Battle wheels

The sheepgirl? She's from... damn... I had the url for that artsite. The art was unleashed on 4chan some time back thou.

I must admit, I haven't actually bothered to sit down and iron out how the battlewheel system actually works (and what the strengths and weaknesses of the system are).

At first glance though, my impression is that letting the players have counters that they keep track of seem like the less clunky option. How using counters might screw up the ST on the other hand I have yet to consider (piles and piles of counters for each NPC?).

Anyone care to compare the battle-wheel system with using counters? And what methods of DV house-keeping do you use?

From my personal experience, the individual players didn't work out that well since not all of my players actually pay attention. It led to a lot of "wait, it was my turn X ticks ago" or getting off on a tangent and forgetting if we already threw a counter in. Not to mention, as a ST, keeping track of 5-15 different sets of counters. The tick sheet could have worked, but I think having a big ol' wheel that everyone can see helps make decisions. I still have one player (uteck) keep track of the ticks for the entire combat, which I found really helps keep people on track. Though, I might make his wife do it during mass combat. :) Mainly because she gets bored then.

I've only used the battlewheel so I can't give a comparison to counters. But we use 10 sided dice as the markers and keep track of the DV penalties on the die. We start with all the dice on '0' and then turn it when he appropriate penalty is applied. No one's done a huge flurry yet so a penalty beyond 9 hasn't been an issue. Who knows if it ever will be? I doubt my character will, since his weapon's rate is only 1.......

But the system works well enough for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back