Story War of Dalmore 1

_ALISTAIRIAN TIMES_

_VOL. 10, ISSUE 34_

_DATE: 15TH OF VALOR, 850 GD_

PRESIDENT VEX DECLARES WAR ON KALVIAN AGGRESSORS

In a stirring address to the nation, President Kieran Vex announced Alistair's formal declaration of war against the Kalvian Empire. Citing repeated border skirmishes and Kalvian support of anti-Alistairian insurgents, President Vex vowed to protect our great nation's sovereignty and interests.

"My fellow Alistairians, we stand united in the face of tyranny! We will not falter, we will not fail! For Alistair, for freedom, we march into this righteous conflict!"

*Talenstar Corp. presents:*

*Talenstar TurboFuel*

Unleash the power of Talenstar TurboFuel in your vehicle! Our patented blend of high-octane fuel and advanced combustion enhancers will take your engine to new heights. Try Talenstar TurboFuel today and experience the difference for yourself!

1. Maxton Thane: 23rd of Ventaris, 880 GD

Captain Maxton Thane and commander Aria Flynn walked down a residential street in Bloom, their footsteps echoing off the emptying homes. Families packed up their cars, tears streaming down their faces as they said goodbye to loved ones. The once-friendly streets were now a somber sight, filled with the desperation of people uprooted from their lives.

Thane's gaze lingered on a young couple, their car overflowing with belongings. Flynn's deep brown eyes met his, her expression grim. "It's hard to believe it's come to this," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Thane nodded, "I know but we need to get them out of here.”

Though her eyes betrayed a hint of sorrow, Flynn agreed as well. The sudden evacuation was necessary, but it pained her to see families and friends torn apart with little notice. She sighed, running her hand through her sweaty brunette hair, and gazed up at the unforgiving sun. "Of all days, it had to be today," she muttered as she fixed her hair into a ponytail. "How are things on the front?" Flynn asked, refocusing on the task at hand.

Thane checked his circls device before responding, "The Rean horde is still at a distance, and the 3rd regiment is doing an excellent job of slowing their progress."

The young couple began to argue outside their car “We’re not taking the ship to Stonewall, Alex! We’ve never even been to Stonewall! There’s nothing for us there. We are driving out west to my sister in Jarlin and that’s final.” Maddie exclaimed, her voice trembling.

Alex shook his head, his face set in determination. "But the authorities said we have to go to a walled city. Stonewall is our best bet."

“Fine then we go to Jarlin and then to my cousins in Dalmore.” Maddie huffed and climbed into the passenger side of the car, slamming the door behind her.

Thane looked at Flynn and she immediately knew what he was thinking. “Let it go,” she said calmly. “We can’t force them to take the ship and I’m sure a lot of people will choose to go their own way. As long as they are out of town by three o’clock it doesn’t really matter where they go. We give them the tools to survive but it’s up to them to choose if they want to use them. Anyway, I think I’ll go check on the third wave’s drop ship," Flynn said, crossing the street. "It should be ready to depart soon. Meet me at the field when you're ready."

Thane continued his solitary walk, taking in the sights of the town. It was a beautiful place, and he couldn't help but wonder what it had been like in its prime. The thought of its impending destruction weighed heavily on his mind. In just a few hours, the town would be reduced to ashes.

He tried to focus on a more optimistic outcome. If the Rean horde was still far enough away when the bombers arrived, it was possible that the scorcher pods might miss the town entirely. The thought offered a glimmer of hope, but Thane knew better than to get his hopes up.

As he walked, Thane noticed a homemade banner dangling from a second-floor window. "VEXING VEX" was scrawled in red paint, a stark expression of discontent. He remembered how these banners proliferated across Alister after Elara Vex's presidency began. Many held her responsible for their troubles, a sentiment that filled Thane with a quiet sorrow.

Thane's thoughts were interrupted by an older man storming down the sidewalk, his face red with frustration. "Why do we need to evacuate? I thought Talenstar was working on a cure!" he exclaimed.

Thane stood his ground, sympathizing with the man's desperation. "They are, allegedly. But we haven't heard from them in a month. We can't wait for a solution that may never come. We need to act now."

