• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Call of the Wyld (with tiffybone92)

Roleplay Type(s)
Finnarion Swift preferred the simple things in life. A hearty meal of fish, grain, and berries for dinner. A warm bedroll by the fire. A canopy of stars above him. These things gave him joy, true joy, in a way that other things couldn't. Fresh air, a babbling brook, warm sunshine. It was heaven.

Pure hell, therefore, was the city of Eldoria.

The name sounded as hellish as it was. The buildings were made of magnificent stone, but most of it looked like it hadn't seen a good rainstorm in a while. The people, well-dressed though they were, milled through the streets like ants in an anthill, frantic and hurried. The horses were tied off and sweating in the summer heat, the pigeons scrambling for crumbs on the ground.

Hell.

It was hot inside the carriage too. Finn, claustrophobic and too tall for the carriage seat he'd been forced to climb into, opened the window, and immediately gagged. The smell was awful.

“All right back there, lad?” The carriage driver called through the window, no doubt hearing Finn’s coughing. He was the handsomest, most refined carriage driver Finn had ever seen. The man had perfectly coifed golden hair, an elegant uniform of gold-embroidered wool, and white gloves to hold the reins.

Finn, meanwhile, couldn’t have looked more different. His muscular frame bore a simple traveler’s tunic, comfortable brown trousers, and soft-soled brown boots. His hair was clean, but long and dark brown, braided in sections. He was fresh-faced, at least, tanned and freckled, with kind brown eyes, expressive eyebrows, and a charmingly hooked nose. His ears weren’t quite as long or as pointy as the driver’s, but they sported a few modest silver earrings.

Most people would call him handsome. People in Eldoria would call him a barbarian.

“How much longer till the Citadel, sir?” Finn asked the driver, his eyes watering, his usual baritone raspy.

“Approximately a quarter hour,” the man answered back, his accent distinctly strange. Proper, Finn supposed.

He grimaced. “Thank you,” Finn said, ducking his head back into the carriage, wishing—now more than ever—that he hadn’t been the one chosen for this mission.

Cedric jolted to a start, raising his head quickly as he attempted to blink away sleep. He lay tangled in his satin sheets, sprawled awkwardly sideways on his large bed. Just what was that awful, loud banging at the door and why-

As his pale blue eyes shifted into focus, he scanned his expansive (and expensive) room, clumsily attempting to find the cause of the noise. Still only half-awake, Cedric noted the sun peeking through his window was too bright, and he had to squint his eyes to keep them from burning, although he could already feel the pounding in his head.

Which matched, unfortunately, the firm pounding at his door. And once his consciousness finally reached the appropriate level of functioning, his mind finally put the two facts together.

“Oh, fuck!”

Cedric threw his tangled blankets off of his body, scrambling quickly to open his door. He tripped halfway on something in the floor and fell hard on the cold marble. “Fuck me!” he yelled, immediately feeling a shooting pain in his left knee and wrist. But he didn’t have time to dwell on that. He clambered towards the ornate wooden door, thrusting it open to see-

“Ridoc!” Cedric yelled at the manservant, pulling him roughly into his chambers and slamming the door behind him. “Why didn’t you wake me earlier, you absolute cuck?!”

Ridoc blinked and then his skin, though a quite a few shades darker than Cedric’s own, blushed a deep shade of pink. “Sir,” he said hesitantly, his already high tenor voice threatening to reach another octave, “You’re, uh… naked, sir.”

“Well, help me dress then!” replied Cedric, beginning to rummage through his massive closet for a set of formal robes. He didn’t have time to be properly embarrassed. “You knew I had promised my father I would be at this stupid meeting today!”

“Well, yes, sir,” said Ridoc meekly, carefully averting his eyes from anything below Cedric’s waist and running to fetch a pair of leather boots to match Cedric’s finely embroidered robes. “But you had told me last time I awoke you that you would ‘kill me in my sleep the next time I bothered you at such an ungodly hour.’”

“I did?” said Cedric, frowning, throwing on the jade green robe. “Sounds a bit dramatic of me.”

“Hm,” started Ridoc, kneeling to help Cedric into his boots. “You may have been rather hungover that morning, sir.”

Ceric laughed bitterly. “Well, that does sound right, then,” he said, quickly sitting into the large-backed chair in front of his vanity so that Ridoc could begin on his hair.

He glanced at his reflection, his long, white blonde hair still disheveled from sleep. There were bags under his eyes, the hue of them closely matching the blue in his eyes. Still, despite this, he was devilishly handsome, and for once in his life he was grateful for those purely bred genetics. It meant less time was needed to make him look presentable.

