🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Avvros

By: The Dark Wizard, Captain Heserpus, The World is Flat

[media]

[/media]

Avvros, to the best that the greatest of the sages can tell, is surrounded in a blanket of fire, and after that, a blanket of the deepest black, speckled with points of light. We have come together to call this expanse the void, and we do not know if anything indeed lies beyond. - Sage Ignotus Ferrel, 133 Avv.

Avvros is our home. Avvros is a living, breathing place. We live each day under the light from the Gate Tower, or in the darkness of the unlit reaches. Avvros is known by the creators who came before us as a Star. It is said that we are shrouded in an impregnable wall of fire, as the great sages have read from the works of the creators. Avvros is the seat of the Great Protectorate, who keeps us safe from the Adjunct, and any other things from the dark places.

As the myth goes, the first of us were born into the darkness, with only bare flames to light the dark places, alone, and cold we were, and would have died. But it is said that the city itself saved the last of us on the eve of our demise - lighting the Gate Tower and burning the hungry adjunct.

To this day, the statues of the survivors are given offerings by humble pilgrims, seeking solace and meaning in the warm stone eyes of the effigies. It is said they founded the first protectorate, making brave forays into the dark to find those others lost in the dark; saving some, burying others.

We give thanks to the city and the creators who have given us life - and we also give thanks for the challenges that they have presented us, to strengthen our resolve and prove ourselves the masters of this place - worthy of the creator’s accomplishments. - Pious Nome Altair

This city changes day-by-day, constantly evolving. Some days, I try and find an overlook in the Gate Tower to look out over the expanses and watch the city work. It’s a beautiful thing, the graceful pipes and slides slowly moving in concert, interacting in ways we can barely imagine. I’ve been able to identify some patterns - but other movements yet confound me. The creators were capable of such unimaginable genius, I cannot describe.

Last week, I observed a pipe in the outer atrium which had been leaking an amount of fluid for many years. This pipe itself began to tighten around the midsection and rotate vertically, unlike the slow and steady horizontal rotation that it usually occupied itself with. After a brief moment, the assembly shuddered, and the leak had disappeared. The station is just as alive as the Sages would have us believe. - Rium Daveikvy, 3rd undermechanic, foreman Darrow, 376 Avv.

It’s as if they wanted us to make this place the seat of our power. All the networks inevitably must pass through Avvros. In our modern age, it is natural that the trade between the Stars would pass through Avvros, but why? It is well observed that Avvros may be the largest of all the stars - certainly the most intricate in design and the most livable. It was the Ideal place to locate the center of the Protectorate beaurocracy.

My master often callinglling it the Protectorate was either a great act of self deception or a great act of cunning - maybe sometimes I think it could be both. We do as much as we can to protect people from the truth - that much is certain. I don’t know if i’d be here if it wasn’t for my Modulation. It certainly isn’t for the relaxing work environment and the stimulating company.

Then again, the choice “Join or Die” is a fairly easy one to make. - Magister Javidd Macheas, 411 Avv.

They said that the protectorate doesn't come looking for you if you live in a Free Star. They were right - for a time. Shas and I always loved to explore. It got us in trouble. It would always be safer for you if you lived in a state independent from the Protectorate. At least if you were caught the security would be so weak you could bust out without breaking a sweat. That or the guard would be your cousin and he’d sneak you out the first day.

I never realized how far the Protectorate influence reaches. Even in a so called “Independent Star” Avvrosian power-politics will find you if they think they can use you... Or take what you’ve got for their own.

When we found the Mechanisms we didn’t know what we’d gotten ourselves into. We’d heard of them. I heard some made you beautiful, or fast, or strong. The Protectorate says that they are potentially dangerous - it’s against the law to keep them for yourself. Shas and I didn’t realize this actually meant that they were potentially dangerous to the Protectorate.

The things she can do now! Oh man, if you could see her. Modulation is amazing. Some do make you faster or more beautiful. But some let you fly. Some let you punch through walls. Some let you give it back to those protectorate thugs and their “Independent Star” lackeys.

