• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Last Dragon Riders | Fantasy, War, Early 20th Century

Jackson123

The meaning of life is the fine game of nil
Roleplay Type(s)
Since time immemorial, dragons ruled the skies, their riders forming an elite class of knighthood revered for millennias as both military leaders and cultural icons. However, the march of progress has begun to challenge their place in a rapidly industrializing world.

In 1903, the first successful aircraft flight marked the dawn of a new era—an era where mechanized engines began to outpace the speed and maneuverability of even the most well-trained dragon riders. As aircraft technology advanced, dragon riders found themselves increasingly sidelined. What was once the backbone of military power was now relegated to reconnaissance and messenger roles, if not disbanded altogether.

As nations shift toward mechanical innovation, tensions rise, alliances harden, and an inevitable conflict looms—a Great War unlike anything seen before.

_999d6bbf-3ef1-43e6-a4e8-805e733dfbba.jpg

For over a century, the Concert of Europa, a diplomatic framework that kept the continent in balance, maintained peace after the last great conflict. The delicate web of alliances and treaties managed to prevent large-scale wars, even as industrial and colonial ambitions grew. However, the weakening and eventual disintegration of the Anatolia Sultanate power in the region of Thracia had set off a chain reaction of alliances and tensions that the Concert of Europa could no longer contain.

The power vacuum left in Thracia became a flashpoint for conflict, exacerbating existing rivalries. Two major alliances formed, solidifying the political landscape of into two opposing camps, The Alliance and The United Empires. both armed with industrialized armies and new aerial warfare capabilities. Diplomacy frayed, and nationalist fervor ignited as long-simmering tensions boiled over.

In June 1914, the assassination of an Ostmark-Hungarica Archduke in Thracia triggered a cascade of events that would plunge the world into the largest conflict ever seen. The Great War, as it would come to be known, would claim the lives of entire generation to come.

Countries & Alliances:

The Alliance:

United Kingdom of Albion
The world's premier naval power and a beacon of industrial might, the Royal Dragon Corps is one of the oldest users of dragon riders. While dragons still serve as symbols of national pride, Albion has heavily invested in aircraft technology, preparing its forces for a new kind of war. Its fleet controls the trade routes of Europa and beyond, ensuring Albion’s colonial dominance. Despite its modern strength, Albion’s army is small compared to its allies, relying heavily on the Kingdom of Gallia and Tsardom of Ruthenia.

Kingdom of Gallia
A proud kingdom of art, magic, and tradition, Gallia’s history of dragon riders is rich and storied, with their famed Armée Royale des Cieux once feared across the continent. However, Gallia too has embraced the shift to industrial warfare, with airships and aircraft starting to take precedence in their military. Fiercely proud of its cavalry and aerial knights, Gallia views dragons as symbols of national identity. However, their numbers are dwindling, and the army is slowly modernizing with new artillery and airplanes. Gallia shares a historic rivalry with Teutonia, and its alliance with Albion and Ruthenia keeps it secure but increasingly dependent on its partners.

Tsardom of Ruthenia
Vast, cold, and mysterious, Ruthenia maintains an impressive cavalry of dragons, especially frost-breathing drakes bred in its northern mountains. However, internal strife and outdated technology make Ruthenia a fragile ally. It aligns with Albion and Gallia to prevent encroachment from Teutonia, with whom it shares an uneasy border.

Empire of Oyashima (Expeditionary Forces)
An outsider to the politics of Europa, Oyashima is a rising imperial power from the East. Though they have never relied on dragons, Oyashima is known for its mastery of the powerful and mysterious Onmyōdō oriental magics, including illusions, weather manipulation, and summoning creatures of legend. Their military forces include both traditional samurai and modernized fleets, the latter of which have been dispatched to aid Albion in the coming war. Oyashima's magics, while different from Europan traditions, are feared and respected across the world.

United Empires:

Empire of Teutonia
The industrial heart of Europa, Teutonia has long been Gallia’s greatest rival. Teutonia is home to a proud traditional Drachenreiter Korps, but under the leadership of its current Kaiser, the empire has aggressively modernized its military, shifting focus to mechanized warfare. Teutonia’s advanced techonolgy and industrial capacity have made it the dominant force in the United Empires bloc, forging alliances with Ostmark-Hungarica and the Anatolia Sultanate. Teutonia is the most advanced industrial power in Europa, leading in the production of airplanes, tanks, and artillery. Its mechanized air force Luftstreitkräfte is unmatched, and its war doctrine emphasizes overwhelming firepower and mobility. The empire seeks to expand across Europa, aiming to unite the continent under its iron rule.

