Experiences Your first memorable original character?

Zweit

Arting Starvist
I know I've been around various RP sites and servers for as long as I could write, basically. Might be the same for a lot of you all here too. Which means many years and many, many different characters have probably come and gone in all that time. Even if you've only just started roleplaying as a hobby, I'm sure there's characters that you've grown attached to in that way as well.

So! Who was your first truly memorable RPC?

The earliest one I remember was way back when I was a wee-babe Zweit trolling around RP chatrooms. A spunky half-demon thief character named Ryo, with long braided hair being her only consistent physical characteristic. Possibly inspired by too many YuYu Hakusho reruns. Ryo didn't have a story of her own, but was adventurous enough to plug into almost any fantasy group RP. Sometimes a friend, sometimes a foe, equally as prone to leaving her companion's pockets empty as she was in stealing from the enemy.

A long time ago, im talking during the pandemic time ago, i joined a discord server. Back then my name was like drakon567 or something and i made an rp character. I cannot remember his name, all I remember was that he was supposed to be an absolutely built human who could light his fists on fire. Lame i know but it was in a futuristic rp that i didnt understand back then. It got too complex for me so then i left, although i vividly remember the picture as being Johnny cage, but i drew over his fists with a red marker in adobe fresco. It was sad and i never want to return to that again 😭

My first character was my first memorable one as well, because he was a total cliche of every "badass" stereotype under the sun. I was a rookie writer and my influences were Scorsese movies and video games, no wonder I produced a mercenary hitman wearing all black and sunglasses, driving a muscle car with 50 guns (tm) stashed in the trunk inside (you guessed it) black duffel bags. My dude always knew the perfect angle and had the perfect plan, had yee old special operations background. I mean truly, he was like John Wick without all the charm and humbleness, purchased from Walmart on layaway.

The only respectable thing was his power — super speed that was too fast for his mind to comprehend, so he abused stimulants to effectively use his power. I still think that's a great trade-off as far as superpowers go, and opened doors to commentaries on addiction and substance abuse.... not that my 17 year old self was capable of those conversations, but at least there's potential in the idea.

Matthew motherfucking Trill.

He wasn't even the main character of the story, but I remember him more than I remember the mains. He was the villain of the story, a healer, a man of faith, lowborn in a medieval fantasy setting, and captain of the Royal Guard who was seeking power. He used his healing magic to harm. Like every medicine is a poison, he would "overheal" and cause problems for whoever was impacted. At the time, it was creative to me xD

He died, and came back as a bit of an undefined "thing"; we used the term revenant loosely. He used his allies he had among the nobility to try and usurp the new king (after seeing to it the original king was deposed by helping the heroes unveil a scandal before he was killed). He was always evil, but he'd help the heroes when it suited him, and did a good job playing politics and emotions to get quite far in disrupting everything.

My first character was my first memorable one as well, because he was a total cliche of every "badass" stereotype under the sun. I was a rookie writer and my influences were Scorsese movies and video games, no wonder I produced a mercenary hitman wearing all black and sunglasses, driving a muscle car with 50 guns (tm) stashed in the trunk inside (you guessed it) black duffel bags. My dude always knew the perfect angle and had the perfect plan, had yee old special operations background. I mean truly, he was like John Wick without all the charm and humbleness, purchased from Walmart on layaway.

The only respectable thing was his power — super speed that was too fast for his mind to comprehend, so he abused stimulants to effectively use his power. I still think that's a great trade-off as far as superpowers go, and opened doors to commentaries on addiction and substance abuse.... not that my 17 year old self was capable of those conversations, but at least there's potential in the idea.
Listen, this made me cheese something fierce though. Not the 50 gun duffle bag muscle car ToT

Ye sounds like A train from the boys

Paige, my District 8 girl, is the one to most immediately come to mind. She was a lesbian with massive attitude (and also a massive potty mouth). Long story short, she came from a family of rebels and President Snow knew this so rigged the Hunger Games reaping against her.

