Transcendental Martial Arts

Kyeudo

One Thousand Club
This idea has probably come up before, but what does everyone think about a Martial Arts Style that has its pre-form Charms as Terrestrial Martial Arts Charms and its post-form Charms as Celestial Martial Arts Charms? Does it violate any setting principles?

I like the idea a lot. In addition, it seems like there are a number of already existing martial arts styles that are similar to this (ex. quicksilver hand of dreams from SotM). I guess the problem would be that those poor mortals who started to learn it could never accomplish the celestrial bits. Also, it seems like most martial arts charms have radically different power levels based on their locations in the tree (I'm feeling three power levels are generally: pre-form, post-form, capstone). Would the terrestrial bit be terrestrial level pre-form? If so we're talking about a pretty big jump in usefulness. This may be jarring for the player, but it's a huge difference for the ST to think about when designing scenarios for the players.

I like the idea, but I can fear that the Terrestrial MA charms will be pretty useless when you have mastered the whole style.

Most of the time when a Celestial learns a TMA style it is with a single purpose, like Golden Janissary to have a quick weapon against Creatures of Darkness. And when they learn a CMA it is to have a all purpose weapon of combat.

With this style you will have a bunch of focused charms that are way below your powerlevel, but you need to learn them just to get to the usefull part.

skafte said:
I like the idea, but I can fear that the Terrestrial MA charms will be pretty useless when you have mastered the whole style.
Most of the time when a Celestial learns a TMA style it is with a single purpose, like Golden Janissary to have a quick weapon against Creatures of Darkness. And when they learn a CMA it is to have a all purpose weapon of combat.

With this style you will have a bunch of focused charms that are way below your powerlevel, but you need to learn them just to get to the usefull part.
I dunno, I'd rather have Golden Exhalation Style over Righteous Devil Style for a Celestial.

Captain Hesperus

skafte said:

I was thinking about having it focus mostly on movement instead of beating people about the head. Yes, there will be Charms for helping you kill people, but I was thinking something more parkata urbatsu than your traditional kung-fu.

Maybe trans-tier styles could supplant Enlightenment Charms? This makes more sense to me in my mind -- a sifu judges that one of his pupils is suit to receive higher secrets of Creation and initiates her into an esoteric style that she has never seen before. As she climbs up the ladders and masters the techniques, katas ans Charms, her Essence is brought to a peak point of her tier... As she masters its Form and assumes it for the first time, she gains a total perspective on her previous circle of martial arts and learns to perceive more complex martial secrets.

...so it would start like a high-end Terrestrial style up to Form, with the Form Charm having the Enlightening keyword. Post-Form Charms would be Celestial in power and the mastery of the style would allow the character to learn other Celestial styles.

It's a neat idea. In particular built-in enlightenment would make the style make more sense, as well as be more useful to terrestrials.

As for celestial exalts, remember that terrestrial martial arts can easily be half price (swallowing the lotus root, etc). And terrestrial charms tend to be cheaper, too.

skafte said:

Maybe have scaling effects, with enhanced features once you have mastered the form (and maybe another effect for mastering the pinnacle?)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back