• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern โ€”๐™๐™ƒ๐™€ ๐™‘๐˜ผ๐™‰๐™„๐™Ž๐™ƒ๐™„๐™‰๐™‚โ€” ๐˜ข ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜บ.

idiot

๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ซ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ.

• intro

wrong turns

lovett

overview.

T
    he incessant chanting dug its claws into Violet's psyche, greedily eating away any semblance of sanity she had left over. Hands feebly swatting low hanging branches, while her burning legs propelled her further in an attempt to get away from it. Violet had been hanging onto that sliver of hope for the past few hours but it had all but dissipated. Fear was all that kept her going. The only motivation that allowed her legs to moved past exhaustion.

The chanting seemed to get louder the more she ran.

Closer.

Amongst the chanting she swore it would whisper her nameโ€”reverberating off the towering trees that seemed to close in around her. Their winding roots swept across the forest floor, seemingly needing to breath in this claustrophobic hell that was Prospect Ridge Forest. Violet had always had an adventurous streak, but that had been kicked into overdrive after her remission. She wanted to travel the world, see all the beauty it had to offer. Photos on social media and travel blogs she followed had been posting about Prospect Ridge Forest for years. Violet saw what the hype was all about when she first arrivedโ€”it was breath-taking. Now she wondered if something more sinister had lured her here.

Violet's tongue felt dry and useless in her mouthโ€”she didnโ€™t know when the last time water had be raised to her lips. Her own screams and cries had ended long ago. Her face was smeared with a medley of dirt and moss, only two streaks from dried tears revealed her freckled skin underneath.

The forest was aliveโ€”animals joined in the symphony of chants. Leaves and twigs were crushed under the weight of the thing chasing her. Violet didnโ€™t bother turning around anymoreโ€”it skulked in the thick foliage. It seemed to mock her. It had the chance to kill her when she first stared into those eyes. Yet it didn't move until she was swallowed up by the forest. It enjoyed the chaseโ€”the hunt.

One of the battered hiking boots her parents had bought her caught under one of the roots. Tired muscles couldn't even keep her upright. Violet hit the ground hard, tumbling down an incline as rocks, twigs and roots jabbed into her like a pincushion. A final rock await her in her descent, sending searing white pain through her whole body. At this point Violet couldn't even tell where the rock had struck. Once the dizziness subsided, her fingers felt around her forehead, touching something wet.

Violet almost gleefully sobbed at the idea of it being water, yet her blurry vision only saw red smeared on her fingers. She didn't have time to assess the injury. Her lungs burned. The descent had robbed her of precious air and time. Violet's body protested and yearned to remain on the forest floor.

The chanting grew louder.

It was over. She could finally rest.

Heavy eyes closed, succumbing to defeat. The chanting was buzzing in her earsโ€”almost hypnotic at this point.

Yet her heart yearnedโ€”seeing her parents again and apologising for this stupid crusade she had been on for the past year. Violet dug her chipped nails into the wet soil. The thought of her twin brother pulling her into a bear hug. Aching feet found purchase on the ground. Answering her ex-partner's missed calls and telling them she loved them. Violet pulled herself to her hands and knees, ignoring the heaviness swimming in her head. The friends she cherished being at her side during her next adventure. Violet had a new surge of energy swell in her aching bodyโ€”it was beyond adrenaline and exhaustion but it was enough to get her stumbling to her feet and onwards.

An anonymous source had phoned the Windermere Police Department, claiming that someone called "VioletVentures" had gone missing in their neighbouring forest. The police disregarded the claims until twenty-four hours later, parents of one twenty-two year old, Violet Harrington, had phoned police claiming their daughter had not been responding to calls. The parents referred police to Violet's Instagram handle (@vioiletventures) which had a healthy following of users who witnessed her adventures across the United States. Violet had been travelling on-and-off for the past year since her remission from Hodgkin Lymphoma.

Using Violet's Instagram, the police were able to pinpoint that her last known destination was in fact in Windermereโ€”a small town in Maine, USA. The town was nestled at the base of the Silverpeak Mountain Range. The town was once a booming mining town, aptly known for large deposits of silver ore. Now that most of the deposits have been wringed dry, income comes in the form of tourism from the Prospect Ridge Forest that once housed one of the larger mines. Prospect Ridge Forest is full of dense vegetation and foliage, alongside some stunning landmarks amongst their dozen hiking trails.

