• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy ┌ spellsword ┘ Lore

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Sir Les Paul

The Duke of Chords and Apostle of Ghan
Supporter

Quickstart Guide

So, you wanna join Spellsword?

Great! If you like the vibe and genre, then it probably seems like a blast.

...right up until you see the Lore pages or maybe even the Character Creation Guide.​

—I know, I know. Hear me out.​

I am a world-builder as much as I am a storyteller and a GM. What you see in those Lore Pages is not some huge manual to play the game, I assure you. That is more like my recipe book for GM'ing. Would it likely benefit you to read most of it? Sure, if you're a super-dedicated player, but it's not entirely necessary. Let me condense down the information to the bare minimum of each page real quick:

Ardynport is named after a badass sailor from the Eastern Kingdoms circa a few centuries ago. The city is basically the Port of Singapore reskinned Baldur's Gate-style, but replace the murderous cult of Bhaal with slave trade. It's early history mirrors a lot of actual colonialism. What matters most is that about twenty-two years prior to the beginning of the game, there was a war (called the War of Warm Waters) that saw Ardynport peacefully annexed into the Borosi Empire. The whole city changed hands and had to be restructured which happened again about six years later when the Dungeon (the Amaric Temple) emerged. Slave trade still goes on in the city, but it's also now a dungeon city. There are a lot of themes to work with here from the war time to the slave trade to the falling of wealthy families and of course now the dungeon becoming a huge part of the city economy. Which is important because the city is effectively a plutocracy (ruled by Coin) with the Duke mostly being a negotiator sent from the Borosi Empire. There are some holidays and average citizens of Ardynport don't like that the city was effectively founded on land theft and slave trade. One is either elite in the city due to wealth or connections to the Council of Nine that run it. But, that's the gist of the city. If you want to know more selectively, it should be pretty easy to find in the page.

Amaric Temple isn't that long of a page and it is where the bulk of the game will occur. I'd probably read it. Similarly, Spellswords are Twice-Blessed and thus that page is probably also worth a read because it'll detail out the backbone of most player-characters. Luckily, it is also short.

Magic is the only other real contentious read. The base of the magic system is an altered version of classic Dungeons and Dragons tweaked to fit the anime aesthetic and be written narratively. There are four main types of magic and sincerely they just come down to one question "where is my power coming from?" Most Magic comes from mana generated by the planet and in Dungeons, this mana is effectively infinite, so Spell Slots are used. If your Magic comes from another thing, God, demon, Fae, spirit, etc., it's Patron Magic. If it comes from a whole different plane, it's Planar Magic. If it comes from your own strength of spirit, like a Monk, it's Spiritual Energy. The system can make use of any of these systems and honestly more. It is best to just have an idea of what class fantasy you wish to play, then read up on the magic system that class works with.​

If you read the Character Creation Guide and saw there were ten steps that seemed pretty lengthy, well... yeah. There is in a fact a reason in tabletops that a DM might just give out pre-made or mostly-made sheets to new players. I simplified a lot and tried to design the game in that we can flexibly fit in various class fantasies and character identities, but there are still some remnants of those older systems meant to recreate their feel in written form. If you reach out, I will do my best to help you at any stage of character creation from brain storming to coding. But, I don't think I can slim it down any more than I already have without sacrificing any of the vibes I'm going for.

Those are the elephants in the room addressed. Where to from here?

My Advice
Adapting a pre-made OC or a character from another game might be tough. It's possible, so don't be discouraged, but it's probably easier to start fresh. Either way, I would probably start by picking the trio of class, race, and origin. These three defining character elements are going to be the most notable ones to tie a character to the setting and to use the systems in ways that make the game feel like, well, the game it's based off of. Spellswords aren't all half-casters. You may commit to a full caster class or alternatively try to go full martial, only using magic for self-buffs. The real point here is to pick out that class fantasy you're going for and work together on making it work.

Race can be somewhat more tricky as I will allow for plenty of races not immediately listed if we world build, but also that some races are already described. Elves will come in many flavors, but the known elves are the Wood Elves to the far North of Ardynport (or it's captured slaves). Demi-Humans are short-lived humanoids of comparable human intelligence based off various mammals with some types being more rare than others. Demi-Humans can be slaves of various kinds, or somehow come from the North as a migrant for whatever reason, but also there are other parts of the world that half their own Demi-Human variants. The ones near Ardynport are mostly forest-types. Free Companies exist which may send their low level recruits to the Dungeon Guild and Free Companies can be from anywhere in the world and thus of any worldly race. Meaning, it's pretty easy to slip in a more creative race if you want; we would just need to base them in a Free Company of Adventurers. There is also the option of bringing in unique races that might exist in the Eastern Kingdoms (based somewhat off France and the UK) or the Borosi Empire (loosely inspired by Spain). Not all of them are humans.

What ties this all together will be your origin. Do you want to be a human? There are some major local factions like the Stonemasons; you could try to delve deep into the heritage of the town. Do you want to be part of the Church? Do you want to be a Demi-Human that rose through the ranks of the church? Do you wanna be a half-elf with a grudge? A Dwarf from a family of smiths that became a Dungeoneer? These all seem like mundane origins, but those are the basic ones. There may be aristocrats becoming adventurers from either other Kingdom, a Dark Elf that needs to reach a certain floor to find an ingredient to cure their mother's ailment from their homeland. The options go on. The ultimate question with an origin is "where did you start from and why are you heading to the Dungeon?"

There are of course options for more tricky class/race/origin combinations if they're unique, but those will likely require you talk directly to me so we can figure out how to make it work. I will try to accommodate as many possible options as I can without just diluting the setting or ruining the vibe.

Once you have the core of race/class/origin, I think the rest falls into place pretty easy. Most martial or half-casters are going to make use of the Unleash Spell which is quite unique. It can be cast as a Cantrip or upcast into any Spell Slot for more amplification, but it basically acts as a customizable boost to your physical stats. It's not exactly a small one, either. With no training or practice, Unleash cast as a Cantrip will add a plus two to all physical stats and Cast as a level One Spell, plus four. This will change and evolve over the course of the game and usage. Given that Spellswords will have an inherent magical quality to them, as if dual-classing, this means even martial classes will be granted a considerable boon equal to that of full casters and their growth rate.

For a Martial Class, explain how you want it to work or provide me an example and we'll work on it, plus incorporating the Unleash Spell.

For a half-caster or a mageblade-type character, we would pick what your magical and martial sides will do and probably how they utilize in tandem with their fighting style.

For a full-caster, you could either try something custom or we could try to work in a class from any one of multiple source materials.​

Pick some spells, I'll help with assigning stats, and that should just mean allowing the flow of creativity to fill out the rest. The general idea starting is that every character will be a Level One Spellsword (so a Twice-Blessed Dungeoneer) entering the Dungeon for the first time (so probably young and inexperienced). Parties are often assigned by the Dungeon Guild, though if you have a friend and you want a preset, I can work with that. Much like with any game, though, you may want to consider party-balance. Point is, how you end up achieving the goal of being a level one Spellsword is up to you.

Last edited:

"The only thing that matters in Ardynport is coin and even that is a constant struggle. New money and old wealth have been at odds for decades."

Ardynport, the The Gateway to the East. the City Ruled By Coin, or simply known as a Sister City, is one of the fastest-growing cities in the world. Located on the continent of Sharst, it sits upon the Southernmost tip of the Verdant Lowlands in a region known as the Green Sea. It was once a simple settlement along what was then called the Il'uhn Passage, but exploded into trade activity once it was determined the Il'uhn Passage was the shortest route that could be traveled between the prosperous Kingdoms of the East to distant locations to both the far-West and North of Ardynport. Until the War of Warm Waters, Ardynport remained neutral to any single kingdom or empire, even legalizing slave trade and pirated goods. Afterwards, it was peacefully annexed into the Borosi Empire and the Il'uhn Passage integrated into the Borosi Sea.

Ardynport is constantly expanding due to the its influence of wealth, goods, and people. It has developed the entire Southeast portion of the city to account for the larger population and their demands. Farmland is being pushed North and West with new irrigation channels being carved every year to increase yields. Even before the emergence of the Dungeon, Ardynport saw large income through various trade, not only due to its prime location. The City is known as one of the "Sister Cities of Slavery", a series of three cities worldwide that buy and sell the most slaves. At one time, this was even a source of shame with all slave-related business forced to occur West of the Ardyn Channel. This tradition evolved into the Western portion of the city becoming full of frivolity and more lucrative trade, only made worse by the emergence of the Dungeon.

Geography
"It's a fucking coastal port city. It's exactly what you expect."

Ardynport, for a good majority of the year, has pleasant weather. Mild winters and while the summer sun can be hot, there is almost always a salty breeze to accompany it. Humidity can be quite high, especially near the coast, but it is otherwise pleasant. A drought is much rarer than a flood, and in fact, there exists a season in the early Spring where flooding is quite common, though to varying severity. It is believed that the river which creates the Channel of Ardyn is fed by mountains to the far North of the Green Sea. Thus, these floods come from the first melts of those mountains during the end of winter. In late fall, tropical storms have been known to hit Ardynport, causing considerable damage. In recent years, farmers have carved irrigation ditches into the river in the event of flooding to reroute excess flood water to ideally expand farmland.

The continent Ardynport is located on is most widely known as Sharst. Sharst is believed to be the largest known continent in the world, though this is impossible to determine. The farthest Northern sections of Sharst have never been explored by non-native races as they are strictly Elven territory with naught but a few demi-humans believed to coexist within. Because the Elves do not map their lands in the traditional sense and no humans (or other) species have ever explored it, the true shape of the continent is unknown. The known portions of it create two connected landmasses and a large bay in the center. Ardynport is located on the western landmass the passage it is above acts as the Northern most (and closest in general) waterway for the Kingdoms of eastern landmass and surrounding islands to trade with the Western World. To the immediate South is an entirely different, smaller continent which is home to the Borosi Empire.

The War of Warm Waters saw conflict in the bay, islands, various passages, and overall dozens of smaller bodies of water. Once the war came to a close with the Treaty of Al'mar, the area was divided into two major bodies of water under the control of different Kingdoms. Ardynrport falls into the Borosi Sea with the Il'uhn Passage being integrated into it.

The body of land Ardynport is specifically on is known as the Verdant Lowlands. Prior to this, it had an Elven name that has been forgotten to all but the archivists of the Ardynport library, and it is a fact not openly taught. Similarly, the area that connects the Verdant Lowlands and the Eastern Kingdoms is known as the Green Sea. A misnomer as it is named after the waves of virgin forest protected by the elves of the region, but fitting regardless. There are parts of the Green Sea that remain green year-round. Similarly, the Green Sea has its own elvish name, but such has been neglected since the first expansion of Ardynport.

