Character Theory What are people’s most preferred OC personality traits to RP with and why?

What are people’s most preferred OC personality traits to RP with and why?

• Total voters

LouiseMcDoozler

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey everyone!
I am genuinely curious about this and I‘m making this poll as a way for me to better understand how to market my original characters for RP!

And yes, I know how basic this list looks… 🫠
However, most of these traits are based off my own OCs- and not to mention I kinda hit the limit for how many options I could add-

Anyways, to anyone who participates, thank you so very much! OMG You are helping me out a lot!
If you wanna elaborate more on the option(s) you chose, that would be awesome.
Also I know! I know! There are still so many other traits to add and if you couldn’t find the specific one you prefer then please do not hesitate to share what it is and why you find it favorable!

<3

all of my OCs tend to fall into a venn diagram of 'just a silly guy,' 'depressed homosexual,' and 'extreme woman.'

So the most fun I ever had writing against an OC is one of my current roleplays. The character very much reminds me of people I know real life (which I think is the source of a lot of the fun).

She’s a twenty-something that is just a complete ball of chaos. Very impulsive, outgoing, and naive.

I literally never know what the next post is gonna be because the character is always coming up with new flights of fancy. It makes the roleplay more fun because I’m constantly having to pivot and adjust to whatever my partner writes.

Personally, I'm someone who can have a lot of fun with a lot of different character archetypes. I don't really have a favourite type, because to me a big part of if I like how the character behaves is based on how the roleplayer portrays them. I have had equal fun and disappointment with people who roleplay those more passive, quiet type characters just like how I've had a similar mixed experience with those who roleplay more dominant and loud characters.

I have specific types that I find fun if they're portrayed in a way I enjoy. I tend to like writing against spunky, opinionated characters. But then, I also love to write against characters who are walking red flags. Any kind of character who is wholly engaged in what's going on is one I enjoy. I'm personally someone who doesn't have as much fun with characters who are so passive that they don't do anything to help progress the story along. But even then, if the portrayal of the character is engaging enough and growth occurs, I can have fun with them as well.

all of my OCs tend to fall into a venn diagram of 'just a silly guy,' 'depressed homosexual,' and 'extreme woman.'

Similar. All my OCs are some form of inserts in my Venn diagram: 'people I know and love', 'people I know that annoy me', 'me turned up to 11'

Kind of cracking me up that minimum of 5 people with a multiple choice question and still no shy,sweet, submissive.

I personally like the more flawed characters. Far more interesting to watch them fight and struggle to accomplish whatever they want to accomplish. A character who has few flaws and can easily accomplish much is only as interesting as the conflicts their up against than their character. Batman would be incredibly boring if he didn't have such an awesome rogues gallery for example.

As for archetypes? I like those who are driven enough to push things forward as well as create conflict. Keeping a plot going and having things go bad sometimes is what in essence makes a story entertaining after all. The confident, brash, bold, rude, arrogant, loud, driven kinds of character will fill that role. But if they're more quiet and calculating and act more subtly that's also beautiful. Snarky and witty characters also make for entertaining banter! Those with unique philosophies that make their actions harder to predict are also lots of fun but really rare.

Kind of cracking me up that minimum of 5 people with a multiple choice question and still no shy,sweet, submissive.

I personally like the more flawed characters. Far more interesting to watch them fight and struggle to accomplish whatever they want to accomplish. A character who has few flaws and can easily accomplish much is only as interesting as the conflicts their up against than their character. Batman would be incredibly boring if he didn't have such an awesome rogues gallery for example.

As for archetypes? I like those who are driven enough to push things forward as well as create conflict. Keeping a plot going and having things go bad sometimes is what in essence makes a story entertaining after all. The confident, brash, bold, rude, arrogant, loud, driven kinds of character will fill that role. But if they're more quiet and calculating and act more subtly that's also beautiful. Snarky and witty characters also make for entertaining banter! Those with unique philosophies that make their actions harder to predict are also lots of fun but really rare.
Haha! ikr? Ppl really seem to like the anisocial and the offensive character type. The shy is completely swept under the rug. Understandable though being how overused its been.

also I totally agree with your response ✨

Hmmm... tough question. I roleplay a wide variety of personality types, so I can't really single any out as my favorite(s).

