Closed.

Dhea did.
Gods, she just sobbed for ages, but they were silent. She made almost no sound as the tears streamed down her cheeks and her shoulders shook. It’s been so long since someone had truly held her and told her it was going to be okay.
And she cried harder, because she felt alone.

After she had her breakdown, she sat down and started eating. She needed the energy. She also needed some time to think.
Would it be so evil to spend one night with someone else? To use that night to heal herself?
Would it be so bad?

The two were alone at the base of the temple. When Dhea sat down to eat, Rhain moved away, disappearing in and out of view as if scouting the area. He had always acted shifty and it seemed like he was the person that never sat down. In one moment he was patrolling between the treeline and in the next he had climed on the first step of the temple, looking down at the dark looming shape.

"The Ziggurat." He said after a while, choosing to ignore the situation that transpired recently. "Courga's temple. You'll have to enter it by yourself. Sindla will not allow me to converse with other gods. You will find an idol in there. Kiss it in this order: forehead, nose, lips. If you have not ever taken an innocent life, Courga will speak to you." He turned toward Dhea. "At least that's what I gathered from the citizens."

Dhea had felt much better after eating. The night was still young and she would have time to visit the temple before she got too tired. However, it looked like Rhain was preparing to leave again.

- Talk to Rhain.
- Go to the temple.
- Rest in the woods.

Dhea wrapped her fingers around his wrist. It was gentle and she seemed so unsure. She could just let him go with a goodbye, but something in her craved more.
“Before...before you go....”
She inhaled, before letting out the words, glad that she didn’t stumble over them.
“Kiss me. As a goodbye or good luck, just...please...”

Rhain looked at her, stepping from the temple stair. His hand brushed at her cheek as he cupped it and raised her chin up. He smiled. Then leaned down and kissed her. On her forehead.

"Good luck, Analander. I'll wait for you to open the Gate."

He quickly disentangled from her grasp and disappeared among the trees, before Dhea could say anything.

- Rest until morning.
- Climb the temple.

Dhea has been dumbfounded at how Rhain had left her, but rather than sit down and sob about being left behind, she continued forward.
She didn’t want to dwell on it, but that forehead kiss had spread a strange warmth throughout her body as she climbed the temple.

The shadow of the Ziggurat had a jagged silhouette. Perhaps a hundred steps led up to the entrance. The temple was positioned to catch the first star of the evening at its uppermost point - the moment which just passed. The opening was above, a small black dot, about a third of the way up, but even that was quite a climb.

Z.jpg

Dhea hauled herself up the first step. Either that Ziggurat was built for giants or ascending was an act of devotion. Either way, every taken step is equally exhausting, leaving her breathless. In order to climb the stones she had to first toss her pack up and then follow along.

But she persevered. As she climbed higher the going became easier - the slope of the pyramid was just an optical illusion, the hardest steps were at the bottom. She climbed another twenty minutes up the steep stone steps until she was panting and gasping for breath. Finally she reached the dark opening that she saw from the base below. The steps continued a little further up to the very peak of the temple.

The opening was guarded by two stone gargoyles. Beyond was a dark hallway that led into the innards of the temple, with something bright gleaming at the end.

- Go inside.
- Climb to the top.

Dhea looked down the hall, her eyes narrowing. She didn’t trust this. Not as easily as she probably should. She did step in, her hand on her blade and her hand extended in front of her.
She severely hoped it wasn’t a trap.

The hollow space of the temple amplified Dhea's footsteps and they echoed eerily for several moments. On the floor, in gilt inlay, was written the name of the God who inhabited this place - Courga the Gracious.

The walls were decorated with brightly coloured murals depicting scenes from the religious mythology of Khare. Fine ornaments in precious metals were set into alcoves around the pews, and rich woven tapestries covered every surface. A cunning trick of architecture caught the wind past the doorway creating a costant ethereal humming as though a crowd of monks sat in permanent meditation on the inside.

At the far end of the hallway four large stone gargoyles of winged demons sat in guard of the central statue - Courga himself - a winged, horned beast. There was an inscription below the idol of Courga: "On Courga's face you kiss across - you must err not, else your life is forfeit."