History
"No one needs to know this."

One could argue that Ardynport was retroactively named and founded. It began as a settlement formed by renown explorer, Commodore Lancewerth Ardyn, as he led expeditions to map the western expanse of what would later become known as the Verdant Lowlands. Captain Ardyn, as he was most commonly known (despite his higher rank), is credited for establishing over a dozen settlements and colonies that either still exist or continued to for centuries. While he was not the one to determine the location Ardynport is found at is the Northernmost outlet for the Eastern Kingdoms, his discoveries at sea and attempts at creating the first cohesive map of Western Sharst were fundamental in the eventually discovery. The first recorded name of the settlement was the Western Band which remained as it grew. It was not until nearly a century later that its true value was determined due to its location and it was retroactively dubbed Ardynport.

Captain Ardyn was a charismatic leader of men, reported to have been an excellent salesman and put even the saltiest of pirates at a calm with his demeanor. It was common for him to create settlements like this by convincing the local population to assist in their construction for the sake of trade or peace. The settlement started as a location Captain Ardyn stopped to hunt game, but became a more permanent fixture at his befriending of the Demi-Human population in the area: a the otter-folk of the split river known as the trident (this would later on go on to be renamed the Channel of Ardyn for the center with the left and right being known as the tips). During his lifetime, this settlement remained a peaceful place of cohabitation with only the first few families colonizing in the decades that followed.

The next several decades saw increasing friction between the local population of demi-human otter-folk and the human colonizers. Without a figurehead such as Captain Ardyn, the peace that was held for so long hung on lose threads. At the time, the local demi-humans by far outnumbered the human population. What could have easily became a mapdot in the history of human expansion as yet another massacre ultimately became quite the opposite. For one reason and one reason alone: a map, for the most part, had been complete. It became obvious to the Eastern Kingdoms that the path through the Passage of Il'uhn—named for the chief of the Otter-folk tribe that introduced it to Captain Ardyn—could save between thirty to forty days of sailing by entirely avoiding the loop around the Southern continent. Every Kingdom wanted the location for itself, but more importantly, they needed to prevent its destruction.

What ensued was a multi-prong naval attack that secured what would become Ardynport. The Eastern Kingdoms additionally agreed to effectively use the port freely and founded Ardynport as a free city under none of their rule to avoid the massive war that would occur if they tried to fight over the port. Even if one of them had one, holding the port indefinitely would likely be impossible. This is what started the long tradition of Ardynport being independent. It might have come at the cost of several villages of Demi-Humans and hundreds of lives, but it set the groundwork for what would become the linchpin in one of the largest trading networks in the world.

Ardynport would continue to grow, spreading North along the fertile lands of the river. While it was possible, flooding and other environmental issues made farming directly on the island structures of Ardynport difficult. As the city grew, the need for food continued to rise, but it was nigh-immediate that the farmers and eventually townsfolk ran into the issue of the remaining Demi-Humans. Otterfolk were not the only demi-humans around. There existed an entire ecosystem in the Verdant Lowlands, both of local animals and the Demi-Human population that inhabited the area. It was relatively easy to defend the island-cities that were Ardynport, but expanding proved difficult.

Yet again, this sparked another war. This war lasted only three years and yet again resulted in the deaths of hundreds of Demi-Humans. However, the human navies of the Eastern Kingdoms proved incapable of marching far forward into the Green Sea due to the elves that guarded it. The Eastern Kingdoms failed to even wage war with the elves of the Green Sea on their side of the bay, let alone one so far separated from their homeland. Ultimately, this resulted in an agreement where a hard line was drawn between where the humans may peacefully farm and live and where they would be considered encroaching and hostile if they passed.

With the short war of expansion at an end and farmland secured, Ardynport continued to build and expand for the next century to come. The city was growing and thriving, creating docks and proper ports across nearly the entire expanse of the south shore on both sides of the island. With the influx of money also came the first clear signs of differing classes. Aggressive marketing tactics and the securing of land to build upon resulted in friction between both some of the wealthiest parties within Ardynport and the lower class that was at the time being overworked. What amounted to a civil war started and was soon quelled all within a series of weeks, but the short skirmish became integral to the ruling class of Ardynport even to this day. The Eastern Kingdoms refused to intervene, allowing the merchant class of Ardynport to secure the aide of mercenaries to essentially take full control over the city. Afterwards, it became a plutocracy with the merchant class being the ruling class.

With it clear that coin dictated who ruled Ardynport—so long as it did not interfere with trade—the era that followed the brief civil war had some of the darkest twists in history for the city. A select few merchants elected to begin a slave trade. At first, they would simply catch Demi-Humans to sell, but this sparked various problems that later required less direct methods to acquire them. Slave traders would disguise themselves as merchants or even hire actual smiths to have demi-humans that worked on farmlands legally per the treaty signed well over a century prior. They would often sell them tools or provide services that the Demi-Humans had no hope of paying off, ultimately resulting in them being sold into slavery to remove the debt. This tactic was soon outlawed via legislation, but the damage had been done. There existed a large supply of various species of Demi-Human to be bred into slavery. Beyond that, the slave traders also began buying farmland and created a system of indentured working. They would house and allow people of all races to work on land as indentured servants and even take a loss on the land as they often did not require the sheer number of farmhands they had. This tactic proved easily exploitable to manipulate these servants to either become slaves, sell themselves into slavery to free their children, or in the worst of situations even sell their children into slavery. Then, of course, there was the method of hiring poachers to cross the boundary of the treaty to capture demi-humans as slaves and return them. While this is illegal and dangerous, it does not breach the treaty and is highly lucrative; especially for rarer Demi-Humans only found further into the North.

With the city rapidly expanding and wealth pouring it, it faced an age-old problem: farmland. While it was possible to expand irrigation ditches and make more use of what was present, that would involve changing the exploitation of the farmlands and further would take time to develop the area. Agriculture simply couldn't keep up and the wealthy elite did not want to halt their economic growth. It was decided then that a second war with the North for expansion would occur. The mentality was that with veteran mercenaries and ambush tactics, the army of Ardynport would be able to succeed where the Eastern Kingdoms could not. There were plans to create an infrastructure of paid guards to maintain the area and a meticulous approach to encroaching on the river lands. All of this planning proved for naught.

The elves of the North had accounted for this violation of the treaty. They had trained and prepared the tribes of Demi-Humans to fight and make a unified front should such a conflict ever occur. Then, they need merely hold their land until the Elves arrived from the North. This tactic proved effective, but the elves and demi-human tribes were in fact unable to take back the river lands. The army of Ardynport failed to expand, but could effectively defend themselves. They saw this war as an opportunity. They created traps and sacrificed the very farms they were trying to expand in efforts to capture some of the rarer demi-humans and even elves. Because of this, they drew out the war considerably. The cost of a Wood Elf from the Green Sea on the open market was incredibly high, easily making up for the lost food.

The war slowed down after eight years as the Elves and Demi-Humans had become wise to the tactics used by the Ardynians. Meanwhile, the Ardynians knew that without the hope of capturing new slaves so easily, this war was only going to become costly in the long run. A new treaty was signed and this one involved new stipulations, such as a meeting every five years to discuss issues. It also demanded the return of captured slaves in return for a small expansion of land and the return of all captured farmland. It was factually impossible to return every slave and the Ardynians made use of the terminology in the contract. The compromise made was to return all captured slaves to the North that still resided in Ardynport. Many were returned, but the slave traders avoided breach of this contract by shuffling the most ideal of slaves around as well as keeping the children born in those eight years. This resulted in many slaves being returned, but requesting to go back for their children. Some were allowed, but act has soured all potential relations with the tribes of the North and Wood Elves of the Green Sea. Most meetings only see a confirmation that the status quo will be maintained.

Another century had passed since the failed attempt at expansion and a new war loomed on the horizon. Known as the War of Warm Waters, it had become primarily a naval war within the Bay of Green (the Bay created by the massive body of water between the Eastern and Western parts of Sharst as well as the Northern Green Sea), the islands south of Ardynport, every major passage of water in the area, and even some other bodies of water that were entirely unrelated to the Southeast. Ardynport was left mostly untouched by this war with the agreement they would house representatives from each nearby Kingdom and allow trade to continue. Their goal was to peacefully deliberate with the winning side. Given the value of Ardynport and the massive battles occurring elsewhere, this arrangement proved mutually beneficial.

The two decades that the War of Warm Waters lasted were tumultuous at best. The vast gaps in wealth only grew with even some wealthy houses falling to ruin as their goods were simply worth less in war time. Meanwhile, the value of combat slaves were at an all time high. The lowest class within Ardynport suffered, but none more so than the slave class. Many were left to starve or literally worked to death to keep up production as to feed the city. It was truly the cruelest of times in Ardynport as war allowed the few ethics that existed there to slacken. And, in the wns, no one truly paid for it. There was no sack of the city. The Borosi Empire to the South won the war and annexed Ardynport, restructuring the governance of the city but electing to leave it primarily independent, merely paying taxes and instilling a new leader and church. In Ardynport, life went on.

A new Dungeon emerged to the Northwest of Ardynport six years after the War of Warm Waters. It was a precarious location where it was not close enough to any body of water, including the Lake Nar'doun, for easy transport via waterways. It was also located too far away from farmlands to be easily accessed and even in a spot that was considered for for clearing to develop farmland in general. It proved to be quite the unique Dungeon as it did not incorporate itself into the natural landscape, but rose from the ground in a thunderous roar during an earthquake as a fully-developed temple. This event caused a fair amount of destruction and even some loss of life, later becoming known as the Emerging.

The dungeon would become one of the most profitable and well-structured ever found. The result was a mad dash to create a safe pathway to the dungeon and a settlement around it, halting a large majority of the development of farmland and even some of the city to instead focus on the dungeon. The Council of Nine agreed on a name for the Dungeon, naming it after Amara, the first wife of Commodore Lancewerth Ardyn, following their trend of naming locations and areas in the city after renown historical figures. The dungeon in many ways altered the projection of the city. With the new resources from it, it could return to outsourcing more crops. Exploring the dungeon also allowed for a resurgence in the value of combat slave, sparking more life into the slave trade. Ultimately, the changes caused by the Dungeon pushed Duke Highwater to restructure the governing council of Ardynport to reflect the new powers of the city. The Council of Five became the Council of Nine, in doing so, allowing the voices of some of the most influential entities in the city to be heard; as a result, policy shifted in ways that did caused more friction in the council, but greased the wheels of the city to achieve higher profits and trade than ever before.

Culture
"Don't worry, I'll tell you when the holidays are. Move along."

