Character Theory Roleplaying inanimate objects

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Have you ever tried roleplaying inanimate objects?

For example, a sword with its own consciousness. Or something like D's hand from Vampire Hunter D universe...
Something that you won't be able to write about "the character went somewhere and did something". It would be a character that would depend on the actions of other characters or special setting.

Or would you consider it too restrictive to roleplay such a character?

Maybe you have other ideas on how to play such a character than the ones I mentioned as examples. That would be interesting to know as well.

If someone tried to do that, I'm curious how it went!

I guess it could be interesting, but an inanimate object is the very essence of a passive character. They are literally incapable of making any action of their own and any story would have to be advanced by the other characters.

I was once in a group that played as crayons trying to escape a kindergarten classroom. They could talk and moved by rolling around, but it was just for fun, so we mostly hand-waved most issues of "How are they able to speak?" "Can they really smile or frown?" Etc.

But it was a really interesting and entertaining experience, though I think definitely one for a casual RP. I don't think you could do a lot of complex lore and character development with crayons.

I have, in fact, attempted to do such a roleplay before. In twin instances (three if you count repeated attempts), I have roleplayed inanimate objects. I am not counting inanimate objects like a suit of armor that can move on it's own or anything like that, as it wouldn't be cheating.

The first of those instances was a roleplay in which I played a haunted magical sword. In order to combat the problems posed by playing an inanimate object, I gave it the ability to communicate verbally and provoke some magical effects on the area around it. It was a 1x1 where the plot was about the sword being found and used to take revenge on a tyrant.

The other instance (or instances) where a BNHA fandom roleplay, where my character's quirk (their superpower for those that don't know the fandom) was to shapeshift into any item of clothing, however, the power didn't let them change back to a human form once it had been used, which they first triggered when their quirk manifested at age five. What I did for them was that, on top of them having the proactive motion of shifting into other types of clothing and being mildly able to drag themselves, they had a helping trained dog that would respond to small nudges and move around.

The biggest problem in playing this type of character is the obvious: they are dependent on other characters to do much, and other than dialog and thoughts, plus whatever power they grant if any, they don't contribute by themselves to the story. To "act" they are bound to need for the presence of other characters. Fortunately for us roleplayers, we'd want interaction anyway, but since we're stuck with only dialogue for this one, things can grow stale pretty quickly.

This creates the second biggest problem with any character that is more dependent on others, it may feel like more of a burden than a contribution. If you need help and to be taken care of in some way, this means you may present an obstacle in resolving the plot more than a help, and if your present demands attention and keeps taking too much spotlight, it will feel annoying for your fellow players.

So, if you want to try it, here are a few things I found helpful:

1. Never, ever do this if your character doesn't have the ability to communicate at least

2. Make sure there is an advantage to being with and/or using your character

3. Since your character is stuck actionless, it's more important than ever that their words really sell the character. Think long and hard about them.

4. Don't do it in a 1x1. Make sure there is a group so that you aren't being a burden to anyone, preventing them from moving freely or away from you themselves, make sure that there are more people who can come have a conversation with you when someone wants to leave.

5. Play some NPCs on the side so that you can add more to your post in terms of real action. NPCs that help you move are good, but try to keep them from being characters in their own right or it will feel like you're playing them not your actual character.

6. Important! DON'T CHEAT. If you're playing the object but they can walk on their own or take a human form or something, the whole point of playing an object is lost both for you and for your fellow players. If you play this type of character commit. By a similar token, don't neglet history or characterization of the character just because they are an object. Make sure their personality is particularly sharp and vibrant (puns not intended). Your average blood-forged sword might be a war-monguering machievelian schemer, while your typical human-turned-weapon might feels nauseous at the feeling of being used to pierce someone's guts (imagine diving into a pool of guts) and feel confusion and terror at their own inability to vomit.

7. This advise goes for any character relaly, but it goes triple for characters that have a higher degree of dependency, be it a child, animal, inanimate object or any other like that: Take interest in the work, characters and problems of others. Have your character's dialogue explore another character, allow them to show off the awesome things they made for that character, have your character be curious about the characters and world around them, contribute to their arcs etc... Showing interest like this makes you more appealing as a roleplay partner, which in turn will make players want to interact with you and thus give your character something to do since they can't do anything independently, but without having to force yourself onto people and feeling like a burden.

Honeslty, it's definitely a very fun character to play, but there aren't many opportunities to really do it well. In 1x1s, the gimmick gets old really fast and the roleplay will quickly get boring or the whole idea just kind of sidelined. In groups, it's hard to find a group that both takes place in a setting where such a character would work and the GM is willing to look past first impressions and take a chance with your character. It's even harder if you don't have someone at the ready to help introduce you to the group.

So if your character can't take the innitative, that just means you have to, more than ever.

I hope you found this useful or at leats enjoyed reading it. Best of luck and happy Rping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back