The man's expression turned incredulous. "You're willing to destroy my store, my life's work, without a fight?”

Thane's voice remained calm, but firm. "I’m sorry, Orders are law and law is life, sir”

The man's hands shot up, his eyes blazing with fury. "Of course you are! Why would any of you think for yourselves! You're all just mindless followers, blind to her betrayal. And where is she now? Vanished, leaving us to face the consequences of her actions!"

Thane stood firm, his expression empathetic but resolute. "I understand your frustration, sir. But I'm afraid I can't change the orders."

"Who do I talk to about this?" the man demanded, his voice trembling with desperation. "I can't have my store blown up. You have to call off the strike!"

Thane's voice remained calm. "I'm sorry, sir. I'm not authorized to alter the mission parameters. My role is to ensure the evacuation proceeds as planned."

The man's face reddened. "What kind of captain are you if you can't even make decisions? You're useless!" He spat the words, then turned and stomped away, muttering, "This whole government is useless!"

As he walked away, Thane couldn't shake the feeling that they were losing more than they were saving. The Rean were a relentless foe, but was incineration truly the only solution? The evacuation mission had ravaged Alister, leaving countless families without homes, livelihoods, or loved ones. Thane wondered if the ends justified the means, or if they were merely trading one evil for another.

The field was a sea of abandoned cars and anxious faces, all focused on the drop ship looming before them. Alister soldiers yelled orders, trying to maintain order amidst the chaos.

"Single file, now!"

"Everyone will get on board, don't worry!"

"Another ship is en route, just wait!"

"No pushing, keep the line moving!"

"One bag per person, leave the rest behind!"

"Space is limited, make it count!"

"Wait your turn, don't rush!"

The air was thick with tension and desperation, the smell of engine smoke and sweat hanging heavy over the crowd.

Flynn surveyed the chaotic scene before her, the sounds of desperation and frustration filling the air. One soldier's voice rose above the din, his face red with exertion. "I said only one bag, ma'am!" he yelled at an elderly woman clutching a large luggage bag and a backpack.

The woman's eyes pleaded with the soldier. "But I need them both! Please, just this once..."

The soldier's expression remained unyielding. "You can't bring them both! It's one bag per person, that's the rule!"

The woman's grip on the bags tightened. "No! I won't leave anything behind!"

With a swift motion, the soldier tore the backpack off her back. The woman lunged forward, grabbing the bottom of the bag as the soldier tried to pull it away. "Give it to me!" she shouted.

In the struggle, the bag tore open, spilling contents onto the ground. A small cat darted out of the bag and vanished into the sea of cars. The woman's cry of despair echoed through the field. "Winston!"

Flynn sighed, understanding the necessity of the one bag per person rule, despite its harshness. With so many people and limited space on the drop ship, allowing everyone to bring multiple bags would lead to chaos. People would bring unnecessary items, leaving no room for those who truly needed to board. She empathized with the elderly woman's distress but knew the rule was in place for the greater good.

Flynn's gaze shifted to two men locked in a heated argument. "I was here first!" one man bellowed, his face reddening.

"Back of the line, pal!" The other man scoffed, "Like hell you were!"

The tension between them was palpable, and the crowd around them grew uneasy. The first man's hands balled into fists, and he took a step closer to his opponent. "You calling me a liar?" he snarled.

The second man sneered, "Get out of here!" With a sudden surge of anger, the first man pushed the second, who stumbled backward. In a flash, the first man grabbed the second by the shirt, his fist cocked and ready to strike.

Just as a punch seemed inevitable, a soldier burst between them, his voice thundering. "Enough! Knock it off! Everyone will have a chance to board!" The crowd exhaled collectively. Some people looked away while others continued to watch and murmur with a mix of fear and fascination. The two men glared at each other, their chests heaving.

Flynn's gaze shifted from the two men as a woman's panicked voice pierced the air. "Ava? Ava? Has anyone seen my daughter? Ava?!" The woman's eyes darted wildly, her face etched with desperation. Her brown hair was disheveled, and her clothes were stained with dirt. Flynn's heart went out to her, but she felt powerless to help. The woman's cries grew more urgent, and she pushed through the crowd, grabbing onto strangers' arms. "Please, have you seen her? She's only five years old!" The crowd's previous murmurs now turned to anxious whispers, and the soldiers exchanged uneasy glances.