As Ridoc pulled a comb through his straight, snowy hair, Cedric swiftly placed gold and pearl drop earrings into his pointed ears and golden rings onto his fingers, the moonstone and jade bezels flashing at the tops.

“Just what time is it, Ridoc?” asked Cedric, unable to turn to look at his clock.

“Uh, half- past eleven, sir.”

“Oh, fuck!!” exclaimed Cedric, pushing Ridoc off of his hair and standing suddenly. “I have to go now or else my father will kill me.”

“At least if you’re dead you can’t ‘kill me in my sleep!’” yelled Ridoc to Cedric as he rushed down the hallway, slightly limping.

“My corporeal form would still find a way!” Cedric shouted back.

But his hungover, tired, physical body would have to try and make it through this meeting first. And that would be a feat in itself.

“He’s not usually this late.” The temporary representative for the Arcane Council, an anxious young woman, said from across the polished mahogany table.

Finn nodded. “I’m sure.” Half an hour he had sat here at this table, mostly staring at his reflection in its mirror-shine surface. For the first five minutes or so, his heart had been frantic, a fox caught in a trap. But after the first twenty minutes alone, it had settled into a slow, irritated rhythm.

The council room was beautiful, at least. The high domed ceiling was held up by intricate marble pillars, and clean white walls that echoed each throat clearing Finn used to break the uncomfortable silence. Scarlet velvet curtains hung from stain glass windows, and the floors were tiled and immaculately waxed.

Still, Finn knew he was frowning. Knew his hands were curled into fists below the table. But this matter was important. And not just to him—to everyone.

The fact that some rich nobleman’s son didn’t take it seriously made him want to scream.

In the distance, soft harp music played.

“Did you try the wine?” the blonde-haired woman asked, desperate for another attempt at small talk. Finn looked up. Was she related to the Luminous Chancellor, Cedric Beauchamp? She’d introduced herself with her name and title, but Finn, busy trying not to throw up, had forgotten them both.

He reached out to turn the fine golden goblet. His fingers were calloused, rough against the smooth metal. “Not yet. I don’t usually drink…so early.” His voice sounded…strange in his ears here. Almost wrong.

It was probably the echo. Eldorians had strange ideas around acoustics.

“I would appreciate some water, though,” he said, sending an apprehensive glance to a servant, who sniffed in disapproval before striding out of the room.

Finn’s frown deepened. He glanced back, again, to the arched entrance of the room, for what must have been the fiftieth time.

The Luminous Chancellor would no doubt make it fifty-one.

As he rushed towards the Council Room, Cedric wracked his brains in futility, trying to remember what this supposed “important” meeting was to be about. He and his father had had a conversation about it (or maybe two or three), but the memory was foggy, with only a few morsels worth any note coming to the surface. Things like “environment,” and “wood elf representative,” or something or another. He couldn’t have been bothered at the time, he was sure, but his present self still wished his past had paid a bit more attention.

He quickly rounded a corner down another long hallway, sighing as he gave up on his incredibly subpar recollection. He would just have to wing it. And, thankfully, he had become rather good at “winging it,” the years growing up at this tedious court training him well.

Cedric paused just before the high archway of the council room, giving himself a quick moment to collect himself. After a few deep and ragged breaths, he straightened his shoulders and attempted to set his expression to a more confident one before walking in.

However, who he found waiting there for him was unlike anyone or anything he had ever encountered.

As he entered the highly domed council room, Cedric quickly noted the tall, stocky wood elf sitting impatiently at the long mahogany table near the center of the room. He was dressed simply, wearing only a tunic, and plain brown trousers. He was much tanner than Cedric, and while his expression was clearly of one who was very annoyed, the elf’s brown eyes held a sincere warmth and kindness that Cedric wasn’t used to. Had never been used to.

And, unfortunately, it was seeing this unassuming wood elf sitting so humbly and undemanding that was Cedric’s undoing. How was he supposed to act when one wasn’t cold and sneering? When they weren't conniving and scheming? It stopped him in his tracks.

Cedric realized a beat too late that he had been standing open mouthed like a fool in the entranceway for a minute too long. “Fuck,” he thought to himself, and he hastily strode towards the table, sitting down wearily and grabbing for a goblet of wine. “Pull your bloody self together, Cedric.”

He cleared his throat, the awkwardness of it ricocheting off every damn surface of the vast room. “Apologies for my tardiness,” he began, trying desperately to look anywhere but those soft brown eyes. “Another appointment kept me a little long,” he lied, taking a sizable gulp of the wine. He couldn’t taste it, but it kept his mouth a little less dry than it already was.

