Cavalry movement in Mass Combat (2e)

Sherwood, horses don't like going on ships or airplanes, and I don't think they would like airships any better.  I would suggest that the forces of Lookshy and the Realm keep, at strategic locations like the Redoubts and the fortresses of allied nations, the exceptional horses, supplies and the grooms necessary to maintain them.  The average chariot had one driver and one to three fighters, usually archers, depending on size.

I would suggest that you have the DBs create Artifact Chariots.  A chariot would be a large artifact, around the same size as a scout warstrider, and could easily be a level three artifact.  As a level three artifact (Power 4, Usefulness 3, Game Impact 2, Script Immunity 3, Components 2, Notoriety 2) the Artifact Chariots could easily grant the horses triple movement (Power 2), a plus two to Strength, Dexterity and Stamina (three Power 2 effects), a plus four to Athletics, Endurance and Resistance (three Power 2 effects), a +4B/+4L soak (Power 2 effect) and a +4L damage to their trample (which should be [strength] L damage if the horses have horseshoes, [strength] A damage to Fair Folk since horse shoes are usually made from cold iron).  This would greatly improve the capabilities of the already exceptional horses.  These Artifact Chariots would require a level two Hearthstone or Essence Accumulator, more likely with Lookshy given their geomantic shortages, and a five mote commitment from the driver.

First, your "sources" are both chronologically way past the "technological level" of exalted and therefore a lot of the problems of cavalry are addressed by that level of technology in a way it isn't in exalted yet.

Second, a few quotes from your own sources:

The ordinary use of cavalry is to follow up infantry attacks and complete their success. It should never be sent against fresh infantry; and should generally, therefore, be reserved until towards the last of the action.

The chief duties of cavalry in a defensive battle are (1.) To watch the enemy's cavalry, to prevent its surprising our infantry. (2.) To guard our troops from being outflanked. (3.) To defend our infantry and artillery while manoeuvring. (4.) To be ready to charge the enemy the instant his attack on our troops is repulsed.

(...)

and the list goes on. So... I'd say your sources say that I am right.

Would you two both stop it.

It's like watching children argue over who would win in a comic book hero fight.

I would suggest that you have the DBs create Artifact Chariots.
I like it.  As an artifact, it is small enough and simple enough that DB artificers could construct it, and it fits with the feel of the Exalted world.  It wouldn't be a mass produced item, but even in small numbers they would be very effective as a rapidly moving archery platform or using slash-and-run tactics.  Consider the idea adopted!   :D

In the graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns, Batman takes down Superman.  Wolverene may have a rapid healing factor, but cannot match the intelect of Batman.  Wolvie would get his butt kicked, admantium claws and skeleton aside.

.... of course he does, in a novel where *he's* the protagonist. That's hardly an objective source to turn to.

'sides, we're talking a fight here. The leverage his "superior intellect" might give him isn't gonna give him much of an edge against the most combat-trained frickin' killing machine there is (and then I haven't mentioned his superior senses, healing factor, claws and instincts. Oh wait, I just did! :) ).

Whenever you talk about Batman, you have to talk about the scenario. If Batman has time to prepare, he can beat anyone- that is undeniable. Batman only fails when he can't bring his vast riches and full strategic consideration onto the job with him.

Considering how noticeable Wolverine is, do you think Bats is going to go anywhere near him until he's fully kitted out with giant magnets, scent bombs and anti-mutant pills?

... Wolvie is the epitome of the hunting beast. He knows how to be invisible when he needs to. People seem to neglect that fact that he *is* highly trained.

... and "anti-mutant pills"?... please.

Solfi said:
... Wolvie is the epitome of the hunting beast. He knows how to be invisible when he needs to. People seem to neglect that fact that he *is* highly trained.
Was highly trained. Then he got amnesia. Batman also knows how to be invisible and is highly trained.

Solfi said:
That was me making fun of 60s Batman.

well, Adam West went straight into my list of idols, if not for the pure cheese factor of 60s TV Batman, then for his part on Family Guy... :)

... aaand with that, I guess this thread is officially jacked  8)

hijacked.jpg

*WHAM*

*banging*

*WHAM*

*head*

*WHAM*

*against*

*WHAM*

*wall*

*WHAM*

*un..t...til*

*WHAM*

*I...i*

*WHAM*

*f...fa..llll*

*WHAM*

*un..con...consc...iousssss*

*THUD from my body hitting the floor*

Jukashi said:
Solfi said:
Was highly trained. Then he got amnesia. Batman also knows how to be invisible and is highly trained.

Solfi said:
That was me making fun of 60s Batman.
Dude, anti-shark spray was the WIN. It made sharks explode!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back