RRR: Exercise? Never!

D. Rex

Magic Eight Ball

proxy.php

Greetings everyone to my first installment of King Hink's Royal Rants and Ramblings! I am not the smartest, cleverest, or most experienced of my comrades here at RPN but I like to think that I have a talent for thinking nonetheless. Here, I shall nervously deliver to you my thoughts upon various subject matters that have or have not been addressed before. Why? Because I want to get you to think and I want to delve into matters and curiosities and look at them from different angles. I want to share with new roleplayers things that have helped me or things that I wish I had known back when I had first started. I want to offer views and suggestions and ramblings. I may not be much of a teacher, so I am hoping to learn as well.

This is the first of what I hope to be as many. This is also the first of such a thing I have put onto a forum, so please be merciful of your critique. You can slam my face into the rocks on my next one. I will get better as I go.

As for why the banner and name... Why not? I love me some theatricality. It's all in good fun.

Thank you @CloudyBlueDay for my banner <3 Good luck on Squire Corner!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

How many of you have made the resolution to exercise more this year? To hit the gym and real get yourself in shape? No way. Not me. I am perfectly happy relaxing during those rare times I am able to sit down at a computer for long periods of time. Luckily, fitness is not what I am here to lecture on today. I am here to propose a few exercises that are a bit more tailored to our interests. And don't worry, you can do all these from your comfy computer chair while you down yourself a nice cup of ice cold cola and procrastinate on doing any real work. Just like me.

Exercise! There I said it again, but let us talk the kind of exercise that I am suggesting. You are more than familiar with it, and you do it often, even without realizing. Creativity exercises. Much easier than sweating it out at the gym, and you get to flex that most important muscle required for roleplays.

Most of these are obvious, and perhaps even common practices to longtime players, but when I was starting out those many years ago, I wish I had someone around to tell me these few tricks of how I could make the most out of my games. Thankfully, every one of these is enjoyable, and by trying them you just might learn something new about roleplay and yourself by focusing one the main tool we have to play out our fantasies. Our characters. Just keep in mind that may vary, and I am not bashing anyone's ideals, instead I am offering things that have worked for me. Let's expand our mind, shall we? And be the best that we can be.

1. Play a character of a different gender. - Now for many of us, this is something we do often. When I started out gaming, I was guilty of only playing as males.... Well I was one, and didn't want to feel embarrassed by screwing up playing a female. A few years later I gave it a shot, well to be honest my character got turned into a female. It was not something I had planned, but I went with it, and it ended up being a very good transition into territory I had never really bothered to traverse into before.

My useless example aside, I have seen a number of people refuse to stray from certain genders. There is nothing at all wrong with this. And that is not what this exercise is attempting to change. Try it. Make a small part character, or an NPC. It will help you to become more comfortable with the other genders. Giving you an edge when it comes to playing whatever part you need to play. As a player, restricting yourself to certain avenues also restricts the fun that you will be able to have.

2. Have someone make a character for you, without any input from you, then play that character to the best of your abilities. Now this certainly sounds intimidating, after all, you didn't make that character so how are you supposed to know everything about it? Lol well your not. Doing this, will really help you learn how to adapt. Because you are basically jumping into the imagination of another player, a foreign realm! It may feel weird at first, and this is to be expected, but soon enough you will find that character will become your own. After all, this is a great way to see how characters truly grow. Growth and ownership isn't about the character sheet, that is just a summary. The interactions of that character determine everything, as does how you play that character. As you play, you will rub off onto the character and in time it may as well be as if it was yours from the beginning. Just don't forget to give credit to the person who made that awesome character for you.

3. Play a bad guy. Ooooh.... Yeah, here is a controversial one. Some GM's do not like you to be able to play a villain. Understandably so, but we will not be getting into that. This is a subject I will talk about in more length during another one of my rants.

Anyhow, playing a hero is all well and good, it is always fun to kick evil NPC butt. Though why does the story have to center on the good guys? The villains too have lives and trials. They too can progress and grow. They too have views and interactions with others of their kind in some sort of Henchman Anonymous meeting. Now when I am saying, play a bad guy, I am not meaning "The Big Boss", but instead a smaller part that will likely have you trying to counter the good guys at every turn that you are able. This is made even better when several people are playing bad guys with you. It can really make the world feel alive. More importantly will will give you better perspective of the confrontation that is really happening between the good and bad guys. Who doesn't like depth in a story?

