• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter Eight: Reflections and The Highest Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glider nods to Luna, accepting her offer. "It never hurts to have another able mind on these matters." With that, he heads over to a wide open spot near the fireplace where you have plenty of room and plenty of light. Nearby, the Meadowsweets peer and giggle curiously.

Leonard Wolf - The Ranger

Shape: Human

Spell 1: Delay Poison

Spell 2: Entangle

Spell 3: /

Favored Terrain: No

Meat or Fish: Meat

Preferred Dice: Black or Red

"The Cudgel of the Wayfarer?" Wolf joined the conversation. The ranger remembered the artifact well, like everything else that happened on the day it was used. He walked over to one of the chairs by the pool and sat down. And then started recollecting. "The last time I saw it, it was firing a beam blacker than Bilal's accursed soul right at him. But I thought that it had served its purpose back and then and that was it." He looks up inquisitively at Otiorin.

Dannigan said:
For the second and final time, the Cudgel of the Wayfarer hums and trembles in Otiorin's hand. A beam blacker than Bilal's soul fires out, striking the merchant's coveted dragon-headed rod. Bilal screams like his hand is on fire and the rod quakes like a thing possessed. Then it is still and suddenly quite ordinary-looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otiorin followed Glider's instructions, but found it easier to settle into the trance-like state of introspection. Memories of his Elven instructors drifted across the tranquil pool of his mind, chiding him to settle his creativity and allow random thoughts to drift away. His breathing settled automatically into the rhythm Glider instructed and he focussed on the raw well of potential that existed within him.

As he opened his eyes and looked into the pool, he saw himself with claws and fangs extended and his eyes orbs of pure silver. As he watched, a pair of majestic wings rose up over his shoulders then spread wider until they encompassed the width of the pool. Even as they reached their greatest extent, a majestic silver dragon's head on a long, powerful neck rose up over his own and the wings flapped as if to bear the partly concealed dragon into the air. Otiorin blinked and when he opened his eyes again the vision was gone, leaving only the image of him stood in his towel in the shimmering water.

As talk turned to the identification of the magical objects they had recovered over the time of their journey to Highwind, Wolf mentioned the Wayfarer's Cudgel. Otiorin nodded and went over to the next of pillows he habitually slouched in and rooted around between them. He laughed triumphantly as he retrieved his Bag of Holding and took the magical stave from within.

Bria skips after Otiorin. She drapes her arms about him, hugging him from behind affectionately. "Hooray! Look what our sharp-eyed rogue found, everybody!" She points at his Bag of Holding coming out of the pile of pillows. "Oh boy! Buried treasure!" On a whim and a twirl of her fingers, she casts an orison on the cudgel he produces. "Soo Yashai!"

"Soo Yashai!" = "Praise the Heavens!"

Bria's gives a little surprised gasp. "Hey! The cudgel is still radiating magic! But I thought it was all gone? Glider?" She turns to him and finds the monk already coming to investigate. Glider kneels and examines the cudgel closely.

After long, long moments of study, both monks turn to one another and nod.

"What have you found?"

"Well, the magic is general, belonging to no school. This weapon was used to disrupt magic when we fought Bilal the Rich."

Glider looks up. "Disrupt or negate?"

"Hmm. I think negate is the better word. Bilal's enchanted rod wasn't so enchanted after that."

"Command word? Beam of energy like a starless night?"

"Uh huh!"

"O.K." Glider's manner is calm and thoughtful. "So it functioned as a Wand of Negation. And now it contains a general sort of magic. Is it light? Moderate? Strong?"

"Moderate, I'm certain."

"I've seen weapons like this used by the Highwind Rangers. They appear simple and ordinary, but hit a lot harder than they appear, much to the surprise and woe of those struck." Glider snaps his fingers and grins. "So we have a magical club of moderate enchantment that strikes with powerful impact, like that of a greatclub."

"What of its powers as a Wand of Negation?"

"Gone. Such a wand cannot be recharged. At least, I've never seen or heard of one that could be."

