Chargin' mah lazor!

Kyeudo said:
whether solar flames would be appropriate could be debated, what i was thinking would be shooting super powerful sun beams (lazers), thematically different from fire only in that it is a smooth stable stream of energy where fire implies greater instability.
The core book would disagree with you on the subject of solar flames.

[QUOTE="Exalted Second Edition P. 182]

A Solar might shout loudly enough to shatter bones or call down solar flames
[/QUOTE]
ok, not as debatable as i thought

Kyeudo said:
Because it still requires the weapon. Stop looking at end result and start looking at theme. It's not an uncommon sight in high fantasy for a skilled swordsman to be able to throw some kind of energy with a swing, giving them ranged capacity in a melee weapon. Even in cases where the ability can be used with any weapon, like this, it still actually requires the weapon, the motions, and the focus. Remove the weapon, same individual isn't going to shoot the energy from his fingertips.
Last I checked, you could use Melee with unarmed attacks if you wanted (as long as you arn't using Martial Arts Charms), so you could actually remove the weapon and shoot energy from your fingertips.
no melee doesn't work without a weapon, so you do need a weapon for BSB, that says any weapon, even an improvised weapon will do, so you can shoot BSB out of a toothpick.

also while it is not uncommon in fantasy for a swordsman to throw energy of his sword there is a reason why it is only in fantasy, its not something a human can do, its not even an extension of something a human can do. it simply uses a prop a human might have used in a completely different way.

for further precedent of solar charms that do more than extend mortal ability, phantom-conjuring performance (summon illusion without sorcery), enemy-castigating solar judgment (a presence based combat charm), essence gathering temper and willpower enhancing spirit (mortals never get more powerful as a direct result of taking damage), eagle wing style (mortals cant fly), door evading technique (mortals must find some way to open any door), sometimes horses fly approach (mortals rarely even get naturally flying mounts never IRL).

you might wish to say that these do enhance mortal ability

move -> fly, audible performance -> visual performance

my responce

make ranged energy attack (flame piece) -> make ranged energy attack without weapon.

also mortals do get energy manipulation in exalted, thaumatergy may be slow but you can summon elemental forces with it.

Edward

Neat charms, IMO.

I usually don't worry too much about it when people go "doing this is the purview of <creature type>", because it's usually a non-issue.

The question is: is this in-theme for the creature type you're writing for?

If the answer is "yes" (and in this case, I think it is), then balance for power and you're done.

I think what we have here is the case of a man who's played too much DND.
Uh, what? Because I think the wyld shaping charms belong in Occult I play too much D&D? Hows that work? Lore involves learning and enlightenment, not reshaping reality with your mind. Occult however governs sorcery, which DOES let you do that. Therefore I think they should be in Occult not Lore.

This is learning to shape reality to your whims. Knowing how ghosts and spirits and magic interact is about Occult. Knowing how magic interacts with creation is about Lore, as it is basically Exalted science.

Science versus magic seems to be the difference between Lore and Occult.

I'd object that sorcery which is clearly shaping, falls under Occult.

Both Occult and Lore deal with "how the way things work in creation.", though "bending things Creation" is more Occult than Lore, which is more about "bending the Wyld"

There's a point to be made here with the Lunar Charm Wind-Wings Carry Technique. It increases the range of any attack, even those that are normally close combat Charms; the latter effect is obvious as Essence effects come into play where the Lunar can't reach. Kind of like how Essence rides out from the Solar's weapon (whatever they might happen to be doing with it) when using Sandstorm Wind Attack or Blazing Solar Bolt.

So, Lunars pretty much already have a Charm that allows them to do this, and Solars using an unarmed version would, as has been brought up already, use Martial Arts instead of Melee. Occult has a full suite of things that it could do with thaumaturgy themes, and Solar Lore involves defining things. The closest equivalent it has to "send Essence through air" is "send Essence into a subject, possibly enlightening them."

I'd place forehead lasers in Presence. If you're just staring at someone and they start to burn, then, well, it's a pretty good fit for branching off of Enemy-Castigating Solar Judgment. You're so imposing that you can make people catch on fire.

Code:
On the other hand, for the material creatures, Survival seems more appropriate (see Solar Flare Methodology in DotFA).

How does the placement of a Charm in DotFA strike you as being appropriate? Especially if the Charm in question duplicates the name of an Archery Charm and has a nonsensical prerequisite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back