• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Japan

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The second that Snowfall comes into close contact with the Tree sapling, he can immediately tell that the tree is not the real deal, but is instead just a normal tree! It either was somehow switched during the flight, or, more disturbingly, it was never the real tree from the beginning. What do you do now?

Kikimura Kikimura is up with Tula

23 - Ando [1]
21 - enhanced psycho security 1 [1] armor damaged
21 - enhanced psycho security 2-3 [1]
18 - Kimi To [1]
16 - Snowfall [1]
15 - Tula <====
15 - Major Izumo
14 - SAMAS flight 1-5
13 - Takuma
12 - Fuchizaki
11 - psycho security force 4-6
7 - psycho security force 7-10

A quick bump for Kikimura Kikimura . After another day, we'll move forward so we don't lose anyone with inactivity.

Tula rushed off the vassal as instructed, drawing out her AT-230 rifle, Aiming it at the closest enhanced phsycho security (1).

Looking through the scope she tapped the trigger.

(8+7=15 to hit)
(4x10=40+10=50 DMG)

Last edited:
Tula raises up her rifle and fires, taking the armored figure by surprise. The unexpected attack hits the figure and blows a large chunk out of the armor, dropping the figure to the deck in a puddle of blood.

The Major grabs her pistol and fires a shot at one of the enhanced security guards near her, but the figure twists out of the way far faster than a unenhanced human could possibly do.

The five SAMAS suit pilots continue with their orders to protect the transport, placing themselves in the line of fire to keep the ship safe as they return fire on the traitorous security force with missiles and beam cannons, killing three of them.

GunMan2 GunMan2 is up

23 - Ando [1]
18 - Kimi To [1]
16 - Snowfall [1]
15 - Tula [1]
15 - Major Izumo [1]
14 - SAMAS flight 1-5 [1]
13 - Takuma <====
12 - Fuchizaki
7 - psycho security force 7-10

Having a look at who is standing or who is going to be killed off. He saw that the fox was taking the seed and running away with it. He did not care as it was just a seed.

He aimed his riffle at the nearest psycho security 8 and let loose 3 burst shoot at the guy. "Be ready to die"

Last edited:
Takuma fires of a burst that catches the target off guard, stitching across his armor. He's hurt but still up.

Steve Freeling Steve Freeling is up with Fuchizaki

23 - Ando [1]
18 - Kimi To [1]
16 - Snowfall [1]
15 - Tula [1]
15 - Major Izumo [1]
13 - Takuma [1]
12 - Fuchizaki <====
7 - psycho security force 7
7 - psycho security force 8 damaged
7 - psycho security force 9-10

Fuchizaki sees one of the guards charging at him and quickly makes up his mind. He aims his AT-230 directly at the guard's chest and fires.
"Not today, scumbag!" Fuchizaki snarls.
8+12=20
1d4x10+10 M.D.

Last edited:
The SAMAS pilot lets fly with his beam cannon, scoring a solid hit on security guard number 7.

In response, the four remaining guards continue to spray the transport with gunfire, causing more damage to the transport but not destroying it yet.

Eonivar Eonivar is up with Ando for action #2

23 - Ando [1] <====
18 - Kimi To [1]
16 - Snowfall [1]
15 - Tula [1]
15 - Major Izumo [1]
13 - Takuma [1]
12 - Fuchizaki [1]
7 - psycho security force 7 damaged [1]
7 - psycho security force 8 damaged [1]
7 - psycho security force 9-10 [1]

Ando turns towards the two very fast moving enhanced security forces and tries again to use his telekinesis to push them up and over the side of the building., reaching forward with his hand and focusing.

Attack = 1D20+5 = 22

MDC: 170
Absurr Life Node MDC: 300
Kuru Street Armor: 75
ISP: 195

Current ISP: 195-30 = 165-50 = 115-50=65

The wave of telekinetic force flies out from Ando's hand just like before, but this time he is able to 'grab hold' of one of the two enhanced security guards and force push him off of the roof of the building. You can hear his anguished scream as he falls to his death.

The last of the three enhanced security force turns on Kimi To and fires a burst at her with his energy rifle. The attack will hit unless you do something about it.

Psychie Psychie is up, and has a defense to declare.

23 - Ando [2]
21 - enhanced psycho security 3 [2]
18 - Kimi To [1] <====
16 - Snowfall [1]
15 - Tula [1]
15 - Major Izumo [1]
13 - Takuma [1]
12 - Fuchizaki [1]

Happy to see that there is only one of the traitorous enhanced security guards left, Kimi To knows that she doesn't have much to worry about from just one man. Instead of trying to dodge or parry, she instead hauls off a Power Punch with her staff in a Simultaneous Attack against the gunman.