We’re lucky we found one of the right kind. Guess which? - Alan Montegro

The first discoveries of Mechanisms and the effect of Human Modulation is recorded in the hundredth year of the rediscovery. The discovery was entirely accidental. The effects, at first, were fear-inspiring. A single man could lift the weight of ten men. A modulated worker could haul as much cargo as an entire crew. A woman could change her appearance so as that any man might desire her - an imagine of beauty unrivalled. The effects never seemed to be the same, at first.

The Protectorate intervened, declaring all distribution and use of unsanctioned Mechanisms was illegal, and instituted a service that managed all modulations. This board is now known as the Mechanism & Modulation board. Many modifications have been deemed unsafe for distribution, and are only used by Protectorate Interdiction forces. Harmless ones, ones that make workers more efficient, women and men more beautiful, Sages more intelligent, have been released to the public via corporate sponsors.

If the Protectorate identifies an individual bearing an illegal Modulation, they are offered a choice - submit to extraction (the act of removing a modification, while painful returns the person to normal. Observed 66.3% fatality rate in unmedicated procedures.), sign on to the Protectorate, or sign on to an independent contractor, such as an accredited Local League championship or Avvros Society Services (A wealthy lobbying group with close ties to Protectorate Interdiction Command). The choice is usually among the latter pair.

Other individuals will attempt to subvert the system. These indviduals are known to the Protectorate and Independent Stars as “Hackers” or “Junkers”. They are dangerous groups known to subvert the stability and defense of the Grid. They are dangerous and often live short, violent, unhealthy lives. Any suspected Hackers or Junkers should be reported to your local official as quickly as possible.

The Protectorate’s Meritocratical Seat is always searching for members with great capability for key, high-ranking positions, and many Modulated hold key cabinet positions within the Meritocracy.

Tours are available between the hours of +4:00 Power Cycle to -2:00 Curfew.

To schedule a tour of the Mechanism & Modulation board, please fill out the attached form... - Protectorate Mechanism & Modulation board Pamphlet, 402 Avv.

• 1. The setting of Avvros is the eponymous Avvros, a city built within a star. The humans that live there do not understand their world, but they are slowly discovering a past and a city that are both living, evolving entities unimaginable in scope and complexity. The city is constantly changing. It evolves and repairs itself. The city is massive in size, spanning monumental distances and the extent of it’s size is currently unknown to the humans who live there.

The City and some of its outlying minor neighbors, often called “Independent Stars”, are ruled by the Protectorate, a Meritocratical Regime that seeks total order and unity among all residents of Avvros. Although often using martial force and brutal tactics, proponents argue that it has allowed for a safer and more tenable living experience for all.

The Protectorate’s name originates from the First Two, or the Progenitors. It is said that they were the ones who staved off the Adjunct and all humans are now born of them. Whether this is indeed true or not is unknown, although the modern-day protectorate uses the mythos to bolster its position, and it is also true that they manage the systems and defenses that keep the Adjunct at bay.

The Sages seek to study and understand Avvros, and often lead cloistered lives that establish settlements deep in the dark, unlit areas of Avvros. It is their conclusion that only a miniscule part of Avvros is currently active, and they hope that their expertise will enable them to reclaim more and more of the City.

The Junkers and Hackers are two competing groups that rule the fringes of society. The hackers have mastered methods of accessing and manipulating the city’s functions, and the Junkers often run forays into the unexplored sections of the city and return with Mechanisms, weapons, and equipment that they trade or use for personal gain.

Travel between parts of Avvros and the Independent Stars which house many of it’s criminals, grow many of it’s crops, and produce much of it’s commodities is enabled through the Medallions. The medallions are small metal discs, extremely rare, that enable travel to a particular star. Many medallions lead to Avvros, but few lead away to the more disparate tertiary stars that support Avvros’ economy.

To travel, one must first take a medallion to a particular Star’s Gate tower, and then place the Medallion in that Gate, which will instantaneously move them from one star to another. Some know that each medallion represents a unique identifier and sequence, that when decoded can be used independent of that medallion. Hackers manipulate this function to smuggle goods from star to star without the use of expensive and dangerous medallions, whos use and trade is regulated by the Protectorate.

