• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Red Peonies (ft. Sunny41)

Characters
Here

misschibidoodles

It’s not the rustling of the sheets when Tang Xia gets up that wakes him up, or the likely intentional hand on his naked ass as she vaults over him to leave the bed. It’s actually the feeling of peacefulness that creeps in as she is in the shower, away from him. Laying next to Tang Xia is a bit like sharing a bed with a panther: as long as it is sleeping you are probably out of danger, but no one really feels comfortable in this situation. Therefore, her leaving the bed makes Xiang Tao relax unconsciously, which in turns wakes him up because he should never be relaxed.

Xiang Tao stretches like a cat as he opens his eyes, and as soon as he notes his surroundings he immediately tenses back up. Right. Tang Xia. He went home with her yesterday. They had just finished a simple collection job (Tao hates collection jobs, he’s too bone skinny to be intimidating and he always has to throw a couple punches for people to take him seriously. He doesn’t like throwing punches.) and she propositioned (again. Because she likes it when he throws punches, because she’s a goddamned psychopath who thoroughly enjoys violence). « Propositioned » is a big word, considering she pushed him on the alley wall and shoved her tongue down his throat, but let’s not unpack that right now.

She’s definitely not his favourite lay in the Triad, but she did offer him dinner and he cannot say no to free food. He spends most of his allocation on his apartment, because he wanted something semi-livable and as far away from possible from the slums of the city, so he barely has a Yuan left for food at the end of the day. So what if he trades sex for a couple of meals? Sure he does not particularly feels proud of himself at the moment (but really, when does he?), but that will surely change once his belly is full.

If the downside of sleeping with Tang Xia is that she’s a crazy bitch, the upside is that she still has a family that cares about her. Let me explain : even though she thoroughly ignores her family and would love nothing more than for them to leave her alone, her mother still tries her very best to reach out. She does so in the way she knows best, which is to try to keep her daughter well fed and to deliver homemade meals to her on a regular basis. So sure, he feels like a slut. But there’s a lovingly made congee in the fridge that asks only to be heated up, so he can deal with that.

Tang Xia emerges from the bathroom as he thinks about the food, fully clothed and looking as disgusted as Tao feels at finding him in her bed. Surely, she would love it if he was the type to leave after the deed was done; but they both know that is not the implied deal they have.

Xiang Tao sits up in the bed, the sheets still providing him a little modesty.

« Goood morning Tang Xia~ I hope you had a great night of sleep! I couldn’t help but notice yesterday that you had such a well packed fridge! Your mum came by again? Man, I wish my mother took care of me like that. Of course, she doesn’t speak to me because dad would probably divorce her over it, but a guy can dream right? Anyway, how about you heat us something up for breakfast? You really tired me out yesterday after all, and -- »

She roughly grabs him by the chin, hard enough to leave bruises, and drags his head up so he looks straight into her eyes.

« Shut the fuck up Cockroach. Shit, thank god you’re such a pretty face. You’re so fucking annoying no one could stand you otherwise. »

Tang Xia shoves him back strongly enough that he falls back in the sheets, catching himself on his elbows, and turns around. Oof. No need to remind him that people hate his guts. He knows very well he’s neither particularly clever nor likeable. Don’t worry, he hates himself as much as the next guy. And he knows well enough that his best redeeming qualities are his sharp jaw, beautiful brown eyes and gorgeous smile.

He has half a mind to lay back down and maybe get some more sleep, but he catches the sound of the fridge opening and some pans being moved around. Ha! Maybe he is just eye-candy, but who is winning right now?

Xiang Tao pushes himself up and grabs his bag, by the bed. He always has his essentials in there, in case of impromptu one night stands. Really he’s almost grateful they nicknamed him Cockroach because otherwise they might have come up with The Triad’s Whore, and he’s not sure he could have taken that one as gracefully.

He cleans up and dresses quickly, and is startled by his phone vibrating.

Zou Chao (6:54): Sun’s Road. 10:30. With Tang Xia.

Ah, a new job already. And Zou Chao is counting on him to bring Tang Xia, probably more because he does not want to deal with her than because he knows they are together at the moment.

He’ll tell her after breakfast.

----

They arrive on Sun’s Road a little before their meeting time, because old habits die hard and Xiang Tao has been reminded his whole education that arriving early is the only acceptable option when meeting someone. It comes in somehow helpful, he supposes, since being respectful lowers the potential of beatings he gets in a Triad.

Zou Chao is waiting for them, and makes a face as he sees them arriving together. Or maybe it’s at the bruises and bite marks covering Tao’s neck and clavicle, revealed by his slightly oversized black t-shirt (try finding something your size when you are already genetically thin but also always on the brink of malnutrition). Surely, he has an idea what went on the previous night.

« Ha! Zou Chao says, didn’t know you fancied bugs, Xia. The cockroach, really? »

They immediately start arguing as she threatens to shatter his kneecaps and Tao can only find it in himself to roll his eyes and look away. It’s not like he never slept with Zou Chao.

The street is heavily packed with people, even this early in the day. The shops are opened since dawn and equally interested tourists and locals and buzzing around like flies, coming in and out of buildings, haggling at outdoors street-food shops and making small talk with owners they know. There’s a bao stall that, even though Tao had a proper breakfast for a change that day, makes his mouth water. The thought of biting in the soft dough, the warm, fatty taste of spicy pork that would burst on his tongue. Too bad he literally does not have a dime.

Not completely done with fighting, but ready to talk business, Zou Chao snaps his fingers in front of Tao’s face to catch his attention.

« Listen here, cockroach! The boss asked us for a very simple job. There’s a shop on this street he wants an item from. Any item, he says, it’s just a preliminary job, he wants to know if he’s got the right place. So we go in, grab something without getting caught and get out. That’s all. It’s important we are unnoticed since we’ll have to go back in the future. Do you think it’s something you can do without fucking up? »

In all honesty, Tao feels Zou Chao is being unfair. He might not be anything special but he is generally competent, even if clumsy. He only botched one job since joining the Triad, but it was his first one and shit like that tends to stick. He honestly should have died but somehow managed to escape the gang fight he more or less accidentally started, hence gaining his hated Cockroach nickname. Unkillabled they said. Well, so far it’s been true.

He merely nods his head (best to avoid defending himself as much as possible) and they make their way to the shop. It’s a fairly hidden door to the building, pretty unnoticeable if you don’t know where you are going. There’s a window, but it is completely blocked by items from inside the store. On the door, the message « Magic Items for Sale ».

« What a bunch of bullshit Tang Xia says, who would even believe that? »
« Old superstitious people, probably » says Xiang Tao
« Maybe they sell really famous artifacts, don’t you think? We could find the Banner of Six Souls maybe »
« How useful that would be! We could bring it back to the boss, they write the name of the heads of other triads on it and, bam! We are rid of them. If we see it, it’s what we’re snatching »

They keep listing famous legendary artifacts and laughing at the ridiculousness of it all while they enter. The group is greeted by a packed shop. Not packed with people, that is (for all they know, it’s practically empty), but there doesn’t seem to be an inch of free space. Tables are covered with fancy looking objects : teapots, vases and pots, some jewellery, etc. There’s cabinets all around that crowd the shop into some sort of maze.

The team soon finds themselves dividing to look around. They discussed previously having a tour of the shop before regrouping to decide on what to steal. Xiang Tao is almost immediately drawn to a full looking bookcase, filled with scrolls and old books. Sure, he doesn’t believe there is actually anything magical about that place, but to him, books have a magic of their own.