The last post featured a picture of Violet which was presumably taken by a stranger as she stressed a 'solo-journey' to friends and family. To those who knew Violet, they would know she was the gregarious sort and wasn't uncommon for her to do so. Her signature grin almost took up most of her face, scrunched up in what almost appeared fake laugh but her eyes sparkled with nothing but genuineness. An older, film camera around her neck and geared with a small backpack and evidently dressed for a hike which was confirmed by the caption underneath:

"@violetventures
    โœจ Okay...I know...I know I said White Mountain National Forest was my last stop in Maine but...I COULDN'T STOP MYSELF!! โœจ

I just checked into the cutest little hotel in a cozy town called Windermere, and I couldn't resist squeezing in one more adventure before I head home (I promise mom and dad this is REALLY the last one ๐Ÿ˜…). Prospect Ridge Forest is calling my name, and from what Iโ€™ve seen in other posts during my researchโ€”it looks beyond gorgeous๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿž๏ธ

The views here are supposed to be crazy! I cannot WAIT to share them with all of you! Seriously, I think this will be the highlight of my photos in Maine. Thank you for coming along with me on this wild rideโ€”it means the world to have you all as part of my journey. And stay tuned because I may or may not have a teaser ready for my Christmas trip that is already booked hehe ๐Ÿ‘€

Until next time, keep shining and spreading the love! ๐Ÿ’–โœจ
    #Wanderlust #HikingAdventures #MaineMagic #NatureTherapy #ProspectRidge #SoloTraveller"

The already scarce police department was only able send a handful of officers on a search party the following day. Searching the main trails of Prospect Ridge Forest, they found no signs of Violet. After the search, her parents had travelled from their home state of New York to put pressure on the police.

Seventy-two hours since her last social media post, a local to Windermere had handed in an old film camera to the police. The camera was labelled with pink, flowery writing: 'Violet Harrington', and a phone number that matched the one her parents had provided. Violet's parents explained that it was a gift from her grandmother who was an avid photographer and had given it to her when she passed away.

The film was developed and had over a dozen photographs that Violet presumably had taken for her followersโ€”predominately sweeping views of the forest's landscape and her smiling face in numerous poses amongst the key landmarks on the trails. The rest of the film was dedicated to a singular location that was taken in the dark. Thankfully the camera was equipped with a bright flash, which allowed the exposure to reveal a landscape captured in a forest. The purpose for these photos was unknown to police but surmised at this point dehydration and sleep-deprivation played a factor in the odd behaviour.

Unfortunately the police informed her parents that it was highly unlikely Violet would be found alive, referring to the high number of missing person cases that involve people who go venturing into a forestโ€”especially if someone strayed from the designated trail/paths.

For the time being, Violet's parents were given a photocopy of all the photos which they sent to Violet's twinโ€”Nathaniel. He was currently situated in his parent's home, with both Violet and his friendship group, alongside their younger sibling were also present when the file was sent to him. Nathaniel printed them out, some of the others requesting their own copies for whatever purpose.

Someone from the group came forwards to Nathaniel, their face pale, pointing to a dark, blurry shape that was settled beside a tree in the collection of night-time photos the camera captured. Nathaniel almost didn't believe them until he carded through the other photos and saw the same shape situated in different areas in the treeline. Someone who was more tech-savvy heightened the brightness and exposure of the photos and everyone stared at the computer screen in shock.

The dark shape was tall and spindly, with matted fur jutting from its limbs. It had a face that while difficult to see, was not one that belonged to a humanโ€”it was too elongated and its features were almost animal. What scared Nathaniel most of all were what appeared to be it's green eyes.

Nathaniel didn't remember who even suggested they pile up in someone's van and drive eight hours to Windermere but they all had one goal in mind...

Bring Violet home.

โ€” PREFACE

Hi everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read all the words above I splattered on a screen. So this roleplay is heavily inspired by a book I recently devoured titled, Hunted, written by Darcy Coates. Very similar premise with some other inspiration from other media like The Blair Witch Project, The Ritual, REC, Until Dawn and Red River Road. The premise simply put is a group of friends going to find their missing friend/sister in the middle of a forest that may or may not house someone or something that caused her disappearance. I plan to keep you all guessing if this something supernatural or something more 'ordinary'. The roleplay will only be short-term as it will follow our unfortunate search party over the coming days as they find out what happened to Violet. If this sounds like your jam, why not express your interest! If this garners enough attention I will make the relevant threads. For now, post below with your interest and if you have any questions after reading the thread then don't be afraid to ask.

intro

roles

rules

THE VANISHING,

evil lurks within the forest.

genre

horror, mystery, survival

status

seeking interest

gms

spots open

5-8

lore

โ™กcoded by uxieโ™ก

Last edited:
oooo im so in!

a fantastic premise omg <3

been looking to ease myself back into writing and i've kept putting it off, but something so self-contained and short-term is too perfect of an opportunity to pass up; i simply cannot resist oh my GOD, connor. you had me sold the moment i read the media inspiration; it's about damn time RPN has a folk horror group RP and you've knocked it out of the park AGAIN !!

ahh thank you for the interest so far everyone !! Iโ€™ll get a temp ooc thread up in the coming day (or today just depending on my schedule). will then get the character thread up after. :-)

been looking to ease myself back into writing and i've kept putting it off, but something so self-contained and short-term is too perfect of an opportunity to pass up; i simply cannot resist oh my GOD, connor. you had me sold the moment i read the media inspiration; it's about damn time RPN has a folk horror group RP and you've knocked it out of the park AGAIN !!
honestly the reason I created this too. I wanted to ease myself back into writing and also finally complete a roleplay as a GM. hopefully that means I will be able to commit to more longer form roleplays that I have ideas for in the future.