29 to hit, doing 65 MD damage
Hand to Hand Damage: Inflicts 1D6x10 S.D.C. on a restrained punch, 6d6 M.D. on a full strength punch, or 2D4x10 M.D. on a power punch (counts as two melee attacks).

MDC: 460
ISP: 70
PPE: 285
Action Points: 6

Millennium Tree Staff of Defense
MDC: 600
PPE: 40
Damage: 2d6 SDC/3d6 MDC
Can be used to parry projectiles at a -6.

Combat Bonuses
Number of Attacks: 3 / 4 with Staff
Strike: +10
Parry: +13 / +14 with staff weapons
Dodge: +18
Roll: +8
Initiative: +4 / +10 with Zanshin
Perception: +5
Save vs Horror Factor: +7
Critical Strike on a Natural 20
Critical Strike from Behind
+2 on all Saving Throws

The simultaneous attack catches the guard off balance, and Kimi's Power Attack slams into the man, shattering his armor and knocking him off his feet. He quickly leaps back upright, but you can tell he's hurt.

His plasma rifle scores a solid hit to the young dragon, doing 30 MD damage to her.

Purr Purr is up with Snowfall

23 - Ando [2]
18 - Kimi To -30 MD [3]
16 - Snowfall [1] <====
15 - Tula [1]
15 - Major Izumo [1]
13 - Takuma [1]
12 - Fuchizaki [1]

Snowfall, using his natural and instant ability to sense magic and sense Chi, begins to use those senses to search the vessel for the Millennium Tree sapling. His reasoning is simple - there should be nothing else like it.

In all forms, the Fox Spirit always has supernatural senses and is able to automatically detect Chi and Magic. Negative Chi can be sensed from 100 feet. Magic at 200 feet, basically the same as the spell or psychic ability (RUE, page 199. Sense Magic. Works like a Geiger counter. Can tell if a person or object is enchanted or under a magic spell, is in the process of invoking magic, or if magic is being used in the range area.)

When Snowfall opens up his senses to try and detect the sapling of the Millennium Tree, he is quite certain that it is not on the transport or anywhere within your perception range. It is simply not here. The tree that had been passed off as the sapling is an ordinary cedar tree.

Kikimura Kikimura is up with Tula

23 - Ando [2]
18 - Kimi To -30 MD [3]
16 - Snowfall [2]
15 - Tula [1] <====
15 - Major Izumo [1]
13 - Takuma [1]
12 - Fuchizaki [1]

Tula kept her right eye glued to the scope, taking aim at (phsycho security 7) this time. With her AT-230 pointed his direction she took a deep breath, calming her heartbeat and pressing the trigger.

(I got a 3 on a post I had to delete)

(3+7=10 to hit)
(If I hit- 3x10=30+10=40 DMG)

Tula's weapon fire was off target, missing the man completely.

Izumo takes her best shot at the Juicer, hitting him in the chest and causing him to fall, succumbing to his injuries.

The five SAMAS suits rain fire down on the four remaining guards, and the firepower of the powered suits is more than enough to finish them off.

Moving out of combat time.

Major Izumo snarls out, "What a total cluster. Ministers, we need to get you off of the rooftop and somewhere safe. We don't know how far this conspiracy reaches, and we have to secure the scene and get you out of here."

As she talks, there is a full dozen armed soldiers that come running up from inside the building, half of which physically grab the two Ministers and haul them off of the the rooftop, and the rest spread out across the rooftop landing pad, kicking weapons clear of the fallen gunmen.

What does everyone do now?

Ando turns to look at one of the fallen attackers, drawing his pistol and. kneeling down just in case the enemy has been faking their death. If the guard is dead or at least unresponsive he takes a look to see if he could get any clues or ideas as to who, what, or where these guards came from.

Before Kimi let's herself be taken downstairs, she stops and says, "The Tree! It's still inside the transport! We have to get it out before the whole thing blows up!" Launching into a sprint, the young dragon heads at top speed to rescue the sapling.

Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

Snowfall comes walking softly down the ramp, his head low. "The sapling..." he says as he regards Kimi with great seriousness, "...is not here. It never was."

As the kitsune makes his way down the ramp, his mannerisms match the form of the old man's form he is wearing. The wind of the high building whips about his robes as he walks toward Kimi. "I believe we have been misled. The sapling is gone, replaced with a simple cedar tree that fooled even me. Hiroshima's own troops have attacked us in Hiroshima proper. The amount of shame this dishonor brings to Hiroshima is too great for words. Not to mention the explanation behind how Hiroshima's own protectors have become our would-be destroyers. There is but one answer.