After all, he’s got a degree in language and literature. He wouldn’t have pursued that (and would have gone into politics as his father intended, following the family tradition) if he didn’t think words had power and magic. He loves reading. His tiny apartment is filled with novels and essays and, most importantly, poetry books. There is something about poems that stirs his soul. It seems like reading poetry is the easiest way to connect with another human. That’s not something that’s easy for Xiang Tao on the daily (everyone finds him annoying, after all), but when he reads a poem he can feel his heart soaring about the skies, reaching for a long-dead author somehow forever frozen in time.

He looks through a few books and looses track of time a little. He stops at a page that speaks to him more than others :

I'm saddened by the peonies before the steps, so red,
As evening came I found that only two remained.
Once morning's winds have blown, they surely won't survive,
At night I gaze by lamplight, to cherish the fading red.

He feels it all : the sadness, the regret, the longing. The dread of looking at something beautiful that still exists, but you know will only for a moment. His fingers caress the page on their own mind, as if touching the words can somehow adsorb them into him. His eyes are closed for a moment, sitting in the melancholy of what is not yet dying, but is doomed to be.

« It’s not my fault you’re such a fucking dumbass! Just do as I say, I’ve got more seniority than you anyways! »

That’s Zou Chao, undoubtedly talking to Tang Xia. Figures: you leave them alone for a minute and they are already fighting. Classic. Tao has half a mind to pocket the small book he’s holding, but stealing that particular object feels like stealing someone’s soul, and he can’t bring himself to do it. Maybe he’ll ask the shop owner for the price and will scrounge up the necessary funds to get the book in a couple of days. After he gets paid for the job, for example.

He makes his way to his colleagues, who are arguing over an exquisite looking teapot, covered in intricate gold patterns depicting folklore creatures. It’s a beautiful piece. It’s also fairly small and could be easily stored in Tang Xia’s bag, which is what she’s arguing about. Zou Chao wants to keep looking. At least they’ve switched to hushed tones, Tao thinks. It doesn’t seem very smart to fight loudly about which object to steal, in a store where you are supposed to go unnoticed.

Tang Xia is about to grab the teapot, and Zou Chao grabs her wrist to stop her. Bad idea. Tao could have told him that. She turns to him, furious, disengages her arm and promptly punches Zou Chao straight in the nose.

« Get your fucking hands off me you fucking bastard! »

Now, what she did not consider is that the punch would make Zou Chao take a step back and try to balance himself on the table behind him. He does so with quite a bit of momentum, and the beautiful ornate vase sitting on the table looses balance and falls to the floor in a sharp sound and shattered pieces.

« Ah. Shit » Xiang Tao mutters for himself.

He bends down to asses the damage, and in the few seconds he brushes the broken pieces of the vase, he misses the wide eyed stare Tang Xia and Zou Chao share. Really, it’s impressive how two people can have a silent conversation in so little time. Xiang Tao barely has the time to get back up that his two colleagues have bolted. He hears the chime of the front door ring, indicating that they are definitely out there. Well. They left him there with, from what he can hear, an incoming very angry shop owner, and not a single Yuan in his pocket.

Shit.

[OOC : Alternate title : kiss kiss fall in love. Hope you get the joke, otherwise I still love you it’s fine lol.
Also! A bit of trivia cause I’m a nerd (lol). I did a little digging in Chinese poets to find a verse to use in here (as I suspect I will probably do in some future posts as well). The poem I chose is called Regret for Peony Flowers and is by Bai Juyi, a poet who lived during the Tang dynasty (around 800) and got himself exiled for criticizing the government. In the RP, I imagine the author is someone from the magical world, but his writing motivations might be similar. Also wooop I got carried away in the length here ooop hahaha]

Last edited:
<<Another day alone in paradise...>> A shop owner mumbled. Jiayi Jin, also known as JJ, was busy cleaning away. Since the passing of her beloved grandma, JJ had been the one to inherit the shop. Sure there was never an influx of customers in the shop. Sure this job didn't bring in an abundant of wealth...but that didn't matter. She made a promise to grandmother on her deathbed and she intended to keep it. Besides, grandma's will was more than enough to keep her financially stable for years to come. During times like this, JJ couldn't help but remember the conversation that changed it all.

~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<<Grandma, why do you keep this shop open? Isn't it boring being stuck all day in this stuffy place>>
A young Jiayi asked her grandma Chu Jin.

Grandma Chu placed the feather duster down on the empty stool. She smiled softly at her granddaughter and picked the young girl up.

<<This shop was where I met a dear friend of mine. Although we may not have many customers, this place is home to precious memories. It's where I raised your mother and...where I am to raise you.>>

<<So mama also had memories in this place?>>

<<She did. One day when you grow older, I will teach you the magic of this shop. And when you are ready, you will work alongside me.>>

<<Than I will make mama and papa in heaven and grandma proud! Jiayi will protect the place grandma loves!>>
Jiayi shouted pridefully. A tiny fist on her chest and brown eyes shining telling of her vow.

