• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eleven: The Troubled Temple of Tapio - Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mamapaw could understand her son's... well, they were not fears as he had never in his life felt that feeling... Instead, she could relate to Powerpaw's doubts. The brown-furred Felane peered down at Oreleth with the raised tail and flickering whiskers of a cat filled with curiosity. She sniffed. "Just what is it you do exactly, warrior? And what has the Goddess of Ice wrought upon you or yours to illicit your resolved response?"
Oreleth looks up at the large feline and says, "I have traveled quite extensively over the years and have seen many things in that time. It was during one such trip that I was making that I have run across the handiwork of the followers of Loviatar. Nasty bunch, they were, following a cruel mistress that would spread her pain across the lands if she were not checked." She pauses as she ponders the rest of Mamapaw's question. "As for what I do, I seek my missing kinfolk that were taken from our caravan so many years ago. I don't know if any are still alive, but until I find proof of their deaths, I have hope."
Then the cute little fellow nodded to her. It was not his fault; he could not help but appear adorable. "I am Oscar of Highwind. Why do you seek me?"
She looks at the little red fuzzy creature speaking in such a deep voice, then gives Luna a long look. "So, this is why you were so confident that Oscar of HIghwind had been reincarnated, huh? He travels with you in the new form of this creature!" Looking at the adorably cute fellow, she says, "I have heard that you know of the mystic bow Soulsinger. It is a item that has been well hidden for many years, and I have been seeking it for some time. Do you know of what I speak?"

Oreleth looks up at the large feline and says, "I have traveled quite extensively over the years and have seen many things in that time. It was during one such trip that I was making that I have run across the handiwork of the followers of Loviatar. Nasty bunch, they were, following a cruel mistress that would spread her pain across the lands if she were not checked."

Mamapaw's whiskers flickered. "What I mean is, 'what do you do as an adventurer? Clearly, you have armor and you have weapons, but... are you indeed a warrior? Or perhaps a ranger? Or something else? My son and I are..." she considered her words carefully, "new to this region."

As Mamapaw spoke, Bria silently snuggled Oscar, or more accurately, she smiled and nuzzled him with her nose. At first, the scholar appeared mildly surprised, but then he relaxed and smiled too. Apparently being snuggled by Bria just had this effect on people.

He confessed to Oreleth but his response was guarded. "I am aware of a weapon by that name. Why do you seek it?"

Last edited:
Mamapaw's whiskers flickered. "What I mean is, 'what do you do as an adventurer? Clearly, you have armor and you have weapons, but... are you indeed a warrior? Or perhaps a ranger? Or something else? My son and I are..." she considered her words carefully, "new to this region."
Oreleth nods, "I am sorry; I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes, I am a warrior, specializing with the bow. Even before my Arcane training, I was skilled in the use of my longbow. Having it in my hand feels like a natural extension of my own self. Many foes have fallen to it as I have traveled."
He confessed to Oreleth but his response was guarded. "I am aware of a weapon by that name. Why do you seek it?"
Turning her attention to the red panda, she says, "I have learned of its existence some time ago in one of the many books I read during my travels, and became intrigued with it. I don't know exactly what about this bow that appeals to me so much, but I feel a strong need to recover it from whatever dusty hole it is hidden in. I hope to be able to convince you to share what you know of its location with me." Oreleth looks hopeful as she describes what she knows about the item.

"We shall see," Oscar replied to Oreleth in a tone that seemed to suggest that he was curious as to the outcome of their adventures together. "As for now, I recommend we make our way to Ben and Misha's shop; there certainly will not be any places to shop in the Maiden of Pain's domain. Brendoran? Will you call your party?"

