In Character Interview Thread

It's nice to meet you Darin, sir. The questions I'd like to start with are these: Why a marksman? Can you tell me more about your race? Where did you grow up? Can you tell me about your journey so far?

Hello Darin, marksman. It's good to meet you. It's a little hard to know where to start. OK...can you tell us about the Adventurer's Guild
Darin bites a slice of bread, his eyes thinking. "The guild, or Ryken Adventurer Guild to be more specific," He begins after having swallowed, "is essentially an organization that manages and hands out various requests and missions, with those capable or qualified able to take them. The jobs can vary, though the more dangerous are reserved for the more experienced, of course." He pauses for a silent moment of thought. "Also, while many jobs posted are requests from those outside the guild, I do believe the guild puts out it's own jobs, especially for more concerning or urgent matters."

He looks around the tavern for a moment, before his eyes turn back to the interviewer. "That's a very simplified description; truthfully, I am sure there is much more to it. However, those are the basics of it's operation, and I'm not exactly well versed in the details of it myself."
It's nice to meet you Darin, sir. The questions I'd like to start with are these: Why a marksman? Can you tell me more about your race? Where did you grow up? Can you tell me about your journey so far?
Darin gives a smile, leaning on smirk, at the question of his profession. "I've always been fascinated with gunpowder weaponry; using only a chemical reaction contained within metal, a projectile can be sent flying towards a distant target at drastic speeds. I truly cannot understand why the people of this wo-" He gives a cough, "that the world hasn't adopted guns on any large scale. Well, apart from some on the First Continent, though I can't confirm that."

"Anyway, my intentions to be a marksman were always there. Meeting my mentor was simply what led to my actual training as one."

At the mention of his race, Darin looks at his scaled hands, his expression not revealing anything. "Hmph, I'm a part of the beast race, which can vary quite a lot." He gestures to a man at another table, who appears almost completely human from this angle, with the exception of wolf-like ears. "Whether it's skin, fur, scales, feathers, or even carapaces, we all share one aspect: we can range from a nearly complete animal physiology, to only a couple features. As you can see, well, I lean heavily towards the former."

Upon being asked of where he grew up, Darin's eyes briefly dart to the side, before narrowing on the interviewer. "I cannot recall."

"Hmph, my journey?"
Darin asks with a metaphorically raised eyebrow, before shrugging, raising one claw as he begins a list, "I've been with a group that discovered the presence of a dangerous, uncovered tomb; I've guarded a noble at a party, where the kitchen burst into flames; I've assisted in a mission to rout a gang, which is how I entered the guild; and I've recently decided to answer the call of an odd request for help, though I don't particularly look forward to the swamp."

With a sigh, Darin picks up the mug and takes a long gulp of water. He then pushes the plate of bread slices to the interviewer, "Want any?"

Darin gives a smile, leaning on smirk, at the question of his profession. "I've always been fascinated with gunpowder weaponry; using only a chemical reaction contained within metal, a projectile can be sent flying towards a distant target at drastic speeds. I truly cannot understand why the people of this wo-" He gives a cough, "that the world hasn't adopted guns on any large scale. Well, apart from some on the First Continent, though I can't confirm that."

"Anyway, my intentions to be a marksman were always there. Meeting my mentor was simply what led to my actual training as one."

At the mention of his race, Darin looks at his scaled hands, his expression not revealing anything. "Hmph, I'm a part of the beast race, which can vary quite a lot." He gestures to a man at another table, who appears almost completely human from this angle, with the exception of wolf-like ears. "Whether it's skin, fur, scales, feathers, or even carapaces, we all share one aspect: we can range from a nearly complete animal physiology, to only a couple features. As you can see, well, I lean heavily towards the former."

Upon being asked of where he grew up, Darin's eyes briefly dart to the side, before narrowing on the interviewer. "I cannot recall."

"Hmph, my journey?"
Darin asks with a metaphorically raised eyebrow, before shrugging, raising one claw as he begins a list, "I've been with a group that discovered the presence of a dangerous, uncovered tomb; I've guarded a noble at a party, where the kitchen burst into flames; I've assisted in a mission to rout a gang, which is how I entered the guild; and I've recently decided to answer the call of an odd request for help, though I don't particularly look forward to the swamp."