Also we just wanted to make steampunk in space with medieval people who live inside stars. What. Too unoriginal? :(

2. Mechanisms & Skills

Character's have access to special changes in their genetic structure found within devices called Mechanisms. Mechanisms are found in two distinct types, the first are called Basics, and they are small improvements with a more minimal impact on genetic stability. The others are known as Advanced, and they produce a more dramatic and complex effect on the genetic structure. These changes are referred to as Modulations. Not all humans are capable of using Mechanisms to produce Modulations on their genetic structure. The two terms are sometimes used interchangeably.

Mechanisms take time to adapt to and train oneself to use, and as such, one must often decide to take the time to master skills or modulations as a child. Basic skills, such as training in an art or science, or a simple profession often require the same effort as mastering a basic modulation. Advanced skills, such as “Hacking” or “Junking” into Avvro’s complex mechanical systems takes often as much time as mastering an Advanced Mechanism.

As such, humans are limited initially to two basic Skills or Mechanisms (or one of each) and one one Advanced Skill or Advanced Mechanism.

3. Players will be allowed to submit as many characters as they want and are encouraged to suggest ideas and the such to the lore and setting to improve it.

Please note: If you have more then one character approved you are not allowed to use them in the same thread without an ST’s permission.

4. We encourage you to make any character you want to: If you want to be a member of the Protectorate, a Junker, a Hacker, a storekeeper, or a dirt farmer’s son from an Agriculture Star, you can be that. We encourage discussion and development with the storytellers on your place in the story. The more interaction the better.

If you are interested in joining please post below! We do not have any limits on players as of yet.

You've captured me. A fun sounding game. Now to think of a fun concept. And I will be only bringing one chara for now. ^^

Myllinnia said:
You've captured me. A fun sounding game. Now to think of a fun concept. And I will be only bringing one chara for now. ^^
I can't like your post hard enough :D !

When Myllinnia joins my games, my day gets so much better :)

I highly enjoy your RPing style. :)

First of all, this setting is amazing, secondly, I'd definitely love to play. Now to think of a good character concept...

Wow. All this response is awesome. Guys, you're great. Cant wait to see the awesome characters. Wizard Captain and I had a AWESOME time making this setting and world, and there are some awesome twists in store! :D Can't wait to see where you go with it!

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]I can't like your post hard enough :D !
When Myllinnia joins my games, my day gets so much better :)

I highly enjoy your RPing style. :)

[/QUOTE]
Aww thank you. I always have fun rping, but for awhile I have felt my work has been a little less cool. Hearing this appreciation from most of all I play and run with on RPDom always makes me happy. ^^

Also the settings on this forum are absolutely wonderful places to play in.

Anyway basic concept will be a Troubleshooter, her skills based in stealth, theft, seduction, infiltration, and information gathering perhaps. (Granted this is from just a concept and I have to fit this into the interesting mechanical thingy we've got going on here.) Regardless of that she will be a very non-serious seeming woman only a few will be able to determine the difference between her joy and her anger. (Or something... ya. xD )

Well, I'd be crazy to miss out on this!

I'm definitely in!

And it allows me to use a character concept I've been dying to play! Half crazed, Scrounger survivalist, germ a phobe coming up :D

The Adjunct are on the move, as of earlier this morning. We've been tracking the pack that first struck during the outage on Prelature 16. They have no idea we're watching them. We brought flood lights just in case something happens. This is my first time out of the Prefectures. Everything seems to go on forever. I've seen more new things here on the first day than I ever imagined i'd see by the end of my days. I don't know what I'd do without the Benefice that the sages gave me. - Power Cycle 8:30
The Creators didn't end their days peacefully, I don't care what Sage Anders says. We see the signs every day down here in the Unlit. If the man would just join an expedition out of the Prefectures! Every day we find dozens of skeletal creator remains. Some of them are mostly dust, but you can see they died without expecting it. One of the rooms Richie managed to get us into, (I don't ask, but we all think that he was a Hacker before the Sage-Lord found him.) had a bed, and there were two of them, just lying there. Perfect skeletons. As if they were sleeping when something happened. It feels so wrong. - Power Cycle 8:31
We found a dead Adjunct today. Well, Milton stumbled over it is a better way to put it. Thank the Creators it was dead or else... I don't want to think. I'm supposed to dissect it, but I'm not sure how. Their skin is so thick, i'd need a chisel and a hammer to get inside. We don't have that time. I think We're going to bring it back to the Prefecture.
I've seen so many things! I can't possibly write about all of them! We found this other room, Richie's work again, bless him, (He's so handsome), and it was huge! It was so big we couldn't see the other side with even the biggest of the floodlights we brought, which is saying something. At the top, there was this huge blue light. What could it do?