<<My, Jiayi is a very kind girl. Grandma is lucky to have such a helpful granddaughter. Now let me finish cleaning up and then we can go to the park.>>

~~~~~~~~~~End of Flashback~~~~~~

TING TING!

<<Hello hello! I've come here to rescue the fair princess!>>

<<Hm? Mei, go home and study. You have a test coming up>>
The shop owner continued dusting the bookshelf in the corner.

<<Gah! You're sounding just like mother. Is she telling you my schedule??>>

<<Of course. She's worried about your performance at school after all.>>

<<Hmph. I guess so...but I just wish she wouldn't breathe down my neck. Anyways, lets get out of this place. I have two movie tickets with our names on them so you can't say no!>>

Jiayi rolled her eyes and sighed. Regardless, she hurrily stored away the cleaning supplies and hanged up her apron. The shop owner knew better to argue with Mei Zhang. It was like trying to move a boulder with a stick. Once she gave the interior a quick check, the 24 year old turned off the lights and locked up shop. The two ladies locked arm-in-arm, their destination fresh on their minds.

----------------

<<Bye JJ! Call me when you get home! >>

Jiayi Jin waved goodbye to Mei. Being used to her friend's antics, Jiayi playfully rolled her eyes as the other woman stuck her tongue out. The pair of them had been best friends since as long as she could remember. Their first meeting wasn't anything special nor extravagant. If JJ recalled correctly...her and Mei were seated next to each other in elementary school. Being the more introverted one, JJ had refused to speak to anyone else in the class. It wasn't until Mei had invited her to play on the slides together that the two became friends.

<<Coming aboard Miss?>>

<<Yes>>

The smell of sweat and broken dreams filled the bus. The rising costs of rent meant that many had to scrape by relying on public transportation. Although it was annoying having to share elbow space with strangers, it was better than the alternative. Walking alone at night meant two things: invating misfortune of some sort or worse, and in rare cases,...an encounter with the Triad.

Jiayi had little time to dewell on such thoughts. From the street she was on she could see...people rushing?? The direction was...from her shop...

<<Wait!!>>

In a blink of an eye, it seemed the robbers had disappeared. The 24 year old rushed to her humble shop. Cursing under her breath for being too careless. The woman fumbled with the keys before placing it into the lock and opening the door. She turned on the lights and scanned the room. Hazel eyes landing on the sole remaining intruder and the broken teapot. Carefully, Jiayi pulled out the mop by the grandfather clock and pointed the end of the handle at the man's throat. Dissatisfied with the 'weapon,' Jiayi yanked on the man's right ear with such force. Like a furious mother scolding her son for breaking curfew. One could swear her became red with rage.

<<How dare you come break into MY shop! Explain yourself or I'll make sure you regret this!>>

Truth be told, Jiayi was terrified of what the intruder is capable of. Here she was, 4ft9in and with no combat experience. The most she could likely do was kick him...down there but even then a victory wasn't guaranteed. What scared her more than being attacked...was the thought of losing grandma's beloved shop.

Xiang Tao curses under his breath as he takes in the sound of angry footsteps, and he barely has time to take a step forwards (careful, don’t step on the pieces of the broken teapot!) before he comes face-to-face with a very angry, very tiny lady. The woman in front of him is almost two heads shorter than him, and from where he stands, it’s not all that intimidating.

However, what she lacks in vertical length, she makes up in sheer enthusiasm. And look, Tao has been trained in martial arts (his parents had him take kung fu classes like all the other rich kids) and could theoretically very easily get out of her reach and neutralize her. He’s competent, we’ve been over this already. His hot, hot body is probably the only good thing he’s got going for him, and said body knows how to kick someones ass.

But he’s in the wrong here! She’s just a shop owner trying to make ends meet by selling obviously not magical artifacts to naive idiots, and he was technically there to steal from her! And there’s the poetry book, also. Surely she won’t save it for the day he has enough to buy it if he throws her on the ground. Also, she could hurt herself: there’s broken ceramic there.

Before he can say anything though, she grabs at his earlobe and yanks down so harshly he feels himself hiss.

“How dare you come break into MY shop! Explain yourself or I'll make sure you regret this!”

Break in? Did Zou Chao pick the lock? Tao was under the impression that the shop was open, and the owner was in before they got in. Then again, Zou Chao had been casing the place for a while, so maybe he knew when the owner was going to be out and decided they should just break in then. And conveniently forgot to tell his colleagues about the added danger. The asshole.

This does give for a good opportunity to distance himself from the other two, however.

“Ouuuch! No, wait, please, wait! I didn’t break into anything! The shop was open when I came in, and those two people were inside arguing. I swear.”

He looks at the bookshelf he was at before Zou Chao and Tang Xia started fighting.

“I was reading some poetry, over there. Very good book by the way~ But em, yes, I went and took a look at the books, the other people here were fighting and I heard something break. I just came over to see what it was! I know, I know, that’s nosy and I should have left it alone, but I’m a curious person and I really could not help it! I think they probably assumed I worked here, because they bolted as soon as they saw me, and, well I wasn’t sure what to do with the broken teapot and here we are now! Can you please let go of my ear, it’s starting to hurt a little...”

He gives her his best, charming, sheepish smile and hopes she will believe his (not completely) false story.

[OOC: my computer apparently likes switching between French and English quotation marks, so we’ll just live with its every whim and I apologize in advance if the quotation mark type changes between posts.]

Last edited:
Jiayi had met various people throughout different walks of life. Some who wear their heart on their sleeve, blabbering about every little thing. Others who kept their hearts closed and spoke of nothing. The man before her...was definitely the first type. Likely the biggest blabbering idiot she's ever met. The woman listened to the man try to dedend himself and his actions. The shop was open?? Did this fool thing he could lie his way out of this? The second thing Jiayi made sure to do after turning off the lights was switching the open sign to closed the moment she headed out with Mei. The more the stranger spoke, the more she felt like punching the man. This idiot was pissing her off more and more.

<<Oh sure. I'll let you go and then we can go have a relaxing teatime with my mystical pet unicorn Fang.>> The shop owner smiled sweetly but the tone of her voice spit venom. The scowl on her face returned with such intensity. Dissatisfied with the answer given, the lady yanks on the man's earlobe with more force than before.

<<Who the fuck do you think you're fooling! You think I'm an idiot!? I'll show you to lie to me!>>

Jiayi stretched the stranger's earlobe as far as humanly possible.

<<Now I'm going to ask you again and you're going to tell me the truth. Explain to me why you're in my shop and why you laid your hands on my stuff.>>

From where she was standing, Jiayi could make out the physical condition of the intruder. Her eyes stared in shock at the skin barely hidden by the oversized shirt. Bruises?? Bite marks??? Obvious signs of possible malnutrition?? It was in that moment that puzzle pieces clicked in her mind.

<<...So basically... you're a male prostitute who got tired of that life and now turned to crime to make ends meet>>

Jiayi lessened her grip on the man's ear. It wasn't a far-fetched idea. Just because times have changed and laws are in place doesn't mean prostitution was eradicated. Humans are creatures who resort to drastic measures just to make ends meet. That's why idiots are easy to recruit in organizations such as cults, gangs, and more. The promise of a better life was the perfect bait for those who had nothing else to turn to. Although she was still pretty pissed off by this idiot...could she really turn away someone who was in obvious need of help?

<<Alright. Here's the deal kid. I'll let go of the fact that you broke in and robbed from my story under one condition: you work for me under full supervision until you pay off the debt you owe me for the teapot. You'll be helping me clean this shop and maininting it during working hours. Basic human necessities like a break and lunch during each shift will be guaranteed. Should you refuse, I'll make sure the authorities are involved and will press charges. The choice is yours.>>

Hazel eyes stared up at the stranger, waiting for an answer. In case the man refused, Jiayi had her phone in front left pocket ready to use. She hoped she wasn't making a dumb decision. It would be annoying having someone else work in grandma's shop...but she also wasn't the type of person to let someone go without teaching a valuable lesson.

[OOC: No worries! I had assumed we were using different quotation marks so I just followed your lead XD. Thank you for letting me know. I don't mind the change in quotation marks. ]