Need this

omg an idiot rpg? i been waiting for years after that apocalypse idea haha i loved it so much , i hope u have been good!!!

Interested, but I have to askโ€ฆ

What exactly is an overpowered character in this game? Will there be a lot of fighting both NPCs and other PCs?

omg an idiot rpg? i been waiting for years after that apocalypse idea haha i loved it so much , i hope u have been good!!!
hehe Iโ€™ve been tryingโ€”just life been popping up and keeping me from using my brain for writing. Iโ€™ve been a lot better and the same goes for you!!
Interested, but I have to askโ€ฆ

What exactly is an overpowered character in this game? Will there be a lot of fighting both NPCs and other PCs?
hmmโ€ฆwell based on the story, the cast will be college-aged so roughly 21-24, considering they come from the same friendship group. overpowered Iโ€™d say comes more in the form of realism. for example, I donโ€™t expect a 20-something to be at the top of their field in whatever area and/or with extreme expertise with survival, medical, navigation, combat skills, etc. nothing wrong with experience in them and I do encourage some skills that could be considered useful that offer different, diverse skills among the cast that require them to rely on one another. however, I find the joy in reading/writing these stories comes in the inexperience and trying to navigate impossible situations and growing from it. kind of boring (in my opinion) when everyone is so skilled and capable that there is no conflict or challenge. so yeahโ€”I hope that answers your question!

as for conflictโ€”that depends on the dynamic that forms in the group between these characters considering the decisions they make and the situation they are subjected to. as for NPCS, well that depends on whatโ€™s in the woods, hehe. ;-)

hehe Iโ€™ve been tryingโ€”just life been popping up and keeping me from using my brain for writing. Iโ€™ve been a lot better and the same goes for you!!

hmmโ€ฆwell based on the story, the cast will be college-aged so roughly 21-24, considering they come from the same friendship group. overpowered Iโ€™d say comes more in the form of realism. for example, I donโ€™t expect a 20-something to be at the top of their field in whatever area and/or with extreme expertise with survival, medical, navigation, combat skills, etc. nothing wrong with experience in them and I do encourage some skills that could be considered useful that offer different, diverse skills among the cast that require them to rely on one another. however, I find the joy in reading/writing these stories comes in the inexperience and trying to navigate impossible situations and growing from it. kind of boring (in my opinion) when everyone is so skilled and capable that there is no conflict or challenge. so yeahโ€”I hope that answers your question!

as for conflictโ€”that depends on the dynamic that forms in the group between these characters considering the decisions they make and the situation they are subjected to. as for NPCS, well that depends on whatโ€™s in the woods, hehe. ;-)

Please reserve a spot for me.

ooc threadโ€”
is up and running. any questions, queries and chatter require within!
also looking forward to hearing character concepts and ideas! :-)

little bump before bed !!
hoping to get the character app thread up in the coming days โ€” head over to the ooc in the meantime if you are interested! :-)

character app threadโ€”
so finally had free time to whip this bad boy up! head on over and feel free to get started on an app for one of our unfortunate search party members!
let me know as usual if you have any questions. no deadlines as of yet but looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with!! :-)

Pepsionne Pepsionne SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles Talathel Talathel Athens Athens Warrior Spirit Warrior Spirit demonology demonology mzrarus mzrarus purplecowdutch purplecowdutch oxicodone oxicodone Eviexe Eviexe lisbeth lisbeth Wayne Wayne ForlornObserver ForlornObserver KAOS KAOS
(I think that is everyone whose been interested so far ???)

bump!
still early days to express interest and get a character app ready! will set a deadline over the coming days! for those interested head over to the ooc for any questions and the cs to apply! :-)

deadline for characters apps!
Iโ€™ve decided to set a tentative date for the 30th september for character apps. hopefully this will give everyone enough time and should allow any new people interested to have plenty of time to apply! :-)

deadline for characters apps!
Iโ€™ve decided to set a tentative date for the 30th september for character apps. hopefully this will give everyone enough time and should allow any new people interested to have plenty of time to apply! :-)

Hey thanks. I've been procrastinating things for this RP. Apologies. I'll do my best.

If I miss the deadline, forget about me. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back