1E vs. 2E

Okay... that's it! I'm so going to post meat in a bun recipe now!

You've brought me to that depraved level...

Haku said:
Okay... that's it! I'm so going to post meat in a bun recipe now!
You've brought me to that depraved level...
I thought you were already!?

MAN!  What was I thinking???

I know I'm kinda late to this party, but there is one thing I'd like to add.  2E is much better after you've had some practice with it.

True. Now, while that can be said of pretty much any system, it might take a session or two to get used to the tick system. I didn't have much problem, but some of my players did. I think to help them along we're going to try the tokens idea that someone suggested...instead of just relying on me and a tick sheet.

Give each player a tick sheet and make them keep track of their own actions. One learns better by doing.

Flagg said:
Give each player a tick sheet and make them keep track of their own actions. One learns better by doing.
I like that idea.  I may very well do that.

Yeah, only problem with it is it requires a working printer to get good tick sheets. Maybe someday I'll actually remember to buy the dratted ink when I go out to get it... *mutters*

Personally, I think I like the counters thing myself. Basically the same idea, with a slightly different implementation. That doesn't use lots of paper. Or require access to a laminator.

Amazon's got some good prices right now.  Just got my new supply in. $10.95 for re-inks and $17 for freshies.  Next day delivery is a dream.

The tick sheet I used ("Extended") has a bazillion columns. I can get through an entire series worth of battles on one piece of paper.

You could always go the ghetto route and make your own with a pen and some paper.

I could...but that'd be too much work when I could just use the counters or something similar and get the same result. Yep, I'm lazy. :D

Counters are more environmentally friendly, and when there's a pile on the table anyway it's just that many fewer sheets to keep track of.

It's a matter of taste I suppose, but I like the counter system.

I'm assuming by "counters" you're referring to one of those "battle wheel" thingies?

How do they compensate for actions taking longer than 6 ticks?

Hmm? I think they're refering to a pile of tokens or stones...at least, that's what i think of when refering to counters...though I suppose that's from my childhood Magic playing days.

Hmm? I think they're refering to a pile of tokens or stones...at least' date=' that's what i think of when refering to counters...though I suppose that's from my childhood Magic playing days.[/quote']
Ahh, Magic...The days (and money) I lost playing that God damn game.

~FC.

Scary thing is it still hasn't died yet...and still has pro players. Though they've done so much mangling to the rules and twinkery that I don't think those of us who are old school players that abandoned the game would have any inclination to pick it back up. Well, that and they'd never let us play with our old decks in a modern tourney. Money grabbing bastards.

Flagg said:
I'm assuming by "counters" you're referring to one of those "battle wheel" thingies?
How do they compensate for actions taking longer than 6 ticks?
Stone/bead style counters. They're cheap, durable and versatile, and they account for tick-adding effects more easily than the other systems. I suspect tick-accounting will become more hectic as the game progresses to and through the Siddies and the Abyssals..

Beads are the way to go, anyway. I'd use a tick wheel if not the beads, but I'd go for a ten-tick wheel rather than six.

No offense, but I've always viewed those bead thingies as being primarily useful to people who don't like dealing with numbers in theoretical terms, and need a physical object they can count.

I've also always imagined these people moving their lips while they read ;)

I'm thinking of experimenting with simply keeping a d10 on the side and using that...though i'm a little worried that certain effect might push an action beyond that...like Distracting Finger Gesture used on someone with a really slow action in the first place. Then again, I'm also a d20 player...who knows...might be an actual use for the poor d12. ;)

Flagg said:
No offense, but I've always viewed those bead thingies as being primarily useful to people who don't like dealing with numbers in theoretical terms, and need a physical object they can count.
Well when you've five people trying to each remember their tick count, and an ST trying to remember another five numbers, externalisations are the way to go. And where externalisation is concerned, there's no difference, practically or intellectually, between accounting with an abacus, with beads or with chicken-scratchings on a piece of paper.

Flagg said:
Well, in some areas and times reading without doing it aloud has been a reason for thinking someone was in league with demons or some such. Though I'm sure my old teachers would have hated me doing so...they were annoyed enough that I was always reading in class and yet could still answer their questions whenever they asked such.

I just use the MS Works spreadsheet.  All the space I want.  Besides, the books are all on my computer anyway.

*pulling out the waterhose to spray off Flagg after he pukes*

WHAT!?!

I'm just trying to be helpful!

Besides, MS Works has everything I need.  Address book, Calendar, Database, Spreadsheet, and Word Processor.  All in one nifty package.  Even though I don't use the Address book, Calendar, or Database.

So what you're saying is, you paid a lot of money for something you could have had for free?

I suppose everyone makes mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back