“You must already know who I am,” he said, although he immediately regretted it as he heard the immense pretentiousness of it bounce off the walls. He continued, however. “Luminous Chancellor Cedric Beauchamp at your service.” He gave a small, polite nod to the wood elf. “And, forgive me, you are- ?” He gestured to the elf to introduce himself, although he was sure he was already supposed to know his name and what he was there for.

“My father is going to kill me.” he thought bitterly.

The Luminous Chancellor was the most beautiful man Finn had ever met.

He also seemed, at first glance, the most dimwitted.

The Chancellor was blonde, with striking blue eyes, a perfect nose, and a well-shaped mouth that hung open like that of a landed fish when he saw Finn. Was he really that shocked to see a wood elf in such a fine establishment? Finn had seen the way the servants looked at him, like he wasn’t fit to wipe their boots.

The man also looked horribly…hungover. And had that been a limp in his step as he had entered? Was he still drunk?

Finn flushed, an angry heat rising up his neck to his ears. “Finnarion Swift,” he introduced, sitting back down. He’d stood when the man entered, but now he perched on his chair again, trying to keep his face neutral as the Chancellor took a healthy quaff of wine.

Finn glanced at the seated woman, who nodded encouragement.

“I have come to negotiate a collaboration between us, in an effort to maintain the balance of our forests.” This part was rehearsed, but his voice was firm, passionate. “Crops are dying. Animals, magical or no, are starving. And we suspect magical interference, by way of elven ignorance and expansion, is the reason for this.”

Finn swallowed. His throat was dry. Where was that water he had requested? His voice sounded like the dry crackle of a campfire compared to the Chancellor’s refined birdsong.

“I have been told,” Finn continued, soldiering on, “that you are an accomplished mage that can help us investigate this matter.”

But Finn studied this…Luminous Chancellor. He looked…young. Much younger than one would think with a title like ‘Luminous Chancellor.’ Cedric Beachamp also seemed terribly unbothered by the entire thing. Like he hadn’t been debriefed, and had just rolled out of bed.

Finn waited for a response, his hands white-knuckled fists in his lap.

“Ah,” replied Cedric, attempting to keep his face neutral. “An accomplished mage that can help us to investigate this matter?” He had to stop himself from snorting into his wine. Of course the lies he had told his father all these years about his magical abilities were coming finally to bite him in the ass.

The truth was that Cedric (or “Luminous Chancellor Cedric Beauchamp”) could perform magic. He could perform magic the same way a working, common girl could sing. Was it at the same degree as a practiced bard, who’d traveled the world mastering their art? Well… not exactly.

But Cedric couldn’t let that truth be known for a couple of reasons. Firstly- he was finally starting to remember the conversation he and his father had previously had about this wood elf ambassador. His father had spoken of a potential need for a mage on the journey; someone who could detect potential arcane interference and malpractice. But… Cedric had only needed to hear the word “journey” to know it meant a prospective way to get out of his awfully boring life at court. He had jumped at the opportunity, letting his father know he’d be willing to help if need be.

And secondly, he had, like all High Elves with magical blood, gone to the University of the Arcane here in Eldoria when he had become of age. He had tried, those first couple of years, to truly learn and grow as a student and mage. But as the techniques had become more difficult and tedious… Perhaps he had paid off a few professors here and there to give him more accolades than he actually deserved.

However, he wouldn’t let this nobody of a wood elf know this, even if he did have the kindest face Cedric had ever seen. So instead, he said, “It’s nice to make your acquaintance, Finnarion Swift,” still attempting to tactfully avoid the depths of those brown eyes. “Of course, the High Elves are wanting the best for the forest, and their respective inhabitants as well.” He gave the elf a small smile of understanding. “I would, as a rather accomplished mage, be happy to help in whatever way necessary, if the right negotiations were reached.” He paused, leaning across the table and used his long, slender fingers to circle the top of his golden wine glass.

“What exactly did you have in mind?”

The Chancellor was at least good at giving him useless responses. So far, Finn hadn’t noticed any high elves with interest in helping. Most of them only cared when something was affecting them…which was why Finn thought now would be a good time to broach the subject. It wasn’t affecting them yet, but it would.

Was Cedric just saying those things because he knew that was what Finn would want to hear?

The smile seemed genuine at least.

Then the Chancellor asked what he had in mind. What Finn—the nobody wood elf who hadn’t so much as set foot in a city till this morning—had in mind.

Finn blinked in disbelief. “We…will go investigate the forest,” he said, realizing he had no script for this part. His heart hammered against his ribcage. “I…suppose I had hoped that you would have a few additional allies we could…recruit.”