The Cudgel of the Wayfarer is a medium-sized Club +2 that inflicts 1d10+2 bludgeoning damage on a successful hit (as opposed to the d6 of a normal club).

Luna looks over the Cudgel with detached interest. "Fascinating. Hmm. Powerpaw, didn't you have your last weapon destroyed in combat? Perhaps you can make use of this."

Bren smiles at Luna. "Excellent idea! I wonder... if Powerpaw takes up the cudgel while in his 'smaller' form, and then shifts to his normal size, oughtn't that make it properly sized for him?"

Luna looks thoughtful. "Could be. I know with my Enlarge Person spell, it does affect the gear, armor and weapons of the person it is used on. The Cudgel might resize with Powerpaw when he changes, too. Why don't you take the Cudgel and give it a try? Worst thing that will happen is that it doesn't work, right?"

Powerpaw returns with armload of items in a brown leather sack. These he carefully deposits on the floor before Luna and Glider. His ears flatten and his eyes narrow in doubt when he is first asked to take up the enchanted cudgel. That is, until Bren speaks up. Then his expression brightens considerably and that large furry tail begins to swish back and forth. "Hay! Dat's a great idea! Da Wayfarer smacker iz too small nows, but if I kin make it my size... Wow! How you tink of dis stuff, Bren-face?"

Glider taps the side of his temple as if wondering if he heard right. "Wait... you can change an item's size?"

"Yah, I tink... Uh, summertime Faerie-faces gave me dis gift, see? It means Moar. It workeded wif Bren's shirt... but we nevar tried it on magic stuffs until nows."

Powerpaw takes up the Cudgel of the Wayfarer and examines it with great scrutiny while his mother looks on fondly.

"So... All I gotta do iz not screw dis ups. Jus' changes..." He closes his eyes and concentrates.

"Fuzzy Goof! But you're your natural size now. Shouldn't you--"

But the warning comes too late.

*POOF!* In a puff of cloudy white vapor, Powerpaw becomes medium-sized. The club in his hand is now small-sized. But Powerpaw?

Powerpaw reacts much like Saber the Panther and Alex the Tiger (That'sa Lotta Cat!).

[media]
[/media]
Before you know it, Powerpaw is rolling on his back, pawing at the air, with this silly grin across his face while making "OOohhhOOHHhhh!" sounds. "Mooomm, ya gotta haz somma dis! Guyz! Stick yer face in da cloud! WHOOOOAOAOAaaa!"

Meanwhile, the cloud does not stay long, Mamapaw stares at her kid with this "not again!" look on her face. She facepaws while the Meadowsweets point and stare in playful awe.

"Would you look at that!"

Glider appears as pleased as he is puzzled. The monk turns to anyone who might have an answer and asks with a wide amused grin... "What... just happened?"

Bria gasps. "I tried to warn him!" She has this look on her face that says, "Oh dear..."

Meanwhile, Powerpaw is now licking the Cudgel of the Wayfarer. *slurp slurp slurp*

Non-stop.

"OOhhHhHHoooooHHH!"

What do you do?

"What do we do?" Wolf asks, mildly amused from his perch. "No, wait... I just got a better question. Is this going to keep happening every time he transforms, even in battle?"

Luna does her best to cover her mouth to hide the smile that she has at the sight of Powerpaw rolling about. "I certainly hope not. It is fortunate that he doesn't need to shift size often. But the good news is that the Cudgel resized itself when Powerpaw did, we just need to make a few . . . adjustments to it."

Bren outright laughs at the sight. "Well, at least we know it works! Glider, I believe Luna told you about the Daughters of Summertime? They granted each of us a boon, and that is Powerpaw's - to change to size closer to human and back. I had intended that he let go of the cudgel before he, well, shrank, but I suppose it will still work; he'll just have to go through a couple extra changes first. The scent of the change, I suppose is the Daughters' little joke? He certainly enjoys it!"

