The Hundredfold Facets of Enlightenment: A Charm Compendium

For six months, I have been working on a Charm compendium. Since it began, it's expanded to include a large amount of other things. Some highlights:

• A more robust selection of Charms for everyone, including 164 Solar, 89 Abyssal, 72 Infernal, 80 Lunar, 39 Terrestrial and 29 Fair Folk Charms.

• An attempt to describe, through Infernal Charms, the physiology and metaphysiology of Yozis.

• Charms to enhance Assumption of Bones and Ashes and fully realized rules for the Fair Folk Way Grace, including associated Wyld artifacts.

• Artifacts, including Hyperion Keys, jokes, and weapons of mass destruction.

• Five new manse powers, from Booster Engines to make a Mobile manse go faster to a Tainted Altar that drives divinities insane.

• 21 new thaumaturgical rituals, including an entirely new thaumaturgical Art: Biothaumaturgy.

I endeavored to make things that are useful, fun and well-balanced. I hope you enjoy them. I am interested in feedback on this project, but I wish primarily to clarify anything that might seem unclear. I do not want to engage in any kind of conversation about the merits of action-long perfect defenses or how a given Exalt should access Elsewhere.

This link leads to a folder with both "fancy" and "printer friendly" (BW) versions of the document. You can also download them from Rapidshare: "Fancy" and "Printer-friendly".

EDIT:

Uploaded version with corrected Hammer Assaults Anvil Denial; corrected a layout error and removed extraneous graphics from printer-friendly version.

I downloaded and checking th charms at the moment. But one thing caught my eye. On some charms

for example Whirling Dervish Method; you write as "Repurchasing this charm at Essence 4+ allows ....etc"

Why did you feel the need that a player has to buy the same charm twice to get a little bit different effect instead of just changing the effect when player comes to a certain level of essence like most of the cannon charms?

My guess would be beause he got inspired from the Infernal charm set. It gives the of getting a more powerful effect with one charm activation, but still having to pay XP to get that extra effect - which can be because it was felt that the extra effect was worth more than just a leveling of Essence.

I went blind from over exposure to pure awesomness...

I want moooore :lol:

Some random layout nitpicks:

• Chapters should usually start on odd pages. (The terrestrial chapter, for example, doesn't.)
  • Use non-breaking spaces between an ability and its score (e.g. "Linguistics 5". This will cause the whole thing to wrap as if it were a single word, preventing the single-number-on-a-line problem that shows up in various spots, particularly the lunar knack section (e.g. pg 33, 36).
  • Bookmarks would be helpful. Chances are, if you are using styles, the software you are using can create them automatically.
  • I'd add a bit more vertical leading above the charm names.
  • Even though WW does as you did, I don't like when stat blocks split across columns. I'd turn on "keep with next" for the whole block style.
  • I can see why you did it, but the bold nature of book references is a bit distracting, making the other uses of bold less relevant. Italics would be less so, and would also be more traditional for book titles.

I'll say about this what I have to say about every Exalted book:

There's some good, even awesome stuff in here. There's also some stuff that makes me think 'what? Are you insane? No, not in a million years'. So, yeah, it's as useful as anything WW's ever made.

Added bookmarks. Minor corrections throughout, including a major change due to revision artifact to Crowded Soul Expectoration, June 2.

MediaFire link in the original post remains valid. New Rapidshare links: Fancy; Printer-friendly.

Brickwall said:
I'll say about this what I have to say about every Exalted book:
There's some good, even awesome stuff in here. There's also some stuff that makes me think 'what? Are you insane? No, not in a million years'. So, yeah, it's as useful as anything WW's ever made.
Now, if WW would just have a 24-hour turn-around time for errata and suggestion inclusion... :D

Wonderful work, by the by. 8)

After something like 1,500 downloads and over a month of existence, I'm proud to say there aren't many changes and updates to be made, but I'm releasing an update anyway. Or everybody's downloading it and nobody's reading it.

General

Changed all names that match existing published Charms. Golden Destruction Cut is now Glorious Golden Edge, etc. This is a sort of conceptual breaking of ties, as well as for my own convenience and tidiness keeping the Charm entries on the wiki.

Lots of very minor things, like grammar and spelling fixes.

Indomitable Sinews

Clarified that one must be able to lift the weight of the structure.

Hell-Body Kingdom

Clarified the interaction of this Charm and Brass Palace Majesty Shintai.

Supernumerary Soul Extrusion

Clarified that it provides phantom dots of Essence with each Third Circle soul, not just the fetich.

Fourfold Body Abnegation

Solidified and clarified what and how the character can take actions. One must use Charms that produce actions to perform non-wind actions like a normal character; an Excellency is insufficient.

Akuma Sidebar Thingy

Added a sidebar at the end of the Infernals chapter discussing why I left some things vague.

As always, the MediaFire link contains the latest versions. There are also new RapidShare links to the "fancy" version and "not-so-fancy" version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back