This can also be intimidating, as sometimes players are worried that they don't have what it takes to be a bad guy. Or they might feel guilty when they are making a bad character do bad things. I understand how you feel. I truly do. You can learn some unsettling things about yourself, albeit valuable. Use what you learn here to make better and more believable heroes. Use what you learn from this exercise to take a step back and see the main feud in an entirely different light. And again, this is an exercise that will help you adapt and help you to fit into whatever role that you are called upon for.

4. Play a character that doesn't have your morals or personality. This can be a real challenge as people have a tendency to insert themselves into characters as if that character was them with super powers. Nothing wrong with this at all, I do it from time to time. But in RP you don't have to be you. And by playing roles that are not you, you get a crash course in what it is like to step into someone else's shoes. It can really push you to look at things from different angles and gain a new understanding of people in general. Helpful, no? An example of this is someone who normally plays overly kind character instead tries to play a grump. Or a hero type instead trying to play a backstabber. Or Mr. Serious to play a klutzy air head. Broaden your views, my friends! It will truly help. This exercise can also apply to people who generally play only one type of character. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Now I have only given four different exercises because I wanted to keep things simple and broad. And I also wanted to give my readers a chance to give some ideas of other exercises that players can do to expand their minds. What are some things that you all think are some good exercises to do to help expand the tools in our arsenal?

Good luck out there! And remember that the most important thing about our games is for us to have fun. That is what ultimately counts. So..... Have fun, everyone!

The Squire Corner!

Where being second IS best! :D

Oh, lord... Welcome to the Squire Corner! [insert trumpet] While King Hink bores you with his giant posts, The Squire Corner keeps it short and sweet, bringing those TL;DR's to your attention while also playing the role of the royal jester!! (No offense, Your Lordship..)

So, King talked about exercise. And as he mentions, heck, No one wants to exercise! It can be tedious, it can be boring. But guess what! This is roleplaying we're talking about! But sometimes it can even be hard to motivate yourself to try new things, no matter what yer doing. Don't worry! The Squire Corner provides motivation with pleasure.

Warning: May cause motivation

exercise-demotivational-pos.jpg
789d9eca2d0ed600af939c8c531e07b3.jpg
91bd3bbdc0524f57229248eb675932aa.jpg
6bb7e2000d5f0ddfade355398ed53a03.jpg
301288_435141606538850_489748386_n.jpg
tumblr_mm5ztz0ugo1ql8dcfo1_400.gif
1-10.jpg
exercise.png

Oh.. oh... oh dear, all I did was make fun of exercise..

YOUR LORDSHIP, I APOLOGIZE! I WILL CORRECT MY WRONG DOINGS!

Exercise%20comic%201.jpg

Wait, wait, I don't think I fixed it....

The Serious Squire Corner

Okay, okay. I'll stop with the joking around now. Let's get to the point.

Why should I do King's exercises?

-Would you like to broaden your roleplaying horizons, expand your knowledge, try new things, and get better? If the answer to these questions is yes, then there is your answer.

Why will these exercises help me on my roleplaying quest?

-There are bajillions of things that could help you to get better. The exercises listed here are a good way to begin, or continue, but not end! LEARNING SHALL NEVER END! These exercises will help you to try new things and by trying new things you're learning new things, and by learning new things you're getting better!

Why should I want to get better?

-Er. Honestly, if you don't want to get better, I guess that's okay. If you're happy where you are that's fine too, but wouldn't you like to know more about the thing that you're spending your time on? To perfect your craft?

How do I begin?! ALL THESE SOUND LIKE SO MUCH FUN I WANT TO DO THEM ALL AT ONCE AUWHDIUAHWDIUAHWD

-Hold your horses! This is not a thing to be rushed. Take your time, enjoy the ride, have fun with it. Don't push yourself.

Will you post more of these incredible things, Sir Squire and King Hink?

-If you want, we shall hold a whole gala for this event!

And to end this post, have a roleplaying meme. There are way too many of those.

roleplaying-2.jpg

I am very pleased. There shall be no table flipping because of you. Quite the lovely contrast you have created to my boring giant posts (>.>)

Hi!

Am I allowed to post here? Too bad. I'm going to do it anyways. Having roleplayed for over ten years, I feel like good ol' fashion scar face of roleplaying. I've always considered myself a "been there, done that" type of girl, but recently, I've been in sort of a writing rut. I feel like my writing used to develop so much in previous years, but I don't feel like I've done much growing recently. Therefore, I'm going to go through your "resolutions" and try some of them out!

