• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Nine: Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luna does her best to hide her amusement at Havoc's reaction, but fails miserably.  "I am sorry.  Perhaps you could try again, and this time, I promise to be scared?"

Luna, to her credit, sincerely got Havoc's undivided attention when she made her offer.  The unruly Vorgore thought and thought, his suspicions battling against the chance at unbridled glee.  But would the human female really go about acting scared?  Or was it just another chance at making fun?  Surely a fellow fire-creature like Luna would be good for her word, and yet, Havoc time with adventurers told him that they were an unpredictable lot at best.

And so, he found his gaze slowly turning toward the one person in all Sharseya, in all the great and wide universe, that he trusted more than any other - Shalin.  The Silent Sorcerer seemed to be reading his thoughts as true familiars oft' do.  Havoc saw Shalin nodding and smiling as if to say, "Trust Luna!"  

Havoc gave a small, bestial whine as if to reply, "You think so?"

Shalin nodded again.

Havoc's expression turned to one of maniacal glee.  He prepared himself.  He took a deep breath, pulled his claws before his face and watched as each of those ebony piercers lit to orange crackling flame, then, with his best scary-face (honestly, the nightmares of children and adults alike from which even undead would flee out of their graves), Havoc turned toward Luna Callen and gave such a frightful roar as to fill the Grand Pool with its ferocity.  A wave of air and heat (but not fire) blasted out of his lungs as to cause Luna's robes to fly backwards as if her clothing itself wanted to flee out of the room and leave her there.

"BOOOOO!!"

"EYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Sparkle flinched and recoiled.  Instantly, each of her twenty talons instinctively latched onto Luna's shoulder.  Surely, the she-dragon thought, if Pecker were here, he would laughing his little birdy-face off at the horrified expression she now wore.  But who could blame her?  That terrible visage was honestly the last sight many a creature had ever seen before Havoc had killed them.  

Havoc then peered at Luna with the utmost interest.  But how did Luna react?

"Oh, I'm sorry everyone!"  Bria fretted.  "I tried to warn you that Havoc was just inside, but I got all distracted!"  She glanced at Otiorin with a hint of a smile.

"Everyone?" she addressed those who were not outside, "This is Nivirea!  She's a fey-blooded sorceress!  And she...   she..."  The peaceful monk looked this way and that.  "Oh!  Where did she go?"  

Given the angles of things, Nivirea having moved to the edge of the spectacular Grand Pool, was now on the other side of the towering Vorgore and out of Bria's line of sight.  The Meadowsweets, for the moment, were too busy shaking and hugging in each other in outright fear at Havoc's sudden and violent display.

"Ooooh!" their teeth chattered.  Bonny cried, "I think even the marshmallows are frightened!"  Looking at the sticks their marshmallows were suspended on, one could easily see them shaking because the sticks were in the hands of two fearful hobbits.

As the group took turns clambering up the front of the wagon and heading through the curtain of mist in the entrance, he touched Shalin and Saberfang lightly on the shoulder, and said quietly, "I'd like to talk to you both later, when things have settled. It's not urgent, though." Not urgent, no, but an unusual gravity was in his expression as he spoke.

Shalin and Melshaef enjoyed the interaction between Havoc and Luna, but both took the time to bring themselves away from the party. There, in a far corner of the Grand Pool room, Shalin loosed a crackling bolt of white lightning, just bright enough to get Bren's attention. There, they conversed and awaited Bren's pleasure.

(Dungeon Master note for Kaerri. If Bren chooses this time to approach them, read the spoiler below. If not, skip the spoiler, and the two of them will continue on with what they were doing).

Shalin and Melshaef watched Bren approach with curiosity and yet, they were curious creatures too - two vastly different people from two vastly different realms. Yet, here they were, bonded for many of the same reasons - family, friends, future. Mamapaw towered over Shalin as they spoke. The Bast-born noticed an unclean spot of fur on her left shoulder. Nonchalantly, she began licking the spot clean with her big pink sandpaper-like tongue. Meanwhile, Shalin scribed arcane-born letters of gold and red into the air as easily as a young adult might use a readied quill on a roll of paper. He did this with a beautiful, subconscious grace that only children of Corellon Larethian possess.

Once Bren was with them, Mamapaw watched him with her blood-red eyes. Her words were soft as not to be overheard by the others. "What brings you to call upon us, Brendoran?" Shalin also gave Bren his utmost attention.

Last edited:
When Havoc let out his 'boo', Luna lets out a yelp of fear and puts her hand to her head as she faints to the floor. A close look will reveal that her sides are shaking as she fights to hold in her giggles. She lies there for a minute before she 'wakes up' again. "Oh, my! How terrifying!" 

HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 4:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects: Mage Armor, Shield

Otiorin blinked in surprise at Havoc's presence within the pool room, but his reaction was not so pronounced at Nivirea's. He chuckled at the monstrous creature's pouting and laughed aloud at Luna allowing him to 'scare' her once again.

He called out over the clamour of voices, "Stewart, be a good fellow and scour the wine cellar. Pick out a wine that speaks of northern climes and deep forests, something that would appeal to a ranger. For while we have gained Nivirea in our happy company for what we hope will be a fair long time, we have also bid a fond fare-thee-well to our dear wolf, Wolf. He goes I know not where with his sire on a quest to determine the fate of his brother long ago lost and to recover him, or avenge him if Fortune favoured him ill."

Unaware as to whether the Wanderers' steward was seeking out a wine that met the request best, or indeed if he were even present, Otiorin took a hold of Bria and urgently but gently pulled her aside, away from the others. Once he'd gotten them some space, he turned to regard her face.