Despite the image painted of Ardynport as a greedy town of slavers and the elite, the bulk of its people are much more grounded. Ardynians take great pride in their history and will often fight or argue regarding it. The general perspective of the average civilian is that Ardynians are survivors. While it might be easy to see them as coin-obsessed fanatics that have twice tried to steal land from the Demi-Humans, there is more to it than that. Ardynport in its early years was undermanned and without the resources it needed to truly keep up with the trade and ships that came through. It was in no small part through the work of crafty tradesman and good decision making that profits were even made, projects completed, areas constructed, and food kept in the bellies of its people. The town went through multiple wartimes that was hard on its people, but they managed to get through, and the community became closer because of it.

The lowest class in the city—the slave class—has shrank considerably from the era of their indentured servitude and war that followed. Slavery is still common, of course, but is often far less cruel. While brothels and work of the like do still still in the Western Island, overall mistreatment and hard labor has decreased greatly. Beyond that, most Ardynians have a general distaste of slavery and accept it primarily as a necessary evil that has helped the city survive.

On the other hand, there are those that only care about the coin. The slave traders make their money and employ poachers to venture North to acquire new slaves. Often, in a cruel twist of fate, these poachers include combat slaves led by mercenaries employed by less scrupulous members of the Ballard Trading Company. These men and women are not the average Ardynian. Many, in fact, are outsiders looking to make a quick profit by working for the unethical Ardynians.

Above the slaves are the indentured servants, most of the time farmhands. What was once a cruel system meant to ultimately con the uneducated and ignorant into slavery via magical contracts has since became a common way to escape slavery. Depending on their value, lower value slaves may be offered to work farmland for a set period of time to eventually gain citizenship. This would make them the lowest free class of Ardynport, but it would be freedom. In fact, many even attempt to return to their original homes in the North, though that does not always play out well. The tribes of the North rarely trust captured Demi-Humans due to ploys used in the war.

The lowest free class in Ardynport are often the uneducated masses with no set skill. Many elect to continue their lives as farmers, often working on the newest farms being established in the irrigated lands East of the river. Their children are then raised to gain and education and gain an actual trade within the city. Few of these farm-class citizens ever ultimately own land, normally claiming ownership of a home on a farm only after a generation of living in it. There are inherent problems with this type of system, such as taking care of the elderly or passing down these homes should they become vacant, but those generally addressed in a case-by-case basis by local leaders or currently are being pushed to the Council of Nine for long term solutions. Problem being that the farmers of Ardynport do not possess a seat at the Council of Nine as they do not bring in significant wealth and do not even produce enough to feed the city.

After the farming class is the actual first class in Ardynport that has any amount of realistic social stratification. These are the common men working common jobs, sailors, tradesmen without note, guards, and more mundane jobs. The vast majority of them are human with free demi-humans making up a small portion of the class, though this is projected to grow in upcoming generations as more and more slaves buy their freedom. Beyond this class, the social ladder becomes more complex. Members of the church, adventurers, lower ranking members of wealth families, and masterful tradesman are all considered higher rank the common man, but it is not so clear when compared to each other. Ascending further to the top simply brings once closer to the Council of Nine, which is mostly about proximity to the leadership. Only a few select individuals rank higher due to their own merit.

Ardynport has several festivals through the year, not exactly lacking in attempts to bring people together to sell goods. Some customs, though, are only shared amongst a portion of the population. For example, the autumnal tradition of a Harvestfire is almost exclusive to the northern farmlands. It is their one day a year of extravagant spending and celebration where entire settlements will create massive bonfires of materials not suitable to mulch, burn them, then dance and sing with wine and merriment. The Stonemasons have Carving Day, a yearly tradition where young, talented tradesmen will create their best works to present to someone with whom they would want to be betrothed. It is a throwback to an era where semi-arranged marriages were made to consolidate power via indirect means. The Summer Solstice is known as the Day of Espel, which brings large celebrations from the church and followers of Espel. These include large familial dinners and church sponsored activities.

There are two notable holidays open to everyone, including outside adventurers and dungeoneers. The first is held within the first few weeks of spring, when a flower known as the Violet Lace begins to open. This is called the Festival of Amara and its day varies year to year, being firmly selected by the ruling council. It is a holiday that harkens back to the founding of Ardynport and its celebration of Ardyn. A story once was told about Captain Ardyn where a mother of twins asked if her son could share his name and he replied that he never cared much for his own name, but loved that of his wife; he then asked if she would bless her daughter with such a name. That story has inspired the tradition of many things associated with Captain Ardyn being named after his wife Amara, such as the dungeon. During the Festival of Amara, the entire city explodes to life. Word spreads for traders and tradesmen alike to produce goods and be ready with food, services, and items to sell. There is dancing and music and merriment. It even brings in members of the Eastern Kingdoms and Borosi Empire.

The other day occurs at the end of the calendar year as is called Severance Day. Yet another tradition of Captain Ardyn, he put a large emphasis on ending issues before moving to a new location and making sure each chapter of his life and each journey he was on was lived to its fullest without being held back by his past. He would often burn that which he felt was only sentimental and held no value before departing from a port or a location. Severance Day is not just an Ardynian tradition, but it is one shared with many settlements and locations Captain Ardyn helped found. It is a day to say goodbye to the last year. Lost loved ones, the sorrows of the year, all that which would only bog one down for the following year. It can be a sullen, somber time, but it is followed with the first day of the new year and a large celebration following it.

While the official religion of Ardynport is that of Espel, or the Holy Order of Espel, there is actually no restrictions on worship at all. Any ancient religion or nature, anything that demi-humans may have carried on from their culture, or any religion or belief carried by the open seas that bring so many in.

Government
"The first thing you might actually want to read."

On a fundamental level, Ardynport is a plutocracy. This was most apparent prior to the War of Warm Waters when the city was primarily ran by a council of five officials selected from the wealthiest families. After being annexed into the Borosi Empire, the structure of the government shifted to a council led by a duke selected by the empire, an bishop from the Espel Church, and three alderman selected per normal tradition. The governing structure was yet again shifted following the emergence of the Amaric Temple and the changes it brought to the city. Ardynport grew exponentially as a both a massive hub of trade from East to West, but also a hotbed of rare material farming and adventurer activity. The council of five soon became the council of nine with four new seats created due to the sheer financial influence of their respective institutions. The ruling Council of Nine is comprised of the Duke of Ardynport, Bishop of Ardynport, three aldermen, and representatives of the Dungeon Guild, Stonemasons, Ballard Trading Company, and the Collective Free Companies.

The Borosi Empire, perhaps due to its size, uses a fairly hands-off approach to its rule over Ardynport. If not for the emergence of a Dungeon, the city likely would have changed very little under Duke Highwater. The Holy Order of Espel (the official religion of the Borosi Empire) only dictated that a church be built and a bishop be on the council, not that other religions be outlawed. The loss of one Alderman was hardly sufficient to change the landscape of the city. The dungeon and the subsequent wealth that came from its resources were the primary instigators of change and friction within the city. Old wealth was in many ways unable to keep up with the new economy. The early adapters to the Dungeon grew in power with four primary stand-out groups, excluding the neutral Dungeon Guild.

The Holy Order of Espel

The lawful good (and potentially lawful stupid) zealots of the world. They love the sun and all the life that it brings, going out of their way to protect farms and agriculture. They're tolerant of most races, but have a particular disdain of cave-dwelling races, anything subterranean, or night-dwelling folk. If you look hard enough, you can see beyond the ranks of airheaded brutes to find those that understand there is love in all that light touches. Some of their brightest flames burn from given a place and purpose in the orphanages of Espel.

Espel, God of the Sun and origin of light, is the patron deity of the Holy Order of Espel. Espel is often portrayed androgynously, sometimes as a masculine solar figure, sometimes as a more feminine dancing candlelight or stars. Espel is not, however, ever associated with the moon. The Holy Order of Espel is one of the few religious orders to exist in the world. The miracles and blessings bestowed to their followers are some of the only proof that Gods still exist. The Holy Order is massive and technically independent of the Borosi Empire, but the two are so closely intertwined over centuries (if not longer) of historical interaction that they nearly go hand-in-hand. Such is why a sun is included in the symbol of the Borosi Empire.

In some lands, the Holy Order act as great and truly benevolent benefactors. Their priests may send prayers for better harvests or to prevent flooding. Of course, many of them may act as local healers. Their tithe is generally fair, and in many kingdoms, they may provide a tithe of ten (a notarized plate of some kind) to a tax collector, reducing their taxes by generally at least an equal amount for that year if they provided ten percent of their own income. Paladins often act as both sheriffs or bounty hunters in the name of Espel, avoiding the need for Borosi Knights to intervene, which would often be slower and more costly. Crusaders are even more aggressive, often hunting down beasts, evil, and bandits.

In Ardynport, the Holy Order of Espel was one of the first groups to approach the dungeon in an organized way. The Holy Order of Espel consider dungeons to be the antithesis of Espel. Once entering, no light from the sun can enter and all light sources lack of presence of Espel. They are considered unholy, desecrated places. Thus, the Holy Order desire to destroy them. The Holy Order hosts some of the most powerful adventurers in Ardynport. They do not lack manpower due to their nature of recruiting from orphanages, acts of freeing slaves, and acceptance of most races. They also possess great resources in the form of extracted dungeon materials, tithes, and the vast international network their Holy Order is built upon.

The Stonemasons

The shady benefactors that, in their own way, truly run the city. They border on being a criminal syndicate, but there is no denial that they are family. The Stonemasons are tight-knit, generational, and require either marriage or years of dedicated service to join. Yet, if you are one so lucky to be included, you perhaps have more connections in Ardynport than even some of the wealthiest families. Their motto is "Sanguis Convent"—and they stand as proof that bonds forged via generation brotherhood are stronger than any one family.

When the first alderman of Ardynport was removed following the War of Warm Waters, it did cause strife in the city. While an overreaction at the time, many believed that the Borosi Empire would bring swift changes to the social hierarchy of the city. Of course, plutocratic classes couldn't have that. The Stonemasons became the perfect backdrop for the wealthy to begin supporting and join in an attempt to permanently secure their footing in the city. They were once a proud group of skilled tradesman that helped build the city, families among families, countless generations of hospitality, and favors traded for favors to make sure locals were always on the winning side of trades and bids.

The Stonemasons were host to all forms of skilled craftsman. Even some famous town bards were ranked among famous blacksmiths, depending on the time. Their back-alley deals, traded favors, and now increased funding kept them in relevancy while some wealthy families began to dwindle. Once the dungeon emerged, the Stonemasons cemented themselves as important figureheads in developing the economy around it almost immediately. Construction of bridges, roads, and the outposts to the dungeon were entirely on them. The Stonemasons also run many of the trade routes and markets both within the top floor of the dungeon and surrounding it. Beyond that, Stonemasons have a tight grasp on many local trades to such an extent that even the Holy Order of Espel and Free Companies must often buy directly from them.

