Writing up NPC's

Sherwood

Luna's Concubine
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
As a ST and you are planning out a NPC, either as a villian or an ally to the players, do you write them up, or just play it by ear?  I have done both over the years.  As I am going over the books for encounters in my PbP game I started wondering.

I'll usually make some notes, unless they are a regular side kick most of what they get is DV values, a couple of key stats and a some charm/combo write up, most NPC's end up being 1/3 to 1/2 page of notes, major one get a whole page.

normally I will jot down a few of the key ability pools. then give the name and a brief description. if it is a major npc(main villain or what have you) I will do a full write up. extras get little to no write up prior to the game I just throw that out based on need. they are like scenery.

I end up writing a basic chargen setup as follows:

I just leave it on the computer to save on paper and writing time.

Name:

Player:

Type / Caste:

Affiliation:

Anima / Totem:

Concept:

Motivation:

Anima Powers:

Intimacies:

Attacks:

> Spd: Acc: Dmg: Def: Range:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Attributes:

Strength - Charisma - Perception -

Dexterity - Manipulation - Intelligence -

Stamina - Appearance - Wits -

Abilities:

Archery - Investigation - Presence -

Athletics - Larceny - Resistance -

Awareness - Linguistics - Ride -

Bureaucracy - Lore - Sail -

Craft - Martial Arts - Socialize -

Craft - Medicine - Stealth -

Craft - Melee - Survival -

Dodge - Occult - Thrown -

Integrity - Performance - War -

Languages:

Specialties:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Virtues: Limit: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Compassion - Curse:

Conviction -

Temperance - Health Levels: -0: [ ]

Valor - -1: [ ]

Willpower: -2: [ ] [ ]

Essence: -4: [ ] [ ]

Personal: Incapacitated: [ ]

Peripheral: Dying: [ ]

Backgrounds:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Other Traits:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Artifacts:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Gear:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Possessions:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Charms:

> Cost: Speed: Duration:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Combos:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Merits: Flaws:

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Total Experience:

Experience Used:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Experience Remaining:

Depends on how involved folks are getting in the plot.

Most NPCs are notes. More on their background and relationships, than what they can do. If they get more involved with the characters, they get more fleshed out, but most of the time NPCs are just a collection of notes and a few Charms and Spells at most.

I prefer that the PCs perform most of the actual "heavy lifting" so the NPCs actions are sort of side line or background issues.

Even the NPCs that they go into combat against are usually based on templates and adjusted accordingly. I do keep a fair stable of template characters, and then can scale them up or down a bit.

For me, important NPCs have their own sheets, same as the PCs. Mentors, Allies, Henchmen, Retainers, Enemies, any individual named characters with an important role in the story have such. If someone's an Exalt in my game, they have their own sheet too. The same people also have write ups on personality, appearance and the like, with a few notes on their relationships with others and so forth. Random Extras, they get regular Extra status. Followers, Command minions, and so forth are treated similar, unless the player actually tries to gain personal relationships with their minions...in which case they may over time be promoted beyond the status of the background they originated from. The standard bearer who becomes the Talon leader's trusted Executive officer isn't poor little extra boy any longer...he's a Henchman, most likely, and a Heroic character, now.

Of course, I'm the same person who can tell you the population, including divide by age group, gender, socioeconomic status and so forth of most places my games heavily interact with, so...I can certainly understand that not every one is as nit picky about the little details of their NPCs. However, sometimes the little details that you wouldn't have thought would come up do, and people learn that the shepherd that they hired as a guide knows a little bit of Thaumaturgy related to local warding rituals to keep away the hungry dead that haunt the hills, and has a wife and children whom he cares about dearly. And when the PCs are bastards and leave him to die, without trying to save his mangled ass, while they go off to do 'heroic' things, he might very well come back angry after them later, as the odd Midnight Caste prophet from the hills, preaching their doom...and seeking vengeance for their uncaring ways.