"Bria, despite everything that I find discreditable about myself.", he started, pressing a finger to her lips in the knowledge that she would likely object to his opening words, "Despite all the ill my Elven kin, and indeed many others, heap at my door, I have never known happiness quite like that I feel when I am near to you. All I thought of while I was away with the others that short time was you and how you were faring. You are ever in my mind when we are distant, and you fulfill my every desire when we are close. I see you in my dreams, I smell your scent on the wind and my skin carries the memory of your touch always. I want us to have a lifetime together, forsaking all others. I want to aid you in your trials, and I would gladly have you share in mine. I want... you."

He sighed deeply and, raising her hand to his lips, gently kissed her soft skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shalin and Melshaef enjoyed the interaction between Havoc and Luna, but both took the time to bring themselves away from the party.  There, in a far corner of the Grand Pool room, Shalin loosed a crackling bolt of white lightning, just bright enough to get Bren's attention.  There, they conversed and awaited Bren's pleasure.  

(Dungeon Master note for Kaerri.  If Bren chooses this time to approach them, read the spoiler below.  If not, skip the spoiler, and the two of them will continue on with what they were doing).

Shalin and Melshaef watched Bren approach with curiosity and yet, they were curious creatures too - two vastly different people from two vastly different realms.  Yet, here they were, bonded for many of the same reasons - family, friends, future.  Mamapaw towered over Shalin as they spoke.  The Bast-born noticed an unclean spot of fur on her left shoulder.  Nonchalantly, she began licking the spot clean with her big pink sandpaper-like tongue.  Meanwhile, Shalin scribed arcane-born letters of gold and red into the air as easily as a young adult might use a readied quill on a roll of paper.  He did this with a beautiful, subconscious grace that only children of Corellon Larethian possess.

Once Bren was with them, Mamapaw watched him with her blood-red eyes.  Her words were soft as not to be overheard by the others.  "What brings you to call upon us, Brendoran?"  Shalin also gave Bren his utmost attention.

Bren glanced around, but everyone else seemed to be settling in or in private conversations of their own.  It did seem a good time to talk, and so he walked over to the far corner where Shalin and Melshaef waited.  "Thank you both.  I ... I find myself at a crossroads, and while I think I know my path, I'd like your opinions on it.  Shalin, you are my dearest friend, and I couldn't ask for a better.  Lady Saberfang, you are the nearest to a spiritual advisor I have just now."  He took a deep breath and let it out slowly before continuing.  "Something your friend Little Cub said has set me to considering something I hadn't thought seriously about before."  He glanced at Shalin and smiled wryly.  "There have been jokes and teasing about my becoming a paladin, but I never thought myself worthy, or something.  But now I have been thinking of it, thanks to her."  He looked them both in the eyes by turns.  "I've been thinking... and I am becoming more sure the more I think.  I want to ask Mielikki if I may serve as one of her paladins."  He paused, then realized he can't think of anything else to say, and waited for their reactions.

When Havoc let out his 'boo', Luna lets out a yelp of fear and puts her hand to her head as she faints to the floor. A close look will reveal that her sides are shaking as she fights to hold in her giggles. She lies there for a minute before she 'wakes up' again. "Oh, my! How terrifying!" 

This got the biggest, most playful shriek the Wayward Wanderers had ever heard out of Havoc (besides Bren)!  

"EEEEEHHHEEHEEHEEEE!!" he cried gleefully.  Just like that, Havoc expressed great appreciation for the Fire Mage.  Without warning and using his huge size and great reach, he swiftly scooped Luna up* into an appreciative cuddle before setting her down beside the Meadowsweets.  The hobbits, being hobbits, cheered at their new company and eagerly handed her and Sparkle each a marshmallow-laden twig with which to roast marshmallows on.  Havoc giggled on like a giddy little schoolboy all because of Luna's terrific performance.  Sparkle just sat there accepting the twig and shivering in shock having just suddenly been grabbed by a party-killing monster like Havoc.

* (Dungeon Master note for Sherwood)

Hey bud!  Unless you insist, I am not going to bother rolling a wrestling check between a huge-sized, incredibly-strong Vorgore and the medium-sized, wizardly Luna.  Even if Luna spent the Action Point (which I cannot recommend), the chances of a wizardess beating a Vorgore in a wrestling-based check, that to be fair, likely caught Luna by surprise, are slim at best.  But again, I'll roll it if you want Luna to attempt to not get grabbed by him.  It's your call!  =)

Unaware as to whether the Wanderers' steward was seeking out a wine that met the request best...

Otiorin did not spy the aged monster-studying scholar in the Grand Pool, though it was certainly possible he was in the great room somewhere.

Otiorin took a hold of Bria and urgently but gently pulled her aside, away from the others. Once he'd gotten them some space, he turned to regard her face.

The closest and likely quietest spot for this meeting was beyond one of the two doors leading into the halls that contained the Wayward Wanderers' rooms.  This hallway was where this conversation took place for it was near and they were alone.  If there were another creature nearby, Otiorin's sharp senses did not detect it.

"Bria, despite everything that I find discreditable about myself.", he started, pressing a finger to her lips in the knowledge that she would likely object to his opening words...

Having been silenced so by that very same finger before, Bria simply looked into Otiorin's eyes and listened.  She seemed to enjoy watching him express himself.

I want us to have a lifetime together, forsaking all others. I want to aid you in your trials, and I would gladly have you share in mine. I want... you."