Luna smiles at the thought of doing some shopping. Hopefully this Ben and Misha's shop will have some books that I haven't read yet! I need some new material. She asks, "What kind of shop is this place we are going to? What kind of materials do they carry?"
0 - Light, Mage Hand, Message, Read Magic
1 - Shield x2, Burning Hands, Floating Disk, Unseen Servant, Magic Missile x2
2 - Protection From Arrows x2, Blur x2, Web x2, Scorching Ray
3 - Haste, Fireball, Displacement, Fly, Lightning Bolt
4 - Ball Lightning x2, Empowered Scorching Ray x2, Remove Curse
5 - Cone of Cold, Empowered Fireball, Empowered Lightning Bolt

Force Missile x9, Extended Mage Armor II in effect, duration of 20 hours

Oreleth shrugs. "I don't have much money on me, but I also don't have much need for anything. I carry what I can and make do with what I have." Her hand idly strokes the Bag of Holding with most of her belongings in it. "I will accompany you, though. It will give us all a chance to get to know one another a bit better."
0 - Ray of Frost, Flare, Light, Mage Hand
1 - Shield x2, Shocking Grasp, Burning Hands

She asks, "What kind of shop is this place we are going to? What kind of materials do they carry?"

Oscar, in reply, looked up to Luna and said, "Allow me to quote the Guide to Highwind for the shop called, Many Things Wondrous." The red panda took a deep breath and then recalled. "The only shop in Highwind to offer an all-magical menu of items. Ben “The Giant” Barden works the smithy with his human, Dwarven, and Gnomish assistants performing custom weapon, shield, and armor work. He firmly does business only with Highwind’s proven adventurers, of which he keeps a close list.

"Misha, wife of Ben and once a locksmith, is a skilled appraiser of magical things and sells them skillfully. Anything from enchanted staves to rings to boots, people know this is the best place to come. Ben’s work is praised to be the best in the kingdom. He is the only human given the honor to regularly work on the Wemic’s sacred SoulForge."

Then the little scholar sighed and smiled with satisfaction.

"Well done," Sparkle clapped from her coiled position about Luna's neck and shoulders. "Your memory is impressive."

But Oscar brushed away the praise. "Oh. Just one word among many." Then to his mild surprise, he found himself licking his paw clean.

* * *​

Meanwhile, Mamapaw and Powerpaw turned to each other. They began mewing, meowing, and providing a great amount of body language in their facial expressions, ears, and tails. If the Felane had a language, they were certainly speaking it now. They seemed to be talking about Oreleth with Mamapaw attempting to convince Powerpaw of something. Hackles raised and teeth bared, Powerpaw seemed mildly angry while also trying to see his mother's point of view.

While they spoke, Bria watched them and learned. As she studied them, many thoughts flowed through her mind like clouds drifting across a blue horizon. Then the peaceful healer slowly gasped. "Eep!" Her face turned pale as if something staggering had dawned upon her. Slowly, she inched near Bren and Luna, clearly trying not to get the attention of either big cat.

"Oh dear... Umm, Bren? Luna?" she whispered. "I just remembered something... important. I'll be right back!" With that, Bria of the Ko hustled off in the direction of the Adventurers' Wagon. She ran with a haste would have made a horse proud. Between her heritage, her profession, and her magicked footwear, Bria ran and ran and soon was gone.

True to her word, the young monk sped back to the Wayward Wanderers with her long brown hair trailing in the wind behind her. Seeing things were as she had left them, she moved close to Bren and Luna. From within the folds of her robes, she discreetly showed the paladin and wizard a brown leathery satchel.

"Um, Bren? Do you remember the tales early on our adventures when we were fighting Bilal the Rich and his menagerie? Luna, do you recall Kitrin and I facing off Bilal's naga-girls inside the wagon while you were outside? Before we were truly allies with him, Stewart, bless his soul, bravely banished or slew them with... this."

Bria opened the drawstrings of the satchel just far enough for the Summerset lord and lady to see something heavy, unusual, and not at all from the ancient continent of Averlund...

"This is an idol. I don't think I ever mentioned it to Fuzzy Goof or Mamapaw. It's been with us in the wagon ever since Bilal fell. Stewart left it in my keeping. But it belongs with them..." Bria looked up, unsure, "...doesn't it?"

Bria looked to Bren and Luna in concern and confusion. The Ko monk simply did not know what to do, but she knew who she could count on to ask.

With Oscars' description of the store that they are going to, Luna's excitement grows. "That sounds delightful! I can't wait to see such a marvel."