With a sigh, Darin picks up the mug and takes a long gulp of water. He then pushes the plate of bread slices to the interviewer, "Want any?"
(I didn't see any rule against this but I'm inspired to RP out the interview. If the one being interviewed is alright with it then feel free to answer!)

Pad of paper placed neatly on the table with pen and inkwell at the ready, the interviewer listens intently, occasionally nodding along to Darin's answers and making noncommittal noises such as hm's and ah's. One leg crosses over the other underneath the table, a small shift in his torso the only indication of a change in position. A delicate hand with long, slender and calloused fingers swiftly writes down the beastman's answers in elegant script. Glasses on a pale, thin face glint in the candlelight of the tavern. The pointer finger of the unoccupied hand rises to push the spectacles further up onto the bridge of his nose.

"A fascinating weapon." He muses, though doesn't interrupt the beastman answering the other questions he'd asked. A dip of the pen into the inkwell causes a split second pause in writing before it resumes. "Would you describe a marksman as something similar to an archer?" He asks, green eyes watching the beastman as his right hand continues to write. His hand pauses, finishing the script of the rest of the answers and momentarily places the pen on its side to clench and unclench his hand into a fist. He picks up the pen again to resume with another quick dip into the inkwell, pen poised above the paper.

"I apologize if I offended." The interviewer says in a soft voice, a frown on his lips. "It was a rude question." Words spoken in sincerity, he continues on without missing a beat. Regardless if the interviewee accepts his apology or not, he's here to interview, and thus must continue with his questions. "I'm sure the world will adopt these guns eventually, once they've seen the power they have. However, change is terrifying to many, and the thought of stronger weapons means another race towards the next war over resources." Flowing script spelled out the word mentor with quick movements. "How did you meet this mentor?" With a line drawn from the word to the space underneath, he pauses, pen poised, and waits for an answer.

"You don't recall your childhood?" He asks in surprise, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise. "Or is it you wish not to indulge one such as me in your past?" If the other wished him not to pry, he wouldn't. Causing the beastman to go on guard and withdraw was the opposite of what he wanted to do, and prying into something someone wanted to keep secret was not the way to go about it. He had to earn the trust of the one he interviewed by respecting them and their experiences. "Your adventures all sound dangerous and positively thrilling." He states, a partial purr in his voice at the thought of adventure. He wishes to ask more about the adventures, however, he decides to wait for the answers to the previous questions he'd asked first so as not to overwhelm Darin and his own hand. At the offer to bread, he gingerly takes a piece and begins to nibble at it, finding it a little harder to what he was used to eating.

(I didn't see any rule against this but I'm inspired to RP out the interview. If the one being interviewed is alright with it then feel free to answer!)

Pad of paper placed neatly on the table with pen and inkwell at the ready, the interviewer listens intently, occasionally nodding along to Darin's answers and making noncommittal noises such as hm's and ah's. One leg crosses over the other underneath the table, a small shift in his torso the only indication of a change in position. A delicate hand with long, slender and calloused fingers swiftly writes down the beastman's answers in elegant script. Glasses on a pale, thin face glint in the candlelight of the tavern. The pointer finger of the unoccupied hand rises to push the spectacles further up onto the bridge of his nose.

"A fascinating weapon." He muses, though doesn't interrupt the beastman answering the other questions he'd asked. A dip of the pen into the inkwell causes a split second pause in writing before it resumes. "Would you describe a marksman as something similar to an archer?" He asks, green eyes watching the beastman as his right hand continues to write. His hand pauses, finishing the script of the rest of the answers and momentarily places the pen on its side to clench and unclench his hand into a fist. He picks up the pen again to resume with another quick dip into the inkwell, pen poised above the paper.

"I apologize if I offended." The interviewer says in a soft voice, a frown on his lips. "It was a rude question." Words spoken in sincerity, he continues on without missing a beat. Regardless if the interviewee accepts his apology or not, he's here to interview, and thus must continue with his questions. "I'm sure the world will adopt these guns eventually, once they've seen the power they have. However, change is terrifying to many, and the thought of stronger weapons means another race towards the next war over resources." Flowing script spelled out the word mentor with quick movements. "How did you meet this mentor?" With a line drawn from the word to the space underneath, he pauses, pen poised, and waits for an answer.

