Cleansing solar flames

Zin

Do I get this right.

Closing one of the bigger Shadowlands like Bayou of endless regret is not possible with this spell?

50m +10m per 50 square miles beyond the first.

If you look at the map the BoER is around 500miles by 400 miles making it 200000 square miles. That would take 4000 invocations of this spell. Or 40040motes.

The spell doesen´t say if you can use it over and over on the same area. Are the only ways to close those large shadowlands with the "implant plants and living soil" trick from some book I can´t remember?

Lets say Mask of winters is dealth with so he won´t be a bother.

You can also 'cauterize the wound' with a blast from the Realm Defense Grid, a strong tactic to take out Thorns used in Return of the Scarlet Empress. It might take more than one blast from even that though depending on the size you set the Bayou to. If you had a smaller area, you could salt the borders to trap anything normally death-y popping out, or theoretically thuroughly salt the whole thing and make it all ghost-proof. But to be fair, not even the First Age Solars cleaned up all of the Shadowlands, though their reasons were their own.

I'd say it's probably a case of writers messing up the scale of the spell... kind of like Star Wars ship stats but to the other edge.

Most shadowlands are said to emerge from a particular event and location and then spread out from there. If you wanted the spell to be able to heal large shadowlands, but didn't want to just houserule it, it could be cast at the metaphysical center of the blighted area and the rest could naturally heal over time. I'd use rules similar to geomantic landscape engineering stuff with regard to time frame and scale. Alternately, rules for healing land from wyld taint might be a good starting point. This strategy lends itself to nice quest to the center of the shadowland following a possible adventure just to find the necessary lore. It might also make for interesting follow-up stories as the characters keep an eye on the region they've already invested so much in, but has so far yet to go on the road to recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back