While almost never proven, the Stonemasons are known for less than savory tactics to preserve the foothold they have on various goods and services, such as blacksmiths, armorers, leatherworkers, and alchemists.

Most notably, the Stonemasons have created methods of magical forging effectively stolen from elves and demi-humans during the wars where Ardynport encroached on the North. They have held onto these techniques and even found new ways to apply their knowledge, expanding upon it in what many might consider bastardized ways. While they will sell these items to other groups, they use their very best equipment for their own elite groups. While they number in the fewest of any faction, they are some of the best equipped and have no qualms either working with Free Companies or acquiring powerful slaves to assist them. It is not uncommon for Stonemasons to compete with the Holy Order to clear a floor.

Ballard Trading Company

There is no way to glorify the slave trade. The vast majority of this faction sell sentient races for large profit and rarely care why or to whom they're sold. The only positive traits this group is known for are their intelligence and suave wordplay. Some of the most savvy traders get into the business because of the potential for profit, so it is the home to the morally bankrupt but financially wealthy. At the very least, there do exist some that would work from the inside of the coalition to try to find legal loopholes or backdoors for a life of freedom for some slaves.

The Ballard Trading Company is a coalition of slave traders and associated slave services found within the Western half of Ardynport. While many consider it to be the largest stain on the town, is also a well-understood fact that Ardynport would be neither as prosperous or influential as it was historically, even with the emergence of the dungeon. The market has had a long history of rivalries leading to various shades of gray and ethics even peers within the market question. The diverse set of opinions and practices are the reason why the coalition and thus the Ballard Trading Company only formed with the recent emergence of the dungeon. There needed to be a singular voice advocating for their cause, lest they fall to infighting and forfeit their admittedly deserved influence.

The company, at core, focuses on the regulations and valuation of combat slaves. The method of branding slaves varies between proprietors. For the lowest value slave, a simple mark of ownership is enough. These are often simply emblazed on the skin, but such minor damaging of goods matters little to those slaves only meant for menial tasks or company. There is a market for slaves of the lascivious nature or those that prefer less barbarity; for those, magical sigils take the place of their mark and even allow them to be tracked. Some might even engage in a magical contract of sorts, especially if they are working towards their freedom or assured a marriage. Combat Slaves, however, always require a magical contract alongside a magical item, typically a harness, to assure their loyalty and performance. The company makes sure that every cost is taken into account, fighting for their higher valuations in the Council of Nine quite often.

Some proprietors focus purely on combat slaves and even reach out to the Sister Cities or slavers from across the seas to acquire what is in high demand. They may even pay to have a slave trained in a specific style of combat. They may even pay to find one twice-blessed. Some proprietors come from a lineage with a more dubious history, such as the Ridrick family that spent their wealth purchasing elvish slaves taken from the last attempt to expand until they had a near-monopoly. Their selective breeding and ownership of the vast majority of elves have led to the Wood Elves of yesteryear being called Ridrick Elves, and becoming more urbanized. Then, of course, there are proprietors that do not sell slaves as much as they rent them out in brothels or to taverns before finally letting them go cheaply, often to the Northern farmlands.

Even the name of the Ballard Trading Company has a spiteful origin: it was selected from a historical figure—Joseph Ballard—that stood against allowing the slave trade in Ardynport during the civil war so many centuries ago. The best of the coalition attempt to find freedom for many slaves via the law or the Church, the worst of them work diligently to increase the value of life... so that they can sell it for that much more coin.

Collective Free Companies

Not everyone is a local. Not everyone follows the same path. Some people have the freedom to walk in the direction they want. To those willful adventurers, Free Companies are where they often find themselves. Some are bound by fate, some instead seek fame. Some are friends for life, some are allies of convenience. There is no real method to the madness of Free Companies, only that they explore the dungeon for their own purposes and often find it better to work with other like-minded souls than to ally themselves with the forces of Ardynport.

Any group that is not affiliated with the Holy Order, the Stonemasons, or the Ballard Trading Company is generally considered a Free Company. They are often mercenaries or outsiders to Ardynport that either came in too strong to start out in the Dungeon Guild or otherwise did not want to. There is little rhyme or reason to the Free Companies. Some call them the greatest explorers of all time; those are fated to find their end in a dungeon or to whom sailing the sea was not enough. Some call them star-crossed adventurers, some simply say they were born too early to explore the stars. A lack of affiliations in a town full of nepotism and greed created the need for some type of alliance for outsiders.

That is the Collective Free Companies. They are arguably the newest faction on the rise, but what they lack in permanence, they makeup for in both potential and sheer volume. Not only that, the Collective Free Companies will often turn a blind eye to the sins of their brethren and defend each other against both the dangers of the dungeon and other groups if need be. Most of them have spent years in Ardynport being victims to the unfair advantages of the locals or the expansive reach of the Holy Order. In that sense, many have found kinship with each other even if they are not in the same party. They dare not form factions among the Free Companies else risk forfeiting the influence they have in the Council of Nine, but silent agreements do exist amongst some parties.

Free Companies have the most diversity as their members are often from across the world or even blessed by a forgotten god of a far-away country. If not for the high volume of trade that comes through the Passage of Il'uhn, it would be a wonder as to how some of them came to be in Ardynport.

That is not to say that the Free Companies are the most safe or profitable of groups. Many of them do make a fortune over time, but death is often around a corner. Some seek vengeance instead fortune, some prefer the challenge, some seek a rare drop unique to the dungeon in Ardynport, some might even wish to conquer the dungeon itself. Some, however, may be vile criminals masquerading as adventurers. Some may leap at the opportunity for mass murder or a party wipe solely for their own glee. Some might seek even worse. This risk is why perhaps more than any other group, Free Companies must look out for each other. It is also why they often enlist slaves that cannot defy orders; a necessary evil in their preservation of life.

Dungeon Guild
"Skip to the last paragraph for the most important stuff."

The Dungeon Guilds are almost a church in and of themselves. Not that they follow any one God, but that Dungeon Guilds tend to be relatively neutral, international entities that have independent connections and values than their city or even country hosting them. The Dungeon Guild of Ardynport is no different. Dungeon Guilds bring some amount of order and stability to the adventurers that seek to go into a Dungeon. These adventurers are often called Dungeoneers or Dungeon Delvers and the lifestyle can prove as lucrative as it can be dangerous. Dungeoneers often go on to become quite powerful mages or warriors in their own right, in such cases almost always electing to leave the profession behind for other worldly exploits. Still, the bonds forged in a Dungeon Guild are often stronger than any merchants association or fraternity and many retired Dungeoneers either try to help the newer generations or call on favors from more active Dungeoneers, sometimes even across the world, where they may have influence.

The Dungeon Guild of Ardynport falls into the category of an exposition-style guild. This style of Guild is one of many that exist and is arguably less powerful than more all-encompassing Guilds. Exposition-style Guilds work with the local government or factions to create a safe environment for new Dungeoneers. This is often necessary, and in the case of Ardynport absolutely is, because Dungeon Delving-for-profit is very much a profession where veterans will "eat their young" so to say. This is worsened by the fact Ardynport has four major factions in the form of the Holy Order of Espel, Stonemasons, Ballard Trading Company, and the Collective Free Companies. At lower levels in the dungeon, these factions may even openly fight with each other.

In the Amaric Temple dungeon, the Dungeon Guild has been given jurisdiction over the top thirty floors, but Dungeoneers may not proceed further until they are accepted into one of the other four factions. This is the agreed upon method for maintaining a safe environment for new Dungeoneers without encroaching on the profits, fame, and glory to be made in the lower floors. Most Dungeoneers will need to prove their mettle in the Dungeon to earn their way into one of the other factions, though there are other means. In general, this is gaining experience, being appraised at a higher level by the Guild, completing secondary objectives known as Quests, and overall gaining fame in the Guild itself. Even after joining a faction, the Guild still involves itself by tallying successful expeditions, assigning and logging completed quests, and regular level assessments.

The Dungeon Guild assigns Quests based on needs for goods determined by market values. Some Quests, however, may not be to acquire a type of resource. Instead, they may include guard duty for certain floors, escort and rescue objectives, individual objectives that can be bought by independent parties, and even some Quests intend to evaluate the capability of an individual or group in any given setting. Not every expedition may have a Quest assigned to it and some Quests may be the entire purpose of an expedition. This is often the case with Guard Duty. It is not uncommon for veteran parties of any faction that are reputable and trustworthy to be assigned to guard a floor in the event of an emergency or to prevent the exploiting of other Dungeoneers, though this only applies to the upper thirty floors. There are no commonplace guards on floors thirty and below.

The Dungeon Guild sets the rules and guidelines for all expeditions. For example, it is considered poor etiquette or an infarction to knowingly attack a the target of another party unless help is requested, and if the latter occurs, it is expected to be a fifty-fifty split. Additionally, for particularly tough prey, a single Dungeoneer may claim it as their "quarry" and in doing so it is considered poor etiquette for the party or any other party to assist in fighting said creature, unless the situation becomes life-or-death. Combat between parties in the Dungeon is strictly prohibited. As this rule has caused considerable backlash, any two individuals in the Dungeon can consent to a duel via contract magic. In such case, they are compelled to a fight outside of the Dungeon within seventy-two hours of both parties exiting. There are more forms of rules and etiquette, but there are also guidelines for party structure. For example, every party should have one dedicated non-combatant known as a supporter. Their role is to haul the resources the group acquires on their expedition and often they invest in their own methods of doing so. Supporters are not required to bring additional materials such as potions or food for the remainder of the party, but their pay generally dictates their usefulness. A party should never include fewer than three Dungeoneers with four or five being considered ideal. Once parties become larger, it is common for them to split into squads which may or may not share a supporter. In general, it is suggested that a party have an individual capable of using magic, capable of healing either via magic or first aid, a warrior to fight in the front lines, and at least one individual knowledgeable in traps. The top thirty floors of the Temple have few cave-like systems, so map-making skills are generally unnecessary at this point and there is a larger focus on the temple-layout, which does include resetting traps.

Points of Interest
"I like named locations, do you like named locations?"

Ardynport Library
As simple as the name is, this building holds countless historical accounts of citizens of Ardynport and records of businesses, wars, trade, and dockets from the city courthouse.

