The Beginning

Insomnia

The war had finally begun. It had been looming over the forest for centuries as generation after generation of loathing grew between the elven nations of Europe. The morning had begun much like any other with the sun glistening through the trees and the sounds of the birds coming to life. The village stirred as children began to cry and mothers went to sooth them. It was at that moment the first warning sign reached the villagers; the birds ceased singing. The first flaming arrows fell on the council hall and the magic curses were released soon after. The entire clan fell into panic as each elf took up their weapons, but they were caught too unprepared, and the entire village was quickly in flames. Many died, but a few managed to escape, and that is where this story begins...

Darkness filtered down through the trees as the sun sunk below the horizon. Insomnia tightened her grip on Raine's hand and ran faster. Thub-dub, thub-dub, thub-dub... her heart pounded loudly in her ears and the wind whistled past, savagely thrashing her long brown hair. Raine was whimpering quietly as she stumbled over tree roots, her bare feet bleeding from the cuts she sustained during the first half of the journey.

"Raine, my love, hurry dear," Insomnia gently prodded the young girl behind her. Insomnia glanced behind her shoulder to catch a glimpse of her tiny sister. Raine's long blonde hair was matted with dead leaves and branches, her face was tearstained, her eyes puffy and read, her entire body shook from the cold. Insomnia tore her eyes away and blinked back a tear that had begun to develop in her own eye.

BAM! Insomnia and Raine flew to the ground and Insomnia quickly threw herself on top of Raine. They sat in silence for a few seconds, and when no other sound was heard, Insomnia grabbed Raine's clothing and heaved her off of the ground. The young girl was now hysterical, sobbing uncontrollably, shaking from head to toe. Insomnia gently touched her sister's face and then began to drag her along, though the girl could barely walk.

"Insomnia," Raine mumbled through her tears, "please leave me."

"I won't," she proclaimed defiantly, pulling on Raine's hand harder than before, but Raine broke free and fell to the ground. Insomnia stopped and slowly turned toward her sister, crumpled in a heap on the ground. "Insomnia," Raine moaned, "please..." Her voice drifted away with the wind, as her eyes flickered closed. Insomnia dropped to her knees, tears now freely flowing from her eyes. "You were the only one who understood me, Raine. What will I do without you?" Her entire body felt like a block of solid wood, her arms were heavy, and her legs wouldn't stop shaking. She reached out to the girl, but the skin on her pale arm was already as cold as ice.

Insomnia pushed herself up weakly and began to stumble into the inky darkness. Her legs gave way underneath her as her sobs intensified, but she forced herself upright once more until she finally collapsed on the forest floor, a few feet away from her sister's body.

As Shadow's little wolf paws carried her as fast as they could from the embers of the Wolven Tribe's cave hidden in the forest. The stench of burning fur and flesh overpowered her senses while her fellow Wolven met their end. Shadow stopped in her tracks and gave them a howl meant for the dead. She continued her journey towards her secret hiding place. She took a sudden left when she smelled a new elf that was slowly dying. Shadow shifted back to her elven form with her spiky black hair and dark skin replacing her fur yet her red eyes, black red tipped wolf ears and tail remained. The boyish looking Wolven gently picked up the elf and carried towards her hidden cave. When she started a fire she placed the elf near it and curled her tail around her to keep the elf warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back