Even Unlit there was so much activity there. Pipes spinning, vents and hatches opening and turning. Avvros doesn't need us to keep living. Thankfully it doesn't seem to mind the company. I wish we could say for the Adjunct. I'd write more, but it's dinner time and they'd just as well let your starve if it meant keeping schedule. - Power Cycle 9:1
We're very close the the Protectorate now. The city is just a half a days travel through the Unlit. I almost want to go to the edge, but if the Protectorate found us, we'd all be in enormous trouble. The sages are on rocky enough terms as it is with the Protectorate now, Imagine what they would think if we were making unregistered Expeditions?
The pack seems to be moving toward the city, though. We need to be careful. If they get too close, we'll have to abandon the study. We almost had an incident earlier, Richie almost got caught out in the dark, but we managed to get some light on him. It reminds me of how dangerous things are down here. I was so scared. I'll have nightmares tonight.

Sage Anders thinks that the Adjunct killed the creators. If he'd just come down here and see. They tear things apart - fools caught in the darkness, each other. They wouldn't leave two people peacefully in bed and strip them down to the bone. Ugh, I can't forget that sight. I dream about it sometimes. Everyone knows that the Mythos says that when the Creators made Avvros, it was a golden city. What else can they mean but it was lit? The Adjunct die in the light. They can't have.

It's still fascinating to watch them. How they move, think. They have this instinctual knowledge of this place that may have only come from spending a very long time here; Richie observed the pack in a clearing ahead, just... waiting for something. He's so smart and clever; In not too long vent opened in the wall, just big enough for them to pass into it. We'd almost lost them until one of our trips went off almost an hour's hard hike away. - Power Cycle 9:2
I wish I'd never come on this horrible expedition! This morning, we tracked the Adjunct as close to the city as we dared. Richie volunteered to track them closer to the city while we set up camp. It's been an entire day and he's not been back! I'm too sick to my stomach to even write another word. - Power Cycle 9:3
Richie is back. We're all still in shock, I think. Not that he's alive - he's too smart to get himself killed. He knows i'd kill him if he did that. It's what he's told us, what he saw. It's unbelievable. The Sage Michael still thinks he's misinterpreting what he saw. The Adjunct are more clever than we ever imagined. They might have known we were following them all long and they just let us. They were heading to the city because they knew, somehow, they knew that the Lower Wards of Avvros would lose power. Richie said he has set up a good hiding place where he could see the wards, but before he could Settle in, the whole area went dark. The way he's relayed this to us - to me - is so much more eloquent. The Adjunct had been gathering in the shadows out of sight of the Protectorate's Lower Ward slums. Somehow they knew that the lights would go off. Can they hear the station somehow, can they read it's movements?
Unlit, Richie says he saw them descend on the wards. It was chaos. He couldn't see anything. It must have been horrible. He's still shaking. I'm shaking. I think we're leaving back for the Prefecture. I want to get as far away from the Protectorate as possible. As far away from all this as possible. Sister Mariah was right. Why did I ever leave the cloisters?

But if I hadn't, maybe I wouldn't have met Richie. I don't know what to think. I'm scared. What if the Adjuncts target us next? Will the Floodlights be enough? What if they find a way to resist the light, do any of us stand a chance?

The work the Sages do with the information we bring back will be invaluable. I just hope it amounts to anything. I need to go check on Richie. - Power Cycle 9:5
- From the journal of Aimee Ngmeiko, Sage's Apprentice, Prefecture Caneveckle, Unlit Region 604 West

My interest is here. I have a character that I haven't even checked-up on in a while that might fit in this RP.

DreamingofRoses said:
This looks....pretty awesome actually.
A reserved 'yes' to joining.
First time I've ever known you to be reserved about anything... :P

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]First time I've ever known you to be reserved about anything... :P
Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
Ah ha. Ah hahaha. It's great you have such confidence in your sense of humor. Misplaced, maybe, but great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back