Ballard District
Better known as the center of all slave trade in Ardynport, this location is quite large, located immediate to the west and all along the Channel of Ardyn. This location houses multiple types of slaves and markets, including notable brothels, "stables" for slave purchases and training, and barracks for combat slaves. Most Ardynians consider this to be the Red Light District of Ardynport. Its location is North of the majority of western ports and many sailors never have to venture further into Ardynport to have a good time. Additionally, various wares including booze and drugs are sold alongside cheap taverns with full all within this same area.

Church of Epsel
A building caught somewhere between massive church or small cathedral. It is surrounded by four greenhouses that have plants growing all year round and is famous for the massive stained glass ceiling in its main Hall. This church acts as the base of operations for the Holy Order of Espel in Ardynport, including the Archbishop and those of the Order that act as Dungoneers. This location acts as a place of worship, location to pay tithes, a shelter for the weary, and a focal point for some holidays.

Courthouse
Simply known as "the Courthouse", this building is located Southwest of the Dungeon Guild Headquarters. This building serves multiple purposes. It acts as the meeting place of the Council of Nine, as the home of most judges, the location most non-slave contracts are written and signed, and an underground series of prison cells.

Dungeon Square
A strip of tradesman and goods almost specifically aimed at Dungeoneers found on the Western half of Ardynport. It sits between three bridges: the hastily-constructed western bridge to the Dungeon, the centuries-old historical bridge to the Northern farmlands, and the Whitestone Bridge leading to the rest of developed Ardynport. This location is north of the Ballard District, allowing for convenient visits if necessary. However, for Dungeoneers looking to have equipment repaired, purchase more, restock quickly, or find cheap but secure inns, this location has it covered. It is not as fully developed or ornate as Eastern Ardynport, but it is highly functional and houses some of the best tradesmen in Ardynport.

Dungeon Guild Headquarters
Housed in a half-complete attempt at a College of Magic, the Dungeon Guild Headquarters is located North of both the library and courthouse. Following the War of Warm Waters, construction on this location was halted in favor of rapidly completing the Church of Espel. Once the Dungeon Emerged, it was repurposed into a Dungeon Guild as the Council of Five (at the time) deemed another point of interest in the form of a College was less valuable than a Dungeon Guild.

Golden Circle
A series of high-end homes for the wealthy elite of Ardynport located between the Highwater Estate and and various businesses within Eastern Ardynport.

Highwater Estate
Formerly known as Port Manor, this is the largest home in Ardynport, typically owned by the head of the Council of Five. Following the War of Warm Waters, it was assigned as the home of the Duke of Ardynport and labeled the Highwater Estate after the first Duke.

Light of Il'uhn
A large, historical lighthouse found on southern tip of the west entrance of the port. This was created as one of the first large construction efforts in Ardynport. The lighthouse was started before the city was known to be the gateway to the West and finished despite the realization that the Southern most tip would have been a better location had they considered the flow of ships.

Myriad Arcana
A shop full of magical items found in the Northeast portion of Ardynport South of the Golden Circle. Items in this location are not all aimed specifically at magic casters with many being able to assist warrior and farmer alike. Spell tutoring, grimoires, and scrolls can also be found here. Weapons and armor, however, are not sold at this location, though magical garments and robes may be.

Ruined Guardhouse
The ruins of a set of barracks and guardhouse that once sat on the East side of the Whitestone Bridge. These barracks were destroyed in the civil war of Ardynport and left as a reminder of what conflict can bring.

Virgin Merrow
One of the two largest alehouses in Ardynport, and the oldest. It is located South of the Courthouse and right along the corner of the coast.

Western Guardhouse
A newer set of barracks and guardhouse located to the West of the Ballard District and North of the Western ports. While the Holy Church of Espel primarily polices the eastern half of Ardynport, the Western Guards are recruited from locals and trained to both maintain order in the sometimes-rowdy Ballard District and often-rowdy hostels and taverns frequented by sailors.

Last edited:

The Amaric Temple (also known as The Temple of Amara or simply the Dungeon) is a relatively new Dungeon found to the Northwest of Ardynport. It is the most recent Dungeon to emerge and makes the eighth known active Dungeon worldwide, fourteenth confirmed (with six being 'defeated'), and twenty-second if accounting for eight additional historic ones that cannot be confirmed in the recorded era. It is a rarity among Dungeon as it marks only one of three Dungeons ever found that emerged as man-made structures, one of which being long-defeated. The Amaric Temple is more famous for being the most lucrative Dungeon to ever emerge with a large diversity of resources, including those both rare or otherwise hard-to-acquire.

Geography
The Amaric Temple stands five-hundred and twenty feet from its base to its apex at the top. Of that height, four-hundred and eighty feet are stairs. The ascent is fairly gradual and in total is exactly six-thousand, seven hundred and twenty-four steps including the very top of the Temple which is flattened off and partially covered by an additional twenty-foot structure designed to cast a shadow in the center of the temple. That is to say it is a very long walk to the top of the temple. Because of the height and volume of goods being exported from the temple, the Eastern entrance has been converted into a slope to allow for goods to slide down it. Similarly, the Western Entrance has a type of engineered zip line similar to those used in modern ski lifts, though obviously this is a paid service. There is entrance to the North and the Southern entrance has been left untouched, being the one Dungeoneers traditionally use.

The temple itself is actually quite the site to see, despite the modifications made to it and the surrounding settlement. It is comprised of what appears to be a sedimentary rock with a base color of a light to more brown tan, but possessing intermittent striations of a rusty red and even some white. From a distance, the temple would appear mostly tan, but up close, the rock itself has various swirl marks and is very fluid in appearance. The temple itself has four sides and appears like squares stacked on top of each other, shrinking in parameter roughly each thirty feet. The stairs that lead up the pyramid do cross over the square sections consistently and foliage of all sorts grows on the flat portions of each level, making the ascent up the stairs be fairly vibrant in colors. While it is laborious, it is not a chore without visual appeal. The carving and design of the temple may be rather plain, but what it lacks in etching or markings, the simple, rounded flow of its corners alongside the swirl marks of the stone make up for.

The apex of the temple, despite being considerably smaller than the base, is still quite large. Large enough to house an infirmary, guard station, and multiple shops for last minute wares or necessary wares upon exiting the Dungeon. This is also the drop-off point for large sums of wares to be taken to market via the chutes. These are, of course, sold at a fairly high mark-up for the sake of convenience. At each of the four corners of the apex are large stone pillars, each of these a solid mahogany-colored stone, that arch up to connect to a circular dial at the top. This dial then casts a a shadow onto one of two surfaces below, acting as a sun dial with well-tuned notches to account for the shift in solar position over the year. Traditionally, one does not step inside the shadow it casts as it is believed to cast bad fortune on a party. The Northern section of the apex houses the entrance to the dungeon: an open stone archway that leads to downward stairs and the first floor.

The Secured Floors
Floors one through four are dubbed "the secured floors" and for obvious reason. The first floor, much like the apex, is almost a settlement in and of itself. The four major factions and the Dungeon Guild each have a section acting as their ground base. There is an additional emergency aid tent here. And, effectively, a whole market that exists. Resources and goods can be traded here more openly than they can be once they exit the Dungeon, making this an important place for under-the-table commerce. This level also has various individuals skilled individuals offering to teach basic skills to new Dungeoneers, mend and repair equipment, cook food, and various other necessary tasks in-between delves. Each faction also has different methods of securing goods between delves as to avoid overloading an inventory. The Dungeon Guild allows for low-cost rent of locked compartments that each possess a high-quality magic bag, acting similarly to a lock-box system in a bank vault. What spawns in the first floor are often weaker plant-like or rodent-like creatures that are easily dealt with.

The second, third, and fourth floor are not as well-defended by guards, but generally still have a capable group patrolling at any given location. These were once only dangerous when creatures could spawn in number. Many of the same rodent like creatures would create packs, some would grow larger and be the leader, living vines and moss could evolve into moss men, so on and so forth. With guards posted as frequently as they are, creatures are not permitted to grow in number or rank. The reason these floors continue to be secured by guards is a culmination of the ease of doing so, the fact that many of the Dungeons immediate materials are used for food or processed as an indefinitely supply of construction resources for the first floor, and mostly that it allows fresh Dungeoneers a chance to safely become accustomed to combat.

The Proving Grounds
Floors five through nine are called the Proving Grounds. It is in this location that largest majority of Dungeoneers willingly forfeit the profession. Here, the stone walls slowly shift from their tan colors to a whitish-blue and the temple becomes more labyrinthian. Guards are still posted at various points through the levels and Dungeoneers can purchase maps that mark guard locations, though they are generally costly. However, patrols are farer and fewer between and the floors grow larger as one descends. The Proving Grounds allow for monsters to grow larger and sometimes in groups, though generally they are not individually stronger than those on the previous floors if they were present. Rat Packs often lead by a Rodent of Unusual Size are more commonplace here and can prove quite problematic for those without armor. Moss men and even walking fungi capable of dispersing irritating spores are all present in more numbers.

Starting at the sixth floor, the Proving Grounds change considerably as the temple widens. While the entire floor is still illuminated, it now has places where it becomes less labyrinthian and straightens out, generally having two hallways with eight rooms on any side. These rooms respawn with unique encounters over time, often pulling creatures from lower floors. Stone Golems, Skeleton Warriors and Wisp Demons are some examples of what one might find in these rooms. They are considerably tougher encounters than what typically occurs on the floor, but are optional. Dungeoneers that stumble onto them and elect to take the challenge are almost always rewarded with disproportionately valuable goods, though at this level, it is never a unique item of any kind.

It is known that the tenth floor is guarded by a boss considerably more dangerous than anything present on the previous floors. While it does have a reset timer, the Guild firmly states a group should not venture forth if they are unable to defeat it. Beyond that, the creatures that spawned in challenge rooms now become common ones on the floors beyond. Because of this, it gives insight to the danger that will come with the profession if it is pursued. These floors are not particularly deadly, but they do kill the careers of many by extinguishing their desire to continue. Those that remain composed and capable of continuing are the only ones with any real hope of becoming a high-level Dungeoneer, thus the ones that have proved themselves.

History

Monsters

Resources

Last edited:

The Twice-Blessed are those greatly gifted with World Magic that their magical affinity manifests onto their skin (and fur) in the form of a marking, often unique and at first relatively small. The shape, location, and even color of this marking varies from individual-to-individual. These markings are most commonly called "Seals", though "Emblem" and "Brand" are common in some cultures as well. An individual that is Twice-Blessed is differentiated from those merely Blessed By Magic in several ways, most notably being that their potential for World Magic is so high that it will continue to grow with them even if they elect to train another form of Magic, with Spiritual Energy, or even more martial paths. The Twice-Blessed occur in great enough frequency that it is not uncommon to see them born into slavery and potentially remain Combat Slaves for their entire lives. Genetics also play no role in being Twice-Blessed as it is rare that their children are also Twice-Blessed and that they may occur in almost any race, including some that rarely even possess an affinity for World Magic.