"You don't recall your childhood?" He asks in surprise, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise. "Or is it you wish not to indulge one such as me in your past?" If the other wished him not to pry, he wouldn't. Causing the beastman to go on guard and withdraw was the opposite of what he wanted to do, and prying into something someone wanted to keep secret was not the way to go about it. He had to earn the trust of the one he interviewed by respecting them and their experiences. "Your adventures all sound dangerous and positively thrilling." He states, a partial purr in his voice at the thought of adventure. He wishes to ask more about the adventures, however, he decides to wait for the answers to the previous questions he'd asked first so as not to overwhelm Darin and his own hand. At the offer to bread, he gingerly takes a piece and begins to nibble at it, finding it a little harder to what he was used to eating.
"Hmph, on a surface level, sure." Darin admitted, before quickly continuing, "However, a marksman -or 'gunslinger' as some may say, though I find that term inaccurate for myself- is as much an archer as a spearman is to a swordsman; the principles may be similar, but the actual usage is significantly different. An archer must focus on the manipulation of the bow's string, the trajectory of the arrow, and how long it'll take to reach the target. The musket-wielding marksman must focus on rapid but proper reloading, controlling their breath, and tolerating the physical recoil. When there's a controlled explosion blasting out a heavy lead ball, the kick into your shoulder multiple times in short succession is not pleasant."

Darin gave a dismissive wave of his hand, "It is not necessary to apologize, but I accept it nonetheless; as an interviewer, it is your job to be curious and ask questions, yes?"

Though not a question, Darin responded to the interviewer's comment on guns anyway. "Tch, with magic this and magic that, I doubt the introduction of firearms is going to make conflict any more horrific. Besides, with the sheer variety of dangers posed by this world, having a weapon that doesn't require natural power or extensive training to use is invaluable; I'm sure every town guard on the continent would appreciate them." His somewhat indignant posture left, giving way to an expression of thought after his last sentence.

Darin gave a small but genuine smile, when asked about his mentor. "The man saved my life. I was... younger, shall we say, and did not have any knowledge on practical combat, or even self-defense. Travelling the woods one day, I was attacked by a particularly large wolf, which would have certainly torn me apart. Fortunately, being a hunter, he was tracking the animal that same day. Just in time, he took a shot that immediately downed it; and yes, he used his own musket for hunting."

With the past brought up again, Darin's expression remained neutral this time, staring at the interviewer as if to judge them. After a moment, he closed his eyes. "The past is important to each of us, because it holds bearing on our present and future. So what happens, when suddenly, it doesn't?" He was silent for a moment, before opening his eyes and sighing, "My past no longer holds bearing, so I have no reason to speak of it. Next question?"

Well, considering the other person never responded, I can nominate you for the next character if you'd like, StuartAnderson StuartAnderson ? I agree, it's definitely a great idea, and I'd hate to see it discontinue.

Voider Voider cool!

Name: Sir Rowan Blackthorn
Kingdom: Valoria

Appearance: Sir Rowan is a tall and imposing figure, standing at 6'3". He has a robust build, with a well-muscled frame earned from years of training and combat. His dark, raven-black hair falls to his shoulders, framing a chiseled, clean-shaven face. His deep-set, steel-gray eyes seem to hide a wealth of experiences, and they are often filled with determination. Rowan's strong jawline and a prominent scar across his left cheek give him a rugged, battle-worn appearance. He is usually seen in polished black armor adorned with the sigil of his kingdom, a crimson dragon.

Personality: Sir Rowan is the embodiment of honour and loyalty. He is fiercely protective of his homeland and is unwavering in his dedication to the kingdom's well-being. Stoic and serious, He seldom shows emotion, preferring to keep his true feelings hidden. He is a traditionalist, adhering to the old ways of chivalry and knighthood, which often puts him at odds with the changing political landscape of his kingdom. However, beneath his stern exterior, he possesses deep kindness, though he often struggles to express it openly.Sir Rwoan is known for his unyielding determination and unwavering resolve, which makes him a formidable warrior on the battlefield.

