The Human Element [M&M 2e]

Lady Jane

The Human Element

Introduction/Story Teaser

In 2016, a mere two years after Canada and the United States merged to become the North American Amalgamated States, the very core of the country was rocked with a tremendous earthquake. In the Niagara region, right on the old border, the cityscape was devastated with unprecedented tremors. Still, mankind shows incredible resilience, and the country recovered, the two individualistic nations united by the tragedy in a way a piece of paper could never accomplish. In the ruins of the disaster was built Alliance City and became the new capitol of America, standing as a symbol of their unity.

Of course, that was more than forty years ago. It's ancient history, and far less interesting than the press conference pulled together by a Miz Samantha Clive. Three years ago, she announced news to the world that rocked it to is socio-political core.

The super-human is real.

The Delta Division has been functioning as part of the military since the 1980s, though it's been clandestine in nature. Back then, there were only a handful of these super-humans, but all that's been changed. It's now 2068. In the last couple of generations, the population of those termed as 'metahumans' has grown exponentially. The newly-public Delta Division opens their arms to those with these so-called super powers, training the new heroes and deploying them around the world for humanitarian and life-saving missions.

Samantha Clive's propaganda campaign in favor of the Delta Division and its metahuman heroes is widely successful. The agents of Delta are revered and respected, and the people of Alliance City feel safe and protected. Hope reigns, and life is about as perfect as life can be.

So, of course it cannot last.

A series of attacks cripple the Division's leadership, and earth-shattering events change the way we see the world forever. Your adversary has the element of surprise. When the dust settles, will humanity itself stand?

Gameplay

Story Content:

As the plot of the story progresses, there will be a lot of a who-done-it element. While there will be an opportunity to smash things, much of the roleplay will be finding the clues and piecing them all together.

System and House Rules:

The game will be run in the system of Mutants & Masterminds 2e. We'll be starting at Power Level 10. When creating your character, it is mandatory to have at least two complications. Fear not. While these issues will indeed complicate life for your character, they also give you the inner will to go beyond your capabilities in the form of Hero Points. Hero Points gained in this manner can be banked indefinitely, so when it comes time to beat on the big boss all the pent up angst gathered from your annoying life can be released in one burst of energy.

Background:

The campaign is best suited for new heroes just starting out. Most metas begin to show signs of their abilities around puberty, and Delta's been known to start knocking at your door around that time. How do they know? It's their job to know. If you're older than mid-to-late teens/early twenties, then you've either been in Delta for a while, or you're really good at hiding your powers.

Hero Origins:

Most characters will be metahuman in origin; if not, then training/technology based. For any other origins (alien, accident, etc.) see me about it first. Magic is more or less unheard of and is regulated to fairy tales and the like. It is not available as an origin for....reasons <_< (spoilers!) However there may be a possibility for the character to learn magic as the story progresses past a certain event. Prepare yourself as an open-minded individual and.... well, more I cannot say.

Daily Life:

The Delta Division is run like an agency, so expect structured assignments, missions, and inner politics. Like every agency, it's got its secrets (what really happened in that earthquake?). Your character will be assigned a 'code name' and identity, public or secret, as a result of a conversation you've had with Samantha Clive, both director Delta and its Public Representative. You will be privy to a lot of classified information, such as the identities of others, but obviously it is high treason to release this information to those without security clearence.

Requirements

Having the core book is helpful to playing the game, but any of the suppliments are window dressing--albeit very pretty dressing. No previous knowledge of the system is required, and I will be happy to guide you through the process of learning the system.

This obviously isn't English class, but please please please make your posts readable. Posting will be done in past tense, third-person point of view. I'm not super picky about length, but understand that this is a cooperative excersise. Give the next person something to respond to. Properly structured sentances will be appreciated. I'll be the first to admit my spelling is lacking, so I compensate with a browser-based spellcheck. This is intended to be a leading example. Obviously I don't expect you to be perfect. I just want to be able to read and appreciate your creativity.