Seal Growth
For all intents and purposes, a Seal Level will be the Character Level. As a character with a seal grows in power, their Seal will eventually mature to the next state, ie gain a level. Seals follow a growth pattern similar to Magic and Spell Levels with the two levels often going hand-in-hand, though not strictly. Character growth and power development can still occur between levels, though it does hit a plateau of sorts at the top-end of each level. New Spells can still be learned during any level, just as they could with a normal individual Blessed By Magic. While all Dungeoneers will have a level assigned to them from the Dungeon Guild, only the Twice-Blessed have a literal representation of it.

It is often thought that the Twice-Blessed grow twice as quickly as other adventurers or Dungeoneers. This is because of the notion that for every one level they gain, it is worth two for another adventurer. This understanding comes from the commonplace belief that the Twice-Blessed are quite literally Blessed By Magic two times. This commonplace belief may not be entirely accurate, but it is also not far off. In a Dungeon, the Twice-Blessed grow rapidly as their seals can continuously absorb the copious mana of the Dungeon. While there is a limit to this increased rate of growth, it accounts for whatever World Magic they elect to use becoming notably strong alongside their other Abilities or, if they are a Mage of any kind, their Magic growing nearly twice as quickly.

This faster growth can have an adverse effect on learning new spells, gaining mastery over martial talents, or expanding other forms of Magic. It is also possible for martial classes to become somewhat dependent on a unique Spell associated with the Twice-Blessed called "Unleash" wherein they may amplify their body with the magic from their Seal. This Spell is generally unique to the user and must be developed, meaning its intensity, duration, and even which stat(s) it increases may vary. It may become a Favored Spell and thus a Cantrip or it may become a wildly powerful enhancement through the addition of verbal and somatic components. In any case, the physical enhancement it can provide can easily become highly valuable to all types of warriors. However, it can become a crutch in the same way higher Spell Slots and thus the sheer increase in magical intensity can become a crutch for Mages. Often, those with Patron Magic suffer the least from this as they must abide by their tenants, Oath, or fiendish objectives.

Spellswords
The eponymous Spellsword is a portmanteau of sell sword and spell blade. More importantly, it is the name given to the Twice-Blessed that become Dungeoneers. The vast majority of Twice-Blessed at some point in their lives go down this route as there are few other ways to so rapidly develop their seals, hone their abilities, and test their skills. While it may be possible to have similar development in terms of mana availability near a ley line, those are often in out-of-the-way locations and do not provide the same challenge, networking, or potential for fortune that a Dungeon does. Dungeons across the world are always in demand for powerful, skilled Dungeoneers, thus the relationship between the two has historically proven mutually-beneficial. In fact, Spellswords of some type have been in the parties present of almost all recorded instances of a Dungeon being defeated.

Despite their name, Spellswords do not necessarily require swords or even melee combat. Many Spellswords are entirely dedicated Mages, commonly committing themselves to the advancement of their magic in full. Spellswords make for powerful Mages and even Archmages if they advance far enough. Many of which go on to leave the world of Dungeons and join the political factions of the world, gaining great fame and power. Because of this trend, Dungeon Guilds also often closely watch Spellswords that focus entirely on their magic to evaluate not only their progress, but their ethics. Planar Magic itself is quite rare, but it is possible to be Twice-Blessed and have access to Planar Magic. It is also possible to have a Fiendish Patron or a Fae Patron and be Twice-Blessed, thus while it is rare, there are Spellswords with a wide-array of magic and versatility.

Spellswords are also common in the Holy Order of Espel with many being pushed to become Crusaders or even Paladins. With their signature Spell, Unleash, they may utilize their martial prowess and Divine Magic in combination for brutal results in the name of their God. This specific combination is fairly common and quite fearsome. A Spellsword Paladin can strike fear into the most talented of Mages. Similarly, those that choose to focus on a martial path can become just as fearsome by honing their bodies and strictly focusing on self-buffs and the Unleash Spell. And, of course, this trend of magical-self improvement continues with Monks utilizing Ki and Unleash for incredible physical feats or even the Woven, followers of the Loom, using the Weave while enhancing themselves. As a Seal matures and levels increase, so will the effects of Unleash even if its user does not inherently focus on magic, thus Spellswords from all walks of life maintain a benefit from being Twice-Blessed.

Last edited:

Magic exists in many forms within the world, some of which aren't necessarily truly magic in the traditional sense. The defining trait of magic is most often where the source of power for the spell or ability comes from. The vast majority of magic in regards to both its practitioners and the creatures that innately utilize it is done via World Magic, or the mana coursing through the very planet itself. This is because it passively affects most living creatures on the planet in their day to day life, even from the point of their inception. Some races are even by default naturally inclined to use magic, making the majority of the species blessed. Other races are born blessed either due to environmental factors, genetics, or random luck. However, even if one is not blessed with the gift of magic, they may still attain it through a patron, most often a deity or spirit. Other forms of magic are much more rare or incorporate mystical energy less like mana and more akin to life force or spiritual energy.

Spellcasting
Abilities that make use of a supernatural form of energy (excluding Spiritual Energy) are called Spells. All Spells, at their very base, perform some type of function at the expenditure of energy. That energy can from one or even multiple of several sources, though the most common is the plentiful ambient mana supplied by the planet itself. Regardless of source, the fundamental rule of magic is that nothing expended is ever truly lost. In a similar vein, something than never be acquired for nothing. In this way, most practitioners of magic perceive it as a form of change rather than absurdity with infinite potential. Some Magic may even be more of an exchange of power rather than a direct change, but it is always ultimately equivalent.

Magic may be as natural as breathing or it may be intricate and complex. Some spells may require various components, reagents, and environmental conditions. Some spells may even require multiple casters. Magic is not bound to one school of thought, only the universal rule of equivalency. Even those that are Twice-Blessed or favored by the Gods must abide this rule. That is why the draw of dungeons is so powerful. In a Dungeon, world mana is so dense that most Spells have the cost of their mana immediately replenished by the environment. This entirely changes the dynamic of spellcasting as mana is rarely a limiting factor, specifically for World Magic.

Spell Levels
Not all Spells are equal. Spell Levels are given to Spells generally based on either their raw power, complexity, or the sheer volume of mana they require to cast. In Scholastic Magic, there are endeavors to categorize every Spell by its lowest level to cast. It is the common and generally-accepted practice to describe the power or difficulty of a Spell. Some magic users can cast Spells from a lower level at a higher level, some cannot. Some may only cast at their highest level at any given time. Higher level Spells require more mental strain and mana to cast. Whether inside or outside of a Dungeon, it remains true that higher level spells will exhaust a magic user faster. In general, Spells range in level from One to Eight. Ninth-level Spells are only the thing of theory and Tenth-level is reserved for deities or God-like beings.

Spell Slots
A term most commonly used by Dungeon Delvers and Adventurers, but is common now amongst most cultures. Spell Slots describe the potential for a magic user to cast a level one or higher Spell before needing a rest or to otherwise recuperate. A Spell Slot generally has a level associated with it denoting the maximum potential Spell Level a User could use it to cast with, though some can cast weaker Spells with it while some can only cast at their maximum potential at any given time. As mana is generally not a problem inside of a Dungeon, Spell Slots are the most limiting factor with most magic casters. The rate of recovery for Spell Slots is dependent on the specific caster, their class, and the type of Magic they use. Certain Spells, especially those that are Planar Magic, may have an entirely independent cooldown. On average, most magic casters can recuperate about half of their Spell Slots on a short rest, starting with the lowest-level ones if applicable.

Components
Some Spells may require either additional actions or resources to cast. There are three common reasons a Spell would have additional Components: a specific reagent is required for a highly-specific effect (and cannot be excluded regardless of skill), the components make a Spell easier to cast, or the components either empower or alter the nature of the Spell. Because Spell Levels are assigned based on the lowest-level a Spell can theoretically be cast, Spells that can be cast with specific verbal or somatic components at a lower level are given that level. It is common for these spells to be simplified heavily as a magic user grows in experience and has higher-level Spell Slots. In the case of adding components to change a Spell, some reagents may change the effect of a Spell. Verbal or Somatic Components may be used to provide additional effects, such as guiding a Spell, halting it, or even splitting it. Components often begin as footholds into casting new Spells and end as methods to diversify the applications of a single Spell.

Note all components are necessarily equal. Bards, for example, often have greater dexterity or vocalization, resulting in verbal and somatic components they add to a spell having more profound effects. It is not uncommon to see a Bard be able to cast spells as powerful as if not more powerful than a comparable Wizard or Sorcerer due to the higher quality of their components, though this is often at the cost of time and focus.

Cantrips
Either through experience or an incredibly simple nature, some Spells require next to no mental stamina to utilize. These Spells thus do not require a Spell Slot to utilize. In a Dungeon, they may be used nearly infinitely. Some Cantrips might hardly be magic, no more than parlor tricks. More commonly, these Spells are somewhat weak, beginner Spells that do have notable effects and can be improved upon with mastery. Some lower-level Spells may even reach a point of practice and Mastery that they effectively become Cantrips, though this does require a level of dedication and is somewhat rare due to it. Leveled Spells that work as Cantrips for specific magic user are often called Favored Spells and it is rare to have more than one. Favored Spells also benefit highly from adding additional components as they may be diversified and empowered even more. Some Cantrips can also be cast with more power, which will consume a Spell Slot, but can be useful situationally.

Concentration
Some Spells require the concentration of the caster even after they are cast. While concentrating, a magic user might have somewhat limited actions, but generally can still fight or even cast simple Spells. If the concentration of the caster is broke for any one of multiple reasons, their Spell will come to an abrupt end. While this may seem purely disadvantageous, the effects of Spells that require concentration are often greater or more controlled than one of a single-time use Spell that has a lingering effect. Furthermore, the use of a Spell with concentration can provide a prolonged effect and still allow the caster to fight with only the expenditure of a single Spell Slot.

Channeling
Channeled Spells require the caster's full concentration to cast. They often leave the caster without many options, including mobility, while being cast. Unlike chanting verbal components to cast a Spell, channeling is an effort to continue an ongoing spell effect. Channeled spells can be disrupted in various ways with the most common being to break the concentration of the caster. Channeled Spells are typically quite powerful, generally comparable to Spells an entire level above their own with prolonged effects. In some cases, Channeled Spells may be cast at a higher Spell Level to make them Concentration-based. Channeling is more often used to combine the power of multiple magic users in the form of a ritual or general collaborative Spell. Channeling eliminates the problems of timing and control found in other forms of collaborative Spellcasting. Much like Concentration Spells, Channeling also only uses one Spell Slot once cast.