Then Bria comes up to her and Bren with the bag and its precious cargo. Luna looks at the idol carefully, but does not touch. "I had forgotten about this, to be honest. Is this an idol to Bastet? If so, Melishav and Powerpaw are the rightful recipients for it, being that she is their Goddess. It would not feel right to me to sell it out from under their noses to someone that might profane it. If we are to vote on the disposition of this statue, I would heartily say to give it to the two of them as a gift and see what they wish to do with it. If it is just a cat statue and not one that is dedicated to their God, our friends may still want to have it and as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome to it."

She looks at the Ko monk with a smile. "You are one of the best people I know. Not everyone would hold onto something like this, thinking of others like you do. It gives me hope that goodness and light will prevail over evil and darkness. Thank you for helping to maintain my faith in people." She then gives the other woman a sisterly hug, knowing that anything less just won't feel good enough to convey her feelings.

Bren Sarabina
Standard AC: 23
Fort save: +13
Ref save: +8
Will save: +11
Current action points: 10
Current HP: 112
Status effects: none
Powerpaw's tower shield +1 (-2 to attack rolls)
Spells: 1st - Bless, Bless Weapon, Divine Favor, Lesser Restoration; 2nd - Bull's Strength, Delay Poison, Resist Energy; 3rd - Daylight, Prayer.
Speech color, for reference: #3399ff

Bren also looked at the cat statuette and nodded. "It definitely seems appropriate to place it in Felane hands," he agreed. "Why don't you and Luna explain about it to them, while I find Nivirea and get everyone moving towards Ben and Misha's?"

Assuming Bria and Luna agree, Bren then headed off in the direction he'd last seen the mercurial fae-blooded sorceress, hoping she hadn't gone too far. "Nivirea?" he called out, trying not to be so loud as to disturb the others in the temple.

.:| Nivirea - The Sorceress |:.

The girl stood in awe at the sight before her, breathing deeply and taking it all in; the sky, the city below, the dragons and their riders. As soon as the initial amazement subsided, her thoughts started to wander. She reflected on how she got to where she was, and farther back on her flight from Summerset, and finally on what she would put in her letter. She pondered the task at hand, which the others were likely discussing even now. Absentmindedly, she took off the gold ring from her finger and fiddled with it.

Upon hearing Bren's call, Nivirea turned around and faced him across the courtyard, acknowledging him with a single look before returning to stare over the ledge. Her feet remained firmly planted in the ground.

Bren walked over to join her in looking at the view for a few moments, then said, "We're about to head out to the shop. Will you come with us? I'm sure you'd find it interesting. But if you'd rather, you can stay and enjoy what's on offer here. Just, either way, please avoid using your arcane abilities, if possible? Most folk here aren't very familiar with non-divine magic, and it could cause a rather large fuss." He smiled, hoping she wouldn't take offense to that, since he was just trying to help her avoid trouble.

Possibly to Bren's great astonishment, the normally temperamental girl nodded meekly to what he just said. She wasn't even looking at him; her eyes were set upon the view, aimed at some undetermined point in the distance.

"I apologize for earlier," she told him without looking. Her chest rose and fell slowly, indicating that she was relaxed. "I didn't realize I overreacted until the look on your face told me." Then she did turn towards him. Her face wasn't exactly an icon of penitence, but it did give some weight to her apology. "And there's something else."

Sliding the golden ring between her fingers a few more times, she silently offered it to Bren on the palm of her hand.

Luna takes the golden cat statue carefully and walks over towards the two felines. "Mamapaw? Powerpaw? Could I get you over here for a moment? When we first met Powerpaw in the clutches of Bilal, Bria found something that we feel needs to be in your possession. We don't know if it is divine in nature, but it is something that feels like it should be handled by the two of you." She turns a bit to reveal the statue and offers it up to the two. "I hope that you forgive us for not getting this to you earlier." Luna looks at the two with a genuine smile, hoping that this is well received.

Wall of Energy for 10 rounds

Last edited:
Bren smiled. "Apology accepted," he replied, and then saw the ring she was offering. Accepting that as well, he held it up curiously and studied it, eyes widening as he recognized the insignia it bore. "You would be Nivirea Varelys, then?" he asked, with a bit of emphasis on the last name she hadn't shared previously. "Well, now, that makes three of us with ties to Summerset's nobility." He offered the ring back to her and tilted his head inquiringly. "Do you want me to continue to keep this secret for you? Or would you like the others in the group to be aware as well?"