Now it was him looking like a dimwit. But since the Luminous Chancellor had agreed to the meeting…and his secretary had responded favorably to the weeks of correspondence that had been sent back and forth, he had thought Cedric would have wanted to…take charge.

Finn swallowed again. Thankfully, that was when the servant came back in, unceremoniously thumping a pitcher of water and a wooden mug in front of Finn.

“Thank you.” Finn murmured his thanks. Knowing the empty mug was a slight and not caring, he poured himself a glass of water and tried not to chug it too quickly as he desperately tried to think of what to say next.

As he watched Finnarion hastily gulp a large glass of water, Cedric found himself rather perplexed. Had this wood elf not come with a proper plan for this “investigation” of his? Or perhaps he had not thought he would get this far? Either way, Cedric was slightly annoyed, although he couldn’t put all the blame on this poor elf. He couldn’t even remember what this meeting was supposed to be about until he had stepped into it. But still, Cedric usually preferred someone to do most of the work for him, and seeing as Finnarion had no real idea of where to go from here, it looked like Cedric would need to do some work.

One thing he had learned very quickly, being a lazy and rebellious young noble, was that it was who you knew, not what you knew. And while Cedric was indeed a loafing idiot when it came to scholastic and industrious endeavors, he was certainly not an idiot when it came to making friends.

Of course, most of his “friends” in the nobility were very shallow indeed. They were always wanting something from you, needing favors and waiting in the shadows to stab you in the back whenever they got the chance. No, those were not his true friends…

But, outside of the deceptive courtiers of Eldoria, Cedric did have a few elves he could truly call friends, much to his father's dismay and disapproval. He smirked into his wine as he swirled it around the glass. Yes, he could think of two elves who would be perfect for this mission…

“I suppose this will be a rather long journey, yes?” he finally said, setting down the glass and leaning back into his chair. After a silent beat, he added, “I’m guessing a proper cook would be useful on this trip. I can’t speak for your cooking, Finnarion, but I am rather stunted when it comes to that sort of thing, as you can imagine.” He gave the wood elf a quick wink and immediately cringed inwardly at the behavior. How strong was this wine in his goblet?

But he hastily continued, attempting to cover up his small slip in prudence. “I have an acquaintance- he’s an excellent chef by the name of Percy Vale- I’ll see if I can convince him to come along.”

“I also suspect,” Cedric continued, crossing his legs, “that this could be a rather treacherous expedition for us both. I’ve been trained in a little fencing and sword work to be sure, but I doubt any opponents we find in the forest will care much for my fancy footwork.” He chuckled softly at his own joke, and then resumed his point. “And while I’m certain you have your own useful skills, you don’t look as if you’ve worked with a sword much in your life.”

He paused, realizing too late that offense could be taken to that, and so he added, “Of course, you look fit enough… I’m not saying you don’t look as if you could hold your own in a fight, I mean, you look strong…” He took a swig of his wine, feeling heat crawl from his neck to his face. Perhaps if they left soon enough for this journey his father wouldn’t have time to kill him...

“What I mean to say,” he said, clearing his throat uncomfortably, “is that I also have an acquaintance who is known far through Eldoria as being a most excellent fighter. Her name is Sabina Odelyn- I’ve never seen anyone best her with a sword or mace.”

He glanced up from the table, meeting the gaze of the wood elf across from him. “Do these seem like useful allies in the upcoming trials? It is, of course, up to your decision.”

A cook?

The Chancellor was suggesting they bring along a cook?

Finn blinked away his shock, wondering why he’d even been surprised in the first place. Of course a high elf would want to bring along a chef to make their four-course meals during a dangerous mission such as this. No doubt the Chancellor would want a sommelier as well. Perhaps a manservant or two?

The wink was more baffling. It left Finn glancing around the room, as if checking with the servants to see if this sort of behavior was normal. Apparently it was.

But Finn’s initial disbelief settled as the Chancellor provided more...sane recommendations--even if he quirked an eyebrow at the backhanded compliments. Of course Finn was strong. He was a skilled tracker, trapper, and archer in his own right. He could climb trees, scale mountains, and shoot down an enemy nearly four-hundred meters away. He could make a fire so no one could spot it, he could find plants that could cure almost any ailment, and he could fashion a weapon out of almost anything. But at least the Chancellor was right about one thing–he wasn’t great with a sword. He was better off with an ax if not a bow, and certainly not a rapier.

Finn, desperate for something to do, stupidly went for a drink of water when the Chancellor said the decision about their companions was up to him. Finnarion.

He choked on the water, hiding his struggles as best he could by coughing subtly, suffering shining through his watery eyes.

“Oh,” he croaked, nodding in the most unbothered way he could muster. “Yes, I think they will do fine.” The damn echo made him sound like a frog.