Here we gooo~

1. Play a character of a different gender. - Skip. In my roleplays, my female characters and my male characters are dead even in number. I'm fairly comfortable with playing both genders and have actually found I prefer playing males to females, even though I am a female myself. (:

2. Have someone make a character for you, without any input from you, then play that character to the best of your abilities.- Hoo boy. This is something I've never really done. Oh, sure, I have played cannon characters in fandoms; however, I feel that is slightly different. That said, I'm almost exclusively a 1v1 roleplayer, so, I will need to find someone willing to write me a character to attempt. I definitely want to give this one a go if I can find a person willing to pull together a fairly developed character sheet for me to utilize. Any takers?

3. Play a bad guy. Ooooh....- Hm. I have played plenty of characters were "ethically unfettered." They were bad people, but had their redeeming qualities that made them not outright immoral. I definitely want to try and roleplay a truly wicked character. I think it would be super difficult for me, as I'm an (overall) decent human being. This is definitely going to be my next roleplay task! (:

4. Play a character that doesn't have your morals or personality.- This I do, more or less. I'm painfully quiet and shy, but enjoy roleplaying characters who are not law abiding, but generally loud and loquacious. I enjoy playing a range of character types and personalities because, otherwise, roleplaying gets boring for me. As mentioned above, I would definitely like to try and play an evil character and I would like to try and play a character who is just like me, as I've never done a character too closely related to my own personality type. I think it would be interesting and very self-explicative to play a character like-minded to myself. I've always been fascinated with the question: who am I and why do I do what I do? Perhaps, roleplaying a character similar to myself may help me but understand myself. (:

Thanks for the roleplay quests! I look forward to giving them a go and I hope to see some new ones in the future.

Post away! The point is to discuss it after all! :) I am glad that I have given you something to work with. And you have brought another very valid exercise that I have completely neglected. I had made the assumption that it is typical to play characters like yourself, but of course that isn't always the case. Yes, playing a character like yourself, if that isn't what you are used to doing, would be very good way to flex those brain muscles! Who are we and why do we do what we do is a very noble question to find the answer to. What what better ways to find that question than to really look at yourself from the outside, meaning from the prospective of playing yourself. Jolly good!

As for future quests? There will most certainly be more!

I feel I'm a bit of an odd-duck that way-- as I believe that many people do play versions of themselves. I use roleplaying as a way to displace myself from the grind of every day life. Now, I'm not saying I don't absolutely love my life and everyone in it, but roleplaying is a way for me to escape that sometimes, and if I played a character too much like myself, I feel like it roleplaying might begin to feel like a chore. I would love to give roleplaying "myself" a go though, even just once!

I understand the feeling all to well. And that is certainly a good topic to write about another day. I could probably go into some length on that.

Odd ducks is where it's at! But like I stated, RP is all about fun. Whatever exercises things I may suggest, what is fun for you should take upmost importance in whether you follow it. Roleplaying yourself can be tricky, and it runs the risk of blurring the lines between IC and OOC. A danger that I believe any player should avoid. But give it a shot! Putting pieces of yourself into a character, or modeling one after yourself are both ways to do it. Lol though you may be surprised as to how easily that they change when set into those environments. Though that character may not be you, it still carries the "what would I do in that situation" feel to it.

Yes, exactly. It's not an exercise I'd want to try in all of my roleplays, but I think it may be good for me to give it a go at least once. If nothing else, it'll really exercise my writing and thought process. Usually, I really have to think how my characters would react to a certain situation. I am excited to try and write more knee-jerk reactions for my "me" character and think less about the situation before I write it. Does that make sense?

If nothing else, it'll definitely be amusing.

Indeed! And it's helpfulness was touched upon by my Squire most eloquently.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me. I have been there before. :) It sounds like you have some fun times ahead of you.

As for nothing else? Bah! Amusement is everything! Else it wouldn't be a game ;)

So, I'm going to drop my opinion here real quick (written on a phone while walking, don't judge :P ). My favorite idea here isn't something you told us to try, but something you still encouraged. I think writing a cs for someone else would be a great exercise for everyone. Why? Because I see many roleplayers - both new and old - who writes CSs that don't quite explain the complete aspects for their character. Writing a cs for someone else who doesn't have an idea what kind of character you have in your mind forces you to be very descrptive with the personality and requires you to establish reason and character in their backstory. This sounds like a fantastic idea that I myself want to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back