He sighed deeply and, raising her hand to his lips, gently kissed her soft skin.

She giggled with blushing cheeks.  "Oh my!  You rascal!"  But her hand remained in his.  She thought but a moment, considering deeply as she did with all truly important matters.  Then she looked into his eyes with her own compassionate brown-eyed gaze.  

Once she found the words, she replied in the way of her own people, the Ko.  "Oti, there are three basic levels of love among the People of the Phoenix Mountain."  She counted them off on her fingers.  "There are heart-bonded, whom Outsiders would probably call 'lovers.'  Then there are life-bonded, whom your human ancestors would probably call 'married.'  Finally, there are the soul-bonded, whose love transcends physical and mortal desires to rise beyond the grasp of death.  I don't know if Outsiders have an equivalent.  Nearly always, our romantic relationships rise up along these three steps.

"Though there is a lot we don't yet know about each other, I feel...  ignited when we're together.  I genuinely admire you.  I feel a strong sense of trust, companionship, and warm desire to be with you.  You make me feel protected and needed.  I like it when you are vulnerable with me.  Like this.  So... I'd like to be heart-bonded with you."  Bria smiled at Otiorin dearly.  There was the unmistakable hint of loving passion behind the look she gave him.

"For me...  being heart-bonded means I'll refuse any other romantic offers I receive, I won't be sharing myself intimately with any other, and that I'll want you as long as you want me.  It means that our love will be like a friendship caught on fire.  These aren't promises so much as they are things you can come to readily expect from me."  

Bria took his arms and wrapped herself in them, her head pressing against the muscles of his chest.  She looked up.  "I don't know where such a blaze will lead us in the future, but..." she kissed him on his mouth in such a way it made his whole body warm, "... I'd like to find out.

"Would you like to be heart-bonded with me, Oti?"

Bren glanced around, but everyone else seemed to be settling in or in private conversations of their own.  It did seem a good time to talk, and so he walked over to the far corner where Shalin and Melshaef waited.  "Thank you both.  I ... I find myself at a crossroads, and while I think I know my path, I'd like your opinions on it.  Shalin, you are my dearest friend, and I couldn't ask for a better.

Shalin signed with a mirthful grin.  "Perhaps this comes from all of our living and dying and living again together over the years?"

Lady Saberfang, you are the nearest to a spiritual advisor I have just now."  He took a deep breath and let it out slowly before continuing.  "Something your friend Little Cub said has set me to considering something I hadn't thought seriously about before."

"Bastet's bones and Mielikki's milk!  What has that wild little wolfling done now?" she blurted.

"There have been jokes and teasing about my becoming a paladin, but I never thought myself worthy, or something.  But now I have been thinking of it, thanks to her."  He looked them both in the eyes by turns.  "I've been thinking... and I am becoming more sure the more I think.  I want to ask Mielikki if I may serve as one of her paladins."  He paused, then realized he can't think of anything else to say, and waited for their reactions.

Shalin was the first to reply.  With a serious expression, he scribed his gracefully-writ words into the air where only the three of them could read them.  "Paladins of the Elven gods walk centuries long paths to both prove and maintain their worthiness to Corellon Larethian and his pantheon; that you have not thought yourself worthy of Mielikki, whom we call Ehlonna, is in itself a very paladin-like quality.  Long have you possessed it.  Longer still have you denied it."  

Shalin's lightning-lit words crackled with intensity.  "Dear Bren, yours is the heart of a paladin!  Ever has this been true.  Need I remind you of your very life-sacrifice to the Mistress of the Forest?  How could you have done this without the deepest of loves for the evergreen Goddess of Nature?  What of your years of selfless deeds toward the innocent and defenseless?"  Shalin's eyes blazed.  "Friend-of-friends, whether you choose the path of the holy or not, you will possess the Heart of Bren the Good into your final days and beyond."

Mamapaw read these powerful words, brought up from the deepest wells of friendships, and hesitated.  Turning to Shalin with raised, helpless paws, she asked in mock-anger, "Now what in the sands am I supposed to say that will top your performance, I ask you?"  

Shalin put his hand over his mouth in an expression of lighthearted apology.  This, Mamapaw waved off easily as she searched for her own thoughts.  In many ways, these past few days had been a crossroads for the Wayward Wanderers - now was yet another.

"Hmph," she sniffed.  "And these are the days when I thought Melshaef of the Many Forms would die and become a memory.  Yet even now, Mielikki reminds me of her great need.  And how can I refuse her?"

Melshaef looked to Bren.  Gone were the doubting glances of Powerpaw's mother replaced by a bold stare that could have given a Bloodland minotaur pause, so great was their resolve.  "Brendoran Killaneson Sarabina.  Lord Sarabina.  If you are asking my permission to seek out the Forest Mother's desires, then you have it.  Otherwise, what is stopping you?  Do remember - you now share words with a mother who crossed wide lands and waters to unfamiliar skies and cultures Sharseya over to find her own son.  What other reply can I give but - do as your soul requires!

"Be it remembered that Bountiful Bastet did create her very first Felane, the bravest, purriest Felonius the First - a paladin of Bastet!  Long are his deeds!  Mighty are his victories!  Many are the evildoers his arm and faith has sent screaming to Anubis's side!  He is the chieftain of our people, our shining example of Bastet's battle against hated Set and his foul serpents!  Such is the power of a paladin's heart!"  She spat after speaking that hated name.  