Of course she does not believe him. Ugh. Fair enough, Xiang Tao supposes. The lady seems like a responsible shop owner, she probably makes sure to lock up her shop tightly before going anywhere away from it. Damn Zou Chao for not telling him about breaking in! Well, not that it would have made any difference. They would have still entered the shop to look around, and Zou Chao and Tang Xia would have still fought and screwed things up for Xiang Tao to fix.

But still, at least he could have prepared himself for the shitstorm he’d be caught up in!

The woman answers him like she wants to taste blood, and pulls at his ear once more with enough force that he has to bent down. From where he is, he can see the shattered pieces of the teapot and feels a strange companionship with them. Surely, a bit more time with the owner and he’ll end up in pieces as well. He decides to shut his mouth for a moment (truly a miracle!), because he’s really not sure what he can say now.

He obviously can’t tell the truth, which is that he works with the Triad. Or rather, he probably could and that would intimidate her enough that he’ll be able to get away, but that would fuck up any potential future job, anger the boss, and probably get him beaten to an inch of his life. So, not a possibility. He can pretend he and his colleagues were just some petty criminals, attempting something just because they could, maybe. But that leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

He’ll probably just have to make a run for it. He won’t be able to participate in any future job, but is going to be the only person compromised, and will probably get out of it with his ear still intact. He’ll have to shove the lady out of the way, but he’ll do it gently so she doesn’t hurt herself. He’s not a monster, after all.

Just as he’s about to get her off him, something shifts. She takes one good look at him and her angry stares changes to one of mainly pity. Now, it’s not like Xiang Tao is unused to people looking at him with pity, but usually it’s also charged with a certain amount of disgust. This girl looks genuinely sorry for him, conflicted with herself, and almost kind. It makes his skin crawls, because he really does not deserve that.

“...So basically... you're a male prostitute who got tired of that life and now turned to crime to make ends meet”

He has to control himself very hard to avoid choking on air at that, because how can that be the conclusion she comes to?! Alright, he guesses Tang Xiam has made enough of a number on him that he probably looks like he could be a prostitute. Add to that the fact that he’s seemingly starved (which in turn, makes him bruise so much more easily), and maybe it’s not too far fetched of an idea. Plus, technically, he did turn to crime to make ends meet. And well, depending on who you ask, there’s a lot of people who wouldn’t have any qualms at calling him a whore.

Alright, he can roll with that, he supposes.

As he’s about to confirm her doubts and whip out some long apology in hopes that she lets him go, the show owner surprises him once again. She offers him a job? He blinks harshly as if to reset his mind. That’s her version of punishment? He just has to do some cleaning and organizing in this place (with the books! The books are here! He’d be able to read through them without buying if he’s lucky!) and he’s off the hook? And there’s lunch included! Maybe the universe is apologizing to him for the stunt Zou Chao played on him! His luck is finally turning!

She warns him sternly that should he refuse, she would be calling the authorities. Xiang Tao was going to accept anyway, but that sends a shiver down his spine. Ugh, no thanks. The police and the holding and the community service he can deal with, but when he gets arrested people always freak their shit because he’s the heir to the Xiang family. They run up his name and the first (and only) contact is his father, which leads to “oh my god your are the son of state councillor Xiang Li”, which leads to Xiang Tao begging “please do not contact my father, this will only end up awkward for all of us”. His dad bails him out, probably, brings him home, and gives him a good beating and stern speech about how he is bringing shame on all the family, and Tao then tries to be a good son for about a week until he can’t do it anymore and gets thrown right back out.

So, he’ll take the job with the free food and poetry access, thank you.

“No you’re -ah. You saw right through me, I guess. Please don’t call the police. I’ll do whatever you want I swear. I’ll take the job! I’ll work for you for the rest of my life if I have to, I swear! Just don’t call the cops.”

He takes a deep breath as she lets go of his ear slightly, enough for him to get away from her devil’s grip.

“Out of pure curiosity... how much is the teapot worth?”

During their whole conversation, JJ had turned on the recording app on her phone with her free hand. She was no idiot. If she couldn't get the upper hand in terms of strength, she would find other ways to do so. There was no reason why the stranger would keep his word nor use this chance to threaten her. He looked like an idiot but who knows. Perhaps his looks were a method for deceiving his would be victims.

Jiayi raised an eyebrow when she saw the emotions showing on the stranger's face. For a 'criminal,' he sure was terrible at this line of work. He probably didn't even realize that himself. Little did the shop owner know, what she assumed about his character was mostly wrong. She nods her head in approval when the man agreed to her proposition. It certainly made her night easier. She wasn't in the mood to interact with officer Wei Chen after...that.

<<Good. Glad to see we are in agreement about this arrangement. Should you try anything funny and break our contract, I won't hesitate to alert the authorities. I don't enjoy dealing with nonsense i can assure you that much.>> Jiayi said with a sickly, sweet smile. The tiny lady momentarily let go of Xiang Tao to fetch a broom and dustpan. She shoved the cleaning supplies into his free hands and crossed her arms over her chest. The scowl on her face appearing once more.

<<Now, get to work. Clean up the shards of the teapot and discard them in the trashcan in the corner. Your employment starts tonight.>>

Jiayi took her seat at the front counter. She pulled out a mug of what appeared to be oolong tea and sighed. Great, the tea she made before Mei had come by was now cold.

<<Thanks a lot Mei>> Jiayi mumbled her breathe. The shop owner gulped the bitter, cold liquid down in one sip. Her face morphed into one of disgust. Well, grandma dod say wasting tea was the greatest crime anyone could committ.

<<Well, considering the craftsman who made the teapot and the time he put into that masterpiece...the total value for the teapot is 65,602.80 yuan.>> Jiayi put a finger to her chin as she calculated and factored in the cost of labor. She felt guilty that lao shi Bai Fei's latest creation was now in shambles. The man had entrusted to her one of his greatest works of art and here...it was scattered all over the floor. She laid her head down on the desk and sighed. How could she face the elder like this?? Surely if she goes visit him again he will ask about the teapot. Just the thought of the elder master in distress was enough to make her regret placing the teapot front and center in her store. However, the proverb grandma instilled in JJ gave her courage.

It takes three years to learn to be a man of integrity; it only takes three days to degrade

Yes! She will work up the courage to talk to the craftsman and sincerely apologize for her mistake. It will likely take some time for him to agree to craft another teapot and at least he will respect her honesty. After all, she had built a reputation with the locals below. They could attest to her character.

<<Oi kid, do you have a home or are you homeless?>> Jiayi asked bluntly. As much as she would hate to have some stranger roaming in home...it would be easier to keep in check if she knew his whereabouts.

The readiness with which Xiang Tao accepts her proposal seems to please the young woman, even if it does not quiet her distrust of him. Fair enough, he thinks. It’s not like he is particularly trustworthy at the moment, but he figures that, for once in his life, he does not have any bad intentions, so eventually she will notice that.

She’s still smiling like she wants to gut him, however, and threatening him. He’s used to it, he can deal with that kind of attitude. She eventually lets him go to gather a broom and dustpan, which she promptly shoves in his hands. She orders him to get started cleaning up with an authority he remembers only from his military service. And he’s a Triad member (sure, he never deals with the boss directly so it’s not like he really knows the scary leaders, but still).

At her tone of voice, he immediately straightens his posture and salutes, as he would have in the army.

“Yes sir!” he says, only half joking.

He gets right down to business at gathering the pieces of the shattered teapot. He starts by picking up the biggest shards in his hands, and then uses the broom for the smaller pieces. He bags the whole thing up. In the meantime, she tells him the price of the teapot, and he cringes. Oof, that’s a lot of money.

“Would you mind it terribly if I kept the pieces? I’d like to try putting it back together. Um, not to try and get out of the deal! I know you wouldn’t be able to sell it anyway, but I figure if I am paying for it, maybe I repair it and keep it as decoration you know? Like a memento of this beautiful moment that brought us together~”

