• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Needful Things

sharlene79

There's no story about wishing that is not a cautionary tale. - Three Thousand Years of Longing

Prologue

Our group is a mix of students from UMN, as well as non-students who went to high school with some of the others, or got involved with them in some way. Some may simply not have had the grades or money. Or maybe they have shared hobbies like gaming. Most of the group are young men. (Not all though.)

The group was sitting around at the table when a debate arose as to who had a better chance of achieving carnal knowledge - with a girl (adult humor inserted here about various livestock - and mythological beasties) - before the end of the semester. Then someone decided there should be a pool. To the victor would go the spoils. Of course, they had to come up with rules - like proof of the deed. Rules such as “No copying Top Gun” were added because some couldn’t keep a tune.

The second topic of discussion was, of course, how things were going on the home front. You know, paying for college and rent, troubles with family, and getting passing grades.

Thirdly the topic shifted to the Deck of Many Things and Wishes.

Their server turned out to be Shae. When she showed up with yet another round of drink orders the group asked her what SHE would wish for if she had three wishes. Coyly she told them that nice tips were always appreciated. But one of them insisted on a straight answer.

“Truly? I cannot, for the life of me, summon up one eligible wish. And you're asking me for three? There's no story about wishing that is not a cautionary tale. None end happily. Not even the ones that are supposed to be jokes. I am sure you have noticed my appearance hints of where my origins were. I come from the land of the Djinn itself.

“No, I have all that I need. Yet I have heard parts of your conversations and it would seem to me that it is all of you who seek needful things. Mā hiya amnaytuk? What would YOU wish for? I know that most of you have heard rumors about me. The first challenge that you set before yourselves was … interesting. Yet, I suspect that not all of you took it seriously. So I shall move on past that. The second challenge is more to my interest. The answer is yes, I have pointed students where they could find the answers they sought. But remember my words about cautionary tales. Not all I helped sought the right answers, and found shortcuts that may be their undoing.

“The last challenge. Was that serious? I mean I know you spoke of a game. But are those truly your wishes? I will say again, mā hiya amnaytuk - what would you wish for? Of course, correct me if I am wrong, isn’t there usually a price for a wish? And rules or limits?”

sqAwx6RrlF9lR436jC6SBXeLVgYPBrfo0EmuvVNYHcqUbuSFMZnurg1P63PRgyUDm2vQRtn7xeqo_JHyeKYtnEfoHPy-bpk90pvbJ5CbOG28hp4C5XQqg6fX9xACg-tQSNv14r3FUng0dej3o3oBj78

Shae Nashwa Marwan
Shae works as a server at one of the high end bars in the area, the Middle East Club. She also works part of the time as a bartender. She is also known to work as a professional cage dancer. (The cage is for HER protection.)

She has also been seen on campus in the Archaeology building at UMN. There is no way that working at a nightclub pays for college tuition.

Shae has a minor reputation for dealing in hard to find things and information, in particular she has pointed a few students in the right direction in working on their term papers or maybe finding a much needed deal to fix a car, or finding a job. She always cautions anyone who asks for anything to “be careful what you wish for.”

Plot
The plot here is really very simple. Shae can grant wishes. But those wishes may come at a price. She has a very, VERY strong moral fiber. Of course, HER idea of ethics might not be contemporary. Punishing someone by turning him into a mouse and turning them loose in a field is well within her moral boundaries. So is enslaving someone who has offended her greatly enough. (Don’t cut her off in traffic? LOL.)

Given the nature of the plot, the better developed your character’s backstory is at the start, the better you will be able to guide your personal plot.

One more thought is that Shae might be interested in joining the gaming group itself. (Ever hear of the group Critical Role?)

Character Sheets
Your character will be the students. You may also add in secondary characters later that are associated or related to your main character.

I am not picky about format. Try not to get crazy with pics. They slow down my internet badly. One image, not an animated gif. I am really more interested in character skills and issues in life.

Decent literacy, spelling and grammar. (I am NOT demanding Advanced. Honestly, I lack the time and energy to manage that myself.)
I typically manage about a page per post. (I expect at least half that from others in a group RP.)
Please do not just regurgitate others’ posts. (I don’t like big quotes. This should read almost like a book.)
Please allow a little time for others to post.
Please don’t hold up the RP by not posting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back