Super, over-powered characters.

Edrondol

Resident Old Guy
One thing I've noticed lately is that many of the characters in RPs these days are really overpowered. First, I know that this is RP and you are supposed to be someone other than yourself and a heroic figure. I get that. But as an RP, after establishing your character...where do you go from there?

Having ultra-powerful characters (of which I'm not going to show an example as I don't want to call anyone out) means that the story is effectively dead from the beginning. Sure, you can have fun for a few posts, but after that there's no real challenge if your guy (or gal [or other]) can do anything. It's like the whole Superman thing in comics. With a character that is impervious to everything (except a hunk of dirt, apparently) who cares what bad guys he has to "fight"?

I guess in the end it comes down to the age-old question of whether you are in RP as a character or as a storyteller. If you could name me a popular book or movie where the protagonist starts ultra-powerful and never loses it, it would be the first. For every story there has to be conflict and challenge. There has to be something that causes the character to grow and develop. If you start from a god-like tier of power, there's nowhere else to go. Unless you are fighting other gods, which I've certainly seen. In that context it makes some sense, but these are few and far in between.

So the next time you're making an RP character, think past the dark, mysterious character who has studied for years and is a master of all weapons or magic. Pull a Harry Potter and run someone who has potential but right now can't do squat. It will seem restrictive in the beginning, but will be much more rewarding later.

@Edrondol - using the super powered example I'll use a popular example: Superman.

Superman: ( injustice gods among us/kingdom come ) now you mentioned the guy everyone likes to pick on, since he's such an obvious Sue. But the thing is the best stories about good ole Big Blue have to do with him working with his teammates (also godlike sues) or when he is going through some emotional arc.

Ex. Injustice his wife, unborn child, and entire city are wiped out and he basically goes off the deep in. The whole story is about his and the rest of the Justice Leagues descent into dictatorship.

In Kingdom Come he just leaves the super hero business all together because he feels redundant and only comes back when some young jackass drops a nuclear bomb on Kansas. It's basically a story about what it means to be a hero.

The point is its when you focus on the character and not just "winning" the roleplay that super hero roleplays are the most fun.

I always laugh when people make those ridiculous edgy OP God beings. I'm always like you do realize once you kill everyone your just going to be kicked out and written out of the roleplay .

This isn't the Olympics you don't get s metal for beating everyone else. You just get labeled a selfish douchebag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it depends on what the purpose of the RP is. Growing in power isn't the only way to grow as a character.

If your RP is based on combat, then yes, starting with an OP character obviously is just a big ol' no. That has to be established at the beginning of the RP, though. That's up to the GM.

But otherwise, just because a character is powerful doesn't mean they are perfect/flawless. The character growth then is working on those flaws or even working on identifying those flaws. A good GM/RP partner will use that as a plot point.

Honestly, much of my RP experience has been doing FFRP. There are no rules. There are many god-like (and actual god) characters. Often the big conflict is one character trying to understand the other. I played a demon prince of hell for a while who was on vacation from being a super bad evil guy. It was fun, because though he was the epitome of OP, the issue wasn't combat or winning... it was he was trying to figure out how mortals work.

Interesting take on things. I came from a community that had several of those types of people. It was not fun, as you point out. I find that I don't have too much patience or like for power-playing. It just ruins the mood and the story. You can't paint a picture together if one person is so bent on coloring the entire canvas green. Roleplay is negotiation, you take some and you give some.

Zilla said:
I suppose it depends on what the purpose of the RP is. Growing in power isn't the only way to grow as a character.
If your RP is based on combat, then yes, starting with an OP character obviously is just a big ol' no. That has to be established at the beginning of the RP, though. That's up to the GM.

But otherwise, just because a character is powerful doesn't mean they are perfect/flawless. The character growth then is working on those flaws or even working on identifying those flaws. A good GM/RP partner will use that as a plot point.

Honestly, much of my RP experience has been doing FFRP. There are no rules. There are many god-like (and actual god) characters. Often the big conflict is one character trying to understand the other. I played a demon prince of hell for a while who was on vacation from being a super bad evil guy. It was fun, because though he was the epitome of OP, the issue wasn't combat or winning... it was he was trying to figure out how mortals work.
Correct. As I stated, there are RPs where this fits, but they are few and far in between. I think sometimes players get so caught up in their own characters that they feel any sort of failures (whether a bad die roll or a missed opportunity in-game) is a personal affront. But you learn from your failures and mistakes, not your successes. @JokerValentine has it exactly right when he says it becomes more about a single entity trying to pain their version of the picture without considering the visions of others.