Right from the beginning President Snow was doing everything he could to rig the odds against her. Eventually she realized this and that her chances of coming out alive were zero. Because of this revelation she channeled all her energy and willpower into keeping her tiny and scrawny District partner alive (he was the weakest Tribute in the games that year). By the end she sacrificed her own life to bring down the final Career Tribute so her partner could win.

She ended up succeeding in this goal, marking one of the most surprising victories in Hunger Games history. However, because of her actions and her knowledge that the games were rigged against her the footage was heavily censored. Additionally, her girlfriend from back home was turned into an Avox as punishment.

Zweit Zweit lmao that's good to hear, maybe he's got some value as a meme character, maybe one day I'll bust out the dodge challenger & sunglasses again 😂

DragonSlayer57 DragonSlayer57 hey not a bad comparison, I'll take it. Who doesn't love a homicidal track star with a crisp lineup?

I think the first character I ever made on a roleplaying site was already pretty memorable (to me at least) and better made than even some others I would do shortly after. This was a digimon roleplaying site and the whole site is pretty much one big RP. You made a character that was associated with your account's profile after being approved by staff.

This character was a somewhat emotional, somewhat impulsive solo digimon who had left pretty much out of curiosity and ended up in the human world. He didn't have much of a motivation other than pretty much staying alive and trying to live comfortably, especially now that he'd ended up in a completely alien place. Looking back, some of the way he acted was likely informed by my own feelings of trying out this new environment I didn't understand well enough to be comfortable in or know what I was doing.

He generally tried to be empathetic and polite, but he was also very particular about ensuring he had food, though he was happy enough to eat literal trash. The site's different subforums were all particular locations, one of those set in a fictional version of Shibuya, was an extremely dirty river where people frequently dumped stuff. I remember he was very territorial about that place, pretty much a secure source of food and nice place to live in from his perspective.

After evolving the character would come to become a bit more serious with both the element of a prophecy attached and finding an egg and developing a father-adopted daughter dynamic with the one that hatched. It was honestly a bit of a downgrade for the character as I found myself trying a lot of things that were quite contrived, and it also how I discovered the difficulties of prophetic powers in a roleplay context - writing where you can't control every part of what will be written, nor even know it.

I was seven. We’re talking twenty years ago guys. I was seven, and my babysitter (who was also a really close family friend) was on Neopets where she would roleplay. I LOVED sitting there with her when she did. She makes me a neopets account and tells me not to go on the forums though, because I’ll be bored. What’s the first thing I do? Find the forums. And she’s right. I’m bored by most of them EXCEPT the roleplay forums. So I pop over and there’s all these beautiful things. The first memorable character is a wolf named Shadow. He was, at the time, a wolf pup. He’d gone through some horrible abandonment backstory that changed to be far more traumatic as I got older. He was a stereotypical best boyfriend once you got passed his trauma thick skin. He was only a wolf out loud, but I was seven and didn’t really know how to do that (:

Back in the ancient days when Naruto aired on Toonami, I made a spin-off universe in which a village's custom was to seal dragons inside warriors, which infused them with power. My first character of this universe was a generic do-gooder protagonist, no real personality whatsoever, with a brother who was evil but not really. I was writing a story at the time, but I was also getting into roleplaying, so I used the character in chatrooms.

I can't remember if this was my first character, but it was one of my earliest ones.

Officially my first text based rp was via texting. We would change our friends contact names to their alter ego's. Mine was "Bunsie" a rainbow bunny plushie with real human teeth. She had the power to dig and chew on your butt.

So like we'd battle each other via text in and outta class. And being dumb teens of course it was dumbass meta and 4th wall breaking fights that always ended up all pervy. Then like we'd pseudo ship the charries together. Yeah ikr.

You think that's cringe? I actually found some Harry Potter fanfic I wrote when I was in high-school. Wow. I mean. To quote a wise man; If ya know, ya know lol

Lemme see... The earliest I can remember definitively (though I definitely had some before) would've been about fourth grade. They were a half-goblin named Blitzel, with an inexplicable australian accent and a personality that closely resembled Genesis from Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core. Always gesturing really dramatically and giving some vaguely-poetic speech. Also just like, obnoxiously cocky.