Contestation
Magic Casters will often find themselves at odds with one another. Contestation differs from traditional "counterspells" in that it is, as the name suggests, a contest. Counter-based magic requires a magic user know and be able to cast the Spell they are countering. Thus, Counter-based magic is impractical and generally only seen in the wizened masters of the ivory towers in colleges, or perhaps a centuries-old Lich. What is more common is a Contest of Magic. When two magic casters are either capable of the same Spell or adjacent Spells, they can effectively try to commandeer the Spell. This is most often done by casting a Spell "into" the first and once the magic collides, the contest begins. Willpower and Dominion play huge roles in the outcome of a contest, though it is possible for a sufficiently greater caster to simply overpower another. Though, in such cases, it begs the question: why bother contesting the spell at all? Spell Contests usually occur either by accident, as a battle of pride between dedicated casters, or as some type of last-ditch effort.

Contracts
Perhaps the ultimate manifestation of magic choosing order over chaos, Magical Contracts are powerful, binding agreements. Contracts require a medium to be written on, ink for the writing, an implement to write with, and two "willing" participants. Paper, chunks of wood, slabs of stone, most will work reasonably for a Magical Contract. As for ink and an implement, blood and something as simple as a fingerprint will suffice. And, just as there are ways to bend the requirements of ink, the are ways to bend the rules of willing participants. Contracts will not work if one is charmed or inebriated, but the magic behind them does not care if they are under threat or duress. While a mortal court might find a contract absurd and demand it annulled, there is no magical court to do so. The binding power of a magical contract, if done by a professional, is so great that there exists no eight-level Spell to unbind or destroy it. It can only be unbound by either completing the contract or the willing dissolution of both parties. In some case, even death does not free one from a contract. With that said, contracts can be amended by those same professionals and they can be used in less nefarious ways than their common practice in slave trade.

Catastrophic Failure
Most commonly seen in aspiring magic users trying to learn new spells, Catastrophic Failure refers to the almost-explosive failure of a Spell. Most Spells if cast incorrectly will merely fizzle out. Starting at around the third-level, though, the power inside a Spell can be sufficient to cause a dangerous feedback of magical energy and at the fourth-level even an explosion. As Spells grow stronger, as does Catastrophic Failure. By the the fifth-level, Failure can even be lethal. Catastrophic Failure often comes from a lack of proper reagents, mistimed or misused components. It is rare that a lack of Willpower or Dominion over the magic will result in a Catastrophic Failure. Something must occur that is so egregious the Spell entirely collapses onto itself. Notably, during Contests of Magic, if the Contest persists too long or the contestants are too close in capability, it is possible for the Contest to have a Catastrophic Failure. In such case, both parties are affected but the outcome is situational, generally based on proximity. However, because two casters were involved, it is thus twice as dangerous of an outcome.

World Magic
World Magic refers to any magic that utilizes the ambient mana produced by the planet. World Magic is the most common form of Magic and is found virtually everywhere in the world. There exist few dead zones for mana and Dungeons produce an abundance of mana to fuel magic. Many races and creatures are born with a natural affinity for magic, some with innate capabilities similar to Cantrips. Magical Scholars have found the planet itself, be it mountains or sea, is full of vessels containing this mana known as Ley Lines. As study proved that the planet was the source of this mana, all magic that derives from the planet was dubbed "World Magic" in the scholastic world. It is more common, however, for World Magic to just be called magic. Patron Magic often utilizes different naming conventions, Planar Magic is so rare that it any naming conflict is a non-issue, and Spiritual Energy operates much differently than Magic. Thus, World Magic and Magic are generally synonymous.

Scholastic Magic
This is the most common form of Magic User found even amongst the most common type of Magic in existence. Most sentient races can learn to use at least some minor level of magic if they are taught and practice. It may be as simple as lighting a fire, but it is possible. Those Blessed By Magic may have far more potential, but it is the same principle: education and practice lead to reliable Spellcasting. While Scholastic Magic might seem as if it is the type to be solely taught in Colleges, it does also include local forms of Magic or well-kept family spells passed down from generation to generation. Tribal Magic is also a form of taught magic, thus scholastic. Users of Scholastic Magic may go by many names. Wizards are common for the strict study of Magic, though Bards may find Magic in the Arts. There is significant overlap. In formal Magic Colleges, there exists a loose hierarchy of Wizards with Pupils being the lowest, followed by a proper Mage, and finally an Archmage. In the outside world, different villages may refer to their local Spellcasters as Seers, Shamans, Magicians, or even Witches. In Dungeons, it is common to refer to any Magic User as a "Mage" and allow them to differentiate what type of Mage or their preferred title later.

Artisanal Magic
While related to Scholastic Magic, Artisanal Magic is differentiated by it being tied closely to a skill, proficiency, or craft. The most common example is of Magical Blacksmiths capable of forging Magical armor and/or weapons. Artisanal Magic is the Magic of Creation. It typically requires substantial time and investment for a longer-term pay-off. In that way, Artisanal Magic is less focused on Spells and more focused on infusing Magic into items. Another differentiation is that while a Bard may use music to augment their Magic (Bards are Masters of verbal and somatic components), they are still casting Spells. Thus, while they require skill with their Spells, those Spells are still more immediate. Artisanal Magic can be found with Chefs, Seamstresses, Leatherworkers, Jewelers, and all sorts of other trades. It is also not to say that a user of Artisanal Magic may not have a select few Spells at their disposal, but they are rarely for combat. Most are utility Spells, such as those that would light flames, boil water, or light a room.

Innate Magic
Not all Magic is learned, although education may enhance it. Some Magic is either the effect of environmental influence or genetics. Magical Creatures, especially those either evolved or mutated the effects of Magic, often have magical traits or even Spells all of which constitute Innate Magic. This type of Magic comes from lineage, genetics, or alterations to the body. Using this type of magic is often as natural as breathing. It may be instinctual or passive, especially for aquatic and Avian life. Magic Users with Innate Magic often have significantly higher Intuition and Dominion in the specific fields of their Innate Magic. Their ability to control their Spells may be such that they can enhance or modify them as if they had used an additional component without doing so or they may even have greater effects by doing so. Magic Users that possess and heavily rely on their Innate Magic are often called Sorcerers or even a Sorceress, though much like Wizards, their titles may vary depending on their origins. Users of Innate Magic are also broadly called "Mages" until they are given a chance to differentiate themselves. Notably, Magic Users with Innate Magic can still effectively learn Scholastic Magic, though they may not possess a Blessing to use it as effectively as their Innate Magic. In these cases, users of Innate Magic are often highly-specialized.

Druidic Magic
Outside of the world of Scholastic Magic and that which may come naturally to an individual is the magic that flows freely through the planet. Known as Druidic Magic, users of this type of magic often have a considerably great connection to nature. Often, Druidic Magic and Fae Patron Magic are remarkably similar. Druidic Magic can be studied, but often cannot be so easily recreated by Scholastic Magic. It is nigh-impossible to replace the connection one must have to nature by any artificial means. Druidic Magic covers a large variety of types of spells, most famously shapeshifting, but also various forms of healing and tracking. Druidic Magic is also very regional, being quite literally stronger in an area where the caster feels closest to nature. This can vary depending on the individual. Druidic Magic is known for also being the fastest to have its mana replenish outside of a Dungeon. Unlike Patron Magic, Druidic Magic is not "gifted" to the user. Druids and the mana they use is very neutral, rarely aligning with good and evil, and only causing backlash in events resulting in wanton destruction of nature. Forsaken Druids are known to even "corrupt" some environments they live in without being rejected by nature whereas those that cause destruction may immediately have their connection to nature severed, often permanently.

Patron Magic
Patron Magic refers to Magic that is in one way, shape, or form given to the user. Sometimes mana is directly given to fuel Spells, sometimes a Spell is directly cast. In either case, neither the planet nor the User is the actual source of the magic. This type of Magic often has different restrictions or generally works on different principles than World Magic. Patron Magic may also be affected by various traits such as high Willpower or Lability. In most cases, Patron Magic is not referred to as a Spell. This is not for any scholastic reason, but instead that the casters and their Patrons often do not equate their powers to the same Magic used in World Magic. Patron Magic can also come at great detriment or risk. A Patron may theoretically at any time entirely refuse to give their power to a User. Furthermore, some Patrons are societally shunned or questioned. They may also require the user live by certain tenants. Lastly, though, is the fact that the world itself is known to react poorly to the abuse of Patron Magic, even that of the Gods. Both the most devout man of God and wicked pursuer of fiendish intent know that there are times to act with moderation.

Divine Magic
Divine Magic is that which comes from a deity or god-like being. The most common remaining type of Magic like this is used by the Holy Order of Espel. While there do exist a handful of other faiths in the world, few worship a God or Pantheon, and even fewer are granted powers by them. In the case of the Holy Order of Espel, all Spells are referred to as Blessings. Furthermore, there are three primary types of Magic Users within the Holy Order. Priests are the first and most common within the Church. Warrior Priests can most certainly fight and hold their own, but their Blessings are often for support, either empowering or healing others. Their Blessings can also perform tasks that are somewhat nonsensical or overly complex for some World Magic, such eliminating poisons or toxins and cleansing blights. The second type of magic user is known as a Crusader. Crusaders are very similar to Warrior Priests, but are typically zealots for their cause. They are often greater warriors and can use their Blessings for more offensive capabilities, blinding and burning enemies. They are specifically good at targeting the undead, creatures of darkness, or otherwise tainted creatures. The final and most rare of all divine magic users are Paladins. While they do rely on divine power from Espel, they can further enhance it via their raw willpower and abiding by an Oath held dear to their heart. Paladins are perhaps the prime example of how Patron Magic is so different from World Magic; only through a Patron would their powers change through a feat if willpower and commitment.

Fiendish Magic
Rare and sometimes even overlapping with Planar Magic, Fiendish Magic are those powers granted by Demons, Devils, or other often malevolent forces. This all comes down to a Pact made with whatever being is offering power to the user. A Pact is a type of Contract between two parties where one offers power to the other in accordance with whatever terms are outlined in the Pact. It is rare to see a Pact made or sustained long with a being of true malevolence. More often than not, a Pact is made with a clear goal in mind. The individual receiving power from a Patron is expected to work toward that goal when and if possible. The gray area is how much their Patron expects them to slave away at their objective. Intelligent and patient Patrons have often higher-success rates and may even offer another Pact if the first is complete, offering more power in doing so. In this way, they continue to keep their working relationship going. If the receiving party acts against their Patron or the interests of their Patron, they may stop receiving power from their Patron. What has been given cannot be taken back, but it will eventually run dry.