This game is approved and set to 'Awaiting Players'. Let us know when you have enough players to progress to the ST section.

Captain Hesperus

I'm fairly interesting in this game. Just that the few characters I had planned for another M&M game are more mystically descriptor based, though not necessarily magic. The main one more focused on a magical device. So I'm trying to say I want to play, but it might take me a little to decide on a character to use for it. I'm also curious what as to what the general situation is in regards to dimensions.

The situation in regards to dimensions... what's the best way to explain this...

Think something like the concept behind the World between the Worlds introduced in C.S. Lewis' "Magician's Nephew". There are multiple alternate dimensions scattered through time and space. In this setting, rather than exploring the stars overmuch, the powers of a few people within Delta has led them to explore these alternate dimensions.

...of course, that's all highly classified and on a need-to-know basis.

As for a magical device... there's a fine line between 'magical device' and 'piece of technology from another world we don't understand'.

Does that answer your questions?

Yes, that clarifies my questions fully, thank you. Feel free to count me in. Figure I might as well ask what exactly is limited power-wise, feats, etc, just for asking's sake.

EDIT: I believe I have something again :D

• a (now stranded) time-traveler, who jumped too far back (or possibly just forgot a step, as he wasn't usually the one at the controls) and is now trapped in our time. In his time, an experiment gone awry had caused a zombie apocalypse, and as a lone survivor immune to the outbreak, he fired up a time portal and set it to "before we started screwing with time", not knowing no one had ever returned or sent a message from any trip to before time travel's invention. He landed in Delta Division's HQ - possibly because it was the weakest temporal point owing to their own experiments. After explaining (probably at gun- and other assorted metahuman weaponry -point) the situation, he's been accepted by Delta Division, but things are different than he learned in history class. In particular, the events that cripple Delta Division catch him entirely off-guard...

Sounds interesting Was thinking of doing a hero named Meltodwn.

basically radioactive man

Some good concepts. Time-travel, btw, has this habit of causing parallel timelines. Going back in time does not cause the chrononaut's timeline to cease to exist; rather it ends up creating another one. This effect is seen in other places, like the Star Trek movie that came out, or the events surrounding Trunks in DBZ when he went back in time. Btw, this is literally just before they started really screwing around with time, so that totally makes sense.

Oh, something important I forgot to include in the Gameplay bit.... Teleportation has an inherit weakness that you can't go anywhere/move anything that's somehow fastened down. Effectively, no, you can't teleport a mountain in half, I don't care how precice it is (oh, the things you have to say 'no' to when you run the 'kid's table' for RPGs...). Its sort of one of those physics rules that one wouldn't consider until you have a reason to frequently use teleportation. I'd compare it to Stargate's rule about matter only going one way through a wormhole, but.... well, then I'd get into a rant on how they broke that rule on the pilot episode.

Anywho. I wouldn't call it a power loss complication or anything, because everyone who teleports (through the use of powers or technology) falls under that rule, and there's numerous ways to get around it/use it to your advantage.

EDIT: I should also point out that if I do use that as a plot device for the sole purpose of messing with you (because, let's face it, what GM doesn't get a preverse pleasure out of that xD ) that falls under GM Fiat, and Hero Points will be awarded appropriately. As with Complications, those Hero Points can be banked (Hero Points due to the Luck feat, etc will be reset after every mission).

Heh, you should know you just convinced me to try to teleport a mountain in your game. I will find a way.

They have that rule, and then break it, in the movie Jumper. The plot is kind of so-so, it's more of a near-mindless action movie, but still one of my favorites for some reason. You should watch it if you've not :D

I can't use the justification they did to break the rule, though, because the reason for their rule was different (the objects to be "jumped" have to already be moving in the direction of the teleport in order to teleport them - even the jumpers themselves have to move that direction first, and then teleport)... so I'll find a NEW way.

