Simple Charms and what are other dice actions?

Darkon

On page 153 of the Core book, it says regarding Simple charms, "The Charm can be used only once per turn, and it is the character's dice action for the turn." And then "The character may not split her dice pool in the turn she uses a simple charm."

Ok, so my question is this, if a Solar uses a simple charm, that's ALL he does for that entire turn? Other than non dice actions such as movement? This seems to me to be incredibly limiting, but the text is as straightforward as it can be.

So, if a Solar activated Fiery Solar Chakram and made his one attack, he could not split his dice pool to dodge or to make any additional regular attacks. Am I reading this right? As I said before, it seems to be incredibly limiting especially considering that FSC can't be comboed with any defensive charms to protect the individual throughout the remainder of the turn...unless I'm missing some crucial rules about making combos. That or the character had better make sure they had activated Flow Like Blood before combat broke out.

For the last year, we've been using simple charms as a dice action, but not THE dice action for the entire turn. For instance, if a character activated Five Fold Bulwark Stance, he could still split his dice pool to attack. If he activated the charm and wanted to make one attack, it would be counted as two actions with the attack starting at -3. This was how I was taught, then in turn, how I taught all of my players when I found myself reluctantly in the ST hotseat. I had thought that I had the rules down, but now as I've actually got time to go through the entire Core book, I'm finding things like this.

Assuming that I now correctly understand how Simple charms work, are there any types of charms that actually count as dice actions similiar to the way we had been doing simple charms?

Supplementals, I think, are the only ones close to how you were doing Simples. I am fairly certain that Simples take up EVERYTHING you get to do in a turn, unless you have some Extra Action power that lets you get around it.

Okay... FSG is a -simple- charm of instant duration. Which means that if you combo it with a defensive charm or several as the case may be... it's legit..

As for Simple Charms... yeah... the text is fairly clear... if you pop one of them off... that's it, you do -exactly- what the charm says you do, nothing more... unless you've got a persistent charm activated or a reflexive charm waiting in the line up.

Supplemental, boostes your action... which means that you can activate the same supplemental charm in a turn, to apply it to your split actions.

I hope this helps you.

Yes, in the core rules, you may activate only ONE Simple Charm per turn, and only once without having it in a Combo with Extra Action Charms.

Simple Charms ARE incredibly limiting; they are meant to be. In truly tactical Exalted fights, you'll rarely see Simple Charms used outside of a Combo -- it is simply too dangerous to risk.

No Charm works like you have been doing. Supplementals and Reflexives both take no dice action whatsoever (although Supplementals require the existence of a dice action to supplement), and Extra Action Charms are unclear about whether they actually take up your action or not to use.

Haku said:
Okay... FSG is a -simple- charm of instant duration. Which means that if you combo it with a defensive charm or several as the case may be... it's legit...
Are there any defensive charms that can be comboed with FSC?  None of the Dodge charms in the book can be comboed outside their charm tree, unless there's a rule that states otherwise somewhere else.

Thanks for the info so far everyone.  I appreciate the help.

On page 153 of the Core book, it says regarding Simple charms, "The Charm can be used only once per turn, and it is the character's dice action for the turn."  And then "The character may not split her dice pool in the turn she uses a simple charm."
Ok, so my question is this, if a Solar uses a simple charm, that's ALL he does for that entire turn? Other than non dice actions such as movement?  
Unless some magical effect (like a comboed Charm or persistent effect) says otherwise, yes.

This seems to me to be incredibly limiting' date=' but the text is as straightforward as it can be.[/quote']
So what? Simple Charms tend to grant the user considerable benefits for rather minimal cost. They're worth it.

So, if a Solar activated Fiery Solar Chakram and made his one attack, he could not split his dice pool to dodge or to make any additional regular attacks.  Am I reading this right?  As I said before, it seems to be incredibly limiting especially considering that FSC can't be comboed with any defensive charms to protect the individual throughout the remainder of the turn...unless I'm missing some crucial rules about making combos.  
You clearly are, since FSC can be comboed with ANY Instant Reflexive Charms, which most defensive Charms are.

Haku said:
Okay... FSG is a -simple- charm of instant duration. Which means that if you combo it with a defensive charm or several as the case may be... it's legit...
Are there any defensive charms that can be comboed with FSC?  None of the Dodge charms in the book can be comboed outside their charm tree, unless there's a rule that states otherwise somewhere else.

All Reflexive, Instant Charms can be comboed with Charms of ANY Ability.

TheScreenJockey said:
Haku said:

All Reflexive, Instant Charms can be comboed with Charms of ANY Ability.
Good to see you over here TSJ, thanks for the info.  Not that I doubt your knowledge on this basic subject, but could you get me a page ref that I can direct my players to?  I've looked over the combo rules in the Core, but I don't see this there.  Thanks.

Good to see you over here TSJ, thanks for the info.  Not that I doubt your knowledge on this basic subject, but could you get me a page ref that I can direct my players to?  I've looked over the combo rules in the Core, but I don't see this there.  Thanks.
That's because it's not explicitly stated, which is EXACTLY why it's the rule. The rules mainly tell you what comboes CAN'T do. They can't include non-Instant Charms. They can't include more than one Simple Charm or more than one Extra Action Charm. They can't mix Simple, Extra Action, or Supplemental Charms from different Abilities. But nowhere does it say you can't include Instant, Reflexive Charms from any Ability you wish in the same combo. As such, you CAN do that.

Essentially, the Combo rules are a list of EXCLUSIONS. Therefore, anything that does not appear on the list is implicitly permitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back