"If you wish to become such an arm against Mielikki's foes, I would say do so!  If it pleases you, friend-of-my-son and leader, I will offer to pray with you for Her will.  Between us, we might know her wishes.  Have no doubt that She shall hear us, for her wounding by Erythnul's treachery and Loviatar's deceit has been undone.  Now, perhaps, she might wish to return the favor with a mighty soul as yours bearing Her name in a holy light.  But now I prattle on and on as if preaching..."  Melshaef took a deep breath.  Then she regarded Bren with patience and the cool calm of an autumn breeze.

"What road would you travel, Brendoran?  What songs might you sing to your little ones when perhaps, years from now, you become a parent as I have?"

To this, Shalin could only nod in complete agreement.  For in the Silent Sorcerer's mind, his own words had been complimented well by the druidess's own - each equal in heartfelt reply to Bren's queries.  Together, they waited for the words from Bren's own heart to come forth.

When Havoc picks her up, Luna lets out a startled "Eeep!" and starts to beat her tiny hands on the massive creature's hide, not doing any real damage.  "Put me down, you big lug!  This is hardly dignified behavior for a wizard to have to endure!  Humph!"  Once back on her feet, she brushes out the wrinkles in her robes and shoots a evil glare at the massive monster, then finally relents and gives him a smile.  "Havoc, you are a silly boy, you know that?"

Now back on her feet, she looks around to see where Nivirea has gone to, and upon seeing her at the edge of the pool, she walks over.  "We have swimsuits in one of the rooms if you'd like to take a dip.  Or, you can join me for a quick tour of the Adventurers Wagon, as we have come to call our home here."

Cantrips: Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Read Magic

1 - Shield, Magic Missile x2, Unseen Servant, Ear Piercing Scream

2 - Scorching Ray x3, Protection From Arrows

3 - Haste, Fireball, Displacement, Lightning Bolt

4 - Ball Lightning x2, Shout

Extended Mage Armor in effect until 1 am

.:|Nivirea - The Sorceress|:.

Nivirea's eyes sparked with interest at the prospect of a swim. "Enticing." she said, looking back at the crystal clear water for a brief moment. "But I should like to get settled in first. Would there happen to be a spare room in this wagon of yours?"

Luna nods.  "I'm sure I can find something suitable for you to settle down in.  Come and let me give you the grand tour.  My personal favorite room is the library, as you will soon see why."

"In that case, lead on." she replied, picking up her backpack that she'd lowered by the side of the pool and standing ready to follow Luna.

Bren Sarabina

Standard AC: 27

Fort save: +12

Ref save: +8

Will save: +4

Current action points: 9

Current HP: 87/87

Status effects: none

Powerpaw's tower shield +1

(-2 to attack rolls)

Spell: Speak with Animals

Speech color, for reference

Also #3399ff

Shalin was the first to reply.  With a serious expression, he scribed his gracefully-writ words into the air where only the three of them could read them.  "Paladins of the Elven gods walk centuries long paths to both prove and maintain their worthiness to Corellon Larethian and his pantheon; that you have not thought yourself worthy of Mielikki, whom we call Ehlonna, is in itself a very paladin-like quality.  Long have you possessed it.  Longer still have you denied it."  

Shalin's lightning-lit words crackled with intensity.  "Dear Bren, yours is the heart of a paladin!  Ever has this been true.  Need I remind you of your very life-sacrifice to the Mistress of the Forest?  How could you have done this without the deepest of loves for the evergreen Goddess of Nature?  What of your years of selfless deeds toward the innocent and defenseless?"  Shalin's eyes blazed.  "Friend-of-friends, whether you choose the path of the holy or not, you will possess the Heart of Bren the Good into your final days and beyond."

Bren felt a blush come over his cheeks, but he nodded acceptance of his friend's words.

"If you wish to become such an arm against Mielikki's foes, I would say do so!  If it pleases you, friend-of-my-son and leader, I will offer to pray with you for Her will.  Between us, we might know her wishes.  Have no doubt that She shall hear us, for her wounding by Erythnul's treachery and Loviatar's deceit has been undone.  Now, perhaps, she might wish to return the favor with a mighty soul as yours bearing Her name in a holy light.  But now I prattle on and on as if preaching..."  Melshaef took a deep breath.  Then she regarded Bren with patience and the cool calm of an autumn breeze.

"What road would you travel, Brendoran?  What songs might you sing to your little ones when perhaps, years from now, you become a parent as I have?"

He smiled.  "I would like that.  Thank you both, you have lessened my doubts."  He glanced around the room to see what the others were up to, and noted the disappearance of some and the interactions of others.  "Now would seem to be a good time, everyone looks occupied in one way or another.  I had thought to talk more with Nivirea, but it looks like Luna's got that covered for now, and we can all gather for a chat afterwards.  Does that sound good or did you have other plans for right now?"

He smiled.  "I would like that.  Thank you both, you have lessened my doubts."  He glanced around the room to see what the others were up to, and noted the disappearance of some and the interactions of others.  "Now would seem to be a good time, everyone looks occupied in one way or another.  I had thought to talk more with Nivirea, but it looks like Luna's got that covered for now, and we can all gather for a chat afterwards.  Does that sound good or did you have other plans for right now?"

With a pointed finger, Shalin indicated to Luna and Nivirea.  He scribed to Bren with a curious expression. "Twould seem your teammate is giving a tour of this castle-on-wheels.  Would that we had this to roll around the realms with during our time with the Light in the Dark!  It seems I best strike while the iron is hot if I am to learn more."  Shalin clapped Bren on the shoulder.  The Silent Sorcerer then moved to join two of his fellow arcanists.