Snowfall's teeth grit into a rare snarl. "Oni."

Japanese word for "demon" or "devil."

"Inari himself placed this mission into my care. I only fail the Fox of all Foxes if I do not put out the real threat to this holiest of saplings - the oni. They are the only ones to gain by this attack. Be they true demons or simply another form of Earth's countless forms of supernatural evil, I cannot say. I all I know..." he sighs as he looks back toward the blasted vessel, "is that I am ill-equipped to find them and deal with them. And young Kimi? If we fail to find them, they win."

From inside his fine robes, Snowfall produces a small wooden device with neat holes and beautiful decoration - a smooth brown flute. He slips away from his human form, disappearing and reappearing in the span but a few heartbeats. Now, before Kimi, is Snowfall in his kitsune form - a hybrid between fox and human - his white fur gleaming, his nine tails swishing. He takes a deep breath and sighs.

"Inari never said I had to take this on alone... nor that I could not have someone stand in my stead." Fingering the flute with practiced ease, he blows a single note into the air. And waits.

Above the Ministry of Metahuman Affairs, a single dark stormcloud appears from nowhere, growing and bulging, towering and floating effortlessly. Snowfall pays it no mind. Nor does he so much as flinch when, without warning, a sudden flash of blinding light shatters the scene immediately accompanied by a bone-shaking rocking of thunder too loud to be normal, but not so loud as to be... from the beyond.

When the brightness clears, there standing before Snowfall, looking down on the little fellow, is a creature not human nor spirit, but something more. Much more. A warrior with twin vibro-katanas in his eager hands, his body set in a fighting stance. The martial artist stands over six and a half feet tall, each of his thick limbs rounded with great muscles. Thick fur of bright oranges, heavenly whites, and blacks most shadowy cover him as his tigerish appearance becomes more obvious by the moment. Large sharp fangs bare themselves as eyes as bright and beautiful as clean jadeite lock upon Snowfall's own. The sudden chilling sound of a growling tiger fills the air as the thunder above him rumbles as if in response. His eyes shine like lightning... like oncoming danger...

...like a Bright Storm.

His voice is deep and menacing but not toward the kitsune. "Snowfall-sama," the warrior glares and bows with great respect, a motion that is returned by Snowfall. "If you have chosen to use the Tora flute, there can be but one reason."

"Indeed," Snowfall responds placing away the flute and crossing his arms. "Supernatural evil beyond the likes of which I can find and do battle with endanger the peacefulness of Japan's brother factions."

"Oh, do they now?"

Snowfall nods. He waves one arm toward the brave Sohei. "This is Kimi To Ichi, a Sohei from the Kyoto shrine, and..."

"...Kumo-Mi dragon hatchling."

"You know her?"

"I do not..." responds the warrior. "But Master Oran does. My clan has long trusted that snappy old twig-swinger and I? I... trust you. That is enough."

Snowfall grows silent, humbled by this response. "Yours is a clan of great might, a terrible past, and uncertain future. I am in your debt. What does your clan require of me?"

"Nothing, old one." The warrior's grin is as sure as his blades. "We still remember the spirited fox-spirit who tried so hard to preserve our animal brothers and sisters, when the humans of the 20th century slew our earthbound brethren into extinction. My clan survived in the spirit world thanks in part to Inari. And to you. If anything, it is we who are in your debt."

Snowfall waves one hand and shakes his head. "Then let us dismiss debts altogether as friends do. I am bound for Kyoto to report to Inari. And you..."

"...are the only shoki in this entire tech-riddled city from the time before the Coming of the Rifts. I never thought my first mission on Earth would begin in a place like this."

Japanese word for "demon queller"

"And yet..." Snowfall breathes a sigh of relief. "If anyone can find supernatural evil in such a strange realm, it is Hongo the Bright Storm of the Tora clan."

Hongo's eyes suddenly shine in ways mortal eyes cannot attempt to mimic. His growl is bloodthirsty. "You're damned right it is! Fare you well, old master."

"And you, my young shoki." Snowfall turns to Kimi with a relaxed expression. "Kimi? You are a dragon. He is a tiger. Try... to get along?" he looks up at both of you with a smile to show he really isn't worried, despite the Japanese tales of warring dragons and tigers symbolizing heaven and earth. Hongo can only chuckle something predatory as he sheathes his clean swords.

By the time the tiger-shoki turns his jadeite eyes to look into Kimi's own, Snowfall the Kitsune has vanished with a prayer. Off into the wind he flies. Back to Kyoto. Back to his own destiny wherever it may take him. There, on top of the Ministry of Metahuman Affairs, a tiger is staring into a dragon's eyes...