Backstory: Sir Rowan Blackthorn was born into a family of knights, and his destiny was sealed from a young age. He began his training as a squire at the age of twelve, under the guidance of his father, a respected knight. His training was grueling, instilling in him a strong sense of discipline, loyalty, and combat skills. As he grew older, he distinguished himself on the battlefield, earning a reputation as a valiant and reliable warrior.

His loyalty to the kingdom was further solidified when he thwarted an assassination attempt on the king during a diplomatic mission. This act of heroism elevated him to knighthood and earned him the trust and gratitude of the king who made him a key advisor. Despite his hatred of Crowfell and the potential alliance, he swore an oath of loyalty to the king in which he would rather die than break,

It must be hard, your desire for honor being so set against your personal beliefs. to be duty-bound to a man you loath must be rough, how have you coped?

It must be hard, your desire for honor being so set against your personal beliefs. to be duty-bound to a man you loath must be rough, how have you coped?
Great question, thank you!

It is deinitley difficult, to have to protect a people group and a land, I have despised my entire life is hard. I have spent much time in battle against them and have lost friends to their bloodshed.
However, I believe in our king, King Thalric. My duty to my king ais a force that has driven me even when my personal beliefs clashed with it. I cope by remembering the vow that I have made and my belief that a man is only as good as his word. I also have trust in our King who has never given me reason to doubt him before. Sometimes, the path of honor is a thorny one, but it's a path I've chosen to walk. And in the end, it's the oath I've sworn that keeps me going."

Excluding the assassination attempt you thwarted, what was the most dangerous thing you witnessed back in your days as a squire?

Excluding the assassination attempt you thwarted, what was the most dangerous thing you witnessed back in your days as a squire?
The most perilous experience I encountered during my days as a squire was a fierce skirmish with a band of raiders while we were on a mission to protect our kingdom's border. We were outnumbered and caught off guard, and the enemy was well-armed and ruthless. It was a brutal and chaotic battle, and I saw some of my fellows fall in the line of duty. The odds were against us, but through sheer determination and the guidance of our commander, we managed to repel the attackers and secure our border. It was a formative experience that taught me the importance of unwavering resolve and the value of teamwork in the face of overwhelming danger.

What threats beset your kingdom? Are there any other kingdoms with territorial ambitions against you, or is it more of domestic rebels that you deal with, or just raiders from faraway lands?

What threats beset your kingdom? Are there any other kingdoms with territorial ambitions against you, or is it more of domestic rebels that you deal with, or just raiders from faraway lands?

Our biggest threat is Crowfell.

The history between Valora and Crowfell is marked by a long and bitter rivalry, with a history of wars and deep-seated animosity. We share a contentious border that has been a source of conflict for generations. These two kingdoms have often been at odds, with territorial disputes and power struggles fueling their enmity.

Crowfell is the larger kingdom and has historically sought to dominate Valora leading to frequent clashes and open hostilities. We have always fiercely defended our independence and sovereignty, sometimes resorting to cunning diplomacy and alliances with other neighboring states to counter Crowfell's influence.

Aside from Crowfell, while there have been neighboring kingdoms with territorial ambitions, we've managed to maintain generally stable borders through treaties and diplomatic efforts. Thus, we are more likely to have raiders from faraway lands.
Of course, there are political intrigues and power struggles among the nobility at times which can disrupt the peace and stability of the realm. So we have to remain vigilant of internal struggles.
There hasn't been much of one for a long time, due to the Kingdom being united against Crowfell. With our king, talking about trying to form an alliance with Crowfell, I am expecting one sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Do your people have any knowledge of these faraway lands?
Why is your king trying to align with crowfell? Are there any other external threats to the kingdom that they might be trying to defend against with such a maneuver?
What are your typical duties on a day to day basis?

They would have heard tales and rumors from traders and travelers. Stories of exotic landscapes, strange customs, and different ways of life. But truth be told, it's mostly a tapestry woven from fragments of imagination and distant whispers. The realities of those faraway lands remain elusive, the nobility wouldn't want them to worry and for them to focus on their work here.