While the mother's desperate voice echoed through the crowd, a little girl with a large bushel of curly red hair sat crying alone, her small body tucked behind one of the cars in the field. Her sobs were muffled, but her distress was intense. Suddenly, a black boot appeared in front of her, its presence commanding attention. The girl slowly looked up, her eyes tracing the boot to the green camo pants and the towering figure of a man. The sun behind him cast his face in shadow, making it impossible to discern his features. The girl's tears slowed as she gazed up at the mysterious figure, her expression a mix of fear and curiosity.

The man knelt down beside her, his movements gentle. The girl noticed the words embroidered on his jacket said “Captain Thane.” He unbuckled his helmet, revealing a narrow, clean-shaven face, and placed it on the ground next to him. The little girl's gaze met his, taking in the dark hair matted down by a thick layer of sweat, and the rectangular glasses with thick black rims that framed his bright blue eyes. His expression was soft, yet guarded, as if hesitant to reveal too much.

"Why are you crying?" he asked gently, his voice soft and soothing.

"I'm scared," the little girl sobbed, her small body shaking. "I don't want to leave, but my mom says we can't stay here. She says there are monsters outside. People will come and burn our house down to get rid of them."

Thane's expression remained calm, but his eyes betrayed a flicker of concern.

"I don't want them to burn our house down," the girl wailed, her face a mess of snot and tears. "But I don't want the monsters to get us either." Her voice cracked, and she buried her face in her hands, overcome with fear.

"You will be safe," he tried to reassure her, his voice soft and gentle. "You'll be taken to a new home, and we'll get rid of the monsters."

But the girl's tears only intensified. "I don't want to go to a new home! I like this home!" she wailed.

Thane's expression turned thoughtful, realizing his words had only made things worse. He needed a new approach to calm her down, something to ease her fears and make her feel secure.

"What's your name?" he asked, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

The girl wiped away tears and snot with her sleeve, leaving a smudge on her cheek. "Ava," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Thane's face lit up with a playful grin. "Ava!" He exclaimed, plopping down in front of her with a dramatic flourish, kicking his legs up in front of him. "Whoa!"

Ava's giggle was small at first, but grew louder as she took in the silly sight.

Thane glanced around, pretending to check for eavesdroppers, before leaning in close, his hand cupped around his mouth. "Are you a princess?" he whispered, his eyes sparkling with mischief.

"No," Ava giggled, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Are you sure?" Thane struck a pose, hands on his hips, his face mock-serious. "Because that definitely sounds like the name of a princess."

Ava's grin grew wider. "I'm not a princess."

Thane stood up, bowed low, and swept his arm across his body. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Your Majesty."

Ava's giggles turned into a fit of laughter. "I'm not a princess!" she protested, her voice barely audible through her mirth.

Thanes' eyes widened in inspiration as he reached into his jacket pocket and produced a shining silver metal. The badge was beautifully engraved with a string of leaves and an Alister "A" in the center, suspended from a navy blue ribbon.

Ava's curiosity was piqued. "What's that?" she asked, her voice full of wonder.

Thane's smile grew as he carefully pinned the badge to Ava's shirt. "It's a badge of bravery," he explained, his voice filled with significance. "And it's magic."

Ava's face lit up like a lantern. "Magic!" she breathed, her eyes sparkling with enchantment.

"That's right," Thane said with a grin. "If you wear the badge, it will make you brave... So, do you feel brave?"

Ava's smile faltered, and she shook her head. "No."

Thane's face turned serious, and he took the badge back, holding it in the palm of his hand. With a mock-stern expression, he shook his fist at the badge. "Listen, badge! You're supposed to make this little girl brave, hear me?" He then held the badge up to his ear, nodding as if listening. "Uh-huh. Oh, you'll do it. Well, great."

Ava's eyes widened in surprise. "It talks?" she asked, her voice full of curiosity.