Last edited:

"I'd rather it stays a secret. I'm telling you partially because you're the leader," she explained, "But mostly because you're Brendoran Sarabina. If anyone should understand, then it's you. You see, when I left Summerset three weeks ago, it was of my own accord. My family doesn't even know where I am. And my parents are certainly still looking for me. That's why this letter is so important."

She replaced the ring on her finger, studying Bren in silence. Then her face brightened up. She looked up at the sky for a second before settling on his eyes with a fond smile. "We almost met once, when we were younger," she said. "At a horse race near the city. I'm fairly certain our parents met, and you may even have met my sister, Niara. But not me. Unlike my sister, I was too wild to stay put long enough for pleasantries. I do remember seeing you from afar, though. Cé chomh fonnmhar a chomhlíonann muid go deireanach.1"

Having said that, the girl busied herself fixing the non-existent flaws in her appearance. Her smile only somewhat faded. "It won't be a problem, then? My situation?"

1 How fateful that we meet at last.

Bren shook his head. "I see no reason why it would," he replied, smiling down at her. "If you were being hunted, rightly or wrongly, for some crime, then we would of course need to be prepared for that, but that isn't the case here. Your letter should reassure your parents that you are at least pursuing a career of your own choosing. Perhaps you'd care to mention that you are in my company, and Luna's? If you think that would reassure them." He grinned wryly. "I'd leave out things like 'battling an evil goddess for control of a desecrated temple,' though. I doubt that would reassure them at all!"

"Oh!" she gasped a little. "I didn't even think of that... That actually would reassure them, I think."

However, all traces of the shy, contemplative Nivirea disappeared in the very next moment, when she gracefully closed the distance between herself and Bren. She placed one hand on his shoulder and the other seductively on his chest, looking up at him with the kind of foxy smile that really brought out her Fey features.

"To hear that I'm under the protection of the young Lord Sarabina," she cooed. "Yes, that should do it. Why, I think I'm reassured myself..."

"Dukhib" by Ishvari

Luna takes the golden cat statue carefully and walks over towards the two felines. "Mamapaw? Powerpaw? Could I get you over here for a moment? When we first met Powerpaw in the clutches of Bilal, Bria found something that we feel needs to be in your possession. We don't know if it is divine in nature, but it is something that feels like it should be handled by the two of you." She turns a bit to reveal the statue and offers it up to the two. "I hope that you forgive us for not getting this to you earlier." Luna looks at the two with a genuine smile, hoping that this is well received.

Both the giant hunting cats turned to the human wizard, their ears turning in her direction in curiosity as they listened. Then they saw the idol! Immediately, Mamapaw shrieked in surprise. Powerpaw let out a 'WHOOAAA!" They both looked like this....

Top_20_des_chats_les_plus_stylés_du_web_40.jpg
(Image credit: pinstake.com )

"WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?!" Mamapaw roared, turning the heads of nearly every commoner and Mielikkian within earshot, though Luna had already answered the question. Then she cringed in apology, her entire body shrinking a little, when she realized what a spectacle she had just made. "My pardon!" Her voice dropped to an insistent whisper. "Luna!! Where did you get this?!"

"Moooooom," Powerpaw rolled his eyes and sniffed the statuette, "Luna-face jus' said it was on Bilal da Evil-face's wagon!"

"Yes, but..." a low tiger-like growl briefly erupted from her throat. Her claws extended as she stared with bristling fur. "But where did he get it? Son.... if... if that vile fiend caused harm to even one of Bastet's faithful, why, I'll..."

Powerpaw protested. "You'll do whats, Mom? Bilal iz monster-noms! Dead az dead kin be!"

Mamapaw sighed, for this was all too true and she knew it. Mamapaw relaxed and knelt before the idol. Powerpaw knelt too. There, they both prostrated themselves before it, empty paws on the earth, their foreheads touching the green grass of EarthHome for one long moment. Then They looked up at the solid gold statuette. Realizing she was making no sense, Mamapaw just knelt in great respect and held out her huge paws. She took the offered cat statue with great reverence and utmost seriousness. "We... accept this responsibility, Luna, Bria."