With a graceful bow, Shalin greeted Luna and Nivirea.  He lifted one hand.  His golden words crackled through the air.  "If you are granting tours of this magnificent multi-dimensional creation, might I partake in the pleasure of your companies and leave enlightened?"

Melshaef watched him go.  "Brendoran, I remind you that before I leave this area, I must reunite with my refugees.  Their need is great as is mine.  I would be fine and swift if I traveled on my own.  I could be back before supper."  She nodded to him, her whiskers, tail, and eyes drooped in the respectful manner of one showing proper cat-like manner towards a superior.  "May I have your leave to do so?"  Melshaef readied her spear and shield and looked toward the door with longing.

It was then, as Shalin was expressing himself with Luna and Nivirea that a pair of marshmallow-nomming hobbits looked over.  Their faces turned to frowns as they started a fuss loud enough for Luna to hear.  Whittle folded her arms.  "And what's all this?  Luna-dearie!  After all the fine meals we've prepared for you, you're not going to introduce us to your new friends?  An' Elves by the looks of them!"

"No me love," Bonny replied.  "That one..." he peered curiously at Nivirea.  "I think she may be half-elven!  Look at the curves in her face!  And those eyes!  Think she's related to our suave Otiorin?"

Havoc leaned down and wagged one black claw.  "Nnnno.  Ish not half-elf or elf.  Shmell is wrong."

"Not Elvish?!"  The Meadowsweets said together as they shared a look of shock.  "Then what is she?" Whittle wondered.

"We can't just sit here!  We have to find out!" Bonny exclaimed.

"Right!"

Up the two of them hopped.  With sweets at the ready, they came running across the smooth wood floors of the beautiful Grand Pool until they too reached Nivirea's side.  Bonny waved, offering a stick of freshly-roasted marshmallows.

Behind them, his toes extinguished lest he light the floor in flame, the Vorgore lumbered.  As he did, Nivirea remembered the tales, for nearly everyone in Summerset knew of the great demonic beasts that lived only for war.  Vorgores, when in packs, had long-rivalled the very dragons of the realms in their tales of destruction and mystery.  Like the graceful Unicorn or the mighty Hippogriff, the Vorgore was long a legend in Averlund.  That one approached her now, seemingly tame (if such a thing were indeed possible), was a tale in itself.  Huge, with charcoal-black skin, beastly muscles, and sharp claws and teeth, this one was every bit the legend of its kind.  This Vorgore paused only to reach down to the blond-haired Gray Elf near Luna. In the same moment, the elf reached up.  Together, hand in claw, they seemed to share a special bond of friendship, for they seemed more whole now that they were together.

Yet the hobbits treated him as if he, too, were a new guest and future friend, if he were not one now.  "And you?" Whittle prodded Shalin in the manner of her hole-dwelling people.  "What are ye for?  Makin' all friendly with our Brendoran?"

In reply, he scribed.  "I am Shalin Riversbane, a sorcerer.  Bren is part of my heart.  Those who have gained his good graces have also gained mine."

"Ooh!  Look at him all writin' in the air!" Bonny nodded.  "Pleased to meet you, Master Elf!"  Then once again, they turned to Nivirea.

The little lady dressed in her farmer's clothes curtsied beside her man who was dressed similarly.  "This is me hubby an' love, Mister Bonabin Meadowsweet..."

"Oh, don't be so formal!  Call me Bonny, my dear!"

"...an' I'm Whittle!  We come from Highwind where we long to return to our Seven Little Stars!  Who be ye and what might you tell us about yourself?  Don't be shy now!"  The hobbits looked up to Nivirea with wonder and affection, for surely Nivirea was another great adventurer with many tales to tell over hot fires and good food.  

Meanwhile, Havoc looked down and gazed at Nivirea with the most unearthly gaze; the Vorgore was openly studying her, one claw tapping his lips. 

HP: 56

Spells per day(1st:2nd)/remaining(1st:2nd): 4:3

Spells available: Daze, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Open/Close, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Gravity Bow, Shield, Summon Monster 1, Mage Armor, Ice Slick

Active effects:

Otiorin listened to Bria's words with an intense expression on his face. His breathing slowed as he absorbed every word and nuance of her expressions. 'Heart-bonded', to be like lovers in 'Outsider' parlance. And from there? Perhaps more? It was not, like she said, a promise. Promises were fragile things, like fine porcelain, easily broken in the wrong circumstances. This was an expectation, a guarantee of fidelity and singleness of want or need that only he could fulfill. And he only had to answer.

He opened his mouth to respond.

Memories. Remembrances of past loves drifted into his mind. The first was Nel'shandra Goldenhair. She had been a pure-blooded Elf back home, so young but so mature. He had poured his heart out to her in poetry that had taken him almost a fortnight of diligent writing to accomplish. She had listened to his words as they flowed from his trembling lips, she had smiled and laughed. The delighted flash of her green eyes had hardened until he realized the smile had no warmth to it and the laughter was not of joy, but of mockery. She took time in dismantling his poem in the most brutal terms. She mocked his use of descriptive language, derided his verse structure and savaged him for his temerity in even thinking he was worthy to even sit with a real Elf and spout such garbage. IT had been too much for his ten-year old's heart to bear and he had fled, the sound of her beautiful voice cackling maliciously in his wake.