It's like one of the main rules of improv - never negate. Always say yes. If someone comes up with something (that doesn't expressly give your character an action or a trait) you should roll with it and see where it takes you. Sometimes the greatest destinations are those we are not looking for.

Edrondol said:
I think sometimes players get so caught up in their own characters that they feel any sort of failures (whether a bad die roll or a missed opportunity in-game) is a personal affront.
Well that's the player being an ass, not the character necessarily being bad. Every time I see people posting about "OP" characters I always have to wonder if their issue isn't really selfish and/or immature players. It always seems the latter.

@Zilla I think that is a big portion of it, as truely OP characters are usually written by what i like to refer to as "the thirteen year old boy" demographic. which is probably sexist but there you go.

Although I think even experienced roleplayers can fall into the trap when they don't think far enough ahead when making a character. It's that "ooh shiny new power" mentality where you see something on TV or what have you and decide it would be amazeballs to make a character like that for a roleplay.

Until you start to think.... oh wait but how would I actually roleplay that? And then you realize - whoops I would have to puppet half the cast for this to be effective or else I would have to hound the GM constantly for sneak peaks or whatever.

Ex. The Flash. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this character. I think his ability to run through time and interdimensions is the coolest thing ever.

But if I tried to do that in a roleplay it would pretty quickly get all kind of convoluted. Because there is a difference between doing a character in a solo narrative ( like a fanfic or a tv show ) and doing it with a collaborative effort where everyone else is having to be affected too.

So yeah it can happen with people who know what their doing too, it's just usually in that case you'll see them retroactively nerf the OPness out of their character or else play them up as some kind of antagonist for everyone else.

@readingraebow I really like your posts. They are very well thought out. Not germane to the discussion, just thought you'd like to know someone appreciates your input. :5/5:

I'll second that. There's a comparatively short list of people on this site who's opinions I really care about, let alone pay attention to, and you're quickly making yourself a candidate for that list.

Yea, i know how that is, in one of my old RP's a friend was so OP we had to kick him out of the RP for almost ruining it xD

I feel everyone has the potential to accsedently do this. I always have a rule cause I usually do fandom rps. I follow the "ten minute rule" if the main character of that rp can't hold off your character in a ten minute spar, he's too strong. I always give some of my characters with incredibly strong powers (like rai) a handful of insta-kill opportunities and some immobilizing factors. Like a silver bullet, salt rings, copper metal holy weapons magic. Always have an opening that can kill your character.

I always end up making a very underpowered character, so I really have to get creative with execution when i go against characters like deadpool.

Freakinout99 said:
I always end up making a very underpowered character, so I really have to get creative with execution when i go against characters like deadpool.
I've often done this as well, in order to avoid some over powered sue-type, but on more than one occasion have brought some blank, vague character that doesn't really add much to the plot for a while which can be frustrating . But I think its down to the creativity and skill of the person writing the character. Any character can be boring and difficult to interact with if the writer behind them sucks.

I think the question to ask here is: why? Why make your character powerful? There's always a reasoning, and it's vital that you understand your own reasoning as a writer. This is a crucial part of good writing: the understanding and control of the "why" and the constant questioning of your intentions.

From what I've seen, a lot of the time the answer is: because it's the easiest way for my character to advance through the plot. The ability to smash every obstacle out of the way curbs the need for tricky plot and character development. With the added benefit of showing off just how awesome or dangerous your character is.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a character using their power for their own benefit, or even having god-like power. But...there has to be a certain amount of pushback. Some sort of conflict that greatly interferes with the character's goals. As they say in every fiction writing class ever: never make things too easy. Lack of conflict is boring. That's why Superman has a bald genius nemesis with a kryponite fetish. Every trick and trap keeps him from getting to the doomsday device another precious few minutes. (Yeah, we all know Superman will save the world in the end, but what's cool about roleplays is that it's never certain. Yes, I have had my characters killed by a doomsday device, why do you ask.)

That said, there are always ways to play around with the rules - but remember that motives are everything. Maybe your character does win every fight. But maybe that's not what they want. Maybe what they really want is unattainable through fighting, and no amount of fights won will change that. Therefore the writer has to look for development elsewhere. In this case, the character's power is simply a facet of their personality, not a means to an end. The writer's intention in this case is to make the character more complex and interesting.