On a side note, I mostly do group RPs and I'm usually among the last to finish a char sheet, (because I'm slow and overly meticulous and whatnot, lol). But the best thing about being last is I get to see what everyone else is doing and adjust accordingly. I try to pick a character I think will mesh well with the others. I always consider that when choosing what I'll play. When I read an interest check, I usually have at least two or three characters in mind, then I narrow it down based on what others are playing. For example, if there are a lot of introverts in the group, I'll go for someone a little more boisterous and "active" to liven things up. The same goes for powers, abiltiies, backgrounds, etc, etc. My favorite roleplays are ones where a wide variety of characters play off of one another.

Sometimes, I'll stick to my guns if I'm really, REALLY hyped to play a particular character, but more often than not, I'll tweak things to fill a hole in the cast. I guess I'm fortunate that I've RP'd long enough to have tried nearly all of these types at least once (more like dozens of times, lol) and have loved writing them all at one point or another in my life, so it's not too hard to pivot, especially if I feel like the overall roleplay will be better for it. I don't know if that's common. It feels like most people just pick what they want or whatever concept speaks to them the most and roll with it.

K soooo like I'm 1 of the people that chose: submissive, sweet, shy. But the charries weren't Mary sues and more like kinda dumb and gullible rather than purely submissives. And both were broken goods. So like I mean it's not a bad archetype cuz like ime you don't always have to play them as 'princess people pleaser.'

But like as a point of reference my charries are usually the: cheerful, extroverted, punky types. Cuz self insert lol

I play a variety of characters but I do think my favorite ones are the more outgoing and extroverted.

My current main character I've been RPing is extroverted, narcissistic and a megalomaniac. He's also the first rich character I've ever played.

There were some listed that were grouped together but I don't like the whole 'group', but I like to mix and match things.

Not to be annoying but none of those are my preference. My preference is any/all characters who move scenes forward. I understand that passive characters can be cathartic for passive people looking for an outlet, but nothing's more exhausting than having to do all the scene development, where someone's character never moves the needle in any meaningful way. For the purpose of storytelling (not character development), it turns the character into luggage. I honestly don't care what archetype a character falls into, but please for all that's holy, please do something. If they're not assertive then be creative, make an outside element move the scene forward. Have something happen to them to force them into action. Don't just hang out looking gloomy.

Not to be annoying but none of those are my preference. My preference is any/all characters who move scenes forward. I understand that passive characters can be cathartic for passive people looking for an outlet, but nothing's more exhausting than having to do all the scene development, where someone's character never moves the needle in any meaningful way. For the purpose of storytelling (not character development), it turns the character into luggage. I honestly don't care what archetype a character falls into, but please for all that's holy, please do something. If they're not assertive then be creative, make an outside element move the scene forward. Have something happen to them to force them into action. Don't just hang out looking gloomy.

I totally understand what you're talking about and agree, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

I totally understand what you're talking about and agree, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
The question was preferred character type. My preference is characters that are active instead of passive. No I did not click the vote button, but I did answer the question.

The question was preferred character type. My preference is characters that are active instead of passive. No I did not click the vote button, but I did answer the question.
Preferred personality trait to RP with. All characters can move a scene along and not be passive. Passive characters not moving/helping scenes along is an RPer issue.

Preferred personality trait to RP with. All characters can move a scene along and not be passive. Passive characters not moving/helping scenes along is an RPer issue.
I see now. I've broken the sacred rule. I've answered a question differently than it's specific wording. The mods will surely execute me for this.

I see now. I've broken the sacred rule. I've answered a question differently than it's specific wording. The mods will surely execute me for this.
Exactly! It's okay, you'll be safe. They won't see this.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

i think for me it depends on the story! if im playing in a fantasy world as a male character, ill usually play an arrogant and privileged brat who experiences a personal development over the course of the story. but in that same world, as a female, im more inclined to create a character who's rough around the edges but still cares a great ton. she could still be snarky like the male character, but instead of arrogant and privileged she might display tough love and give sound advice

i think i like to write the tragic and comedic relief characters in some stories as well. theyre hilarious and everyone loves them, but theyre just hiding how horrible their lives are. on the same coin, i also like to play jerks who secretly care a lot more than they let on, the kinds who probably have the biggest hearts but go about it all wrong

i definitely dont like to write 100% passive or timid characters. they might be shy in some aspects but they are bold in others. i dont like my characters to be just a couple of descriptive words, i want them to feel like real and authentic people. i think if i had to pick only three of your options, theyd be sorted mostly into these ones:

- offensive, smug, arrogant
- dominant, overprotective, leader
- short tempered, aggressive, loud (very close tie between this and cheerful, extroverted, spunky)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back