As for why, truth be told, i'm not sure. He hasn't gone into detail with me. It's possible, he is seeking a genuine peace treaty and put the many years of war behind us or it may be more strategic than that. I am a servant of his kingdom and whilst he trusts me more than most, he certainly doesn't share everything with me. My guess is that it's more than first becuase he'd probably be willing to share more detail if it was more of a tactic because of the hatred we Valorians have of Crowfell; an alliance wouldn't be a popular move so he would have to play his cards closer to his chest. but that's speculation.

My duties:

1. Training: Much of my time is dedicated to refining combat skills—mastering various weapons, perfecting horsemanship, and engaging in mock battles to stay battle-ready.
  2. Military Service: When conflict arises, I serve in the king's army, participating in everything from skirmishes to full-scale battles.
  3. Protection: I stand guard against external threats and ensured orde
  4. Courtly Duties: The social aspect of knighthood requires attendance at feasts, tournaments, and other courtly events.
  5. Training Squires: I took on squires, guiding them through the rituals and skills necessary to become knights themselves.
  6. Maintaining Equipment: The upkeep of armor, weapons, and other gear is a constant responsibility, ensuring everything was in prime condition.

Is there much cultural interchange between your kingdom and crowfell? Do your kingdoms share a language, common heritage, anything of the sort?
How many wars have you fought in?
What is your preffered equipment and tactics in combat?

(Sorry, i haven't replied. I am aware of it but i've been away with a laptop out of action and I am rubbish at typing on my phone lol so I will reply)

I believe it's time for you to choose another person now, so as to keep the thread flowing with different characters.

If they don't choose someone by Sunday I'll roll a die
And exclude myself from the roster cause that feels weird if it picks me

1. Cultural interchange between Valora and Crowfell has been limited historically. The long-standing rivalry and occasional conflicts have created a divide, making cultural exchange challenging.

2. The Language is very similar but not precisly the same. I guess it's like a dialect so it's similar enough to understand each other but there are some differences.

3. There's a shared heritage in the sense of knightly codes of which are extremly similar. However, the animosity between the kingdoms has hinders the open exchange of cultural aspects, resulting in divergent traditions and beliefs.
In Crowfell, traditions revolve heavily around the royalty. There's a deep-seated reverence for the monarchy and a strict adherence to hierarchical structures.

Valora, whilst also having a monarch values independence, freedom, and self-sufficiency much more. Our traditions emphasize resourcefulness, resilience, and adaptability, driven by a history of enduring harsher climates and often facing external threats.

Both kingdoms have their unique festivals, ceremonies, and rituals. Crowfell usually emphasize grandeur, Valora tend toprioritize communal events.

the historical enmity is too strong for us to want to be like each other so there isn't much cultrual exchane.

3. I've been part of three major wars, all of them involving territorial disputes and ideological differences between Valora and our adversaries.
alsonumerous skirmishes, l. These were frequent clashes that often erupted due to territorial disputes, resource competition, or even personal feuds among knights/nobility from both kingdoms. While they weren't full-scale wars, these skirmishes were intense and frequent enough to leave a mark on our history and relationships.

I favor the longsword. Its balance, versatility, and maneuverability make it a dependable choice in battle and it can still be used on horseback.

In terms of strategy, I lean towards an offensive strategy. To try and get the opponents on the back foot as quickly as possible and dominante from there. However I appprecaite the need to balance that with defensive posture. So I try and focus on reading my opponent's movements, looking for openings while maintaining a strong defensive posture. Adapting to the situation and exploiting the enemy's weaknesses is crucial. A combination of precision strikes, strategic footwork, and a vigilant defense helps me navigate the chaos of battle.
When attacking on horseback, I aim for swift maneuvers, exploiting the advantage of speed and momentum. I'd likely employ a combination of close-range strikes and well-timed charges, using the horse's agility to my advantage. I'd seek to create confusion and disruption in the enemy's ranks while remaining mobile to avoid counterattacks. Timing the strikes to maintain control over the battlefield is essential.

my apoloies lost track a bit there!

Len Auphydas Len Auphydas would you like to do a character

Sure! Well, uh, I'd like to do two more accurately, at the same time, because they come as a pair! I'll be doing the brothers Alunya and Antares from my story, Immaculate. Not sure how to set the scene so, I will just give basic impressions of the characters as a lead in instead. Hopefully this is a good amount of information, I'm not sure what the balance is between sharing and holding back to give hooks for questions without just giving all the answers to most questions before I'm even in characters...

