• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy ┌ spellsword ┘ Of Fantasy and Anime [CLOSED]

┌ spellsword ┘
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

Anime meets fantasy in an intricately-woven, DnD-inspired tale spun from threads of vengeance, magic, and exploration. Enter the Amaric Temple, the newest and perhaps most lucrative Dungeon, found just Northwest of the coastal City of Coin, Ardynport. Though, it is best to tread lightly. In this living world, even magic often bends to the will of the wealthy and the lives of both free men and slaves are counted in coin. Survival, let alone success, is both rare and difficult to achieve in the face of the dangers of the Dungeon and the old money that stands in the way of progress. Yet still, Spellswords, the title given to those Twice-Blessed that journey into the Dungeon, strive for just that: progress in a world that would rather remain stagnant.

Sir Les Paul

The Duke of Chords
Supporter
┌ s
pellswor
d ┘
of
Fantasy
and
Anime

Afraid of Quiet - Lydia the Bard

I love anime. I love fantasy. Huge fan of DnD and various tabletops. However, not a huge fan of mixing dice and forums. If that also sounds like you, Spellsword might be right up your ally.

So, what anime am I drawing inspiration from? Glad you asked: Delicious In Dungeon, Goblin Slayer, Is it Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon (Danmachi), Jobless Reincarnation, Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, and Grimgar: Of Fantasy and Ash to name a few. I've watched a ton of anime and read a lot of manga in this genre and I'm always down to try another.

Now we get to the actual juicy part: what is Spellsword actually about? I'll sum it up:

You play as an up-and-coming Spellsword—the title given to a Twice-Blessed Dungeoneer—in the Amaric Temple located outside of Ardynport. The Twice-Blessed are special individuals with a high affinity for World Magic, a special mark on their body comprised of mana, and a unique Skill. Dungeoneer is synonymous with Dungeon Delver. They work in parties with a leader (A Dungeon Guide at low levels) and 3-5 other members. The Amaric Temple is a massive, risen temple of thirty floors above the ground and an unknown amount below that's been around for going on two decades and is still far from fully explored; some Dungeons take centuries to clear. Ardynport is a city in a custom fantasy world loosely based off of a fledging Baldur's Gate with inspirations taken from the port of Singapore.

Dungeons like the Amaric Temple are odd phenomenon in the world. They can be found naturally or may spring up in a slight cataclysm, like the earthquake that occurred when temple rose from the ground. Within a Dungeon, World Mana (the most common magical source) immediately replenishes. This means willpower and skill (what work as spell slots) are the only limit for spells inside the Dungeon whereas outside, mana pools limit even the greatest of mages. That is not to say those of a martial focus do not benefit from the Dungeon either. With the powerful Unleash Spell, Spellswords can harness their natural magical affinity for a brief boost to their physical prowess.

The Amaric Temple produces rare and valuable resources, making it a prospect for both those looking to get rich or to find a rare resource not found elsewhere. The temple is also a major disruption to the Holy Order of Espel—one of the only major churches in the world a confirmed God (of light) granting blessings—as well as nature itself. Beyond that, Ardynport is a hotbed for trade, slavery, and a wide assortment of illegal or unethical possibilities. In short, why your character explores the Dungeon is up to you with no shortage of reasons or possibilities.​

Spellsword has ample lore, room for more world-building, a flexible magic system, a custom stat system, maps, and is still growing. Small parties work in their own individual "instances" of the Dungeon, but can still later interact in hub locations or the city with collabs. The goal is about one post cycle per ten days with some flexibility. My current goal is potentially up to two more parties and the game is super easy to hop into. Pretty active Discord OOC as well (link can be found in the actual OOC), so a benefit if you like be part of a fun little community!

If that sounds interesting to you, take a hop over to the OOC and say hi or start scoping out the Lore pages! We'll be glad to answer any question you may have.

Last edited:
oooooh I’m so excited 😭😭
We absolutely love following the ethically worrying ambiguous money

I’ll pop into the ooc in a bit 🎵

Oh my, I remember Grimgar being one of my favorites when i watched it. It did a great job at progression and giving a sense of depth to its world. I have no doubt smth inspired by that will be fun. So, I'd say you could color me interested

Heya! I'm also really interested in this, though I still need to check out the Lore pages. Gonna work on a character right after!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back