Cartography in RPGs

What of the following best describes your opinion on maps (of any type) in roleplaying games?

• Maps are required in almost every RP that could have even the slightest need for them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maps are useful in most RPs to get a clear sense of things and help avoid misunderstandings.

• Maps look nice and probably come in handy at times, but aren't really all that needed.

• Aside from a few area maps now and then, more sketches than anything else, maps are redundant.

• Total voters
I say "not that good" when I try to add mountains. I tend to include too many mountains in illogical places. I'll show you an example when I get home from work.

Wow, Skari. Wolf's impressed *bark*

Can't wait to see how you handle the mountains though. Judging on this it can't be that bad.

@Strude - if you were trying to bump me, sorry but I haven't done any work at all since you-know-when :( But that is looking to change soon, I might freshen things up here a bit when I finish the town map for a Silent Hill - inspired roleplay I am working on.

that is cool, I haven't done any 'map' work myself (bunch of other stuff, but no maps). You should toots share your town map though!

Here is one map with mountains, for comparison. Thank you for your positive comments, it is really appreciated :)

Onarim%20Brown%20Cont%201.jpg

Those mountains don't look all that unreasonable, though I'd guess this area had a lot of volcanic activity not that long ago.

Looks alright to me - though like Kaerri pointed out - there does seem to be alot of 'em :P

And I'd steer clear of putting them on smaller landmasses like those islands you've got.

One other remark I have is that they all seem to be the same brush. You'd do better to have more variety ;) *bark*

Well, that's why I thought they were volcanic - seems a lot of mountainous islands are.

That's my point. I tend to overdo it. I still have the PS file so I can redo it when I am motivated enough. I did make a clean version (easier to print and stuff) that I started using for a campaign, but we haven't played in a long time.

Onarim%20BW%20Cont%201%20wStuff.jpg

It was a cooperative world building for the most part.

I love maps and cartography when it comes to fiction and rp, they're not essential but can really give a feel for the background of your stories. I've always valued them as a writing tool since it allows me to envisage the realm or world that I'm building in greater detail and has led to some awesome ideas.

I did some writing a while ago as part of a world creation project. The project didn't really lead anywhere in the end but I had a lot of fun inventing a Nordic-based island, culture and cities. I'm thinking that perhaps in the future I'll expand upon this to create a fantasy world that can act as a backdrop for novels or roleplay. I am by no means artistic (If there were such a term as 'artistically retarded' that would be me) but I drew a map of my nation, named Ultraea and built upon it by scanning and editing it in Photoshop. The result is as follows:

znKArnw.jpg

So I've been seeing some really nice maps through the random media display at the bottom of the index page, and I thought to resurrect this thread. Maybe we can get some new discussions going on, or just a pile of semi-fancy maps *woof*

I, myself do not like to use maps often in rp's, unless the playing area is extremely massive. I believe a good description can get the job done better than a map on most occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back