their commander was assassinated, they were released from his bondage. Thus, they sleep, cursed. Their place of resting is unknown, but periodically necromancers attempt to find the Black Banner and force them to submit to be commanded. This has happened three times, each having the same result. The Army is awoken, causes a lot of damage, is never defeated, but their commander dies and they are released from their contract and go back to sleep. 

Sounds cool actually.  Wil probably ant to name the important people and create historic land marks around the map and such.  Flesh it out a bit.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'm going to have another go at terrain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Would there be any snowy areas of the Island?  Such as the northern tip being filled with barren, icy tundras with dead ice covered trees and forests of Ever-Dead trees that are essentially evergreen/pine trees save they are constantly losing their leaves which are a permanent orange/brown color (like dead pine needles.  Essentially pine trees whose leaves look dead).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And based on that short story there are mountains i'm assuming?  Where would they be?  A cluster in the center, or forming a "spine" of sorts perhaps down the middle of one half? (So it would be off centered rather than just down the middle of the island)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The shallows are said to include marshlands and fields, which are a bit different from one another.  I think the shallows should be split somehow into the fields and the marshlands separately.  Perhaps even making a swamp like terrain?  (The Croaking Fields are actually more of marshes as they are mainly non wooded vegetation.  If you were to use them.)  So my suggested "change" i guess would be for the Shallows to just indicate a certain portion of the Island which is littered with several types of terrain:  Dust Fields, Croaking Ponds and the Fog Banks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Dust Fields would be large, empty stretches of land sparsely grassed and vegetated due to the infertility of the soil.  This causes dust to be picked up whenever the wind blows, causing great dust storm.  Essentially the Dust Bowl.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Croaking Ponds would be what I stated earlier[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Fog Banks would be swamp like areas, similar in a way to the Croaking ponds.  However the Fog Banks would be more densely vegetated with skinny trees whose roots extend over the water in odd twists and turns and trunks curve in a random direction and their leaves hang straight down like a willow.  There would also be the occasional redfield tree among the "Twisted Hags" rising above the canopy.  Like the Croaking fields it is covered in water, although it it typically only ankle deep.  The water is also covered by roots and dotted by patches of Black Cattails, tall Grey-Grass and dark red lily pads with snow white flowers.  The banks of every pond are constantly in a deep fog, but it is a thin layer and the center of ponds is quite clear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]For the fog banks, I have two new Beasties in which to inhabit it.  The first are the Walking Fish[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The body of these creatures is similar in shape to an eel, although thicker and not as long.  They have of line of fins on their back and on those sides along with dorsal fins for water locomotion.  Their faces have 3 small, black beady eyes and their mouth are filled with razor sharp teeth.  They are called Walking Fish because they also have two legs, similar in form to goose/duck legs.  These legs bring them to 3ft when standing, but they usually remain on the bottom of ponds, waiting for a meal to pass by.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The second are the Tree Jumpers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The Tree Jumpers are essentially the monkeys of this land.  They are small, stubby creatures with no notice neck.  Think of their heads like an owl's, save they have a mouth rather a beak, no ears and are covered in a brown leathery skin instead.  They have the same large eyes and a flat nose being just open slits on their face.  The outline of their face is bulged into a ridge by their skeletal structure.  They can turn their head just like an owl's but of course they have no neck, giving them an odd and ugly appearance.  The rest of their body is just as odd, with a stubby hairless body and unusually long arms and feet.  They have a tail, but it is a bob tail and no use to help them climb.  Their hands and feet do all the work as they are posable.  They live in the Twisted Hags and feed off of berries and insects.  They climb/jump from tree to tree and live in extended family units.  They will not attack travels unless they go near their home.[/SIZE]

WHat of this @Shireling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back