On one hand, he is not lying. He’s pretty artistic himself, so he should be able to fix the teapot in a okayish way, no? He saw people do it on youtube! Wouldn’t it be a great way to show respect to the artist to not throw his creation in the trash but try to restore it instead? Xiang Tao is sentimental, after all. On the other hand, he is absolutely certain that Zou Chao and Tang Xia will throw him under the bus and claim the job’s failure was his fault, so maybe a broken object is better than no object at all.

“Oi kid, do you have a home or are you homeless?” the lady’s voice take him out of his thoughts.

Well. Technically he has an apartment for the moment. But with working for her, he won’t be available to do jobs for the Triad, which means no money, which means no apartment come next rent. She won’t be paying him since he is the one paying off a debt, so unless he gets real creative, there’s really no chance of him being able to keep this place.

“Ah- well. I have an apartment for the moment but um, working here, I suppose I won’t be able to use my, um, usual ways to pay for rent. So I probably don’t have it for long”

Now his usual ways are criminal activities, not the prostitution thing, but the lady does not need to know that. He also does not raise the fact that she keeps calling him kid even though she does not look older than him. He’s used to people belittling him like that, it rolls off his skin.

“Also, I’m Xiang Tao, by the way”

<<Aren't you quite the jokester. Enough chit chat, the teapot won't clean itself.>> Jiayi ordered almost immediately. Honestly, was this man always this insufferable? He reminded her of that parrot Mei's parents used to have. Now what was the name of that bird again...Chong? No...that wasn't it. Chao? That still didn't seem right... It was just on the tip of her tongue. Cha...cha...

<<Chatterbox>> Jiayi whispered confidently to herself. That was the winged pest's name! How could she forgot? With the number of times that damn bird wouldn't shut up nor stop hanging in her shoulder, you would think she would remember its name. The man before was just as talkative as that bird. Hopefully won't be as clingy...

Jiayi raised an eyebrow when the man asked for the shards. Why would the man want to keep the pieces? The teapot had zero net worth now where it laid. Fixing an object of this quality was troublesome so that option was out. Did he intended to use the pieces for some personal project? Normally she wouldn't be against the idea of reusing non-merchandise...except for this time. Anything made by lao shi Bai Fei's 'God hands was a treasure. In his world, Bai Fei was known for creating one of a kind masterpieces. No two vessels every looked the same. Thus, to receive one of his creations was the highest honor bestowed on a person. If she wanted to continue business with him...earning his trust back would be her long term goal.

<<Absolutely not. I need the pieces as proof of the incident. The craftsman won't do business with me anymore if I don't prove myself trustworthy. Besides, why would you need the shards?>>

Jiayi listened patiently to the stranger's answer. So his financial situation was that bad...typical. He wouldn't have been in that line of work if he didn't need desperately money. Decisions decisions...

<<I see...I absolutely refuse to forgive your debt and let you off the hook that easily. However, you being homeless wouldn't be ideal either. How much does your landlord charge you monthly and how much do you currently have in your possession?>>

Jiayi took out a calculator, paper, and pen. She planned to do all the calculations to see how much she would have to pay the man. If it came down to it...she would provide temporaey housing for him until his debt was paid off. Considering what was at stake...Jiayi would prefer not allowing strangers to stay here. The existence of the alternative universe is a well guarded secret. She was the only person alive who knew. The other three who knew...were long buried.

<<I suppose I can't call you boy forever. Alright Xiang Tao, my name is Jiayi Jin. I would say that it's nice to meet you but unfortunately that's far from the case.>>

Jiayi spoke in a hostile tone. The shop owner obviously had no intention of letting this incident go anytime soon. Mei and a few other individuals could attest to her stubborn nature.

It is fairly clear to Xiang Tao that the shop owner is not his biggest fan. It makes sense considering the context of their meeting, but still, if he has to work for her and she keeps giving him the stink eye, life’s going to be long. He can tell she’s not happy with the fact that he’s chattering, but unfortunately, she’ll have to get used to it. Almost everyone in Tao’s life has tried has tried and failed to get him to shut up.

He’s just unable to not speak most of what goes through his mind. He has also tried to get himself to shut up! He can tell when people want him to be quiet and the stopping bell rings and rings in his brain but he cannot stop his mouth. He feels uneasy in the silence and likes to keep an adequate amount of noise going constantly. So if he’s not signing, he’s going the be humming or whistling.

The shop owner looks at him with suspicion when he tries to keep the pieces. Oh-Oh. He has said something wrong again. Alright he did have a tiny little bit of bad intentions about that one, but it was mostly out of good faith! He really does want to restore the piece!

“Oh well, um, sorry to have asked! I wanted to try restoring it, or like, repairing the pieces together and stuff? With kintsugi, it’s ah- a Japanese technique for restoring pottery? You glue the pieces back together on many layers and then coat it with paint and then gold dust. Okay so I definitely can’t afford gold dust but I could do just the lacquer, or maybe silver. Silver isn’t thaaat expensive. Anyway, I fixed a vase like that one time, and it ended up pretty nice if I do say so myself.”

It was a precious artwork vase dating for who knows what dynasty, in his father’s office, that he broke on accident during one of his father’s various scoldings. His dad was absolutely furious. Tao must have been maybe 18 at the time? He picked up the pieces and used Youtube and his generous allowance (from which he is now, unfortunately, cut off) and fixed the pottery right back up. His dad was neither impressed nor pleased with him, but his mother had said that it was beautiful. Tao doesn’t know if she had kept it after his father throwedn him out, or if it was too painful of a memory.

Alas, it seems like this poor teapot will not be put back together. He walks back towards Jiayi Jin and raises the bagged pieces.

“But hey, if you have something to do with them, too bad! If the author tells you to throw them away once you show them to them though, can I ask you to at least think about letting me restore it? I’ll even do it here during my lunch breaks if you don’t want me walking away with the teapot, even broken. Ah! I’m being annoying again, sorry.”

The owner then asks him how much his rent is and how much Yuans he still has to his name. Well, that’s not a lot.

“Um. I pay around 2200 Yuans per month, I maybe have 500 at the moment? It’s early in the month so at least there’s that but the people I came here with were supposed to pay me afterwards and well, I don’t think that’s happening anymore. But I’m sure I can figure something out!”

Maybe go beg mum to slide him a little money under the table while his father is not looking. Even if she’s also disappointed in him, she’s always nice to him. She still cares about him but cannot stand to have him close because of how he makes her husband feel. She always cry when she sees Xiang Tao.

The shop owner finally introduces herself as Jiayi Jin and tells him it’s been a true displeasure to meet him. Well, at least she maybe will stop calling him kid now. Maybe.

“Yeah don’t worry I have that effect on most people... Anyway, what now boss? Where do you want the shards?”

Because for all of his flaws, Xang Tao is not lazy and if he’s given a job to do, he will do it.

Jiayi stared at Xiang Tao for what seemed like eternity. This man was...strange. Asking for the sharers when he just told her about the teapot being worthless. Even him explaining the desire to put it back together during his lunch break was odd. Maybe he was just easy to order around? He seemed more like a spineless coward just from looks alone.

"Hm. As I said, I will need the sharers to show the craftsman that his latest creation was destroyed. I doubt he will want to give the shards back after being informed of what occured but if some reason he decides to give them back to me, you can have them I guess."

Jiayi put pen to paper and started calculating the man's expenses. So his rent is 2200 Yuan and he only had 500 Yuan currently while his debt was 65,602.80 Yuan ...she imagined this was solely his rent expenses excluding basic necessities such as food among other things... What a pain. She wondered if it was really worth keeping the stranger here.

Patience Jiayi. This was only a temporary arrangement. Once he paid off the debt, they could both go separate ways and never have to interact again...unless he tried going back to crime. Then in that case, she'd scold him again and make sure he cleans up his act. Being so engrossed in doing calculations that she failed to hear that part about Xiang Tao coming together with the other intruders.

"Seeing as you in such a predicament, I'll tell you what. Your total monthly salary will be 11644.59 Yuan. You will be expect to pay me 6754.59 Yuan per month for about give or take 10 months. This should be enough to ensure you have a place to stay and food to eat. We will just have to stretch your employment longer. Should there be any changes to what you're charged with rent or issues affording food, you tell me immediately.