I keep extensive notes about what the PCs have done--the Modernis setting shows in part the sort of preparation I do for a campaign, trimmed down a good deal for you folks--and I keep a lot of notes about sub-plots and relationships between different factions and people of note. I usually have every major and even minor player in the area cribbed out, and what they mean each other. I like to have a fair amount of petty rivalries and internal shenanigans going on, because if you get five people together, three of them are talking about the other two.

But, I think these relations are more important than just stats.  Perceived power and even a Heroic Mortal having the dirt on a Dragon Blood, or a Ghost holding an Abyssal's future hostage is more interesting to me. Yes, the DB could just roll on the Mortal, but what about his friends?  Who does she have in her corner?  What Exalts or even Gods does she have backing her too?  

Then again, politics is often more important than just raw power in my games--while a good display is useful, and even necessary, it's often more satisfying for PCs to out think and out plot an adversary.

In those sorts of games, it's not a bad idea to have stats handy, but again, it's from a template often, and just adjusted up or down for the particular NPC.

Part of my issue is that I frankly hate templates for important NPCs. I'd rather build them to suit who they are from the ground up. This doesn't mean there isn't also significant notes on personality and relationships and so forth. But I'd rather have capabilities suited directly to the character, than use something pregenerated and modded. I have no problems with others doing so, but I prefer to make each NPC as if they were their own character...it gives me a better feel for them, as I figure out things like not only what abilities they have, but why, and how things relate to eachother. The mechanics help me flesh the character out a bit. Knowing the monk Sejaris Cathak has 4 War, but is currently  a traveling itinerant monk, I wonder, why, exactly? Perhaps he spent time in the Legions, before finding his calling. Did he make any friends during that time? Enemies? Does he still think well of the Legions, or did he leave in a huff over something? Is he alright with the fact his Presence specialty in seduction cannot be used? Does he have a hard time acting as a celibate monk, with his past as a charming playboy warrior?

I do both, I have like 3 types of NPC who has an impact on the game.

1- Frequently met NPC: those guys are the people the PC will meet and meet again during the game, they don't need a sheet, because they are purely background and environment. They have a good background, and lots of notes, but no sheets. If one of them is involved more actively in the story, I use a template up/down, or a general set of abilities and if he becomes type 2 I write a sheet.

example: the king of an allied city.

2- sidekicks & allies: they need sheets, because they will interact at key points in the story, and be actively involved in the game, they need a detailed background.

example: the dragon blooded ally.

3- opponents, vilains and arch vilains: because they will confront the PCs over and over throughout the game, they need background and sheets too.

example: deathknights.

I do whatever I can to prevent things from slowing down at the table. This usually means notes about combat/charm strategy for opposition, particularly how they will choose to defend (variations of which matter more in 1E than 2E).

I also track stuff on a wiki.

I usually detail them just as much as it's absolutely necessary, but I stat up all the antagonists that I believe will enter combat. Writing too much may reduce the flexibility of a character. I like flexibility.

My favorite NPC was a Fair Folk who had set up shop in the basement of a brothel-posing-as-a-tea-house in Nexus.  I thought of him/her (was really hard to tell for my PCs) about ten minutes before the session.

1st Rule of Storytelling/GMing: Never make up more than you have to.  If a couple of notes is all you need, so be it.  If a full character sheet and picture is what you feel you need, go for it.

2nd Rule of Storytelling:  When all else fails fake it.  If you introduce a character on the fly, just keep notes on who/what he is and if need be make him up between sessions.  I usually write a few important notes about characters my PCs show an interest in during the session.

Essentially it's whatever you feel comfortable with.  I like to put a lot of detail down on paper storywise, but a lot of times I skip stats unless I know they're gonna be needed (The old man who gives the PCs information probably doesn't need stats, but the arrogant Dragon Blood who's gonna pick a fight with you PCs probably warrants a full character sheet incase violence ensues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back