- Kiss the idol as Rhain said.
- Address Courga.
- Leave.

Dhea has been repeating what Rhain had told her about the idol, about what she must do. So, she kissed it in the order that the assassin had told her. It was an odd experience, but she hoped it would lead to something. She needed it to.

She finished the ritual and everything was silent, but the endless chanting made by the wind. Then the idol started clattering, as if something was emerging out of it. But that something was far too large. As it materialized, it filled the temple to the roof, its head resting above the idol who now looked to be only a fifth of the God's size.

7930a1e698bf939e24294d931e9bee39.jpg

"Stranger. You are not of my faith, yet you have completed my ritual. How can that be?"

- Answer.

Last edited:
Dhea closed her eyes and inhaled. This was not her usual situation. She looked up at the...god, her brain not fully comprehending its existence just yet. She was breathing deeply, trying to steady herself.
“I was told.”

"You were? By whom?" Courga growled. "Not by one of my priests, otherwise I would have known. Well, it does not matter. You are here now." The huge head moved toward Dhea, the nostrils flaring as the beast sniffed her. "You are clean, mortal. You have not taken an innocent life, however many have died by your inaction." Courga's golden eyes were full of judgement. "But that is the domain of my sister, not mine." The beast moved backward again, the head resting over the idol. "You pass. Ask your questions now. You get three."

- Ask about the second part of Xirin's line.
- Ask about the order of the lines.
- Ask about the North Gate.
- Ask about the Baklands.
- Ask about the Archmage.
- Ask about Courga.
- Ask about Rhain.
- Ask about Ellie.
- Ask about Yan.
- Ask about Shank.
- Ask about Analand.

Dhea rested her forehead against her hand. She did not need to be told about her failings. At all.
She inhaled and thought for a moment.
“Can you tell me the second part of Xirin’s line?”
She just wanted to ask her questions and leave. Then she’d just keep powering through.
She wouldn’t even allow herself to grow attached to anyone else.

...why was she having these thoughts now?

"Xirin? The Sixth? He had no line to speak off. Oh you mean the one he stole from Moulas. By Courga's Grace and Fourga's pride." The God spoke. "That's how it goes. Moulas was my priest, too bad that he died. He was a good one."

- Ask about the order of the lines.
- Ask about Courga.
- Ask about Rhain.
- Ask about Ellie.
- Ask about Yan.
- Ask about Shank.
- Ask about Xirin.
- Ask about Analand.

Dhea narrowed her eyes. She had some words to have with Xirin when she spoke with him again. She shook herself off and focused on her second question. Her last one could be selfish. This was more important.
“May I know the order of the lines?”

She was toying with a loose thread. She was nervous, but could you blame her? There was this giant creature looming over her.

"Wasting your questions on that?" Courga spoke with genuine surprise. "It's a song, you should be able to make sense of it:

Tumblers two sealed deep inside
One lock made out of Golem's hide
By Courga's grace and Fourga's pride
I bid you, portals, open wide.

That is your order, mortal." The beast finished, tail flicking around the massive pillars that held the roof of the temple. It raised its enormous paw up and licked it, a motion strangely similar to a domestic cat and strangely adorable, if one looked past the fact that Courga was the size of a dragon.

- Ask about Courga.
- Ask about Rhain.
- Ask about Ellie.
- Ask about Yan.
- Ask about Shank.
- Ask about Xirin.
- Ask about Analand.

Dhea now felt like a fool, but that was nothing new. She pinched the bridge of her nose and just....sighed. One last question. She could do this.
It wasn’t that hard. But it was.
She wanted to know about the North Gate and the Archmage, but she couldn’t decide what was more important.

After a moment, she shook her head again and lifted her chin.
“Other than the spell lines, how do I get past the North Gate?”