... and he is hungry for the hunt.

Last edited:
Tula walked closer to the others, paying no mind to the sudden summoning done by the estranged Kitsune.
She stashed her large rifle to her back and cracked her neck with one hand as she approached.
Her form was large, her back as straight as a plank and her hands held a bit lower than they would normally as if each weighed in steel.

"The sapling Wildhunt should start by figuring out when and where someone would have been able to easily--or at least easiest way, to switch it."

She wasn't affected by the failure of their job. In fact, she had a blazing fire in her eyes. Was it . . . Excitement? It's been so long since I felt this way. . .

"Seems like we have been blessed with an adventure, and a challenge."

Last edited:
The cyber ninja looks at these people, this team he is supposed to work with and decides to approach them, his combat subroutine now placed to be dormant. Replacing the used cartridge for a new he puts it into a compartment in his right leg as he takes out his tanto and pistol. This became a much more dangerous excursion. He looks to the old fox "How long has the sapling been taken without anyone noticing?"

Takuma looked at the rag tag team "I see our chances of retrieving it be less than 0.002% success rate"

Kimi is slightly put at ease when she hears that the Tree was not in the transport, but only slightly.

She first looks over at the newly arrived tiger spirit and lets out a wry smile. "Well, since you know Master Oran, I'll try to be on my best behavior with you until such time as we get to know one another better. Then we'll have to see how well we get along."

She looks around at the carnage and frowns. "Are there any survivors that need treatment? We can learn only so much from the dead; if there are any living, we can try to question them."

Ando looks up at the arrival of the tiger spirit and leaving of the fox spirit, the magic and wonder from the Empire always amazed him. He paused in his analysis of the fallen soldier to stand up.

He looks over to see Kimi, giving her a respeful and polite bow. "Sohei Kimi! It has been many years, I do not know if you remember me or not when I was stationed in Shiso, a lot has changed in those times, I am well...formerly Officer Ando...now Detective Ando. It is nice to see you again."

He glanced over to listen to Tula and Takuma...replying to the cyber-ninja. "There are many factors yet to be involved in this investigation yet, I would say your calculation is premature. There is a lot of evidence here that needs to be analyzed for clues."

He walked over to the Tiger Spirit Hongo. And gave another respectful bow. "Welcome mighty Hongo the Bright Storm of the Tora clan. I am sorry our meeting must occur in such dire circumstances. I am Detective Ando Oda of the New Republic. Over my years of service I have been blessed with many gifts." He glances at Kimi warmly before looking back up at the Tiger spirit. "Might I take a look at the fake branch? I have the ability to sense an objects history, its past handlers and the places it had travelled to. We may be able to determine who placed this fake to find the real one."

He looks to the old fox "How long has the sapling been taken without anyone noticing?"
GunMan2 GunMan2 Before Snowfall departs, he says, "I do not know. I only noticed about three minutes ago. Fare you well!" Then he departs.

* * *​

"The sapling Wildhunt should start by figuring out when and where someone would have been able to easily--or at least easiest way, to switch it."

She wasn't affected by the failure of their job. In fact, she had a blazing fire in her eyes. Was it . . . Excitement? It's been so long since I felt this way. . .

"Seems like we have been blessed with an adventure, and a challenge."
Kikimura Kikimura "Maybe," Hongo replies with a gruff snarl. "Maybe not. For all we know, that sapling is a decoy and the real thing is right under our feet inside of this building. But if not," he returns the look of her blazing fire with the jadeite lightning flare of his own, "then maybe a challenge it is." Hongo grins eagerly, his fangs showing.

He walked over to the Tiger Spirit Hongo. And gave another respectful bow. "Welcome mighty Hongo the Bright Storm of the Tora clan. I am sorry our meeting must occur in such dire circumstances. I am Detective Ando Oda of the New Republic. Over my years of service I have been blessed with many gifts." He glances at Kimi warmly before looking back up at the Tiger spirit. "Might I take a look at the fake branch? I have the ability to sense an objects history, its past handlers and the places it had travelled to. We may be able to determine who placed this fake to find the real one."
Sherwood Sherwood Eonivar Eonivar Psychie Psychie Looking down, Hongo studies this Japanese Detective Ando, his jadeite eyes giving him a slow once-over. "Detective Ando, huh?" The title seems to hold special meaning for the Tiger spirit. "I never saw the false tree. If Snowfall came from that vehicle," he indicates the battered vessel with a nod, "then this false tree should be inside. Maybe try your psychometry there while you still can?"

