(Yet Another Set of) Awesome Charm Cards!

Democritus

Some of you might have read about the XML Charm Card Project I worked on (with the help of some really nice people), over at the RPGnet forums. (For those that don't, see this Thread and this Thread.)

To give you a quick preview of what the cards look like, check out the following image:

previewjy1.png

Well either way, the XML data is finished and you can now download the XML CHARM CARD PREVIEW.

Preview because while it is almost complete it might not be perfect yet. To get there, I want you (yes you!) to download the file above and check it out. Maybe print it if you've got spare ink (or laser stuff). Give them a through reading. Maybe even compare them to the book, see if you can spot errors, typos, mistakes. Everything and anything. You can even feel free to be more verbose where you feel it's neccessary, adding some detail to charm description. Or maybe you want to unify the language a bit.

Whatever you think these cards need, let me know.

Either do so here or, which is much preferable, go to the Fixalted XML Charm Cards article and simply correct our Card Data in there!

I'll wait a while (maybe a week or so depending on the activity in the Wiki and this thread) and then I'll compile the XML data again for Dave to compile a final PDF. This will then also include the backsides of the Cards and a single sheet with explanations on the card layout, abbreviations and icons used.

So guys, now it's everyones turn to make these cards really shine!

Very nice and looks like a fair amount of work went in to them. However, my inherent distaste for all CCGs and anything that resembles them causes me to dislike them. You did a good job, I just don't like the visual style of them and I'm sure I'll be in the minority.

They look good to me. I offer the same criticism I did to the other set of charm cards that was posted here not long ago: chances are that people who are into using charm cards will print out these things on Avery card-stock, with perforations to easily divide into cards.

You should make sure that a) your output fits a specific Avery template and b) that you build a single PDF, without the large blank areas between Abilties. This just wastes card-stock.

I tossed out some cheesy d20 spell cards a while back, built for Avery stock. The xslt may help you.

Also, there just might be better choices for XML source data for charm cards floating around.

These are VERY nice.  Ultimately, what I'd love to see is the information stored in a database (or the equivalent) so that I can specify which charms I need for a given character, then receive the xml for those charms and then use xslt to configure the information how I want it to print... ;)

In my opinion the biggest problem with most of the charm card sets out there is that they are ALL the charms in predetermined sets.  I don't need all the charms...I just need the ones for my characters and I haven't had a huge amount of luck cutting specific cards out of the 'master' document.  I suppose I could print a master set and we (my players and myself (the ST)) could hand them around as needed, but I'd love to be able to hand each of my players a set of cards which is THEIR charms.

Avery card stock? I print them in regular printing paper, them cut them out and put them on plastic protectors on top of MtG cards...

Between editable PDF's and these, I may never need a pen and paper to game again.

I'll have to find time to enter some Lunar Charms in so I can use them.  I'll send you my email request now.

Avery card stock? I print them in regular printing paper' date=' them cut them out and put them on plastic protectors on top of MtG cards...[/quote']
That is what most people plan to do.

Either way, avery card stock is 10 on a page and these are different sizes so that's a no-go. Would be too much work to change everything to fit those.

And uteck, I've replied to your post. I'd love to have Lunar Charm Cards but there's a few hurdles to overcome first.

Well most of the obstacles that are true for lunars are true for DBs too. Let me reiterate what I told uteck in the mail.

There's a few things I want you to be aware of before any XML data is written.

First I would love to have the Solar Cards done before I approach any new Card related projects. They are already complete but I'm still sure there's some bugs in there. Unfortunately people don't really report much. I still managed to fix three problems but there are bound to be more.

Second, the official Charm Cards set a precedent for User Made Charm Cards. However this only extents to Solars so far. I am not aware whether WW has Lunar/DB/Sid Charm Cards planned or not. I wanted to approach WW once the Solar Cards are finished, ask them if things are okay that way and if we're allowed to create sets for other Exalted.

Third, for some types of Data there may be Icons missing.

These are all problems that can be solved though.

The first problem is nothing you need to worry about - unless you wanna help provide some feedback on the charm cards. If so, then download them and give them a read through. See if you spot typos or mistakes in the content.

The second problem is nothing you can worry about. You can either wait until we have their okay (which - based on my experience with WW mail contact - may very well be never) or you just go ahead and start writing charms. In that case though you would have to expect that these can only be used by a  few private groups (like you, me, the fellow contributors to the project...) and would not be fit for public release.

If you want to go ahead, just do so. You can find all info on the Format as well as dozens of examples on the fixalted page here: http://fixalted.bazzalisk.org/index.php ... harm_Cards

The third problem is something you may worry about. I see a few solutions to this problem.

1. Someone pays the original artist for another set of matching icons

2. I design another set of items. My time is limited so I'd only do this when and if the entire set is completed, not before as to not waste any time for a project that (no offense) might not be completed. Even if we manage to complete this I can not promise that I'll find the time (or artistic skill) to create Icons that I'm happy with.

3. We use simple public domain placeholders

Also something else:

Before anyone would write up Charms for other Exalted, I'd like for Urs (Anathema developer) to write up a little converter. He already agreed to do this but it was postponed because of my Solars Only policy.

The converter would take the Anathema Charm Data and convert it into XML data that is perfect for the XML Charm Cards. The only data that would be missing is the Charm Text itself. That is not within Anathema (for copyright reasons) and would have to be manually inserted.

All the other stuff (type, duration, cost, prerequisites etc.) would already be generated. And that'd be suh-weet.

Alright, fellow Exalted fans and haters alike.

The ages old XML Charm Cards project has finally come to a close. The cards are finally complete and finished and they are now available for download! You can download the cards by visiting my website at www.tricktonic.com/exalted or simply by clicking on the link below.

Download XML Charm Cards - Solar (v1.0) (~25 MB download)

A preview of the card layout:

xmlcharmcardsio2.png

The files include appropriate back sides and a short legend explaining the symbols and layout. The cards are come in two variants, one only showing the card fronts, the other alternating front and back so duplex printers can easily print nice cards.

I suggest for you to print the cards on thicker paper, cut them and then put them into regular card protector sleeves so they don't tear easily. Of course if you have a printer that is able to print on cardboard, then go ahead and try that.

Thanks to everyone involved in the project and I hope you guys have a lot of fun. Spread the word and let me know if you find any mistakes.

Thanks,

Demo

Democritus said:
Oh right. Well that's because WW forced me to pull the cards from the web.
I've wondered how those were NOT a violation of copyright and terms of use...

I honestly have no idea.

The entire thing was a mess - there's a huge (blown out of proportion) thread on rpg.net (filled with internet drama).

Either way, stuff seems to be alright now and it's uploaded now.

I got my download going as I type.  So, when will you have the Lunar ones ready to go? :D

Sherwood said:
I got my download going as I type.  So, when will you have the Lunar ones ready to go? :D
I'm not yet 100% sure we are allowed to make lunar sheets. If we are, then they will be ready as soon as people write up the XML data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back