"

Jiayi didn't seem as annoyed at Xiang Tao as before. She gave stern, clear advice that one would expect from a mother or older sister. She nods her head when he mentioned how he had that same effect on people.

"I believe it. I don't know many people can handle the talkative ones. Granted, you might not be the most annoying person out there.
"

The shop owner gave a grin but refused to elaborate more on what she said. There was no reason to talk to him more than what was necessary. It's not like she and Xiang Tao where anywhere close to being friends.

"You can hand me the bag of shards. In the meantime, you will be doing one note task before you will be allowed to leave for the night. I want you to organize that box of books on the new bookshelf I built. The top row I want to only see poems, the middle shelf will hold picture illustrations, and the bottom shelf will hold children's books."

Jiayi motioned to the smaller bookshelf that was just across from the bigger bookshelf he saw earlier. She stepped away momentarily to put a kettle on the stove in her upstairs living quarters. The smaller bookshelf was constructed from red-brown mahogany wood with the measurements 45.28"D x 31.89"W x 4.72"H. 115.0112 cm D x 81.0006 W x 12.065 H. Engraved on both sides of the bookshelf were what appeared to be a celestial goddess stretching one hand out to the farmers down on land while holding something in her other arm. In her right arm, the goddess held a baby in her arms.

"Do you drink tea? I have only oolong at the moment so you will have to settle for this. Have you eaten yet?"

Jiayi placed two mugs, one designed to look like a cat and the other decorated with watercolor lilies on the front, of oolong tea. She also placed a small plate of bao buns on her desk.

"The buns are just leftovers from earlier. You have no food allergies right?"

She does not seem completely opposed to the idea of him restoring the teapot, which makes Xiang Tao light up a little. It was a possibility after all! And she also seems to have definitely stored Tao in the “idiots” folder of her brain over the “dangerous criminal” one, which is another win if you ask him. First, because it’ll allow him to finish the job the boss will no doubt ask him to do now that he secured a job in the precious stop. Second, because he does not really want to be painted as a dangerous criminal. He’d like to get very, very far away from the Triad if he could, it’s just that it’s not possible at the moment.

She completely ignores him for a moment, lost in numbers, before lifting her head and staring straight into his soul to tell him he will be making more money than he has ever since he was kicked out of his parents’ place. He stares at her, wide eyed, for a couple seconds before sputtering a response.

“That’s... very generous of you. Wow. No problem.”

She’s offering enough for rent, food and necessities, and even some extra, in his humble opinion. Oh sure, he’ll never live the cushy life he would have by being a decent son and staying in his father’s good graces, but this is enough to actually live a decent life. There wouldn’t even be a need to work for the Triad, really. The possibility almost makes him grin, but he contains himself. She already finds him weird enough, no need to frighten the poor lady by smiling like a maniac out of nowhere.

Of course, there is the real possibility that the Triad will not let him leave. But they don’t know of his predicament, and are probably very crossed with him at the moment, so maybe if he just leaves them alone they will do the same. He can just very gently ghost them and he’s not nearly important enough for them to bother looking for him... right? In any case, he’ll gladly take the chance.

To further add to the sweetness of the deal, the shop owner, Jiayi, tells him that he only has to organize some books. He would do that for free! If he takes it from the other volumes she had on her shelves, these will be beautiful antique tomes. Oh, he wonders if she has any edition he doesn’t know about! Surely she’ll have some classics there!

He decides to nod silently (positive reinforcement for her, she tells him to look at books, he shuts up) and go get started on the enormous box he’ll be storing. He figures he’ll get everything out into piles, representing each category she listed, and it’ll be pretty easy to store them properly afterwards. As he hears her leave the room, he figures she can’t complain if he lingers a bit on the tittles.

He scans the content of the box as he gets them out and ends up... very surprised. He does not know a single author in the heaps of books she has. They don’t seem to be translations, so he really does not understand how this many Chinese authors can exist without him hearing about it. He’s got a degree for that goddammit!

When she comes back, she offers him a mug of tea and delicious looking bao buns. He’s lucky again!

“Yes! Tea is perfect thank you! No allergies, no objections to leftovers. I definitely will take as much as you let me~ You know, I really think you and I were destined to meet. This is the confirmation, I was looking at baos just this morning and thinking wow wouldn’t it be great to have some!”

He shakes his head as to remove the thought and bites into the delicious softness of the bao. After washing down the bite with a sip of tea, he looks at her again, more serious this time.

“Out of curiosity, where do the books come from? I’m very surprised, cause I went through the box quickly and I don't know any of the names in it.”

Now, Jiayi does not know he’s actually quite knowledgeable in literature so it might seem like a weird comment, but he’s still pretty confused about it. Unless she wrote all of it under many pseudonyms? He’d have to read through them for clues...

Last edited:
"It's called paying someone adequate wages so no need to overexaggerate. I don't understand how it's not the norm to ensure employees don't earn enough. If half the employers in this providence did their part, there wouldn't be a need for crime nor prostitution."

Jiayi was practically raised in this providence her entire life. The only time she left was during that one trip to her father's providence before...their deaths. She had seen the best and worst of what was offered outside her grandmother's shop. The 24 year old could still remembers a mother and child she found on the streets some years back. She hoped they were in a better living situation now...

"Trying to sweet talk me are you. Just so you know, I don't believe in stupid things like soulmates or destined meetings. Things happen given the circumstances surrounding an event. The events of us meeting are a result of your poor decisions. Nothing more and nothing less
," Jiayi stated in a mater-of-fact tone. It was ironic she didn't believe in fate when there was a literal dimension to another universe in her basement. Even if she had known her underground neighbors for approximately 11 years of her life. It was just...unnatural. Who would believe that alternative universes exist?!? Lady Huang and the others had no luck in convincing that fate did indeed exist. Heck, it took her a while to accept the fact that non-humans existed.

Jiayi motioned for Xiang Tao to take the last of the bao buns. She took the last sip of the oolong before placing her cat designed mug back down on the desk. She made a mental note to make a filling meal for lunch tomorrow. The intruder looked like he could use more nutrients. Should she also recommend some vitamins??

"The authors in that book are a few friends of mine. They live out of the country but will occasionally ship their works for me to share with others. They are just small, self-published authors so they have yet to make a mark in the industry."

This was the best response Jiayi could think of on the fly. She had little to no creative nor artistic ability so claiming to publish under a pseudonym was out of the question. That only left one thing: asking the original authors to publish under one condition: no sharing personal information or about their home in the books. Taking about mystical creatures, among other things, was allowed. In this modern universe there were no mystical creatures or gods. If a person from Jiayi's universe decided to pick up one of the books, they would likely thing the author is inspired from ancient mythology.The part of them being outside of the country wasn't necessarily a complete lie. Sure they were in her basement storage room but that mean they resided in the same land. At the end of the day, the Huang family along with a couple of other people returned to the alternate universe. Thankfully, she had the performance schedule measured by heart. Tomorrow there would be a show after hours staring The Huang Theater Company. She would ensure that Xiang Tao clocks out on time long before Da-Xia and the others set up the stage decorations.

Xiang Tao stares gently at the woman while she rants a bit about workers rights in the country. He supposes she’s right, to a certain point. Take him, for example: the reason he’s in the streets and has turned to crime (and not prostitution, as his new boss likes to think he did), is not especially because he never encountered a fair employer.

No, it’s more a combination of many circumstances. For one, he could not very well go work in academia, as was his goal with his diploma. His father forbade it, saying it would bring shame to the family to have a son who does not follow in his father footsteps (honestly, Tao thinks he brings shame to the family very well without working, so what does his dad knows). So his dad made sure that no one would hire him, no matter his qualifications. It’s a shame because he truly would have liked teaching.