Or, maybe your character is superpowered, but they're a support character who doesn't use their power for their own gains. Maybe they only help (help, not save) other players. Maybe they help both sides. Here, the author's intention is simply to support other characters, perhaps without upsetting the balance of conflict. A lot of "mentor" characters fall into this category. You know: the old master who can shoot laser beams out of their fists, but only exists to impart knowledge onto the novice (and then get stabbed, usually).

Over time, I have noticed these overpowered abilities tend to lean towards the same deal: Phoenix powers, mind control, time warp, shadow control...

While some might say that this is because there are only so many overpowered abilities, it has been pointed out to me that any ability can become or cease to be overpowered.

So, my conclusion? This wave of overpowered characters comes from lack of imagination or input of it.

People choose this powers because they don´t wanna be left behind in the plot. I´ve been tempted to do this several times (some I even yielded to it). The concern is that if you can´t call attention to yourself, you won´t get your share of the action. However, the lack of options due to the lack of creativity input leads them to resort to this biggie characters.

I have seen a lot of comments where people say "it depends on the character". I´d respectfully like to disagree. A good player can make a bad character much better like a bad player can really screw a good character. However, a good character will be helpful to a bad player to improve and a bad character will be out of place in a good player too.

Now, is being OP NECESSARILY a bad character´s trait? No. But if you go and see what gamers would call our "current meta" you will see often times OP comes associated to characters that are screwed up on many, many aspects. Unfortunately, if it depends on the player, (and I know I´m sounding presumptuous here) , then the RPers need to realize cooperation is an imperative thing for a good RP and it starts in the character making.

What I do to avoid OP characters is 1: stress at the start of RPs that the game is about tension and overcoming adversity and cooperation so characters that can stand fully on their own are subtractive rather than additive to the RP.

Second, I avoid Empirical or absolutely quantified qualities to powers as they are described. Somebody can be Strong, or Gargantuan, or Heroic in a certain fashion, but this leads to compromise as to what is it that scope, and seldom degrades into how many cars a character can juggle because they have a certain STAT VALUE. Abstracts make people uncertain about their limits, which is true in real life and adds that element of realism to a story. It gives a scope of power where a GM or group can all interpret or (dis)agree that as a power is defined, that certain things are OP or not, or out of scope of power.

Another trick I use is the "mook, troop, champ, hero and titan" scale. By classifying characters or Npcs in the above catagories, people have an idea of RELATIVE power.

Each category tends to beat a member of the next lesser category, but luck, creativity, planning or most often superior numbers can allow lesser catagories to overcome greater ones, or greater ones to overcome more lessers.

So lets say all the PCs in an RP are "Champions" -- they can handle troops, and under the right circumstances quite a few of them. They also EASILY beat the crap out of large numbers of mooks without really needing to think about it. Think of champs as your average important character in say, a starwars movie. They beat lots of stormtroopers (troops) and wreck shop against mooks (think Jabba thugs) but all of a sudden Vader shows up... he's "Hero" class. Vader can throw individual central characters across the room. Only in epic climactic battles does the champ beat a hero (or anti-hero in this case) -- a team of heroes are going to SMASH gangs of champs, send troops running, and mooks would probably vaporize if hit by one. Titans do the same thing to Heroes.

By having tiers like this characters can have an idea of where they are in the pecking order and what kind of situations they can expect to face. I especially like this as a mechanic because it can allow AVERAGE characters to kick serious dramatic ass (which everyone loves to do and is the reason so many people try to be OP) -- but you can have a situation where a champ (seasoned hero) can drop into a pack of goblin mooks and heads fly everywhere. A champ can grab two orc troops and smack their heads together... he's a champ and they're troops. But everybody knows that if they are swinging for a higher grade, they need mad plan, support, luck, and/or numbers.

... but it still allows characters to flex their muscles where they can.

I can remind a player that as a champ if they rush a Titan it is going to kick them once and they are going to fly apart.

If everyone understands, this system helps a LOT with this problem, though people may have their own names for categories.... it also allows something many RPs have difficulty with: Character progression. Somebody drink a potion that makes them super powerful or level up over the campaign? They are not rated as a Hero from then on or even a Titan for the duration of that potion/artifact/event effect. Then all of a sudden nobody is shocked if the character one-punches a giant into oblivion, or runs into a stadium full of zombies and comes out with a broken cricket bat and soiled clothes.

The final note is... Don't play with muchkins. If people are min-maxing out of the gate, find somebody else to fill that spot.