Tamara, whose last name he'd never known. She had been a guard for that first caravan that had carried him from his Elven home to the first human settlement he'd ever encountered. She had told him tales of the distant lands she had seen, of strange beasts that lived in the forests and legends that had been passed down through the ages. He had become close to her, sharing her bedroll, her warmth, her most intimate of moments. And he was there when she passed away, a bandit's arrow transfixing her throat. Even as her life slipped away, the caravan's healer too far away and too busy with other critically wounded guards to hear Otiorin's howls of anguish. He cradled her head in his lap as she gurgled and coughed her last faltering breaths. She had reached up and wiped the tears that fell from his eyes, smiling as she touched her fingertips to her blood-spattered lips. "Remember me, my Elf lord, and see my spirit to Grace Eternal.", she had mouthed, her throat too damaged to give sound to the words, but his heart heard each of them and caught them up in his soul.

Nalta Sorrel, in the town he'd settled down as a cat burglar in. She had been enamored by his lithe movements and dangerous good looks. The fact that he was also able to steal fortunes in a single night had also been wildly attractive to her. They had been very intimate, and it was that very intimacy that had almost been his downfall. Little did he know that while Nalta had been sharing his bed, she had also been sharing the bed with the captain of the town's watch and she was seeing which of the two of them would best suit her need to live comfortably and affluently. The captain won out and Nalta had gleefully sold Otiorin out, tricking him into a trap from which he narrowly escaped with his life. That had been the trigger to leave the comfort of town life and go adventuring.

He sighed, the weight of memories crushing him inside. The crumpling of his heart allowed the old voices to come rushing in. You aren't good enough for so pure-hearted a woman as her. A thief, a liar, a conman, a backstabber. There's nothing good in you. You'll ruin it, like you ruin everything else. You'll get bored, you'll be unfaithful, you'll take advantage of her good nature and you'll break her heart. You're an unworthy bastard. You're a disappointment to your father, your mother, your grandfather and your great-grandmother. You'd probably be a disappointment to Charmsring too. One look at you, a good look into your innermost self and he'd freeze you to the core then bite you in half. Then he'd spit what he bit off out, to get rid of the rotten taste of you. He felt his knees buckle slightly under his mental onslaught and braced his back against the smoothly-polished wooden wall behind him. Tears rose unbidden to his eyes and he clenched his teeth. He looked into her eyes and saw she was watching him with the intensity he'd originally been watching her, only her expression was also one of deep concern. What was she thinking? Had he given her the impression that he suddenly didn't want that kind of relationship? Was she upset? Had he already screwed everything up? He straightened his back and gripped her hands, pulling them close to his chest.

"I want everything you are willing to share with me. For forever."

Luna smacks herself in the forehead with the palm of her hand.  "Shows you how absent minded I can be, forgetting to introduce our guest to everyone.  Please forgive my bad manners, my friends.  Allow me to step back and give our new friend a chance to properly introduce herself."  She motions for Nivirea to take the center of the stage. 

As she does so, she can see the love that Shalin and Havoc have for each other, and  it makes her think of the close relationship that she has with her own dear friend Sparkle.  Luna reaches up with a hand and gently strokes the neck ridges of the pseudo dragon right where she knows that Sparkle likes the best. 

While she waits for the Sorceress to speak, she causally walks over to Shalin.  "Master Shalin, may I ask you just how you managed to have a Vorgore as a familiar?  That must be a story for the books!"

"I am Nivirea." she answered, not shy in the least. In fact, it was without a hint of hesitation that she'd given her name, loud and clear, as if by itself it was a matter of some pride. Still, she looked down at the two bright hobbits without truly looking down at them. Neither in her eyes nor her voice was there any trace of the hint of arrogance that was usually to be found. From the polite smile that she wore, she actually seemed to appreciate their sudden company. "A traveler and a seeker. Áthas orm bualadh leat.1" She gave the hobbits a very graceful bow; her right arm folded against her heart while her left arm trailed outstretched just off her hip. It was just deep enough to send a couple of long, black tresses of her hair out of place and into her face, which she promptly remedied as soon as she stood straight again.

Then she nodded approvingly at Shalin, whose floating golden writing she still seemed to take in with all the fascination and interest of a child, despite having seen it before and being a far cry from a stranger to sorcery. Every time he scribed she would look back and forth between his face and his words, looking at least a tiny bit pleased at the gleaming display. Even without saying it, it was clear that she was glad to have him come along for the tour of the wagon.

Unlike Havoc, whom she all but outright frowned at when he approached in the background. She identified him as Vorgore, of course, in the aftermath of her initial eek-a-demon! reaction, which ironically turned out spot on. She'd been ignoring him in favor of Shalin and the hobbits, but that was before he began to openly ogle her. A tiny spark seemed to go off in the depths of her green eyes and she returned the stare defiantly, as absurd as it must have appeared for someone of her size to be challenging a towering demonic beast. Dauntless as she was though, before long she looked back towards Shalin and asked, with her features only somewhat softer and an outstandingly casual tone of voice in contrast: "I suppose your pet is coming along with us?"

And there was the original Nivirea that Otiorin and the others had first met, in all or at least a good deal of, her usual haughty glory.

Translation from Sylvan

1 "Pleasure to meet you."

Bren Sarabina
Standard AC: 27
Fort save: +12
Ref save: +8
Will save: +4
Current action points: 9
Current HP: 87/87
Status effects: none
Powerpaw's tower shield +1 (-2 to attack rolls)
Spell: Speak with Animals
Speech color, for reference
Also #3399ff

With a pointed finger, Shalin indicated to Luna and Nivirea. He scribed to Bren with a curious expression. "Twould seem your teammate is giving a tour of this castle-on-wheels. Would that we had this to roll around the realms with during our time with the Light in the Dark! It seems I best strike while the iron is hot if I am to learn more." Shalin clapped Bren on the shoulder. The Silent Sorcerer then moved to join two of his fellow arcanists.
Bren smiled and nodded. "Enjoy the tour, my friend."