Wooo wooo! The Railroad is still chuggin' down the tracks! Clang that bell! "Ding ding!" =)

Location: Inside the Wanderers' Wagon (Dining Room) on The Road of Kings (5 days north of Summerset)

Travel time to Highwind: On day 5 of 14.

Travel time to Melshaef's Tree: On day 3 of 3.

Saturday, September 20th, 1118. Time: 8:00 p.m.

Weather: The Wanderers don't know unless someone goes outside.

While Powerpaw frolics about, Glider chuckles and asks, "So... I'd ask Powerpaw this, but he's so... preoccupied... I take it he can reverse this process to return to his normal form?"

"Yep!" Bria says as she plays with Otiorin's hair.

"How often can he do this?"

"As often as he likes, I think."

Sparkle watches the Felane warrior with amusement. "With more transformations come more clouds of catnip, or so I gather."

"Mooooar!!" Powerpaw gleefully squeaks like a kitten.

Glider rests his chin on his thumb and thinks a moment. "So... the cloud. Is it stationary when he transforms? I mean... Say he was moving at fast speed and triggered the change. Might he evade the cloud and its effects?"

"Oh gosh, I would have never thought of that on my own. Let's find out! Powerpaw?"

"OOOhhhOOHHOO...?!"

"Stand up, please?"

It takes Stumblekitty Powerpaw four tries before he makes it.

Bria points. "See the far side of the pool? Would you please run as fast as you can toward it and transform before you get there?"

"Whoakay!"

Powerpaw bounds along gleefully murmuring "in da faaaaace!" all the way on all fours and somehow manages not to careen into the pool. His bounds quickly turn into an all-out run. As he darts along, there is suddenly another white puff of cloud. Bursting through it comes the furry warrior in his natural size. The cudgel reverts to normal size. The big cat turns about and faces the cloud behind him. "Ooh!" he points and licks at nothing. "Iz over there!"

"It works!" Sabrefang cries. "My son does not have to turn into a silly kitten when he changes size!"

Bria asks Powerpaw put the Cudgel of the Wayfarer down (the hard part is to get him to stop licking it; evidently, the hardy weapon is covered in catnip). The process of Powerpaw running and shifting into his medium-sized form again takes place, but this time, it is with Powerpaw running another length of the Grand Pool. Bria releases Otiorin with a squeeze and follows Powerpaw along the pool. She picks up the club, takes a towel to it, and hands it back to Powerpaw. They are both medium-sized when she asks him to run yet another length of the pool (by now he has almost circled the pool).

With another speedy transformation, Powerpaw returns to his normal size and the Cudgel of the Wayfarer is now large-sized.

A normal club does d6 damage. The cudgel's increased damage takes it two steps above this to d10.

Now that the cudgel is large-sized, it should be mentioned that a large-sized one-handed club does d8 damage. Two steps above this increases the damage to 2d6. Therefore, the Cudgel of the Wayfarer when large-sized inflicts 2d6+2 damage on a successful hit, whether used as a one-handed weapon for a large creature or a greatclub for a medium-sized creature.)

In the end, Bria and Powerpaw return hand-in-paw to the party. Powerpaw sits down and places the cudgel before Otiorin (who had it originally) while Bria returns and glomps Otiorin from behind again without hesitation.

"Luna, you haz good idea. If kitty-face cannot haz maul, den a big piece'a knotted wood will haz ta do!"
He looks around the party. "Iz O.K., evwiebody?"

By this time, Stewart returns with a small four-wheeled cart carrying many items. These he begins to wheel to the center of the party. Then he unobtrusively deposits a glass of chardonnay near Otiorin's hand while ringing it once with a glass of his own. "Glad to see you in good cheer, old chap. Here's to you, my drinking buddy." Stewart grins wide with pleasure and drinks.

Meanwhile, Bria casts her simple orison again and looks to Luna for her help while Glider examines each of the magical items carefully. Questions arise as the three adventurers huddle...

I rolled Luna's Spellcraft rolls here with my dice along with Bria and Glider's checks. Between the three of you, you did pretty well!