I have seen that movie, and it mostly just reinforced the opinion I had that teleportation is the laziest power ever. Dude. The remote was two feet away! But yeah, I really liked the movie, mostly because it reinforced the idea that Super Powers are Cool. And it was a fun movie. It's nice to see a really fun urban fantasy play out the idea of super powers that isn't a mainstream Marvel/DC movie (not that there's anything wrong with a good comic book movie).

Also, it was nice to see Hayden Christensen play something other than the Whiny Emo Kid destined to be the Great Evil. I could seriously listen to his voice all day, but good lord, the lines they gave him in Attack of the Clones were bad....

I've dropped the super-soldier aspect of my guy, decided two experiments were too many with all the skills I bought before I even got to powers, lol :P he's got lots of investigative and social skills I couldn't justify pushing off onto the devices. Most of my powers will be devices... I think I'll total three devices: a uniform, a weapon, and the "T3" Temporal and Teleportation Tethering Device, which will be worn on the wrist and remind everyone of a Pip-boy.

I'm still working out specifics, but in general, the uniform will provide protection and flight and possibly communication, the weapon will have multiple modes, and the tether will provide information and protection from temporal and dimensional descriptor effects.

I really dislike the wording on the Disintegration power, both in the corebook and in Ultimate Power... can it affect creatures in your interpretation, Lady Jane? It SEEMS like it really should - it mentions targets with Constitution scores repeatedly - but certain lines in it seem to imply it's only meant to work on objects, especially the first line. I'm making the weapon's most powerful attack form it should be ever be able to assume (so I can use it as the "base power" to know how many points I have to spend on alternate forms, which will be much less... you know. They won't disintegrate things.), and Disintegration seems to model it much better than a Blast, but if Disintegration doesn't work on people, then Blast will suffice.

I don't really need that power on it anyway, I decided it's one of the currently inaccessible forms of the weapon. If the campaign swings in a direction where I might actually need that much power, he can "recover" that form with earned power points later. I left the question, though, in case you want to consider it ahead of time...

The human body ultimately is a bag of flesh and bones, a structure made of carbon-based material held together by the same tenuous electromagnetism that holds together every single inanimate object in the world.

Short answer, yeah. It's effectively a Blast power with a Fort alternate save. The number crunching's done a little differently, but that's about it.

I am willing to try M&M. Not familiar with it as a character system, but am familiar with the d20 system. I'll get a character started, but might need some help getting power levels right.

Character will be a teenager with a super mind. Both parents were powered and originally part of Delta Div, but retired to raise a family. It was nice for the first 11 years, until the girl started showing signs of powers. They knew eventually they would have to bring her into Delta Div. But 6 months ago, they went off for vacation and never returned. No one has heard from them or had any traces of the trail. They simly vanished. Delta Div. won't say they are dead,

The girl was left with Mister Fabulous, a second tier hero with only basic powers, and a good friend of the family. But he has had a hard time trying to keep her away from Delta Div. She wants answers and her reasoning is too good for him to hold her back much longer, even if she is only 14.

[QUOTE="Lady Jane]I think there's a good number now, enough to get things started.

[/QUOTE]
Alright!

Head on over to the ST area ;) !

solyrflair said:
I am willing to try M&M. Not familiar with it as a character system, but am familiar with the d20 system. I'll get a character started, but might need some help getting power levels right.
Character will be a teenager with a super mind. Both parents were powered and originally part of Delta Div, but retired to raise a family. It was nice for the first 11 years, until the girl started showing signs of powers. They knew eventually they would have to bring her into Delta Div. But 6 months ago, they went off for vacation and never returned. No one has heard from them or had any traces of the trail. They simly vanished. Delta Div. won't say they are dead,

The girl was left with Mister Fabulous, a second tier hero with only basic powers, and a good friend of the family. But he has had a hard time trying to keep her away from Delta Div. She wants answers and her reasoning is too good for him to hold her back much longer, even if she is only 14.
Ooh, a psionic archetype is always good. I can give you a hand if you need it.

Are you still accepting players? If so, I would like to apply. I don't know the M&M rules per se, but do like the superhero genre. Let me know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back