She first looks over at the newly arrived tiger spirit and lets out a wry smile. "Well, since you know Master Oran, I'll try to be on my best behavior with you until such time as we get to know one another better. Then we'll have to see how well we get along."

She looks around at the carnage and frowns. "Are there any survivors that need treatment? We can learn only so much from the dead; if there are any living, we can try to question them."
Hongo crosses his muscled arms over his brawny chest and nods at Kimi's first statement. It was fair one. It is her second that gets a small grin out of the Demon Queller. He didn't expect any survivors in a Mega-damage combat unless someone specifically pulled their punches. Human-style combat saw bruises and broken bones; Mega-damage combat like the kind he was used to saw giant gaping holes and bloody clouds of red mist. If anything, Hongo was a little sorry he had missed the fracas; a little violence in one's life was always a good thing - it kept one from getting soft.

Glancing down at the Mega-damage-blasted bodies of the Republic of Japan security force, Hongo licks his fangs. "Young dragoness, you might be surprised - not at what we can learn from the dead - but by what the dead... might be willing... to teach us." He glances about. "If any are still hanging around, that is." To Detective Ando, Hongo adds in his beastly voice. "Hey. Stick around a minute. You might find some of this... worthwhile."

(See OOC please.)

Taking a single deep breath, Hongo closes his eyes and places his hands together. Then, palms out, he lets the breath out while appearing to collect something invisible, intangible, yet always there. With a solemn expression, he bows in deep respect to the unseen... the once-here... the recently-departed. To no one in particular, Hongo growls with a keen look in his eye.

"Let's have a look-see followed by a talk, shall we?"

Last edited:
Over the course of the next several minutes, order slowly starts to take the place of chaos as fires are put out and the bodies are examined. Most of the bodies are mutilated by the effects of MDC missiles and energy weapons, but there is actually two of the attackers that are wounded but alive, one with a bloody stump where his arm used to be and deep in shock, and the other with bad burns and broken bones from getting shot, but thanks to the Juicer upgrade, he is still alive even with as bad as he's been hurt. Medics are being brought over to try and stabilize them even as the security guards are putting them into heavy restraints. If Kimi To wants to help, she has two different wounded men to treat.
Luckily, there are no wounded besides Kimi To herself, but the one plasma blast she took is already starting to heal up, thanks to her dragon nature.
Psychie Psychie

Hongo notices that he has several security guards keeping a close watch on him, not exactly aiming weapons at you, but still on edge since you are an unknown quantity in their midst that has not been explained to them, and while you are acting like you are on their side, you might still be a threat. Before you are able to take the steps to try and contact any ghosts that might still be in the area, you are approached by a tall woman in uniform. Waving the hovering security guards away, she says, "I was expecting a fox-spirit, not a tiger. In any case, I am Major Kelly Izumo, the field commander for the response team for the Ministry of Metahuman Affairs. Who are you, and what's your story? Are you supposed to be replacing the Kitsune in my team?"
Purr Purr

Does Ando head into the transport to try his psychometry on the false tree inside? The fire is almost completely extinguished, so there is no danger of the airship exploding anymore. You may be able to get some hint at the fate of the Millennium Tree sapling, assuming it was ever there at all.
Eonivar Eonivar

While this is going on, what is Tula doing? You have the ability to be able to psychically treat one of the two wounded prisoners, keeping them alive long enough to hopefully be able to question them directly. Or you can do something completely different. It is up to you.
Kikimura Kikimura

Fuchizaki is still in his SAMAS powered armor, currently standing guard over the area with the other five suits of powered armor, three of which are orbiting a few hundred feet above the rooftop while the other two are circling a few floors lower, making sure that there are not any additional threats heading in your direction while the Hiroshima Air Force are rapidly routing aircraft to the Ministry building. You are still on the rooftop as the security force moves into position around the place, and you can see Major Izumo, your new superior officer, starting to have a conversation with a sudden new arrival; a tiger spirit/man. Or something like that. There are a half dozen soldiers standing nearby, watching closely as she talks to the spirit. What are you doing at this point?
Steve Freeling Steve Freeling

Takuma is close to the stairwell as the two high officials are being escorted downstairs by a very tense human shield of guards around them. It would seem that the soldiers here are all aware that the two Ministers came very close to being killed on their watch, and they don't want to have that disaster on their watch, despite the vocal complaints from Prime Minister Xu as she keeps on saying that she wants to stay on the roof. Minister Feng is more compliant; at least, he's not arguing with the evacuation order as he's being frog-marched downstairs to a safe room. What are you doing at the moment?
GunMan2 GunMan2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back