Advice/Help World building advice needed

TheJourneyman

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I have just resurrected an old idea of mine. Its a massive fantasy world. I wanted different types of magic, and different methods of how people were able to wield magic.

For example, some people would simply be norn into a magic line, others were born with magic without explanation.
Some people were gifted with magic by a deity or another source, or even cursed with magic.
Then finally you have people who practiced it and harnessed it, learning it through research or training and teaching by another.

Are these decent explanations of how different types of magic exist in the world?

An idea that I came across some time ago (probably on some ambiguous reddit thread) was differing a world's schools of magic as apposed to techniques. This is to say that everyone, regardless of the magic they practiced, had to train in their art to get where they are. Establishing that there's only one way for the average character to hone their spellcraft not only opens up possible plotlines revolving around "chosen one" npcs, but also discourages any world breaking characters from the playerbase. As for the schools of magic available to players and npcs, I'd suggest investigating the practices of non-fictional civilizations. Most ancient societies believed in some kind of "magic", which usually came in the form of miracles performed by their god/gods. They spent a great deal of time and effort manufacturing methods in which to contact, appease, or essentially pay their deities to produce miracles in their favor. Try banking off of those practices to make your own.

I have just resurrected an old idea of mine. Its a massive fantasy world. I wanted different types of magic, and different methods of how people were able to wield magic.

For example, some people would simply be norn into a magic line, others were born with magic without explanation.
Some people were gifted with magic by a deity or another source, or even cursed with magic.
Then finally you have people who practiced it and harnessed it, learning it through research or training and teaching by another.

Are these decent explanations of how different types of magic exist in the world?

I like the diversity of the idea... and it's not far from concepts already established in high fantasy and RPGs.

It ignites MY creativity in that it gives a lot of special justifications or secret lore to discover to unravel why magic is so akin to some folks and not others.
I thought it would be interesting if there was an arcane "Pathogen" that "infected" a certain portion of the populace with magic, or there was a war between mortals and fallen angels when the gods gave magic to mortals, believing that magic was their blessing alone and those angels that fought the magic people became devils and demons.
I once designed an RP where there was a different reason/source for magic for all 9 points on the D&D alignment scale -- evil and good magic, neutral magic, and chaotic and lawful variants of the above.

I think it's a great place to start with your worldbuilding and if I can help you in any way let me know!

<3,

Beck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back