Melshaef watched him go. "Brendoran, I remind you that before I leave this area, I must reunite with my refugees. Their need is great as is mine. I would be fine and swift if I traveled on my own. I could be back before supper." She nodded to him, her whiskers, tail, and eyes drooped in the respectful manner of one showing proper cat-like manner towards a superior. "May I have your leave to do so?" Melshaef readied her spear and shield and looked toward the door with longing.
"Yes, of course." Bren nodded, but a concerned expression came over his face. "Are you sure you wish to go alone? I'd hate for anything to happen to you or to them if we could prevent it."

Before taking the others on a walk through of the Wagon, Luna walks over to Bren and quietly whispers to him, "Other than our personal rooms, are there any places in the Wagon you would prefer our guests not see? Personally, I do not believe that there are any secrets in here that we need to hide, but I will defer to your will in this."

Bren smiled and shook his head. Also whispering, he replied, "I don't think there are either. Thank you for asking! I'd be interested in your opinion of Nivirea, after. She seems nice enough, but we really know almost nothing about her."

"Are you sure you wish to go alone? I'd hate for anything to happen to you or to them if we could prevent it."

Bren's words seemed to bring warmth to the motherly Felane, for Melshaef slowly and calmly blinked her eyes to Bren in the manner that cats do when they completely trust the one they are interacting with. "Were this your golden, spire-topped city of Summerset or the high, crowning mountain that Highwind sits upon, then I would not wish to go by myself. But in Shandra's Evergreen, where Mielikki has ruled since before either realm began, Melshaef of the Many Forms is swiftest alone."

She sniffed. "As for the survivors of the Three Rings... the worst has already happened to them." Melshaef revealed the ten shining orbs that held the souls of the dead whom Glider recovered. "All this druidess can do now is see them safe and provided for." Her large bag of food ready, she glanced down at Bren for his answer.

While she waits for the Sorceress to speak, she causally walks over to Shalin. "Master Shalin, may I ask you just how you managed to have a Vorgore as a familiar? That must be a story for the books!"

Dauntless as she was though, before long she looked back towards Shalin and asked, with her features only somewhat softer and an outstandingly casual tone of voice in contrast: "I suppose your pet is coming along with us?"

The Silent Sorcerer shook his head at Nivirea. "He is neither pet nor demon, but one of my closest friends"

Shalin smiled sheepishly at Luna's request until Havoc nudged him with a gentle claw. The vorgore turned and grinned to each of you.

In his broken Common, he indicated Shalin and said, "He... beat me."

(Dungeon Master note for all)
The following happened in-game during one of our table-top sessions. In other words, this history is something real players in Sharseya put together and made happen, thus it is history in Sharseya.

Shalin's gaze drifted past everyone present as he looked into memories back. He scribed, "It is a long tale in the telling; suffice to say that Havoc uses this," he indicated his legendary Staff of the Magi, "as a vessel of sorts, and as such, he can be 'carried' inside of it. No arcanist, regardless of lineage or cause, can wield this particular Staff of the Magi without Havoc's approval - for the arcanist in question must first defeat him in solo combat...

"This was told to me by my bright-hearted friends and adventurers in The Last Resort. They had just returned from an impossible foray into the ancient and storied lands of the Norse gods - Asgard. There, they aided Balder the Brave and Thor, son of Odin, and his sons. But before those adventures, The Last Resort had set upon a cruel and unusual giant - Gannog the Destroyer - a Jotunheim giant and Berserker Lord. Jotunheim giants are twice as strong and hardy as their Sharseya counterparts.

"It was Ragnar the Bold of Thor, recently resurrected and returned from Valhalla, who knew of Gannog's treacherous evil and great hoard of treasure. He convinced The Last Resort that the four of them and their guest, Kausheya the High Priest of Bastet, could indeed take down the great and terrible Barbarian Lord."

Shalin switched hands to scribe with the other. "After tremendous combat, The Last Resort were finally victorious in this, possibly their finest battle. Inside Gannog's titanic lair were treasures mighty and fabled, this very staff among them.

"The Last Resort, led by their intrepid leader, Kaerri of The Forest Eternal, did come away this incredible magical creation for which they decided it should fall to me to have - if I dared meet its challenge.

"After many nights of preparation and painstaking research in Highwind's richest libraries and studies, I learned that I could make the challenge on a plane of my choosing. And so, I declared my challenge to Havoc the Vorgore. We met not in this world nor Asgard but upon the Astral Plane upon which our very souls could become lost.

"Havoc's defeat did not come swiftly nor easily, for we rocked that magical realm for near upon an hour, hunting each other, fleeing, recovering, attacking, counter-attacking, until finally, and after the casting of three Limited Wish spells, I finally brought down my mighty foe. For the first time in an age to my knowledge, a single mortal had done battle with a vorgore. Aye. Done battle and had lived to tell a victorious tale."

Shalin leaned against that staff and looked up to Havoc fondly. "It was also in that time that we formed the greatest of respect for one another. This Staff of the Magi, formed in times when the rules of the cosmos were different, was a vessel for what could be an arcanist's familiar. And so we grew to know each other - both of us had much in common; we had experienced much, fought aplenty, suffered and rose above challenges that most mortals never dare to attempt. We were both outcasts of a kind, special and different from many of our own people, and now we had each other.

