Social attacks, are they useless?

EccentricNed

After reading the social combat rules and discussing them with a player, I feel that Social attacks are too easy to defend against for 2 main reasons. The incorporation of Willpower into the DDV, and the 2 Willpower limit before a player will half a perfect defence against mundane social attacks.

For the Dodge thing, the ability of a character to Dodge an attack in Social character could easily double their ability to parry without much trouble. You can't really draw a parralell with combat dodge, because Dodge 5 is the pinnacle of human achievment, as is Dex 5. But Willpower 5 is nothing special, it's about average. Most starting players will have Willpower 6-8. Average Humans can ignore conflicting beliefs better than they can do just about anything else. So, what to do?

Using Willpower makes sense in this situation more than any other stat so you can't really choose another. The only real solution, is to somehow make Parrying a social attack better. When one Dodges a Social attack, they just ignore all the points the enemy rose. But, when they parry, they are analysing what he said and either finding flaw or turning it against him.  Lets say that you are arguing against a deeply Catholic racist who wants you to kill an African American. Now, if this was Exalted, a dodge would be to say just to say "No," more or less. But a parry would be to bring up that catholic faith states "Thou Shalt Not Kill," so it's against his religion to do so. The difference: dodging protects you from being influenced, but parrying both protects you and attacks the opponent's belief. In otherwords, you get a counterattack when you parry.

By allowing automatic counterattacks when you parry, you can convince your enemy that his belief is flawed through arguement, making him turn to your side. You might be better at ignoring him, but by parrying you are trying to find fault in what he says, and turn it back on him so he sees it too and maybe is turned to your side which means it is much easier to ignore a conflicting belief then it is to fight it. So, the huge benefit granted by using willpower instead of an attribue with a 5 point limit is offset by the ability to immediately counterattack, perhaps with a bonus of how much their PDV is larger than the successes of the attacker.

As for the 2 willpower thing, it annoys me because both a 100 Success Attack and an Attack 1 success higher than an enemy's DV can both be resisted with the same effort. Added to the lack of mechanical effect other than you can't spend willpower once it reaches 0, then some way to limit spending Willpower to ignore amazing, airtight and logical arguements represented by huge rolls is needed to make trying a social attack worthwile.

Lets say you have a Character who refuses to believe in Spirits. Up walks a a Spirit and says "Hi, I'm a spirit and clearly I exist. Watch me pick up this rock and throw it at you, proving your belief is wrong." The Character can spend a Willpower and ignore the spirit's arguement. The Spirit tries again, perhaps throwing a few rocks and a stick. The charatcer spends another Willpower. So, now unless the Spirit tries a new approach or uses mind affecting charms, he will always fail to convince the guy that he is real.

The way it is now, it's literally having a perfect, automatic defence against mundane attacks after being wounded twice. So, one must try to find a way to limit access to this perfect defense for social attacks to be worthwhile. Perhaps if the net successes are larger than (Virtue+Integrity+Specialty+Essence)/2 they can't spend Willpower to ignore a successfull attack. Where the Virtue used is decided by the storyteller to fit the situation(Temperence if being bribed, for example). By taking Virtue and Integrity into account, a character's nature and stubbornesses define if he can push himself enough to ignore a how convincing an arguement can be before he can't will himself to disbelieve it. Which makes sense mechanically and makes the risk of a character being persuaded possible. This limit could also be applied when the 2 willpower points have been spent to automatically ignore a successfull attack.

Of course, social attacks that directly oppose a character's Motivation are always resisted, and Intimaces could allow Willpower to be spent regardless of the Threshold.

EccentricNed said:
Average Humans can ignore conflicting beliefs better than they can do just about anything else. So, what to do?
What to do?  How about accepting that social combat models how rooted most human beliefs are, and look at the Charms which provide unnatural mental persuasion if you want to break that?

EccentricNed said:
By allowing automatic counterattacks when you parry, you can convince your enemy that his belief is flawed through arguement, making him turn to your side.
Except that this fails the reality check.  Not every parry leads to a direct assault on your attacker's belief structure.  Many verbal ripostes simply indicate to the attacker that pushing his argument down a particular path will fail outright because the defender has decided not to budge on this issue - there's no guarantee that what you come back with is factual, or immediately provable, as long as the attacker can't get traction off it.  He may think you're full of bull, but he can't prove it right then and there.

EccentricNed said:
some way to limit spending Willpower to ignore amazing, airtight and logical arguements represented by huge rolls is needed to make trying a social attack worthwile.
How about some way to get around the 2-WP limit?  It has already been stated (several times) that the limit is against a single line of argument.  However, you can bring multiple arguments to bear against a given target in the scope of a single social encounter.

Besides, people ignore airtight, logical arguments every day in the real world.  You can lay out the greatest, most comprehensive expose of something or someone ever, and there will always be people who just plug their ears and go "la la la nice lady".