After clearing his throat a few more times, Finn said, “When do you think they would be ready to leave? The matter is urgent, after all, but I understand preparations must be made.”

“My connections with Percy and Sabina go way back- I’m certain it won’t take much convincing to persuade them to come along with us.” This statement was actually true, something Cedric didn’t need to lie about. All through childhood and adolescence the three had been helping each other out, and Cedric doubted this time would be any different. And, he was certain that if each knew the other was joining, convincing them would be all the easier.

“I suppose we should be able to leave by sunrise, if that would satisfy. I can have my servants prepare the food, supplies, and any other necessities we should need on our journey tonight.” He gave a small nod to Finn, who still looked rather uncertain to be in charge. He felt strangely sorry for the elf, harboring this responsibility so visibly on his shoulders. And then, suddenly, Cedric got an idea. Whether it would be good or disastrous, he couldn’t decide.

Cedric flashed a dazzling grin to Finn, uncrossing his legs and leaning forwards against the table. “It’s still young in the day, however,” he began, clasping his hands together. “Have you ever been to the city of Eldoria before today? Have you gotten to see anything besides this ostentatious Council Room?” He waved his hand, dismissing the glittering, rich decor that surrounded them. “This place doesn’t show the true beauty of our city.”

He stood from his chair and moved towards the other end of the table, where Finnarion still sat. “How about you come along with me to inquire after my friends?” He held out a pale, ringed hand towards Finn in invitation. “I’d be your personal guide and show you the best spots in the city,” he paused and then added with a polite bow, “If you’d like, of course.”

Finn gaped. By sunrise? How much power did this one man hold if they could get together a traveling party and supplies by tomorrow morning?

He snapped his jaw shut with an audible clack. Then the Chancellor grinned at him. It was a handsome, seemingly genuine grin. Disarming. Brow furrowed, Finn looked the man up and down, trying to find what trickery he was up to.

What happened next made Finn’s jaw hang open yet again.

The Luminous Chancellor, with that ghost of a smile on his face, stood up and walked over to Finn. In a friendly voice, he suggested that Finn go along with him to persuade these people—that he would show him around the city. His personal guide. Then he bowed, and held out a hand for Finn to take.

“I…” Finn glanced around. The servants looked as shocked as him. “I’m not sure the presence of a wood elf would help matters.” Chair scraping loud on the floor, he stood on awkward legs, and hesitantly took the Chancellor’s hand. His grip was firm, but he was reminded yet again of his calluses against this high elf’s soft touch.

Finn let go. “I, erm, yes. This is my first time visiting.” Something in his tone was uncertain—as if he were waiting for the quip, the taunting laughter.

“I presumed as much,” replied Cedric, smiling, as he ignored the stares and gasps of the servants. They already thought so poorly of him- what would showing a wood elf around the city really do?

And besides- he didn’t care what they thought. He never did.

“I have to admit something,” he said in a murmur to Finn as they exited the Council Room. “I haven’t had any lunch today, and I might be the tiniest bit hungover.” He sighed as they passed hall after hall- perfectly pristine and elegant. Their footsteps echoed off the marble walls and vaulted ceilings. “Listen,” he whispered quietly to the elf, “you’d drink too if you were forced to stay in this perfect prison all your life.” He shrugged almost unconsciously, as if to shrug off the emotions he always suppressed underneath his quips and humor. “But, at least the wine is good.”

“So,” he continued, gesturing for Finn to go towards the exit of the Citadel, “How about we get a bite to eat before we meet my very useful friends? I’ll be much more functional with some food in my belly.” He rubbed his hands together in anticipation, and then asked Finn with a small bow, “What food is to your liking, Finnarion? We have all sorts of eateries, grills, canteens… The world is your oyster, really. Unless-” he frowned, stopping himself, and then gave Finn a sideways grin, “You aren’t a fan of oysters.”

Finn grabbed his cloak from a servant and hastened to follow the Chancellor. They were of the same height, which was unusual for a wood elf and high elf. Typically, high elves were taller, much taller, but Finnarion Swift came from a tall, robust family. He had always loved that his father was tall and towering and protective, like a mighty redwood.

His eyes narrowed in brief understanding when the Chancellor admitted he was hungover. It shouldn’t have surprised him. High elves had a reputation for being frivolous, uncaring, and thoughtlessly indulgent.

It was almost as though the Luminous Chancellor had read his mind. Finn listened with eyes wide as saucers, wondering--suddenly--if the man could read his mind.

But what did he mean by a ‘perfect prison’?

