• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter One

"....once she makes her dive into the guts of that thing." 

Ah!  A possible Ghost in the Shell reference!  I never thought of technopathy as ghost-diving.  That's neat!  =)

Ah!  A possible Ghost in the Shell reference!  I never thought of technopathy as ghost-diving.  That's neat!  =)

That is what I had in mind when I wrote that.  Thanks for catching it, by the way! 8)

GitS is a awesome anime and manga.  I'm looking forward to the live action film with Scarlet Johansen as the Major.  I hope it does a good job sticking with the spirit of the manga.

Same here, Psychie.  I have high hopes for this one.  =)

Catch up on in-game and read this spoiler?  =)

Concerning Shirley being effectively "volun-told" to lead your mission...  this really is a decision you can plant solely on General Steel.  Once again, Sherwood's words ("He's that bad.") ring true, because while I believe from a Games Master perspective he's not all that bad, I also believe from a player's perspective, he really is.  

Decisions like these, where he decides who leads you and you guys get stuck with it regardless of how you feel (Shirley included), are fully in-character for him.  His "my way or the highway" attitude is one of those big commonalities I see between him and Caligula.  As for Steel being crazy like Caligula, you know, I've never been able to figure out if he is or not.  Sherwood and Killfire have certainly thought so, though.  Perhaps it's because their characters have long worked under him and I've never seen him from a purely player-character point of view?

Whatever the case, the reason I'm bringing this up is this - I don't want you thinking this whole campaign is going to be led by an NPC leader.  

This mission?  Yes.  Future missions?  Well, that highly depends on what you decide in the future (this comment will make more sense down the road).  Consider Shirley's being in charge to be a decision I'm letting Steel get away with, mainly because it's purely in-character for him.  

In other words, I want to play Steel accurately and this is what Steel "told" me he wanted.  He wants a trusted officer (preferably over an enlisted soldier), a human (his words) with a strong military background, coming from a strong military household (preferably American), and someone who has some kind of decent reputation in or around Florida.  So, had one of you somehow rolled up a character with those traits, he likely would have selected that character.  As it stands, he chose the lady who chewed his tail in front of his own hand-picked Special Forces team (including the lines, "Maybe you oughtta General your ass up some better tanks, sir!  Ever think of that?").  

So, as Chapter One: Binary Nexus comes to a close in the near future and we open up with Chapter Two: Into the Maelstrom, I just want to point out the behind-the-scenes reasons behind your NPC leader.  Anyone have opinions they'd like to share about this?  =)

@Captain Hesperus Cap'n (as Herc) sez, "Colonel, sir. I think there's a problem.", he said, his big voice echoing through the cavernous chamber, "See, my experience is completely in Destroids, The Monster to be precise. I came to Florida, to Eglin, to learn how to pilot a VHT. I have zero time behind the controls."

Hey, Cap'n?  If this is some new twist to Herc, then I'm completely unaware of it, friend.  Herc's character sheet clearly states he not only has the ability to pilot the Veritech Hover Tank, but he's currently specialized in it.  Herc even has the entire M.O.S. built around that mech.  

In other words, if you're looking only at the character you rolled up, Herc only knows how to pilot the VHT (and not the M.A.C. II Monster as he does not have those skills!  Hah!).  

- Cap'n.  Re: Herc.  If memory serves, during character creation I was willing to just act as if Herc could pilot the Monster without you having to spend any skills in that direction.  I figured, why should you spend skills in a mech you are never likely to pilot in-game?

But as for Herc not knowing how to pilot a Veritech Hover Tank at all, I don't remember us having this conversation.  Did we and I'm just missing it?

- Cap'n.  Re: Herc.  If memory serves, during character creation I was willing to just act as if Herc could pilot the Monster without you having to spend any skills in that direction.  I figured, why should you spend skills in a mech you are never likely to pilot in-game?

But as for Herc not knowing how to pilot a Veritech Hover Tank at all, I don't remember us having this conversation.  Did we and I'm just missing it?

I don't remember any point at which we discussed him actually having combat experience in a VHT. If anything, he probably spent time in a simulator, since no army would waste time and resources transferring a soldier halfway across the world without him having any experience in a particular MOS, but I can't recall any discussion about him using a Spartas prior to his transfer.

Captain Hesperus

Good point.  That's a part of Herc's career we haven't talked about.  I had come to the understanding that (and use this if you will or discard it as you see fit?) Herc had all of his combat experience in the Monster in Greece with Legend Squad, then transferred here to Eglin ASC where he's been for the past month receiving his VHT M.O.S..  Therefore, he would have no combat experience in the VHT (being 1st level like the rest of the gang and all).  

But as for him having live real-time experience on the driving grounds and firing ranges and simulators?  Most definitely.  Like Mario 48 hours ago, Herc is ready to go; he just hasn't had the green light yet.

How do you feel about that?