Thane chuckled, placing the badge back on Ava's shirt. "Oh, yeah. We go way back."

"Thank you," Ava said, her voice muffled against Thane’s neck as she wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug.

Thane scooped her up, cradling her in his arms, and picked up his helmet with his free hand. As he began walking, Ava continued to hug him, her small body clinging to his.

"What's your name?" she asked, her voice barely audible.

Thane thought for a moment before responding, "You can call me Mr. Thane." His deep voice rumbled beneath her ear, making her feel safe and protected.

"Ava! Ava!" her mother cried, rushing over to her as Thane emerged from the sea of cars, Ava still in his arms. "Thank you!" she exclaimed, her voice trembling with gratitude, as she took Ava from Thane.

"Of course," Thane replied, his face betraying a hint of sadness, as if he'd grown attached to the little girl.

Ava threw her arms around her mother's neck, and the mother produced a stuffed pink creature from behind her back. "Tibi!" Ava squealed, embracing the toy in a hug so tight it seemed like it could crush the toy if it had bones. The mother smiled, tears of joy in her eyes, as she watched her daughter reunite with her beloved toy.

The electronic voice of a woman echoed from the drop ship at the end of the long line, "Now departing for Stonewall, please stand clear of the door." The door hissed as the mechanics engaged, and the crowd surged forward in a frenzy. People pushed and shoved each other, desperate to squeeze onto the ship.

Ava and her mother managed to slip aboard, but in the chaos, Ava's grip on Tibi faltered. "Tibi!" she wailed, reaching over her mother's shoulder as the toy slipped from her grasp. Thane reacted swiftly, scooping up the toy and stretching out his arm to return it to Ava. But it was too late. The sea of bodies between them was too dense, and the door slid shut with a quiet click, separating them. A wall of soldiers swiftly formed between the ship and the frantic crowd, blocking any attempts to climb aboard as the ship prepared to depart.

The chaos erupted into a cacophony of frantic questions and demands. "When's the next ship coming?" someone yelled.

"We're running out of time!" another voice screamed.

A woman's anguished cry pierced the air: "My family was on that ship, and you let it leave without me!"

The soldiers struggled to maintain control, bellowing orders in response. "Get back!"

"Form a line!"

"Another ship will be arriving soon!" But their words were drowned out by the surging crowd, each person's panic and fear feeding into the growing hysteria.

Thane gazed down at the pink toy in his hand, his eyes glazing over as Ava's innocent face flashed in his mind. He couldn't shake the ache of loss, and his fingers instinctively sought out the familiar beads of the bracelet in his breast pocket. A solitary tear escaped his eye as he released his grip on Tibi, letting it fall to the ground. The toy was instantly trampled, lost in the chaos as the crowd surged forward, eager to board the next drop ship.

As Thane turned away from the crowd, his senses snapped back to high alert, heightened by the growing din of gunfire in the distance. His heart racing, he listened intently. The Rean were closing in fast.

Lieutenant Chen's panicked voice crackled over the circl, "The Rean horde has grown exponentially! We're being overrun and we’re out of incinerate charges!” Gunshots and screams of soldiers filled the background, and Thane's grip on his weapon tightened.

"That was practically a whole clip just to kill one of them." someone yelled in the distance.

"We can't hold them off!" Chen's voice was laced with desperation. A blood-curdling Rean scream echoed through the circl, followed by Chen's own terrified wail. Then, silence. The circl had cut out.

As the circl went silent, a deafening shriek pierced the air, making Thane's skin crawl. He turned toward the forest, his heart racing, as the crowd fell silent around him. Another shriek pierced the air, and then the soldiers burst from the woods, firing wildly as they retreated. Thane's gaze followed theirs, and he saw the Rean emerge from the trees - a dark, unstoppable tide pouring into the clearing. He flinched at the sight of their contorted jaws and sunken eyes, fixed on their prey with an unnerving intensity. Their stiff limbs propelled them forward with an unnatural gait, and Thane's mind struggled to reconcile the twisted flesh with the remnants of dark blue Kalv uniforms, a haunting reminder of what they once were.