Luna and Sparkle noticed Bria walk up beside them. Bria smiled at seeing the Felane's act of faith, for acts of humility heartened her.

Powerpaw's ears and whiskers rose as he realized the elf in the party might have no idea what was taking place. Even though he was on his knees, he was still more than a head taller than the wood elf. "Hay, fellow fighter-face, Bren-friend," he said to Oreleth. "Since yer joinin' our group, you oughta know, Mom an' I waz created by Bastet, da Rhumian goddess of Kitty-faces an' love an' all kindsa good stuff. We do her biddin' before anybuddy else's, includin' Bren, includin' Mielikki."

Bria added, "Well, I believe the idol has mystical powers of divine origin - after all, it either destroyed or banished Bilal the Rich's three dancers."

"It did?" Mamapaw gaped.

"Yes! The dancers were Yuan-Ti - Set's snake people!"

Mamapaw gasped. Powerpaw gawked. Both resisted the urge to spit as they were on holy ground. Instead, Powerpaw snarled something deadly.

Fast-forward to mark 0:40 if you like.

Sensing death-lust in the fearless Felane, some nearby butterflies, birds, and a group of human commoners made their way elsewhere, quick, fast, and in a hurry.*

This saying, "quick, fast, and in a hurry" is an old Sherwood-favorite of mine. He gets credit for it since I've never heard it said anywhere else. =)

"What happened?" Mamapaw requested of the Ko.

"Well," Bria, looking shy and unbothered by Powerpaw's show of anger, explained. "Bilal's women attacked Kitrin and I at the Grand Pool. Though outnumbered, hobbit-warrior Kitrin bravely put herself between them and me as they transformed into monsters with snake-torsos and reptilian alacrity. They weaved dark magic and slashed at us with twin curved short swords. Then Stewart, unarmored and unarmed, came running from behind them with this satchel," Bria patted the leather bag, "and one of the dancers struck him a death-blow in the chest with her sword."

"Stewart fell, but I cast upon him and restored him. The cat idol then shone a great light. The Yuan-Ti saw this and screamed great cries of despair. Then... they vanished in a heavenly golden light! Later, when all the action was over, Stewart approached me in private, thanking me and telling me he had picked up the statuette while he and Otiorin were drinking. He then told me that he would keep it with Arfy, Barfy, and Snarfy, our killer mimics, for safe-keeping. It was only now that I realized, it was there all along! I think I forgot to tell Bren about all this..."

"Speaking of our leader," Mamapaw rose with new resolve and Powerpaw with her, "Brendoran must know of this! Now where did he make it off to?"

All this took place waaay back in Chapter Two: Bilal's Menagerie. =)

I rolled to see if Oreleth knew what a killer mimic was, but the roll failed. Oreleth, like nearly all people who call the continent of Averlund home, would also have no idea what a Yuan-Ti is, nor of their creator, the Rhumian god of evil, Set.

Oreleth is not paying much attention to what Bria, Luna and the two large cat-people are up to, but all that changes when Mamapaw lets out her roar. Her martial training kicks in then, and she is immediately looking for the source of the potential threat. It soon becomes clear that there is no enemy, but some exchange is going on between the four of them over there. Not wanting to intrude, she stays a short distance away, suspecting that there is some strong emotions going on, and she is still an outsider to this group. I don't know exactly what I have gotten into here, but it will most certainly be interesting.

Bren Sarabina
Standard AC: 23
Fort save: +13
Ref save: +8
Will save: +11
Current action points: 10
Current HP: 112
Status effects: none
Powerpaw's tower shield +1 (-2 to attack rolls)
Spells: 1st - Bless, Bless Weapon, Divine Favor, Lesser Restoration; 2nd - Bull's Strength, Delay Poison, Resist Energy; 3rd - Daylight, Prayer.
Speech color, for reference: #3399ff

Bren's smile wavered as Nivirea's changing moods once again caught him off guard. "Uh, yes, well, I'm glad to be able to reassure your parents, and you of course," he said quickly. "But for now, the others are waiting, so we should rejoin them as soon as may be -- that's why I came looking for you in the first place, you know?" He gently took her hands in his and moved them off his shoulder and chest, then turned her (and himself) to head back to the others before letting go. He was careful not to let go too quickly, lest she feel repulsed or rejected. After all, she was very pretty, and nice enough when she wanted something, but he didn't really want to get involved with someone he'd known for so short a time, even if they'd seen each other once or twice in Summerset.