As to the rest, Virtues already provide some defense, but only if they WOULD - your Valor won't save you against an appeal to bravery and honor, for example.

EccentricNed said:
As for the 2 willpower thing, it annoys me because both a 100 Success Attack and an Attack 1 success higher than an enemy's DV can both be resisted with the same effort.
It wouldn't surprise me to see charms that use extra successes for something, particularly in the fair folk book. I'm working on a sidereal martial arts style that uses these in various ways.

wordman said:
EccentricNed said:
As for the 2 willpower thing, it annoys me because both a 100 Success Attack and an Attack 1 success higher than an enemy's DV can both be resisted with the same effort.
It wouldn't surprise me to see charms that use extra successes for something, particularly in the fair folk book. I'm working on a sidereal martial arts style that uses these in various ways.
Courtier-Shaming Pronouncement: The Lawgiver's overwhelming presence may not convince the hardiest of debaters, but his persuasive powers are such that those watching a refutation of the Solar's position will conclude that the speaker is a fool for not believing.

Whenever the Solar makes a successful social attack which is resisted by Willpower, the Solar may use his extra successes as a free reflexive social attack against anyone watching the debate, but who is not involved in it, to convince them that his adversary is being stubborn, obstructive, or simply foolish.  Resolve the social attack as normal.

The system was not written to see if you can convince joe-guardsman to give you entry into the manse you want to go in. It was written to make grand court debates and philosophical exchanges of letters possible. larger than life characters trying to persuade each other. for that the system works.

if you want to persuade joe guard. make a roll and be done with it. success, he does what you want, failure. not.

Safim said:
The system was not written to see if you can convince joe-guardsman to give you entry into the manse you want to go in. It was written to make grand court debates and philosophical exchanges of letters possible. larger than life characters trying to persuade each other. for that the system works.
if you want to persuade joe guard. make a roll and be done with it. success, he does what you want, failure. not.
The mechanics work fine for talking your way past a guard.  However, they should only be invoked if you want or need that level of detail.  And sometimes, doing so can be fun (example: the "enter the prison" scene in Titan: AE).

Maybe so, but the ST system has always worked around the premise the people who use it are *mature players* who take an interest in actually creating a good story. Therein lies its greatest strength.

another problem.

is when using social combat against large groups...

is that if I was to try conducting a social attack on the deliberative... especialy one using a charm, its certain they'd all defend differently.

another problem.

is that if I was to try conducting a social attack on the deliberative... especialy one using a charm, its certain they'd all defend differently.
In that case I'd just take the stats for the strongest defender and give him a bonus depending on the magnitude and overall badassness of the group he speaks for.

Each individual would respond differently to a social attack anyway.  I'm not really sure if it was meant to use as a form of "mass combat" [so to speak].  I'd go with Safim's suggestion, though, and pick a person at random to not be affected by the social attack if it fails, the whole group being unaffected if it botches...

another problem.

What happens when a PC throws DoOB at a group of named enemies, each with their own stats? You adjust their DVs according to what defenses they are likely to use. How different is that from social combat?

So there's a lot of numbers to crunch; you can always generate generic Deliberative members, and have only a few notables have special stats above and beyond the norm. If you were afraid of paperwork, you should be avoiding the role of ST like the plague.

And if you're the PC trying to sway the Deliberative, why is your ST being such a lazy bastard that he's whining about a situation he should have prepared for?

is that if I was to try conducting a social attack on the deliberative... especialy one using a charm' date=' its certain they'd all defend differently.[/quote']
Or, you could use the rules for social units in the core book.

As an example of charms that manipulate social rules that I mentioned earlier, I built a sidereal martial arts style that twists them around a bit. Several of the charms within it use the successes remaining after social defense to various effect.

Why don't you submit your Charms to Lore5? Is it because you don't love us?

-S

[falls off chair]

... I just had a vision of Still making bambi eyes at Wordman ... Not sure whether to laugh, or run for the hills...

Solfi said:
[falls off chair]
... I just had a vision of Still making bambi eyes at Wordman ... Not sure whether to laugh, or run for the hills...
Laugh, pretend to go along with it, back away, and REACH FOR THE GRAND DAIKLAIVE!!!!!

Stillborn said:
100020671s.jpg
Why don't you submit your Charms to Lore5? Is it because you don't love us?-S
Yes.

Actually, I want to incubate it on the wiki for a while, then move it here for mad votage once it is in better shape.

wordman said:
Stillborn said:
100020671s.jpg
Why don't you submit your Charms to Lore5? Is it because you don't love us?-S
Yes.

Actually, I want to incubate it on the wiki for a while, then move it here for mad votage once it is in better shape.
Oh my god! I am laughing hard right now :P

Bah.  He's just pimping for the other site, forcing folks to drive up the counter over there.  Bastiche...

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back