"Havoc explained that there was yet another secret to this Staff of the Magi - Havoc could elect a special person as familiar. He wished that person to be me. I agreed.

"Today, Havoc is a dear part of me. And I him. The things we have done together in the name of Good are acts we could have never accomplished without the other. Still, we travel on the adventurers' road until the time comes when we can roam Sharseya no longer."

Shalin spread his hands wide. "And that is the tale of how Havoc of the Staff of the Magi and Shalin the Silent Sorcerer came to be familiars with one another. Now, if you will pardon me a moment of rest, my scribing has finally drained me."

Shalin smiled and rested both his hands and his mind. Above him, Havoc crouched down so that Shalin would have something warm and reliable to lean against. Then Havoc picked Shalin up and set him upon his shoulder. They looked into each other's faces and grinned the grin that only dear friends know.

Luna watches in rapt fascination as the words are formed in the air as Shalin tells his story. "Amazing! I understand your close bond with your friend, for I am lucky and fortunate enough to consider Sparkle here to be my dear friend as well as my familiar. She has shared many trials with me, and in part to her, I have become the person I am today." She looks at Sparkle curled up around her neck with open affection and love. "Thank you for sharing your tale with us. So, I do have to warn you, Havoc may have some trouble fitting into the smaller rooms of the Wagon, but he is still welcome to come with us as much as he is able to. As I mentioned to Nivirea, my favorite room is the study. So many books! I have not seen so many since my time as an apprentice, and had run of the library of my old Master. Shall we?"

From atop the huge fiery-spirited vorgore's shoulder, Shalin looked down at Havoc. They paused a moment, then nodded together. Havoc helped Shalin down to the floor. Shalin then raised his Staff of the Magi. There was a flash of flame and black smoke and Havoc the Vorgore was gone...

...and from the Staff of the Magi there came a deep and unsettling disembodied laughter.

"HEEHEEHEEHEE...." Havoc chuckled from inside Shalin's staff.

"We are ready."

.:|Nivirea - The Sorceress|:.

The sorceress did not seem pleased in the least with the reaction she got, or with the lack of one to be precise, but her sullen mood improved with every line of Shalin's scribed tale until she was back in the shoes of a curious, quietly amazed, and far easier to manage, young lady. So by the time it was over and everyone readied up, so did she nod politely to Luna and declare herself prepared.

"I am Nivirea."
"A traveler and a seeker. Áthas orm bualadh leat.1"

Dressed in their farming clothes and clearly at home in them, the Meadowsweets watched Nivirea's every movement. They seemed not only delighted to meet her company, but they were quickly enchanted by her voice and welcome. Bonny nodded while Whittle replied with a phrase in Sylvan.*

(*Dungeon Master note for all)
"Pleasure to meet you too, Nivirea of the Tall Folk!" Those who have learned Sylvan will know that all Hobbits speak Sylvan; their own language is a dialect of Sylvan in the same way that Minotaur is a dialect of the Giant tongue.

Then they politely listened to Shalin's tale as Luna asked her question. They had a dozen excited reactions, but they kept their mouths shut, watching child-like at Shalin's scribing through the air. They applauded at the end of it. The Silent Sorcerer grinned and bowed in gratitude. Then Bonny and Whittle returned their curiosity right back to Nivirea...

...for it was time for the hobbit-barrage of curious questions!

Bonny was the first to ask, "Are you a half-elf?" He looked at Nivirea with his big brown eyes and dark tousled hair. Despite his being an adult hobbit, there was an innocence about him, pure as a child's own, and Whittle shared it too. "You look a bit like Otiorin, and yet you don't! Are you cousins, perhaps?"

"Nah!" Whittle shook her head. "Hair's too different! Hers is too black an' pretty while Otiorin's brown top sometimes looks like a young fox come outta the rough! An' look at that! Like a fox, he's gone and vanished too!" Whittle gazed up at Nivirea. Her hair was a coppery hue under the golden lamps of the Grand Pool and her green eyes, green as grass in springtime, were round with wonder. "Do you do a lot of vanishin', Miss Nivirea? An' you called yourself a seeker! What is it you are seekin'? Maybe we can help you find it! We are good at findin' things, aren't we, Bonny-love?"

Bonny nodded and smiled. "Indeed, my sweet! Oh an' do you eat lots of vegetables? Elves do, don't they?"

"She'd have to to keep a figure like that! Look! Not a plump pound on her!"

Bonny hopped. "Maybe we should go adventuring too! Then we could be in good shape again!" Whittle clapped. Then they both asked, "What do you think?" The Meadowsweets looked up, waiting patiently for Nivirea's replies.

.:|Nivirea - The Sorceress|:.

The sorceress looked like she was enjoying the attention and interest of the two hobbits. A proud smirk lingered in the corner of her mouth for the entire duration of their excited barrage of questions which seemed not to overwhelm her in the least. However she did ignore most of their questions, some perhaps rightly so (vegetables?), only answering two of them and even those not quite properly.

"I've no elf in me." she said, smiling politely but not offering what it was that she did have in her that could explain the subtle otherworldliness of her appearance, "Yet I vanish just as easily! And as for finding things, I am glad to learn that I am in the right place. Though that which I seek, I should warn you, often lies far beyond the safety of any kitchen or well-stocked larder - if you'll forgive my jest. I would be hard pressed to imagine this lot doing any effective adventuring without you two at their sides."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back