In about an hour's time, the Wanderers have the following items to distribute.

- The Cudgel of the Wayfarer +2 (currently large-sized, dealing 2d6 damage on a successful hit).

- 6 Shortswords +1, +3 vs. good-aligned creatures.

From Stewart's cart, these wicked-looking curved short swords with gold-colored sheaths and tassels, definitely not of Summerset origin. These swords cause triple-damage on a critical hit when they successfully strike a good-aligned creature. These were the swords wielded by Bilal the Rich's dancing "women." During the fight between the snake-women versus Bria and Kitrin, one of the women used one of these swords to nearly kill Stewart.

- 6 Potions of Fast Healing 7. Powerpaw describes these as "troll-potions."

Half a dozen putrid brown-and-green potions in large cork-stoppered vials. When one of these disgusting "viles" is opened and choked down your character's throat, your character will heal 7 hit points every round at the beginning of his turn for a number of rounds not known to you. This rate of hit point regeneration surpasses even that of normal trolls. Powerpaw explains that this is how the horrid ettin Dubble Trubble cheated his way to victory when they were both gladiators.

- 2 Potions of Invisibility. Each has an 8 minute duration unless the effect is broken prematurely (by, say, violent action).

Again from Dubble Trubble's trove, these long metal containers hold fluid that smells strongly of marsh weeds, mint, and aromatic cloves. Even if you do decide to drink this, a chaser is recommended so that whomever you're trying to fool doesn't smell you...

- A Scabbard of Keen Edges. This scabbard's effects last for 1 hour per command.

Another treasure from Dubble Trubble's trove, this scabbard is the friend of rogues and warriors alike.

Scabbard of Keen Edges

Aura faint transmutation; CL 5th

Slot —; Price 16,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Description

This scabbard can shrink or enlarge to accommodate any knife, dagger, sword, or similar weapon up to and including a greatsword. Up to three times per day on command, the scabbard casts keen edge on any blade placed within it.

Construction Requirements

Craft Wondrous Item, keen edge; Cost 8,000 gp

- A Longsword +2, +4 vs. Giant-blooded.

You may recall that Powerpaw is wearing this sword on his hip since none of the other Wanderers claimed it; that oversized catnip-addict has placed it here in case someone does.

Beyond this, there are currently only two items not yet spoken for (that I recall at this late hour). One is Otiorin's "bauble" taken during the Ambush on the Road of Kings from the leader of the Wee Jas monk/mages; that is up to Cap'n to produce as Otiorin is the only character who knows about it.

There is yet another special as-yet unidentified magical item here in the wagon, but let us see if any of the players thinks of it, shall we? =)

Luna sits back, feeling quite satisfied with herself for her work in identifying the various items. "Powerpaw, I'm glad that the Cudgel shifts size with you so well. You are one of our best melee fighters, and as such, you should have access to the best weapons that you can use. Personally, none of the items except for the potions are things that I can use, so you can divvy them up amongst yourselves. However, I would like to lay claim to one of the Troll Potions, with the hope that I never have to actually drink that vile concoction. But, having it could save not only my life in a pinch, but someone else's when Bria can use her healing magic on another person. Perhaps a Potion of Invisibility, also. I can see (or rather, not see!) that coming in handy, too."

Otiorin watched Powerpaw's antics with a bemused smile, luxuriating in the sensation of Bria's fingers across his scalp and through his hair. He wistfully watched as she disengaged from him to help the warrior Felane alter the Wayfarer's Cudgel and then watching sat watching in interest as the spoils they had taken from the various beasts they had defeated were identified. As his fellow adventurers stood over the treasures and Stewart provided him with a hearty glass of a good wine, he remembered something. He rose and padded over to his armor that sat steaming by a fire and retrieved the small bauble that he'd stowed within it.

"All that's left is this, I suppose.", he replied, walking back to the group, turning the small object over in his hands.