"Recite the spell in front of the Gate and you will be able to control it. Since no one has used that spell in a long time, this means that the Gate will respond to you without any troubles. You will have the ability to close it and open it as you please, mortal. And to citizens of Khare, that will mean a great deal." Courga responded. Then it stood up, stretching, looking like it would bring the whole temple down if it only once flapped its wings. The muzzle of the beast lowered so that it was straight in front of Dhea, golden eyes staring at her intently. "Now I have a question for you, human. Do you wish to join my faith? Take me as you deity?"

- Yes.
- No.

Dhea had not expected this. To be asked to join this god’s faith. Her voice soft, respectful as she responded.
“Yes.”
It was a simple word, but she heaped a lot of meaning into it. Meanings she hoped that the god would understand.

"Welcome, then. To my cloister." And then the huge wings spread and Courga stood in front of her in its full height. The wailing sound of the wind heightened and for a moment it looked like the whole temple would crumble to ruin. But then Courga's form dispersed and faded, until nothing but the idol stood in front of Dhea. "Pray to me when you need me, mortal, but make sure you stay true despite the hardships." The voice echoed in her mind.

--

With nothing else to do at the temple, Dhea emerged outside. The night air was cool and a slight breeze blew in front of the entrance. The road to the North Gate was lined with thick trees. Through the branches she could see an odd torch, moving between the trees. And then the distant howling of wolves.

The fork in the road was the the bottom of the temple. One path led to the North Gate, while the other turned back toward the Necropolis. Dhea had everything needed to unlock the gate and leave Khare, providing that the spell worked. She was at least a day away from Yan who seemed to be very happy with Ellie and she couldn't be certain that he wanted to leave with her at this point. She was half a day away from Xirin, if she wanted to get some answers, though the Elf was packed that morning and he could be gone by now. Rhain would be waiting for her at the North Gate. Once she went toward it, she would not be able to go back.

- Go to the Gate.
- Return to Ellie's inn.
- Return to Xirin's mansion.

Dhea wanted Yan to be happy. He didn’t deserve to be dragged around the world simply because she did not want to be alone. The idea made her shake her head. No, he’d be happiest with Ellie and she couldn’t blame him.
It’d also free up her sorcery, which was good.

Instead, she headed back to Xirin’s mansion. Even if there was a chance for him not to be there, she wanted answers. Was that so terrible?

She trekked the distance to the mansion through the whole night. Just as she was making her way through the alleys, the sun started peaking between the buildings. She was tired due to the lack of sleep and the events of the previous day.

The front doors of the mansion were unlocked. The house was now completely empty. The suitcases were gone and there was no sign of Xirin. In fact it looked like the looters had made their way in as well, because the house was stripped bare of everything that was not attached to the walls or floor.

- Inspect the fireplace.
- Inspect the bedrooms upstairs.
- Search the pantry for rations.
- Leave.

Dhea looked around and mumbled under her breath, eyes narrowing as she looked around. She was going to inspect every inch of this place and find something. And then she’d rest.
She’d earned it.

She set out to do a thorough inspection. First she checked the pantry. There were some leftovers in there, dried strips of meat and pickled apples, altogether about two rations for the road.

Next she went upstairs. The bedrooms were bare as was the rest of the room. Papers from Xirin's desk in the study were scattered everywhere, but there wasn't anything of interest on them, just some official Council documents. There were no valuables left in the whole mansion, or at least Dhea was not able to find anything.

Below in the living room, at the only object still in the same place as she last saw it - the fireplace - she found, among the ashes and timber, a crumpled, half burnt note.

"Thank you for helping me escape. I know you are dying for answers, but you will get none. Go back to Analand while you still can."

The note was not signed, but Dhea could guess who wrote it and it was clearly meant for her eyes. It did not sound very friendly.

- Rest, then go to the Gate.
- Go immediately.

Dhea crumpled up the letter and tossed it aside, before rubbing her temples. She could sleep and then she could go to the Gate and leave this all behind her.
She vaguely regretted not being able say goodbye to Yan, but it’d be easier to just leave him with the kind innkeeper, where he wouldn’t get hurt.

She went into one of the bedrooms, intent of resting. Even if it was just for a small amount of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back