Users of Fiendish Magic are most commonly called Warlocks, though again, this can vary culturally. It is nigh-impossible to hide their different source of powers from other users of Magic as there exists an entirely different feel or sense for it. Much like Wizards and Sorcerers, Warlocks may introduce themselves as a Mage. However, there is a stigma often associated with Warlocks resulting in them often trying to hide the source of their power. This is because most Fiend Magic is quite powerful with little ability to restrain it. Spells they cast, while few, cannot be controlled and friendly fire is an option. Not to mention, the ethical dilemma in allying with someone whom deals with demons. Some Fiendish Magic may even allow a Warlock to conjure Hellish creatures as if it were Planar Magic, but this again borrowed power from their Patron.

Warlocks also often find weapons to channel their destructive abilities, resulting in lesser friendly fire. Daggers are common, but a Warlock can become closer to a swashbuckling Rogue if they wish to harness their malevolent power for a more finessed approach. What they are and are capable of doing is generally a result of their Patron. The powers a Warlock can use and the dynamic of their Pact is as much influenced by their Patron as their own capabilities and desires.

Fae Magic
The Fae are the spirits of nature and the wilds. The planet itself has mana and ley lines, but some creatures transcend merely being influenced or evolved by magic and instead become one with it, and thus, the planet. These creatures are known as the Fae. They may have corporeal forms, but their true power always relies in their overwhelmingly strong connection with nature itself. They may even be locations given sentient form. They are also the Patrons of all Fae Magic. While their power originates from the planet itself, it is not inherently the same. Just as water that flows into pools or springs may take on the qualities of the environment it is in, so does mana. The mana of the planet is so much changed by its Fae hosts that it cannot truly be considered the same. It allows for many abilities that, much like Blessings, may not inherently make sense or work within the confines of World Magic.

The Fae are neither malevolent or benevolent, at least most of the time. When nature is damaged or destroyed, the spirits that protect it may react accordingly. But, nature in general is true neutral. As Patrons, then, the Fae do not require pacts or contracts like Warlocks nor are their tenants as strict or demanding as Divine Magic. Users of Fae Magic are often called Druids or Shamans, and they act as preservers of nature or work against abrupt and unwarranted change. As Dungeons are often created by wounds in the planet or major complications in an ecosystem, Druids may often find themselves drawn to them.

Druids have unique abilities to control and interact with the environment. They may also shapeshift or use odd, ritualistic magic. They may hear the dissonant whispers of the world. They may speak to plants and animals as if they were you or I. They may even take on the shapes of these creatures in some cases. In some rare cases, however, a spirit of Nature may hold a grudge or wish for vengeance. They may actively grant different abilities that are closer to that of Fiendish Magic and their relationship may be closer to that of a Devil and its Warlock. Nature can hold a grudge and, in the wrong circumstance, lash out at all those around it.

Planar Magic
Whereas Patron Magic draws its power from powerful beings, Planar Magic draws its power from entirely separate planes of existence. It is known, though not well, that there are countless planes all believed to be connected at some central nexus. While this is still an infant idea being researched, the existence of planes and their power cannot be denied. That said, Planar Magic is the rarest of all forms of Magic and truthfully only common enough to confirm it exists. What creates a connection to another plane or allows one to visit it is currently unknown to the mass population and is thus far so elusive and difficult to research that no college seems to have and finite knowledge on the topic; and, if so, it is generally anecdotal, being second hand. Still, the powers of true Planar Magic are a site to behold, often being regarded as some of the most powerful Magic in the world in terms of raw intensity. Planar Magic is also the only Magic type to somewhat bend a general rule of Magic; power pulled from other Planes may not be exchanged, but effectively taken. It is neither created nor destroyed, but moved across the planes.

Shamanistic Magic
Shamanistic Magic is the most common form of Planar Magic and the only one to occur with any amount of frequency. A true Shaman is a Magic User that is capable of pulling power from the elemental planes into this one. The planar energy pulled from the four elemental planes immediately transformed in this plane as its corresponding element. A Shaman must find ways to channel that power unless they simply wish to allow it to flow freely and unbridled. Shamans may use totems or enchant items, they may also concentrate the energy and launch it before allow it to convert. Some of these items may bridge over into Artisanal Magic as they require being prepared beforehand to use correctly. Shamans have only ever been found in more remote tribes, closer connected with nature. Older races such as Elves and Trolls are the most common Shamans, though some have been reported in Demi-Humans. No human, dwarf, halfling or half-breed has ever been reported as a Shaman.

Conjuration Magic
In all the forms of magic that exist, Conjuration Magic is the rarest. There exist planes of awesome and ethereal nature. Planes that are more complex than the elemental ones, twisting nethers full of their own sentient species. Conjuration Magic is the ability to, even if briefly, pull items, power, or even entire creatures from one of these other planes. The magic can be powerful and in fact can exert a high level of control over what is summoned. In some cases, it can also be as ferocious as Shamanistic Magic depending on the understanding of the Magic. However, there exist only a few families in the world with the potential to use it. Periodically, Planar Pilgrims from a Plane called Zer'uhn visit this plane, and some elect to stay. It is believed they are either fugitives or vagabonds seeking a home. In either case, their descendants have the potential to possess Conjuration Magic from the Plane of Zer'uhn. These visits closely resemble elves, but with a lighter purple skin, shorter ears, and generally shorter height than most adult humans. These traits are often long-diluted in their descendants, but said descendants may come from Humans, Elves, Demi-Humans, and even Dwarves, though Lizardfolk and Trolls seem incapable. There has never been a recorded instance of a descendant possessing the ability to Pilgrimage across the Planes. Users of Conjuration Magic are called Summoners, and in any given generation, there is likely less than ten.

Vel Magic
Vel Magic is unique in that it is almost universally hated, shunned, and feared. A Plane known as Velenor is a realm of infinite and corrosive darkness. A realm where darkness is not absence of light, but light is the absence of darkness. In Velenor, there is no light because the darkness has consumed all. Vel Magic is corrosive, powerful, and intoxicating. Vel Magic if allowed to flow freely can envelop and absorb the World Magic, the Blessings of Espel, powers from any Patron, and even powers from other Planes. Vel Magic is best seen as the first signs of a plague. An infection that is best snuffed out. If it is allowed to grow and consume, it will, and will infinitely until a world is as dark as Velenor. It is believed than many Planes of existence have fallen prey to Vel Magic. There is no known way to coexist or manage Vel Magic that is not to violently exterminate it. The Holy Order of Espel has worked tirelessly to suppress knowledge of Vel Magic and eliminate it any time that it occurs, though rare it may be. Vel Magic is considered the antithesis of Espel. There is no name for users of Vel Magic, ideally as they should never live long enough to be named.

Spiritual Energy
Spiritual Energy is plainly not magic, but it can be powerful. One might consider it the energy of the soul, another might consider it life force incarnate. Many cultures have various perspectives on Spiritual Energy and how to use it. Most commonly, it is used to simply enhance the physical capabilities of an individual, but it is capable of considerably more. Uniquely, Spiritual Energy is the only form of an ability that does not require mana or power from another. It is almost always purely the power of the individual harnessing it. While the capabilities of Spiritual Energy may not be as theatrically impressive as Magic, they should not be scoffed at as they, too, are superhuman.

Ki
Many cultures utilize their Life Force to empower themselves. They may be Monks making their fists hard as steel or Samurai making their steel swift as lightning. It is believed even that the rage of a great Troll Warrior or Giant Barbarian come from harnessing one's own Life Force. The greatest practitioners of this are perhaps the aforementioned Monks that teach the use of Ki and how to use it to augment the body. Some Monks with only the use of their Ki can match the speed of magically-enhanced individuals, beating out hastened foes with naught but their own skill. Some Monks may catch blades, deflect arrows, or halt hammers - that is, if one could even touch them. Many cultures have a Monk-like warrior that utilizes Ki or a similar word for Spiritual Energy to achieve the same effects, meaning that warriors of this type are common across the lands. Regardless of where they are from, refining their skills requires commitment and practice perhaps even beyond the scholastic demands of wizardry.

Mediumship
The ability to communicate with the dead, souls left behind that have not reincarnated. It is understood that after death, the vast majority of souls reincarnate. Even followers of Espel do not go to some grand afterlife. And, the planet itself will react when this cycle is disturbed by outside forces. Still, sometimes souls may linger on for centuries if their death was particularly problematic. They are bound before they reincarnate. Mediums can speak with them. Mediums can always perform psychic surgeries on others, healing spiritual problems that not even the Priests of Espel can do. Mediums can also tether a soul to a body, allowing more time for the body to be healed before a Soul passes on, thus circumventing death. Mediums go by many names, but their powers often have a stigma. It is known that there are often worldly consequences from tampering with the soul and spirits. Some Mediums, even, can communicate with the planet itself, not doing so via World Magic or any Fae, but directly with the living spirit of the world. They may be shown glimpses of potential futures or problems. These Mediums are rare and called Seers, though their powers are often unreliable and if forced can even anger the will of nature itself.

The Loom
Long ago, in a Kingdom far, far away...

...there was an order of warriors that believed a great power connected all life. That it connected even inanimate objects. These warriors were at one point capable Monks using their Ki, but they were the first and only order to incorporate Mediumship. In a way, these warriors became a hybrid of Monks and Mediums. They could sense the environment around them and possessed many abilities similar to those of Druids, but had no magic. Instead, they fought by reading the flow of life force through other beings as well as the entire environment around them. Unlike a regular Monk that enhances themselves with Ki or perhaps disrupts that of a target, these warriors were capable of influencing the life force of others from even a distance. This manifested as pushes and pulls, feats of both telekinesis and telepathy.

They called their power The Loom. It was a weave that connected all living things via infinite strands of infinite thread. They believed even the planet was just another stitch in the weave. It was by manipulating the weave that their powers were consistently recreated in new generations of warriors, these warriors being called the Woven Few (or just Woven if singular). The Woven may even be Blessed By Magic, though they would refute such gifts. To remain on the path of the Loom, they would require intense willpower and dedication. More so than even most Monks.

The Woven Few are now even Fewer. They Kingdom had long been destroyed in war and the city they called home, Andular, taken over and renamed. Many of their order died in the war, but some fled to the Andu Mountains. A cold and unforgiving environment that they were not pursued into. This order has long since forfeit the world, only sending out the a select Woven Few per year to recruit. Those that fail to grasp the Loom are brainwashed before being released back into society. These Woven are not your typical Monks. They are not as strong nor as fast as their training focuses on the flow of energy and the outside world, seeing every thread and how it connects. Still, what they make up for with their utility and perception make them more than a fair match against even more traditional Monks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back