Claws of the Silver Moon - Accuracy Part

Runelord

This Charm has been disscused here before but but not for this thing. Disscusion was about double-stacking strenght for damage, it's not what I want to ask.

My play group got together to disscus how they're gona build their characters in the future and this issue came up.

Claws of the Silver Moon give +2 to Accuracy at Essence 2, but they give +Dex to Accuracy instead at Essence 3. That much is understod.

What bothers us is, ... is this too much. It perfectly alows player to Roll 20 dice for attack with right specialization and maxed stats.

Example: If u max dexterity to 5 (6 in War Form), Martial Arts to 5 and Claws Specialization +3, with Accuracy +6 you have 20 dices on all attacks that scene. It gets even more powerfull with certain Martial Forms.

I read that this charm got "nerfed" in Dawn Solution (I don't have it), but only the Damage part and not Accuracy. So, should it give Accuracy: +Dex balance-wise or is it too much?

This accuracy is no greater than that of a Moonsilver Short or Reaper Daiklaive. Of course it still can manage a good bit higher damage...but it's possible with a Level 1 or Level 2 Artifact to manage similar accuracy boost...at least to compare with such for a character within the Essence 5 and less range. Higher Essence...nothing else easily compares...but even then, there's tricks an Alchemical can manage that are at least as strong.

I don't think it is too much. War form lunars should be able to rip people to shreds with claws. It's what they do.

But, if you really feel the need to tone it back, change it to be +Essence.

(One hint about Exalted: if something smells "too over the top", it is probably exactly right. This is one large difference between Exalted and d20.)

They changed it so it all works on natural human stats, that I recall, dex too, not just strength.

So yeah, it's not worse than most artifacts with an accuracy boost, like orichalcum short daiklaves. Given the lower excellencies and lack of good discounts on them, I think having a nice accuracy boost is one of the upsides

FluffySquirrel: I'm sorry, I didn't get the meaning of your first sentence.

Yes, Lunar players do have more difficult time making rounded character, so this might be seen as one of the rare benefits.

Ok, as far as I know, they first nerfed CotSM in dreams of the first age I think.. making it so the strength was based on your human form.. I think that then in either glories or one of the ink monkey posts, they nerfed it further, so that the dex is also based on your natural human stats rather than any animal form or DBT. So you only ever get to add your human strength and dex to it, DBT won't change the accuracy at all.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though, would get a +1 accuracy ^^

By the way, another whole can of worms here is how you consider charms adding to Accuracy to intersect with the "No combination of Charms can increase a Lunar Exalt’s dice pools by more than (Attribute)" rule. For example, the effect on a dice pool of "add Dex to your weapon's Accuracy" is numerically the same as "add Dexterity to your attack pool"; however, most people (I think) treat an Accuracy boost as being qualitatively different than a flat out pool adder, and rule that it doesn't really play into charm limits. Last I checked, you could really argue either way, though. How you decide this has some impact on other charms in the game (that may or may not have been written to the same standard), such as Elemental Bolt Attack, Five-Dragon Form or Perfection of Earth Body.

If adding to Accuracy doesn't effect charm limits, then your silver clawed lunar can still use excellencies to make his attack pool even larger.

Claws of the Silver Moon errata was included in Glories: Luna and hasn't changed since then.
Hm, I was wrong. It was indeed originally Strength-only, but I seem to recall that was an oversight and it was always supposed to be all-encompassing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back