While OP characters aren't my most hated trope in RPs it's certainly one that can be extremely annoying. I've been part of RPs that, like you mentioned, managed to balance out OP characters with OP enemies, and those are great fun as it can at times lead to ridiculous fights. To be honest with you I haven't seen that many OP characters as most times the Roleplay Manager tells these certain individuals that their character's powers need to be taken down a notch, the key word here being most times.

Without giving out any names I'll give you a perfect example of a character that was so annoyingly OP that it made me quit a RP. Without going into much detail my character was thrown into a situation where she was being chased by a large group of tough enemies. Before I could even do anything about this situation in comes Mr.White Knight who "felt" my character was in danger so he teleported to the location and defeated all the enemies with a single lazy post of around four lines. As I've mentioned before I simply quit this RP after this happened.

I better stop typing now because I am getting a tat bit salty just by speaking of this.

Yeah. Those guys are the worst.

It gave me the idea to maybe one day have an RP and JUST accept horrible OP munchkins, or people willing to play like one. As you say, the RP would get really ridiculous really fast.

I actually have an OP character that I just use for fun.

His name is Kizuto Migaro. He's the most ridiculously broken character I've made.

For 1 his only weakness is other people with a heart as pure as him.

2. He can dodge literally any attack, and if he does get hit, it hardly even damages him

3.I even named him a Diety/God, he's just so OP. xD

Talk about OP characters, I usually don't mind lol as long his/her power has drawbacks. Like his life force is drained, age faster, has to kill someone for the vitae, only for some amount of time, etc. Some verses work and perhaps, NEED OP character(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Frede said:
Talk about OP characters, I usually don't mind lol as long his/her power has drawbacks. Like his life force is drained, age faster, has to kill someone for the vitae, only for some amount of time, etc. Some verses work and perhaps, NEED OP character(s).
I think that´s a misconception. OP, by definition, does not have appropriate drawbacks. Once having them, it´s no longer OP. I also would like to point out the rarity in which drawbacks are properly respected:

Energy is a prime example. I am yet to see anyone with an energy price ever have any consequence from it. And mind you, that´s the most common "price" for the abilities I´ve seen.

Beckoncall said:
Yeah. Those guys are the worst.
It gave me the idea to maybe one day have an RP and JUST accept horrible OP munchkins, or people willing to play like one. As you say, the RP would get really ridiculous really fast.
there actually are several RPs like that, at the moment.

Idea said:
I think that´s a misconception. OP, by definition, does not have appropriate drawbacks. Once having them, it´s no longer OP. I also would like to point out the rarity in which drawbacks are properly respected:
Energy is a prime example. I am yet to see anyone with an energy price ever have any consequence from it. And mind you, that´s the most common "price" for the abilities I´ve seen.
i use energy as a limiter, actually - it's not ideal for everyone, though, because it forces the player to actually impose this fake 'limit' themselves, which is the last thing you want if the player actually wants their character to win. it's like you see in shounen animes - the main character is beaten to hell, supposed to be way passed his limit by now, and here he is - pulling out his 'ultra power killing attack' when he reasonably should have already collapsed from exhaustion from how much we've seen him do. if the drawbacks aren't adhered to in posts, though, they effectively don't exist, despite what a character sheet might say.

i'd suggest in a roleplay where the outcome actually does matter, there should likely be a game master there to force players to adhere to their set limits. or it should be discussed beforehand between the players involved to make sure everyone's clear on how things are going down so they can focus on putting on a good show!

rusticyawn said:
i use energy as a limiter, actually - it's not ideal for everyone, though, because it forces the player to actually impose this fake 'limit' themselves, which is the last thing you want if the player actually wants their character to win. it's like you see in shounen animes - the main character is beaten to hell, supposed to be way passed his limit by now, and here he is - pulling out his 'ultra power killing attack' when he reasonably should have already collapsed from exhaustion from how much we've seen him do. if the drawbacks aren't adhered to in posts, though, they effectively don't exist, despite what a character sheet might say.
i'd suggest in a roleplay where the outcome actually does matter, there should likely be a game master there to force players to adhere to their set limits. or it should be discussed beforehand between the players involved to make sure everyone's clear on how things are going down so they can focus on putting on a good show!
That´s the point I was trying to make. Those "limits" are actually fake, in other words, just having a limit in the CS doesn´t mean your power is actually under control.

The problem, if you try to do that, is the image people get out of you. If there is something I know all too well, is the effect attempting to have some control leads to. Not a pleasant sight, usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back