Eyebrows now in a seeming permanent furrow, Finn said. “I’ve never had oysters,” he admitted. “I’m not sure if I’d like them. What are they?”

He blinked yet again in the midst of the man’s determined smiles, and hesitated at the doors of the Citadel.

“Chancellor,” he asked, “do you really think we will be able to leave tomorrow morning?” Finn carefully watched the man’s face in the bright afternoon sun, hoping to catch him in a lie, or a joke.

“Oh, of course,” said Cedric, waving his hand nonchalantly. “I’ve already sent a note to my staff asking for them to begin preparing for the journey.” He lowered his voice and leaned towards Finn, saying, “They’re unfortunately used to this sort of timing. At least we’re heading out quickly for a good cause. As you can probably imagine, many rushed exits are for some scandal or another.” He winked. “I’ll have to tell you some of the best gossip later.”

“But, before we can continue,” added Cedric, “I’m going to have to politely ask you to stop calling me ‘Chancellor.’” He shook his head and wrinkled his nose in disgust. “It sounds pretentious, even for my tastes.” He gave Finn a sideways glance, attempting not to think too much about how wonderfully the afternoon sun shone on the elf’s brunette hair. “You can call me ‘Cedric’, if you’d like, but if even that sounds too pretentious for your liking, ‘Ced’ is fine as well.” He gave Finn a look of mock seriousness and added in a low voice, “‘Ric,’ however, is not on the table.”

“Or,” he said more jovially, beginning to lead them both towards the main street of the Citadel, “You can always call me by what Percy and Sabina often do: ‘Arsehole.’”

“And speaking of arseholes-” he continued as he led them further down the road, “I suppose you could consider oysters the arseholes of the sea, or at least, that’s my understanding of them.” He frowned. “I’m trying to remember exactly what Percy said when he explained them to me, but I think he said something about filtering the water around them?”

He shrugged. “Well, I’m sure I’m not making them sound all that appealing, but they really are delicious!” He gave Finn a bright smile. “And it just so happens that the tavern Percy works at prepares the best oysters, if you’d like to give them a try?”

Finn couldn’t imagine such a thing--having so many people waiting on him hand and foot like this, so that anything he wanted done would be done so…quickly. Finn had been preparing for his journey for months. Not to mention the endless weeks of discussion between elders and leaders alike, not only in his clan but in others as well. He had been selected out of hundreds of individuals, and the Chancellor seemed to have been…appointed against his will?

But stars, he was charming.

That wink...it was so smooth. It made Finn even more wary.

“Cedric,” Finn repeated carefully, uneasy at how informal it was, glancing around surreptitiously to see if someone might tell him off. The corner of his mouth twitched at the jokes–Cedric did seem a bit of a pretentious ass–but he wasn’t sure if he was allowed to laugh out loud. Instead, he struggled not to laugh, looking mildly constipated as Cedric went on, using the word ‘arsehole’ far more than Finn would have expected from any of the high elf aristocracy.

Finn raised an eyebrow at the oyster description. “They sound delicious,” he said dryly, but his tone was jovial enough. He matched Cedric’s quick pace, amazed at the man’s stamina and energy. If he truly was hungover, he seemed well-adjusted to the state.

Which Finn wasn’t sure was a good thing.

“I’ll try them,” he answered, draping his cloak over his arm as they walked into the city proper. The sun shone high in the sky above them, and the day’s warmth had only increased. Finn might have normally shed his shirt as well, but he didn’t think that would be well-received. As it was, people were staring at the sight of himself and Cedric walking through the streets, their jaws hanging loose, their eyebrows up to their hairlines.

Finn compromised by rolling his sleeves up to his elbows.

“You must not have many wood elves here to visit often,” Finn noted, overwhelmed by the hawkers and the merchants and the nobles riding by in their carriages.

“Excellent,” replied Cedric with a grin, leading them both towards Percy's tavern. “I find them rather tasty and refreshing, but I suppose they aren't everyone's cup of tea.” He paused, then added “Or everyone's cup of… salt?”

He thought for a moment as to how he should respond to Finn regarding his comment on the wood elves. Of course, he was right- they didn't see many wood elves in the Citadel, or really in the whole of the city. They were often considered lower than the high elves, some particularly nasty high elves considering them close to barbarians.

Cedric had never thought this way.

He may have been pretentious, lazy, and vain just like the rest of them, but the thing he was more than anything else was rebellious. If it made his high elf counterparts clutch their precious pearls, he probably supported it.

And that included not being racist.

He was sure he still had his prejudices- how could he not, growing up the way he had? But he had always attempted to actively work against them.