Once the analytics were done Wolf walked over to the pile to have a look, but with not much interest in his eyes. He looked like someone had served him a less than favorite dish and now he was about to pick it apart to see if there was anything worthwhile in it. "I suppose I'll have one of those healing potions. They can't be that bad, right?" The ranger looked at Powerpaw for reassurance.

After that he glanced at Bren. "Bren? You looking to use that sword or not?"

Bren smiles, watching Bria and Powerpaw's antics. "It looks to be in good hands with you, Powerpaw, and there seem to be no objections. Yours it is!" He listens interestedly as the monk, the healer, and the mage put their heads together to identify the rest, seeming at least as impressed (if not more) by their ability to do so as by any of the items themselves. "Nicely done!" He looks over the assortment. "Vile as they may taste, I think each of us adventurers ought to have one in case of emergency." He glances around the group, counting Bria, Wolf, Powerpaw, Luna, Otiorin, and Mamapaw, with a nod to himself. "One short, but I've got the healing ointment that I can use instead." He continues to stare at the pile of magic items, but pulls his attention away when Wolf asks his question. "I can put it to good use, certainly, and giants are among my favorite enemies, but I already have one magical melee item. How fare you in that regard?" Powerpaw is set now, Bria and Luna don't really need melee weapons, and Otiorin has his Summer-blessed elven blade.

www.bling-gems.com[/URL])

- Three times per day, when its player rolls a 1-4 on a d20, the player may elect to reroll once. The second roll result stands even if it is worse than the first (Take that, RpNation dice roller! =) ).

- This stone of good luck adds +1 to all saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks ensuring a favorable fortune indeed.

Bria smiles up to Otiorin. "Wow!"

[/SPOILER]

"If you don't need need it, I'll try to put it to good use." Wolf replied to Bren, reaching and holding up the longsword to get a better look at it. "I was hoping to pick up a decent blade once we got to Highwind - don't want to depend solely on my bow - but this probably trumps anything I could afford. We'll see. Thanks." He nodded and pocketed one of the troll vials hesitantly before stepping aside from the pile to signal being done with it.

The ranger stood on the sidelines inspecting his new sword while observing the two Felane at work at the same time. If someone new just walked in, he'd think those two were trying to kill each other.

Brendoran, human fighter/ranger

Standard AC: 27

Fort save: +11

Ref save: +7

Will save: +4

Current action points: 5

Current HP: 78/78

Status effects: none

Powerpaw's tower shield +1

(-2 to attack rolls)

Spell: /

Bren shakes his head firmly in response to Mamapaw's question. "Healers can be deprived of their power, whether through accident or intent, as Bria was in our last battle. I'd like each of us to have a means of healing that didn't depend on the casting of spells, just in case."

He nods to Wolf. "Wear it in good health then, and let our foes beware!"

Smiling, he turns to Otiorin as the blue stone is named. "You're the only half-elf here, friend." He glances around the party. "Anyone else here think it ought to go to him? Perhaps it'll break the run of bad luck he's been working under."

He looks over the pile of unclaimed magical gear. "I'm thinking either Otiorin or Wolf ought to take that scabbard. The rest of us are mainly casters or use weapons other than blades. Either of you want it? And there are two potions of Invisibility; perhaps one to our rogue and one to our wizard?"

Again, he looks around the group. His tone, in regards to stone, scabbard, and Invisibility potions, has been mildly suggestive throughout, and his expression likewise. Clearly he is trying to move the discussion along, but still leave it open to other ideas.

"I'm happy with that.", Otiorin smiled, tossing the sparkling bauble into the air, before juggling it using his elbows, wrists, knees and feet. He finally flicked it high into the air and caught it in his open mouth, pretending to swallow it.

"I'm already feeling my luck getting better.", he chuckled, cheekily patting Bria on the behind in passing.

He looked over the remaining magic items with a weather eye.

"I think I shall help myself to that potion, and the scabbard if our good master ranger is not minded to claim it. While Moonlit Edge's current scabbard is quite snug, she's ever willing to find herself better accommodation."