For a very short period of time I had a female satyr named Lorelai who was just... an absolute idiot. She was my breakaway from the tropes of early teen RP characters of catgirls and the various cringey/OP with traumatic backstory types. The damn creature couldn't talk or even walk in a straight line, but damn if she wasn't fun. Short lived, due to lack of interest from opposing players, but I remember her fondly all the same.

Hoyo!

My most memorable main character has to be the Red-Eyed Demon. He's the main protagonist of a story I'm hoping to novelize someday, and from a medieval fantasy setting taking place on a continent called Cre' Est.

His mother was a seamstress, and his father was an international import/export shipping magnate who led a double life as a cultist worshipping the nether realm. His father said the family was going on a vacation for his 6th birthday, but it turned into a nightmare when they realized he'd taken them to Roda Valley. Even on its own merits Roda Valley is dangerous with unpredictable terrain and ferocious local wildlife. But it's also home to Te'i Sai, the most feared assassin organization on the continent. When she found out about this his mother tried to grab him and run only to be shot in the back for the effort by her husband. He was tied up and dragged along by his father and other cultists into the valley's mountain reaches near the entrance where an old ritual site was located.

The goal was to sacrifice the boy's mind and soul to turn his body into a vessel for a Demonic spirit, and it almost worked. A spirit had manifested as a giant wall of shadows and was beginning to transfer itself into the boy's body through a knife wound to his chest caused by his father. However, the boy's mother had survived the gunshot wound and, despite her injury, used a torch from the cart they hauled him up in to start attacking the cultists setting several of them on fire before throwing it into the ritual circle disrupting the proceedings. The shadows disbursed and the ritual failed. But the boy's irises, thanks to the fragmented spirit which remained within, now glowed red. His mother ran with him away from the ritual site. But due to the gunshot wound, as well as other knife wounds sustained in her efforts to disrupt the ritual, collapsed near a river that fed down into the valley. With her last ounce of strength she begged him to live and telling him she loved him before pushing him into the river. The boy was found by Te'i Sai the next morning, half dead, but nonetheless alive. The Grandmaster of the organization was among those who found him and at first was keen on giving him a merciful death, but instead became enamored when he saw the glowing red irises and saw him as the future of Te'i Sai.

Thus, the Red-Eyed Demon's legacy began.

This concept first came to me in 2009, and I've continued to roleplay this character and the world he comes from ever since across numerous websites including RpNation. So, dear gawd, the character will be 15 years old on November 19th this year. How time flies. XD

But yeah. He's my most memorable character. And he's one I'll never let go of or allow myself to forget or shelf. Come hell or high water I'm gonna novelize this boy's story someday.

Cheers!

It was for D&D, I made my first character. He was a paladin named Fringe. He was always bragging about how his god saw him as the “chosen one” to defeat the BBEG in the party. Taking credit for all the kills, trying to tell the others what to do, normal A-hole stuff. (Don’t worry, the party knew beforehand and were okay with it. They even found it funny.) But when the party finally met the BBEG, he tried to kill one of his own party members, which made his god FURIOUS. His god decided to not only send him off the tower of the castle the final battle was in, but they also took away Fringe’s powers. Somehow, he survived the fall. He was left at 1 hp, no magic, nothing but his armor and sword. I had to recreate his character sheet and make him just a fighter. He was then used in a sequel campaign with the previous party, and now instead of being a cocky, arrogant, and stubborn little asshole, he genuinely tried to be better. Helping out people he was rude to before, being more self-aware, etc., overall becoming a better person. He is the character that stuck in my head the most out of all others so far.

An unnamed dog turned girl in an afterlife Tower of God style fantasy RP. Her sole goal is to revive herself and come back to her owner, which as far as she's concerned was fighting a robber before she got stabbed. She runs around cluelessly triggering all sort of events while her robot familiar (named U.S.A.G.I aka Ultimate Super Artificial General Intelligence) and the other players trying to rein her and keep her safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back