“No, I suppose we don't have many wood elves visit us here in the city,” Cedric said thoughtfully, attempting to keep the mood light. “But, if it weren't for the future of the world on your shoulders, would you have really wanted to visit us?”

He laughed to himself as he turned a street, politely gesturing to Finn to follow. “We’re mostly pompous arseholes, hiding our true ugliness beneath our expensive clothing, believing if we have enough money and riches our own shit won't stink.”

“It's really all a facade,” he continued as they walked down the neatly paved street, “which is partially why I volunteered to help this mission as soon as I heard.” He paused, wondering if he should admit his ulterior motives so soon, but then he shrugged and said, “That way I could leave this hellhole at the earliest opportunity.”

Things were beginning to make more sense. The Luminous Chancellor Cedric Beauchamp hadn’t volunteered for the job because he was passionate about the matter, like Finn had. He didn’t want to help his people, or ease the suffering of animals, or heal the dying plants. He had volunteered because he was… tired of the luxurious life he led.

Finn blinked at him. He couldn’t decide if he admired Cedric or despised him more for it.

“No,” Finn admitted, blanching at Cedric’s perceptiveness. “I’d still be at home.” Enjoying his father’s cooking at the campfire, falling asleep to the sound of his mother’s flute, or running after his baby sister as she challenged him to a footrace.

And he’d have never wanted to come here. Here, in Eldoria, where the streets smelled just as crowded as they were, where perfumed and spiced scents fought for dominance as nobility passed, where buildings were as tall as trees and looked just as vertiginous. Where the whiff of magic made the very air thick and blistering.

“It is rather…hot,” Finn allowed, not going so far as to call the place a hellhole, but thinking it himself. He tugged at his collar as they walked. “I don’t suppose you usually walk?” he asked, remembering the carriage that had brought him into the city. It didn’t seem…normal for a Luminous Chancellor to roam the city on his own two legs, regardless of how free the man was with his profanities.

Cedric laughed- a booming, melodious laugh that caused tears to form at his eyes. “Oh, I must apologize,” he began as he wiped them away, still chuckling. “You must think very little of us to imagine we don’t even walk very often.”

He led them down another street, this one denser and more crowded with various vendors and merchants. He nodded politely to them all and they nodded back, some even going so far as to smile and wave at him.

“One thing you should know about High Elf society,” he whispered jovially to Finn, “Is that if there is a reason to ‘galavant’ oneself around, we will take the opportunity to do it.” He smiled frankly. “For example, you have your ‘strolls’- those are for winding down the evening, usually… having a glass of wine…That sort of thing. And then, of course, you have your promenades- those are for gossip, fashion, or to convene with a lover in a proper manner.”

“Of course,” he added, as they approached the Starfall Haven Tavern. “Most well-bred high elves do not ‘promenade’ around here,” he said, gesturing to the pub.

The pub, of course, was no shabby looking thing- it was in the center of the city, after all. But it certainly was no Citadel. The tall, wooden walls were washed in an off-white paint, with dark brown edges framing it. Several lanterns hung on either side of the large oak doors, giving it a quaint and cozy feel.

To Cedric, it felt rather like coming home- like a place where he could shed off his hideous aristocratic skin and be more like himself.

“But, of course, I’m not like most well-bred high elves,” he said to Finn with a mischievous grin. “So I ‘promenade’ here quite often.” He opened the door for the elf, motioning genially for him to enter.

“Welcome to the Starfall Haven Tavern, Finnarion Swift.”

Finn blushed at Cedric’s laughter. He…had thought it was odd they were taking time to walk through the streets. But Cedric’s explanation made sense, in a vapid, shallow sort of way.

The more confusing part about it was Cedric’s familiarity with him. He leaned close, whispered secrets to him like they were old friends. He smiled, he winked, he charmed. But what’s more, he had an openness about him that took Finn entirely aback.

If this was the true Luminous Chancellor, who he really, truly was–why would anyone treat him so horribly that he’d do anything to leave?

Cedric hadn’t lied about one thing. He was showing Finn around like an honored guest, gesturing proudly to the inside of the Starfall Haven Tavern, opening the door for Finn with a grin and a flourish.

“Oh. Thank you.” Finn returned a shy, but genuine, smile to Cedric and tried to hide his awe as he walked in.

The Starfall Haven Tavern was cozy, and undeniably charming. Its gold-hued dimness immediately cooled off Finn’s sweat-beaded brow, the rich smells of garlic, butter, fresh bread and seafood wafting up to his nose. A quartet played nearby, a fiddle, pipe, drum, and lute, with none of the pomp and pretentiousness of the soft harp melodies he’d heard at the Citadel. A healthy buzz of conversation circled around him in a warm hug, reminding him of cricket song in the early autumn air.