Good point.  That's a part of Herc's career we haven't talked about.  I had come to the understanding that (and use this if you will or discard it as you see fit?) Herc had all of his combat experience in the Monster in Greece with Legend Squad, then transferred here to Eglin ASC where he's been for the past month receiving his VHT M.O.S..  Therefore, he would have no combat experience in the VHT (being 1st level like the rest of the gang and all).  

But as for him having live real-time experience on the driving grounds and firing ranges and simulators?  Most definitely.  Like Mario 48 hours ago, Herc is ready to go; he just hasn't had the green light yet.

How do you feel about that?

That's my feeling too. Although, Mario has had combat training now, even though he lost his mech. Hercules and Toph have only been engaged in out-of-mech combat.

Captain Hesperus

O.K.!  So are we agreed then that Herc is properly-trained in the VHT M.O.S. and therefore able to participate in this mission?  And if so, would you mind rewriting the post, please?

Thanks a bunch!  That makes life a lot easier on my end.  =)

Folks, I'll try to post something tomorrow (or at least before the site goes down for...  RpN 3.0!).   =)

Okies!  Looks like RpN 3.0 will be happening next weekend... which gives us more time to post now!

Please catch up in-game prior to reading the spoiler below!  =)

Rolling initiative!

Folks, as you know, we have no RpN dice roller.  As your fair and fun-minded Game Master, I require a method in which I can verify every roll made.  This means I cannot use dice rollers from across the Internet as there is no way to doubtlessly prove the result.  Why?  Mainly because a person, if they so chose, could roll 12 times until they got the result they wanted and everyone in this game would be none the wiser.  Not that I expect any such behavior, of course, but it remains my way to verify die rolls with my own two eyes.  

So...  as we've done in Sharseya, so shall we do here.  I am the proud owner of a great deal of real dice.  Each of you pick a color and I'll roll the one you picked here at my computer desk.  

Doing this enables me to doubtlessly (there's that word again) verify the results of your roll while giving you some kind of choice in the tool deciding your character's success or failure.

It was difficult to choose 10 out of the dozens that I own, but it got done.  So, without further ado, here are your d20 selections from left to right, top to bottom:

Dice Are Nice 0218172043.jpg

1. White

2. Silver

3. Yellow

4. Orange

5. Red/White

6. Smooth Red

7. Purple

8. Blue

9. Aquamarine

10. Green/Black

So, here in Fat Gandalf's, please select one of these dice for me to roll your character's initiative on.   =)

I'll post this in Shop Talk now, and in the future, I'll do the same for your percentile dice choices.  =)

EDIT: This House Rule is now in Shop Talk under House Rule: Dice are nice...  =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will lay 'dibs' on Blue for Mario.

O.K., Sherwood.  =)

Just to be clear - anyone can roll whatever color among the ten chosen (unless you guys want to "lay dibs" on each of the d20s for each of your characters, say, Blue is always Mario or whatnot. - this approach is fine by me).  =)

(Incoming silliness!)

White for Toph you say, Psychie?  Done.  But what about for Kaerri?  Or Cap'n?  What will you request for them?  Hmmmm?  Or would you rather request that Sherwood take another color so you can take the blue?  Oh, the options!  Heh!  =)

Yellow for Elinor.  Oh hey, that almost rhymes!

Okies.  Battle order is as follows (the green coloring indicates whose turn it is):

MechaKitten (rolled a Natural 20!) - Nat 20

The Enemy - 21 (Wonderful.  The damned thing beat you all with a high roll plus its bonuses...  except for the bittiest member of your group!)

Booty - 19

Reggie - 18 (he selected Cap'n's/Herc's "olive-like" d20, I might point out.  =)  )

Elinor - 11

Herc - 10.1

Mario - 10

Hitomi - 6

Col. Sharp - 5

Toph - 4

Professor Stein - N/A  

(For those interested, here's a little "Shop Talk" concerning these results.  Enter if you're a dice nerd or if your name is "Cap'n" because there's a question in there for you, Bubba.  =)  )

Okies.  Let's get a little "Shop Talk" going here...

Sherwood's die roll result is: 9 +1 (Initiative bonus) = 10.

Psychie's choice resulted in a 3 + 1 (Initiative bonus) = 4.

Kaerri "rolls" a: 11 (no bonus) = 11.

Cap'n's die roll result is: 10 (no bonus) = 10.  (Question for Cap'n - Herc's mecha combat bonuses are blank.  Do you want my help filling in the blanks?).

We have a tie.  There is a House Rule in Sharseya we have that, when two allied characters end up with the same result (as Sherwood and Cap'n have), the characters in question may select who goes first - if they are an established team (meaning, a team that has worked together long enough to have excellent teamwork).  Your characters simply don't know each other quite well enough yet to get that benefit, so we have a roll-off (straight roll; no bonuses).

Sherwood "rolls" a 12.  Cap'n "rolls" a 14.  This effectively bumps Herc up to "10.1" not 11; there is no roll-off with the 11-spot (which Kaerri happens to be in).

I know that in hand to hand combat, the Parry maneuver doesn't take an action. But, in this case, I don't on know if I am able to block this attack. If I can, I'd like to at attempt that, and if not, I'll dodge. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back