Then, impossible for him to even hold a simple manual work job. Someone would always recognize him as the Xiang heir eventually, and he either bounced as soon as it happened, or he was mysteriously fired once his father heard about it. Really, dad would like nothing better than for Tao to move to another country probably. Or die in a terrible accident. That would give him pity points from the electors.

Jiayi quickly shuts him down as he jokes about fate and the likes. Oh, so the lady does not believe in magic and destiny? Well, neither does Tao, really. He was just joking and trying to make conversation. But for someone who sells magical objects, it’s a bit ironic (though not surprising) that she is not a believer.

He eagerly devours the last of the baos as Jiayi offers it to her, listening as she explains that the books are self published works from strangers around the world. He picks up one book as he finishes his tea, under the pretense of figuring out to which section it should belong to. He reads a few passages out loud, and smiles.

“Ah! That’s very interesting. No offence, but your friends are a bunch of nerds hahaha~ Take this passage for example, the speech pattern they are using here is much more consistent with middle Chinese -so around maybe the 6th century or more- than regular Mandarin or Cantonese. They really did their research! Though it makes it a bit harder to read, I suppose that is probably why they self publish. If they were actually wanting to make it in a regular publishing house, they’d have to modernize the writing style they put so much work into. Huh, interesting-”

He keeps babbling about writing styles and cultural differences and so on as he puts his mug down and gets to work organizing the books. He makes a mental note to pick up the one he was just reading from later on, maybe on break tomorrow, to check it out some more. Ten months uh? That should leave him more than enough time to go through her library.

Jiayi was far from the joking type so Xiang Tao's attempt at a joke flew over her head. Typical. Ask anyone around and they would claim the same thing.

Oh that Jiayi Jin? She doesn't have a single funny bone in her body. I tried telling her a joke the other time and didn't get a reaction out of her!

She's the serious dependable type. It's not necessarily a bad thing...it's just that sometimes it's hard starting a conversation with her.

Those were some of the more common statements she heard about herself. She didn't mind what other people had to say about her personality (or lack of one). So what if she couldn't tell nor understand some jokes? She didn't have the time to care what some outsider thinks. Her shop was her sole responsibility and anything else is a distraction.

"I guess you can consider them nerds. I told them that they should try writing Mandarin or Cantonese every time and every time I hear the same response, 'They must learn to appreciate art in any form! Language is what enhances and breathes stories to life!'"

Jiayi did her best impression of a snobby, prideful author as she quoted those sentences. Truthfully, the authors didn't know how to write in modern Mandarin or Cantonese. She had done her best to show them how to write in modern language but...it's been quite the struggle. Certain phrases and sayings were unknown by Fang and the others. All attempts of teaching the authors slang also failed miserably. Fang had stared blankly against her when she tried explaining slang words like níngméng jīng and xiăo xiān ròu among other things. Still, she refused to give up her language lessons for hope that the locals would one day understand. Some had expressed interest in writing books that any age group could understand.

Xiang Tao seemed to be full of surprises. Middle Chinese?? Cultural differences? It took Jiayi Jin years to comprehend 6th century Chinese yet this stranger could read through the passages with ease. He was will informed on the subject...a little too well informed.

"You've studied in college to gain this knowledge. Did you finish or did you have to withdraw because of circumstances?"

The look Jiayi was of neither pity nor judgment. Genuine curiosity evident in her chestnut brown eyes. Any seemingly malicious intentions had melted away the more the two talked. Just as Xiang Tao hoped, Jiayi had mentally marked him under the 'helpless idiot' folder along with officer Chen. However, that didn't mean she would automatically put him in charge of finances or inventory. Just because he hadn't attacked her or fought back didn't make him completely trustworthy. That would be proven or disproven with time depending on how actions.

Once Xiang Tao started organizing the books, the shop owner took the dishes upstairs and placed in the sink. Upstairs was a modest living space complete with a kitchen, bathroom, living room, and master bedroom. It was practically the size of a decent low-middle class apartment for a smaller price. The living room composed of an old grey loveseat with matching heart shaped pillows, a coffee table, a small corner bookshelf, and a see-through cabinet holding every dishware her 'neighbors' ever gifted her. It wasn't anything fancy like the Huang manor but it was the only home she knew. Mei begged her to buy a t.v. but alas, the request fell on deaf ears. Jiayi wasn't much for watching movies or shows so a t.v would waste space.

The shop owner yawned and rubbed her left eye. She hadn't realized how tired she was until now. The performance staring Zemin Huang last night had gone on longer than original intended. When her employee finishes his task, she would rest. For now, Jiayi headed back downstairs to keep an eye on the troublemaker.

The shop owner does not react to his joke, but Tao is honestly so focused on his monologue that he does not really notice. He makes jokes mostly because he cannot stop himself, not really to make other people laugh. That’s part of the reason why he rambles so much, but it also means he never gets offended when his quips go over someone’s head, like it did with Jiayi.

She confirms his doubts about her friends, still, and Xiang Tao finds himself smiling through it. They sound a little stiff, as she imitates them, but he can definitely relates to what they are saying. He can appreciate a dumb down, trashy novel like anyone, but there is something about beautiful prose that definitely enhance storytelling. Still, he wonders if these are the same author publishing children books. He can understand writing novels in middle Chinese and still finding an audience, but it would be weird to try to do the same for kids. Eh, as long as they are happy with what they publish, he guesses.

He glances at Jiayi as he rambles about literature and historical styles and notices her eyebrows rising a little in surprise. Seems like she did not expect him to have this sort of knowledge. Makes sense, considering she thinks he is a good for nothing low life.

“You've studied in college to gain this knowledge. Did you finish or did you have to withdraw because of circumstances?”

He cringes a bit at her question, and takes a moment to put a few books on the shelves before coming up with an answer. He does not really want to tell her the truth, but he can just avoid the parts he does not feel like sharing.

“I have a full degree in Language and Literature, which I passed with honours, I’ll have you know! I was even setup to pursue more schooling but um, stuff happened. And I had to drop out because I did not have the money for the courses anymore.”

Stuff being getting caught by paparazzi making out with a guy, after many stern warnings from his father who had, for years, managed to keep any pictures from getting out. Not that time though, and that won him a prompt estrangement from his family. After that, his father made it impossible for him to keep a job.

“By then, I tried finding a job with the education I have, but the, um, circumstances, made that very difficult. And now I’m twenty six with a four year gap in my resume, so let’s be real no one will hire me. Apparently that is, unless I break so very expensive shit in their shop!” he says with good humour

Xiang Tao reacting to Jiayi's question didn't go unnoticed by the shop owner. Had she asked a sensitive question and overstepped a boundary? Even for someone who others deemed logical, Jiayi was terrible with reading some emotions or knowing when a question was too intrusive. Unless she was told stop or explained things throughly, she sometimes did ask the wrong question. Like the time she asked Ming about her recent breakup. Or the time she told Officer Chen to enjoy the holidays with his family during the first year they knew each other. In her defense, she didn't know the man was still grieving for his parents.

"I see. I'm sorry to hear about that. You wouldn't be the first person I've met who's been dealt with unfortunate circumstances. Regardless of what is to come, you should live a good life and make favorable decisions. Who knows, perhaps one day you will have the opportunity to continue your education."

Jiayi was under the impression that poverty had prevented the man from continuing his career path and education. He likely didn't have any parents either. At least, that's what she assumed. After all, what type of parent would willingly allow their kid to starve on the streets and commit crimes? Even seemingly strict fathers couldn't be so cruel. Caring mothers would do everything in their power to keep their kid safe and loved. Jiayi did have many memories of her parents...but the memories she did have showed her how parents should care for their child. Her grandma and heck, even the Huang family had showed her how to be a model citizen and caretaker.