“Thank you,” Finn said again to Cedric, not knowing what else to say. He’d never been somewhere like this before. Could they sit anywhere? How did one get their food?

His stomach growled. “I suppose I am hungry,” he admitted sheepishly, folding his arms over his stomach, as if he might muffle the sound

“Perfect,” said Cedric with a warm smile, as he led them to a cozy table near the back of the tavern- his usual spot. He pulled out a chair for Finn and beckoned him to sit down. “A good appetite is just what one needs the first time they try oysters.” He scanned around the bustling room until his eyes finally found Percy- a short, stocky, auburn-haired elf- rummaging around the bar. “If you’ll excuse me,” he said politely to Finn, along with his characteristic small bow, “I’ll go and see if I can’t grab Percy to come talk with us for a bit.”

He left Finn at the table and headed towards the bar, waving to his friend as he went. “Oiy, Perc!” he shouted, attempting to get the elf’s attention.

The red-headed elf perked up, his dark green eyes lighting up when he caught a glimpse of Cedric. “Ced!” he said in a surprised tone. His eyebrows furrowed together as he reached into his vest pocket to pull out his pocket watch. “I know the past few weeks have been rough for you, Ced, but isn’t noon a little early to start drinking?”

“I’m not here for the drinks, idiot,” he retorted to his friend, rolling his eyes. He leaned casually against the bar and gestured his head towards the table where Finn now sat.

“Remember that meeting my father was forcing me to go to?” he asked Percy as they both glanced in the direction of the wood elf. “That’s the wood elf ambassador I’m to work with.”

Percy put one hand on his hip, shaking his head. “What a shame. And here I was thinking you were actually on a date for once, Ced.” He tisked softy in mock disappointment. “But I should have known- you’ve always been so miserable at romance, haven’t you?”

“Ouch,” said Cedric, but he couldn’t help but grin as his friend’s quip. “But I suppose it takes a loveless failure to know one, doesn’t it, Percy?”

“Checkmate,” replied Percy with a shrug, grinning a sideways smile in return. “So what are you here for then, Ced? How can I help you?”

“About that…” started Cedric, nervously running a ringed finger along a loop in the countertop wood. “I may have mentioned it would be useful to have a cook along with us on our journey…”

“Oh, come off it,” said Percy, whipping out a wash rag from his apron and hitting Cedric in the arm. “You always end up pulling me into your antics and-”

“Wait, wait,” interrupted Cedric hastily, rubbing his arm where the fabric had hit. “Just let the wood elf explain everything, and then you can decide,” he said to Percy. “Come on,” he added. “Just meet him first, and then you can choose if you’d like to join us on our little adventure.”

“Fine,” muttered Percy between his teeth, casting Cedric a glare as he came out from behind the bar. “But you’ll owe me for this, Cedric.”

“Of course,” said Cedric with a bow, and just before he turned back towards his table, he shouted to a young maiden behind the bar, “And could I get a couple plates of oysters at my table, please?”

“Come now, Percy,” he said to his friend, wrapping a long arm around his shoulders. “It’s time to meet our wood elf ambassador, Finnarion Swift.”

As covertly as possible, Finn checked the chair Cedric pulled out to make sure all the legs were sound. “Thank you,” he muttered again, gingerly sitting on the chair before awkwardly scooting in.

Finn folded his nervous hands in his lap as he waited. He felt like he was in a dream–a good dream or a nightmare, he wasn’t sure. The Luminous Chancellor seemed like a decent fellow, but it felt like the calm before a storm. Like he was the butt of some joke, one he couldn’t see coming.

But if Cedric was genuine… What did that mean?

The minutes Cedric was gone felt like an eternity. But soon Percy–or, at least, the elf Finn assumed was Percy–arrived beneath Cedric’s amiable arm.

Finn stood, noting the high elf’s strangely short height. It was odd that a wood elf should be taller than a high elf, and yet… Percy was proof it was possible.

“I am Finnarion Swift,” Finn introduced himself, and Cedric made the rest of the introductions. Percy seemed a nice enough person, too, which was even stranger. They seemed like…friends. True friends. The way Cedric acted around Percy, the manner in which Percy didn’t seem the least bit intimidated by Cedric…

It made what Finn said next a little easier.

He cleared his throat. “I am sorry to dissuade you, but I feel like I must,” Finn said, glancing uncertainly at Cedric. “This journey could be very dangerous. I’m certain my cooking is nothing compared to yours, but I can manage enough for the both of us. I would rather no one risk their lives unnecessarily.”

Finn straightened, jaw set. Too many lives had already been lost. He wanted to prevent even one more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back