Panic set in as people trampled each other in a frantic scramble to board the ship. Soldiers joined the fray against the rean. Their bullets seemed to merely irritate them before they would actually die. They kept coming, driven solely by an insatiable rage to kill. The robotic woman's voice of the drop ship spoke, calm and detached, "Now departing for Stonewall, please stand clear of the door." The serene tone only deepened the panic, as people climbed over each other in a wild rush to escape.

The air was thick with the smell of smoke, sweat, and fear as the drop ship's engines roared to life. The door began to close, but one man got wedged between the closing door and the side of the ship. He screamed in terror as the door pinched his waist, trying to close. A soldier on board planted a boot on the man's head, trying to push him out. But the man held on for dear life, his knuckles white with fear. Finally, the soldier stomped on the man's hand, and he let go with a loud shriek as he fell to the ground.

A Rean pounced on the fallen man, its clammy gray skin and foggy dead eyes striking fear into Thane's heart. The Rean began to tear into the man with its nails and teeth, the sound of ripping flesh and crunching bone filling the air. Thane unloaded his clip into the Rean, the gunfire deafening in his ears, before it rolled off the man in a dead heap. But it was too late; the man's intestines lay scattered around his body, his eyes frozen in a permanent scream. The dead Rean deflated like a balloon, releasing a puff of green toxic fog, carrying the stench of death and decay. Thane quickly covered his face, fearing the fog's deadly effects.

The Rean horde surged forward like a dark, twisted tide, crashing into the drop ship with incredible force. The ship rocked violently to one side before stabilizing, but the Rean continued to pile up, their bodies pouring over each other like a macabre, flesh-and-blood waterfall. The cockpit flashed red, alarms blared at ear-shattering decibels, and the engines whined in protest, straining to support the extra weight. Thane's stomach lurched as the ship shuddered and rattled near him. One of the engines blew in a violent explosion of sparks and smoke. The ship dropped to the side, then the other engine blew, and the ship came crashing down, sending dirt and Rean flying in every direction. Thane's world went dark as the impact threw him back. He landed hard against the ground, his head spinning with fear and disorientation.

Thane struggled to sit up, his head spinning, and his vision blurry. As he tried to make out the dark, sleek silhouette soaring through the sky toward him, the world came rushing back. His heart sank, and his blood ran cold. It was the bomber! The town was supposed to be evacuated by now!

Flynn yanked Thane to his feet, firing her weapon erratically at the Rean as she desperately tried to save anyone within reach. But it was a futile effort. The cars scattered across the field hindered the fleeing crowd, forcing them to weave and dodge around the obstacles. Meanwhile, the Rean bounded over the cars with ease, their twisted bodies propelled by an unnatural strength, as they pounced on their victims and dragged them down.

Pilot LeSalle's voice crackled through Flynn's circl, laced with urgency. "commander, what's happening down there?"

Flynn's fingers flew across the circls device as she hesitated, her eyes scanning the chaos. "We're still trying to understand, Pilot. Scan reports indicate two Rean hordes merged into one."

LeSalle's tone turned grim. "We can't bomb the area with civilians present. What are your orders, commander?"

Flynn's gaze darted across the circl, her mind racing. She typed rapidly, her eyes locked on the screen. "Working on a solution, Pilot. New orders uploading now."

The coordinates flashed on the tablet, and LeSalle's voice acknowledged, "Orders received, commander. Altering course. Take cover, commander. Now."

Thane and Flynn sprinted away from the impending inferno as the bomber thundered overhead. White streaks rained down from the ship's underside, like a deadly hailstorm. A second passed before the scorcher pods ignited, unleashing a maelstrom of flames that engulfed the field and forest. The Rean's screams echoed through the chaos as their twisted bodies became silhouettes against the backdrop of orange and yellow flames. The heat was so intense that Thane feared his skin would melt away, like wax in a furnace.

As the last flames died down, Flynn and Thane surveyed the devastation. The soldiers had contained the Rean threat, but the true cost was only now becoming clear. The people, exhausted and traumatized, wandered the ruins with vacant eyes. What little hope they had harbored was extinguished, snuffed out by the military's failed evacuation. The air reeked of despair, and the only sound was the soft murmurs of desperation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back