Do you have any family? The question died in her throat as soon as it came to mind. Her desire to be respectful outweigh her curiosity to know more about the idiot. She refused to make the same mistake she made with Officer Chen. Just as quickly as she brushed aside the question, Jiayi had two fingers on Xiang Tao's ear lobe. Again, she pulled down on it with much force.

"Don't joke about this idiot. I should've and could've called the police on you for what you did but I didn't. I know people at the police station so don't push your luck, got it."

Jiayi slowly let go of Xiang Tao's earlobe, satisfied that she threatened him enough to not cause trouble.

"Please finish organizing the books. It's getting late and I'd rather not send you out on the streets on your own. No offense kid but you look like an easy target with how malnourished and thin you are."

Jiayi had heard rumors that the Triad had targetted a shopping center three towns over. Sun's road had been relatively safe for the most part but anything could chance in an instance. That's why the police station urged people to travel home in pairs or more at night. Just because Xiang Tao was insufferable didn't mean she would treat him with any less respect or compassion as she would show anyone else. Taking care of her temporary employee while under her care would be a priority.

The shopowner seems to sincerely feel for Xiang Tao’s tragic past, and it makes him a little uncomfortable. He’s pretty sure he doesn’t deserve this kind of compassion, considering that he’s a least half responsible for how fucked up his life is. He’ll take the pity still, over the cold angry stares she gave him when she first met him.

He can tell from the way her gaze linger on him that she wants to press further, but she seems to decide against it and pulls at his ear again, chastising him for his joke. At least this one did not go over her head.

“Alright, alright, I’m sorry! I was just joking.” he says sheepishly

Would he continue his schooling given the opportunity? Maybe. He doesn’t really see the use, considering that he would still be blocked from getting a job. He likes learning and would probably want to take some classes as a hobby, but given his current situation, he doesn’t see how that could happen.

Jiayi lets him go after a bit more threats, and commands him to finish his work. He has most of the work done already, the books neatly divided in the correct groups in distinct piles. All that is left for him to do is to shelve them, and he gets to work with efficiency and attention to details. There is a certain reverence in the way he handles the books: anyone looking closely enough would be able to tell he respects the work, and has love for written words. Fast enough, he has all of the books successfully placed on the shelves.

He is slightly amused at the short shopowner’s intention to what? Walk him home? Or to a bus stop or a cab or something? It’s cute that she thinks she would protect him for anything. First because while she is scary when angry, she is pretty small and would probably not be intimidating to anyone outside her shop. Next, he might look like a skinny sack of bones, but he is actually pretty in a fight and can pack a punch. And finally, obviously, he is somewhat on the good side of the Triads, so they probably would not touch him. Depending on what the two assholes have said to the boss, that is. He doesn’t think that they’ll look for him at the shop, however, so he’ll most likely be in the clear.

“Oh, thanks for the concern but I assure you I can take care of myself. I’ve been in much shadier parts of town at that time of the day~” he laughs

Finally convinced her words sank into the prostitute's thick skull, Jiayi Jin let go of Xiang Tao's earlobe. What a beautiful friendship indeed. If only Xiang Tao knew that in the future...this was far from the last time he would be reprimanded for some stupid joke he would utter. Jiayi Jin would have many more words and quibs to shoot in his direction. Many many more.

"Hmph. It better be a joke. I don't just go handing out jobs to low level amateur criminals. Even if they so happen to be prostitutes who need more than a smack to the head," the shop owner interjected mercilessly. She was and would forever cling to the misconception of Xiang Tao the 'prostitute.' Since she first glanced at his exposed flesh, the bruises of sorted shapes and sizes forever cemented his identity as a prostitute. Of course, she would use the man's name now that she had such information. Just because he left a terrible first impression didn't grant her free access taunt and mock his life circumstances. No one deserved that, much less the brat who didn't choose the hand life dealt him. Respect is- or at least- should be a basic human right.

Jiayi excessively stared at her newest employee. The sight akin to a hawk stalking a defenseless mouse. She witnessed the manner Xiang Tao handled the books. To say the least...she was honestly impressed. As this was her first time hiring an employee, she wasn't quite sure what to expect from the amateur criminal. Sass? Possibly. Incompetent? 100% yes. However, efficiently following orders and meeting expectations? Now that...that was a surprise. Nonetheless, it was a welcomed one. It would make the days they would reluctantly share together pass by quicker.

Although lacking any magical abilities, Jiayi didn't need mind reading abilities to imagine what the make was thinking. The shop owner clicked her tongue.

"Don't patronize me brat. I can sense when my height is being used to measure my competency. I may not be taller or muscular but I assure you, I have other ways of taking care of problems. I'll forgive your insolence this once only because this is our first meeting. Don't expect me to be as lenient the next time you do so again whether through thoughts or words."

Jiayi Jin knew she wasn't an expert martial artist...or any type of fighter. The few times she was almost mugged outside of the providence was proof of it.Thus, she dedicated early mornings on the weekend for training under Jawlong and a couple of others so she could become self-reliant. No need for officer Chen to check in on her again...and again. She was gifted a specialized dagger many moons ago by Zemin but hadn't touched it since. She appreciated the sentiment but how was she to ever explain the reasoning for carrying a weapon around? Especially when people were already on edge about the Triad. Just the thought alone gave her a headache. Still, she promised herself to finally carry the weapon on her person...starting another day. She didn't think she could take anymore of the actor's pleading amethyst eyes. Curse his silent ability to persuade people with looks alone.

Again, Xiang Tao does not refute the shop owner’s impression that he’s a prostitute, no matter how wrong it might be. He’s not a fan of having that reputation, but it’s a better prospect than her knowing he’s working for the Triad. If she knew, she would most likely retract her job offer, and Tao would not have a chance to escape his current life. So really, he can handle an other person calling him a whore.

She’s looking at him with sharp eyes, and Tao feels a little weird under her stare. She’s trying to figure him out, and acting like she is missing part of the puzzle. Which, fair enough. She is missing a lot of parts of him, since she mostly saw only the happy-go-lucky, un-serious mask he wears most of the time. He is capable of being serious, and it shows when he is around books and literature, but at this point the mask is a defence mechanism for him. It’s great when people have low expectations of you, because you can never disappoint them.

He has to repress a smirk when Jiayi scolds him once again, this time for his thoughts about her height. Oh, so she can get away with calling him a sack of bones, and calling him kid (even though he’s pretty sure he’s older than her!), but he can’t even think “mh, I think I can protect myself better than this lady can protect me”? Alright then. He smiles at her, amused more than mocking.

“Alright then boss, I believe you”

He has soon completed his job and, since he does not have any personal effect to pick up (other than his bag), he’s quickly standing in front of Jiayi, a smile on his face.

“All done! So, what time should I come in tomorrow, boss?”

He checks the time on his phone as he says it. It’s not too late yet, which means there’s a chance the street is clean Xiang Tao is a little dreadful that some of his shadier colleagues will wait for him, god forbid, in front of the shop. Surely they think he got away somehow and won’t be watching the shop all day, right? He checks his notifications, and his stomach churns when he sees the numerous missed calls and texts. Very quickly, he checks his text thread with Tang Xia.

Tang Xia (14:07): lol are u dead yet?
Tang Xia (15:54): the boss wants to see u
Tang Xia (15:54): hes probably gonna kill you if ur not dead already
Tang Xia (16:19): did the cops get u?
Tang Xia (17:01): hey asshole you better fucking answer
Tang Xia (18:33): hey
Tang Xia (19:03): cockroach

He gulps. The boss wants to talk to him, probably to punish him for whatever Xia and Chao convinced him he did. Ugh. He does not want to have that conversation. Taking a chance, he decides not to answer her texts. He has read receipts on, so she won’t be able to know he saw her messages. Maybe she’ll assume he’s really dead or in custody and he can avoid retribution for ignoring her. His only solace is that the Triad and its members has no idea where he lives, he made sure of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back