A half-formed grin remained on her face as she allowed Bren to manipulate her off him and around. The look in her eyes was alive and playful. She seemed satisfied and in good spirits.

"M-hm. Let's be on our way, then," she said, leading the way.

Cats have only so much patience. Whether they be big or small, old or young, each and every feline has their limit. Powerpaw tried to practice his while he waited for Brendoran and Nivirea to return.

First, the masculine Felane tried licking his black and white-furred paws, for they smelled of grass and flowers and pretty things and they should have instead smelled like ferocious gladiator cat instead. Then he tried counting the flowers on a nearby flowerbed. When this failed, he attempted, from afar, to count the number of arrows in Oreleth's quiver. Then he yawned and frowned impatiently.

His attempts to practice his patience had lasted for an entire 14 seconds.

His tail flashed about. His teeth bared in frustration. His muscles flexed in the desire to pounce and spring on something that had it coming. Finally, the warrior yelled across the Mielikkian refuge in the direction where he had last seen the paladin wander.

"HAY BREN! C'MOOOOOOOOOON! WE GOTTA GO BUY STUFF TA KILL BAD GUYS WIF AND DEN KILL LOTSA BAD GUYYYYYYS!"

"Son!" came his mother's admonishing growl. She rose up from her prayer before the golden cat idol. "RRRrrrr!! You are on gentle Mielikki's own holy ground! Now mind your manners!"

Powerpaw cringed, realizing his wrong. Silently, he lowered his head in silent apology. Then he turned back in the direction where he had last seen Brendoran go. With flashing tail, bared fangs, and clenching claws, he cupped his paws and said....

"HAY BREN! C'MOOOOOOOOOON! WE GOTTA GO BUY STUFF TA KILL BAD GUYS WIF AND DEN KILL LOTSA BAD GUYYYYYYS!"

Bria of the Ko patted his arm comfortingly as she walked by. The brown-haired young woman had always known Powerpaw to be the impatient sort and it was a source of amusement for her, for patience was not something that one could teach - either one practiced it or one did not.

"Oreleth? Luna?" Bria's voice was as soft as her heart. "If you don't have the funds for something you want, I could let you borrow some of mine? The rest I have has to go to the orphanage." Bria's offer was performed with open hands and a kind expression.

Luna smiles at Bria. "Thank you for the kind offer, my friend, but unless we come across a Rod of Flame Extinguishing, I have plenty to take care of my needs. I am truly looking forward to this wondrous shop."

Wall of Energy for 10 rounds

"Oreleth? Luna?" Bria's voice was as soft as her heart. "If you don't have the funds for something you want, I could let you borrow some of mine? The rest I have has to go to the orphanage." Bria's offer was performed with open hands and a kind expression.
With a slight bow, the elf warrior offers up her thanks. "That is very kind, and much appreciated. If there is something that I see of interest, I may take you up on your offer."

Bren laughed when Powerpaw's shout (and its softer echo) reached his ears. "It seems at least one person is grown impatient!" he commented to Nivirea as they made their way back to the others.

"All right," he said on arriving at the group. "If everyone's ready, let's get ourselves moving! One last bit of advice before we leave the temple, however," he added, looking particularly at Luna and Oroleth. "The people of Highwind are rather nervous around arcane magics, so it's best to avoid casting them within the city. It's not that they don't like mages, it's just that they find divine magic more understandable. Anyway, if you ladies," and he clearly meant Luna, Oroleth, and Nivirea (particularly the first two because he'd already mentioned this to Nivirea), "would please refrain from casting in public as much as possible, it would avoid a lot of ruckus." He smiled, then gestured toward the temple entrance. "Shall we go?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back