Anatolia Sultanate
The crumbling Sultanate in Thracia has been in decline for decades, its empire stretched thin and its once-legendary dragon legions reduced to a shadow of their former selves. The Sultanate clings to power with the backing of Teutonia, using what remains of its dragon forces in a desperate bid to stave off collapse. Their alliance with Teutonia is one of necessity rather than choice, as the Sultanate’s role in the United Empires is increasingly precarious.

Empire of Ostmark-Hungarica
A multi-ethnic empire on the verge of fracture, Ostmark-Hungarica is a patchwork of cultures and peoples. Dragons have always been a symbol of the emperor's divine right to rule, but the empire has struggled to keep pace with Teutonia’s military innovations. The empire is slowly crumbling under the weight of ethnic tensions and outdated institutions. It remains a significant power but is increasingly reliant on its Teutonian allies to keep order within its borders. Ostmark-Hungarica fields some dragons, but its air force is now dominated by dirigibles and aircraft.

Neutral:

United States of Americia
Across the Atlantic Ocean, Americia has remained neutral in the conflicts brewing in Europa, though its position is becoming increasingly untenable. The birthplace of aircraft, the Americian industrial revolution has led to innovations in aircraft and weaponry that rival those of Europa. The United States Dragon Corps had played a pivotal role during it's Independence War against Albion, albeit now the USDC is often jokingly referred to as "Uncle Sam's Decorative Children" as their dragons are few, used mainly in ceremonial parades and state functions. Americia has thus far maintained neutrality, watching carefully as the old world burns, but many believe that the country’s neutrality will not last, as the tide of war threatens to engulf the world.

Last edited:
My Temeraire senses are tingling and I logged in while on vacation to say I'm SO interested. At least, as long as Discord isn't a requirement... Crossing my fingers here.

My Temeraire senses are tingling and I logged in while on vacation to say I'm SO interested. At least, as long as Discord isn't a requirement... Crossing my fingers here.
Yeah, I don’t like doing stuff on discord in general lol

Same, I can't join half if it's (rp's) are on discord because it's only for personal use / close IRL people...

Yeah, I don’t like doing stuff on discord in general lol
Pardon my French (Gallian) but fuck yes. This is my shit and I'm so thrilled i will actually be able to join.

I won't be back to my computer until the 25th and I don't like doing apps on my phone so I'll just catch up then, if things are already underway.

In the meantime, I'll follow along with any lore updates. Got a few questions too, if you don't mind!

• How intelligent are the dragons?
  • Do they choose their riders, and is there a 'pair bond' of sorts?
  • Are they more like fighter jets in aerial combat, with just one rider, or more in the Temeraire mode with a large crew and more naval-style engagement?
  • Do any countries permit female dragonriders? (And if not, can I play a woman who crossdresses to join up?)
  • What sort of variation is there in the dragon species?
This may all be getting super ahead of things but I'm just very excited about this concept.

• How intelligent are the dragons?
  • Do they choose their riders, and is there a 'pair bond' of sorts?
  • Are they more like fighter jets in aerial combat, with just one rider, or more in the Temeraire mode with a large crew and more naval-style engagement?
  • Do any countries permit female dragonriders? (And if not, can I play a woman who crossdresses to join up?)
  • What sort of variation is there in the dragon species?
How intelligent are the dragons?
- Dragons can talk.

Do they choose their riders, and is there a 'pair bond' of sorts?
- Yes, riders should already be partner with their dragon when joining the force. Like cavalry officers have to bring their own horse.

Are they more like fighter jets in aerial combat, with just one rider, or more in the Temeraire mode with a large crew and more naval-style engagement?
- Just one rider to keep things simple.

Do any countries permit female dragonriders? (And if not, can I play a woman who crossdresses to join up?)
- Yes. Since magic is a thing I’d say like sorceress and witches etc would be more involved in wars since the beginning anyway, so that apply to dragon rider as well.

What sort of variation is there in the dragon species?
- Haven’t thought much of it yet. Just general dragon stuff (like dragon comes with 4 legs plus wings, those with 2 legs plus wings are wyvern, both can talk. some breathe fire, some breathe frost, etc, plus Asian dragon in the far east which are treated more like divines by the locals, etc. will get a lore page set up and if you guys have new ideas you can leave them there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back