And we'll stop the Railroad there. Thank you for taking the Sharseya Express! Hope you enjoyed the ride. =)

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]"I'm already feeling my luck getting better.", he chuckled, cheekily patting Bria on the behind in passing.

[/QUOTE]Bria's bark-brown eyes widen as Rin pats her, followed by a little blush and a knowing smile that shows she does not mind his attention in the least. Bria relaxes against the cushions. "If your fortune in combat matched your courage, Rin, you would have no need of such items. Still, I'm glad you have it. It's so much better in your hands than the Wee Jas."
The longsword in Wolf's hand is well-balanced and very sharp with but a few notches along its superb edge. The base of the sword's handle is designed to resemble an elk's hoof, promising nasty pommel strikes. Just holding such a fine weapon can be confidence-instilling.

Powerpaw and Sabrefang soon take a break. The many events of the day are taking their toll and the need for sleep begins to drape its nightly cloak about the party. Sabrefang listens to Bren's counsel and pockets one of the Troll-potion vials. "Oh, I hope we never run into those Wee Jas people again. Dastardly fiends! It is enough to remind a Kitty-face of Set worshippers back home in Rhumia. What a foul thought!"

Stewart rises, wine glass in hand, and provides a simple tour of the the Wanderers' Wagon. He retires the cart and the six swords upon it to the study. Room by room starting with the Grand Pool, Stewart efficiently provides eye-opening details about the wagon's construction and origin. His voice takes on a note of pride when he explains that this wagon is indeed one of a kind.

Upon the tour's closure, the Wanderers know the basics of the wagon and know where each room lies. Those who wish to enjoy dinner certainly may do so or forego it as their needs permit. As the evening draws to a close, the Meadowsweets finish up cleaning the dining room and kitchen and disappear. Stewart heads outside from time to time. Powerpaw, Sabrefang, and Bria chat about the day's events from each of their different perspectives.

What do you do?

Otiorin recovered his now-dry pants from the room which was ostensibly 'his' and returned to the pool room. Once there, he curled up in his nest and introduced Moonlit Edge to her new scabbard. At first, the blade slid in and rattled around alarmingly, but the magic of the scabbard kicked in and it resized itself to fit every curve of the Elf-forged blade. Moonlit Edge's original scabbard was carefully returned to the cloth wrappings from whence the weapon had come and gently returned to his bag of holding. This done, he relaxed with a glass of the fine wine Stewart had provided and drowsed.

During the tour of the Wagon, Luna feels a gentle tug I on her hand from Wolf. Her eyes glitter in excitement as the gruff ranger pulls her into his room. "My goodness! Are you planning on having your way with me? Ravaging my poor virginal self?" She places the back of her hand against her forehead, grinning as she swoons back into his arms. "Oh, woe is me! Whatever will I do?"

Favored Terrain: Yes (Luna)

Meat or Fish: Luna

The flash in Wolf's eyes was nothing short of predatory. "You've brought this upon yourself, Luna Callen." he said, tightening his arms around her. Then he brought his lips close to her ear from behind and whispered: "Your magic tricks won't save you now." And he snapped his teeth together to empower the threat. Immediately after, however, he proceeded to gently kiss the most sensitive area of her neck, toying with her senses while he kept her locked in his grasp.

Location: Inside the Wanderers' Wagon (Dining Room) on The Road of Kings (5 days north of Summerset)

Travel time to Highwind: On day 5 of 14.

Travel time to Melshaef's Tree: On day 3 of 3.

Saturday, September 20th, 1118. Time: 10:00 p.m.

Weather: The Wanderers don't know unless someone goes outside.

Sherwood said:
"My goodness! Are you planning on having your way with me? Ravaging my poor virginal self?"
[QUOTE="Wolf Rawrrr]
"Your magic tricks won't save you now." And he snapped his teeth together to empower the threat.

[/QUOTE]
Meanwhile, Sparkle says, "Do you mind? I am more than happy to hop off my familiar's neck and leave you two alone..."

JUST KIDDING! Ha ha! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back