Names and ages at time of interview: Alunya (14) and Antares (17).

Physique: Both of the siblings are recognizable for their snowy white hair and tall, lean stature, with an athletic and sinewy build. Of the two, Antares is slightly taller and more stoutly built, though they are both rather slender. While they had always had an androgynous appearance, the usage of blood sorcery to manipulate their physiology has resulted in the two of them becoming perfectly asexual in form. The combination of their tall height and athletic appearance, together with the lack of sexual traits that are usual markers of maturity, makes them look rather odd, almost like an overgrown child.

Origin: Alunya and Antares both originate from an isolated village deep in the magical wilderness of Auria, which was protected by a guardian deity named Hylicia. Alunya developed sorcerous talents at a young age, and fear of the young boys abilities, as well as the circumstances of his birth, eventually drove the rest of the village, and even his older brother Antares, to shun and resent him. Following a devastating storm which wreaked incredible damage to the village, Alunya was blamed for the catastrophe and exiled from his village. Antares, overcome with remorse for his own actions during the storm, resolved to follow his younger brother into the wilderness, even though he was not exiled with him.

this is going to totally spoil my story before I've even posted it but whatever

Last edited:
What are some of the dangers that you face now that you two are out in the wilderness?

"Oh, the heartlands has all kinds of stuff!" Alunya pipes up, before Antares quickly interjects. "'Heartlands' is what the region is called. Theres all manner of things out there- Wild magic, Mystborn, Shadowspawn, minor deities. The god that protected our village back home was just one of many, something about the region just draws divine creatures in."

"Shortly after we left, there was this really big and scary Shadowspawn we had to fight called a Nightmare!" Alunya continues. "They're not technically alive, ya know. They're more accurately called spirits, made of shadow magic. It almost got me, but Ares saved me!" Even the normally chipper boy noticeably shudders a little bit at that memory.

Antares shrugs, before picking up where Alunya left off. "It would be hard to really detail all the different kinds of things you can run into out here. Even outside of the monsters and divinities, wild magic can do all sorts of strange stuff. Thats where the Mystborn come from, you have a perfectly normal sunny day, then poof, this dense silvery mist shows up everywhere and weird fleshy creatures that don't look like any animal I've ever seen start circling around the skies or roaming the wilds, like they just materialized out of the mist." Antares nods sagely. "Its not rare to find places where the local resonance causes magical phenomena to occur that can be dangerous, either. Sudden magical thunderstorms, meteor impacts. Sometimes if you find alot of corpses in one place, you'll find them getting up and shuffling around as undead."

Alunya purses his lips, thoughtfully. "Though, honestly, when I really think back on it, there's a surprising amount of just people we've run into out here, too. Theres small villages and settlements just kinda scattered in the weirdest places out here. Some of them can be pretty fun! I get to show off how cute my big brother is to everyone, get a proper nights rest in a proper bed. Maybe fight in a tournament if there is one going on!" Alunya cheers, before putting on a somber face. "Not all of them, though. Some of the people out here can be really nasty pieces of work, even worse than back home. Sorceror's with their own little personal domain, lesser deities demanding human sacrifices. The scariest was this group that lived inside this volcano and kept running slaving raids to the nearby villages. They didn't just have magical creatures- These biiig monsters that were made of lava, but covered in heavy metal armor with big axes and swords for weapons- but technology too. Stuff I'd never seen back at home, like this weird bow mounted horizontally on a stick that would fire itself if you just kept rotating a crank." Alunya finishes his rather scattered thought process.

"And that's not even to mention the more conventional threats... Most of the year we can get enough food just fine from digging up roots and hunting, but the winters can be brutal. Living in the wilds without any way to store food, and without much in the way of warmth... Sometimes we only just barely scrape by." Antares sighs and rubs his face. "I think I'd rather face just about any monster- whether that monster was a monster of a person or monster of a divine beast- than starvation. Well, any monster except another Nightmare." Antares closes his eyes and shudders from the memory just as his brother did earlier.

It seems like magic & monsters have done a lot of harm to your lands and people. I'm curious to know if there is anything good to come from magic and the creatures that roam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back