Proposition 8

Autumn

Popcorn Connoisseur
I am interested in finding out what people's opinions are on LGBTQ marriage.

Opinions?

Personally, I think that any person of any sexuality should be able to get married. Those opposed to it constantly give the argument of how being LGBTQ is sacrilege, but isn't that in terms of religion? We have a separation of church and state for a reason. There are people in the US who aren't Christian or Muslim, and don't believe in these standards. And marriage predates Christianity, so they can't argue that marriage is theirs. Quite honestly, I think that the government needs to stop sticking their nose into people's business and stop pushing their religion on people. Muslims don't push their religion and views onto people, so why do Christians? It's not like gay marriage will affect them directly anyway.

There are yet others who claim that the purpose of marriage is for procreation. If that's the case, should we move to ban marriage between heterosexual older couples? What about between couples where one partner had ovarian or testicular cancer and can't reproduce? Or say someone had an injury that caused infertility? The answer is: No. Because many people think that doesn't matter as long as it's a hetero couple.

Now on to the supposed "Sanctity of Marriage". Everyone in America, Christian or otherwise, can see that the sanctity of marriage is utter bullshit anymore. I mean hell, people can get married in Vegas in 20 minutes while wasted, sleep it off, and get an annulment the next day. For real? Come on, world, get with the facts! This "Sanctity" is nothing more than an outdated excuse for religious zealots to cling to the ancient doctrines that have governed their faith for two millenia.

All in all, I think it's obvious where I stand. People should be allowed to marry regardless of the status of their genitalia. Everyone deserves the right to yell at their significant other in the morning when they see all the milk is gone.

To those against equal rights for same-sex couples, I have one thing to say.

Prop 8 was popularly and wholly democratically instated, anyone who opposes Proposition 8 cannot do so without declaring that they do not believe that free peoples have any right to decide the laws or institutes by which they are governed.

Any ones opinion on homosexual marriage aside, that is a fact of the matter, supporting a repeal of prop 8 is a support the worst kind of totalitarianism, one built on emotion. I believe in the right to self determination, if the citizens of California want to ban homosexual marriage in their state they have every freedom to do so if the citizens of Vermont want to welcome homosexual marriage with open arms that is their right to do so. Free men are just that, free, not bound by the dictates of the few or due any subjugation by foreign law, rule or opinion.

I know, at least for me, it's been hard living in a state nowhere near where a lot of states are, progress wise. I live in the south, South Carolina actually, and last time I checked I can never adopt. Single men are not even allowed to adopt by themselves, they have to be married, and since we don't have gay marriage here, I can't get married, and thus, cannot adopt a kid.

People keep telling me that things are changing and things will get better. Don't get me wrong, that's great for the states that do have those freedoms, but it doesn't seem to be changing here. I feel like we keep fighting for these rights in other states, but honestly I would settle for some tolerance where I live. For me, getting married and adopting a kid are just things I fantasize about, I know they won't happen in my state any time soon, but I don't think I should have to move from the only place I've ever known to get those rights, or even to just feel safe.

I've gone on a rant now, so... sorry, that is just my thoughts on the whole marriage thing.... Sorry if I got a bit off topic

Caspen said:
I know, at least for me, it's been hard living in a state nowhere near where a lot of states are, progress wise. I live in the south, South Carolina actually, and last time I checked I can never adopt. Single men are not even allowed to adopt by themselves, they have to be married, and since we don't have gay marriage here, I can't get married, and thus, cannot adopt a kid.
People keep telling me that things are changing and things will get better. Don't get me wrong, that's great for the states that do have those freedoms, but it doesn't seem to be changing here. I feel like we keep fighting for these rights in other states, but honestly I would settle for some tolerance where I live. For me, getting married and adopting a kid are just things I fantasize about, I know they won't happen in my state any time soon, but I don't think I should have to move from the only place I've ever known to get those rights, or even to just feel safe.

I've gone on a rant now, so... sorry, that is just my thoughts on the whole marriage thing.... Sorry if I got a bit off topic
I thought that I heard that if the supreme court deemed DoMA to be unconstitutional then it was only a matter of time until all states would have to recognize marriages which happened in states that do have it legalized. It was part of the reason that the LGBT group at my college was in such a commotion over everything. They believe that if it should be overturned that it will only be a matter of time before federal government recognizes Gay marriages and offers them the same protections as straight marriage and that all states will have to recognize (if not legalize) the marriages. So hopefully things continue to get better. :) Perhaps even sometime soon we may see such fantasies become realities.

Unfortunately legalization and tolerance are two different things. While legalization would provide some much needed protections, it does little for the bias and cruelty in people's hearts. For now hopefully you are changing the hearts of those around you and paving the way to a more accepting community for yourself and others tomorrow. I wish I could say something more helpful, but I'm sort of useless right now. Sorry~

For me, marriage and children wasn't something I thought about until I realized that as soon as I fall for the "wrong" person, I can't have them. Sure, I could move to a different state or even a different country and get married there, but honestly, it's like Caspen said: I want some toleration where I am now. Is it too much to ask to be allowed to be with people I love? I don't think so.

I think the only reason why it isn't socially accepted is because some of us still cling onto the past.

To change that, a lot of us would have to give up on some cultural things. But if a state doesn't allow same sex marriage, just simply move to another state or just not be married "legally".

It's funny to me that the ones that are against it don't even have anything to do with it (As far as I know of anyways...) To me it's like, if your not getting married or thinking about getting married to a person of the same sex then you have little to no say on the matter. It's not like it's going to affect you in any way.

Beta said:
Now on to the supposed "Sanctity of Marriage". Everyone in America, Christian or otherwise, can see that the sanctity of marriage is utter bullshit anymore. I mean hell, people can get married in Vegas in 20 minutes while wasted, sleep it off, and get an annulment the next day. For real? Come on, world, get with the facts! This "Sanctity" is nothing more than an outdated excuse for religious zealots to cling to the ancient doctrines that have governed their faith for two millenia.
That actually kind of says everything I'm thinking.

There a lot more things to argue over than this and I honestly just think we should move on.(when I say move on I mean in general not just about this thread). To me this is sort of like the whole "blacks and whites can't marry" thing back before the turn of the century. And I also think the result will be the same, that eventually everyone will gradually learn to get over it or accept it.

Zhia said:
There a lot more things to argue over than this and I honestly just think we should move on.(when I say move on I mean in general not just about this thread). To me this is sort of like the whole "blacks and whites can't marry" thing back before the turn of the century. And I also think the result will be the same, that eventually everyone will gradually learn to get over it or accept it.
And that, that sums up my thoughts for the future. Person, I love your post.

Apologies for the 23 minute long video, but if you have the time and are interested, the speech not only talks about homosexuality, but also about down syndrome and dwarfism - and how that all relates to acceptance and love.

[media]

[/media]

[QUOTE="CM-Colorless]Prop 8 was popularly and wholly democratically instated, anyone who opposes Proposition 8 cannot do so without declaring that they do not believe that free peoples have any right to decide the laws or institutes by which they are governed. Any ones opinion on homosexual marriage aside, that is a fact of the matter, supporting a repeal of prop 8 is a support the worst kind of totalitarianism, one built on emotion. I believe in the right to self determination, if the citizens of California want to ban homosexual marriage in their state they have every freedom to do so if the citizens of Vermont want to welcome homosexual marriage with open arms that is their right to do so. Free men are just that, free, not bound by the dictates of the few or due any subjugation by foreign law, rule or opinion.

[/QUOTE]
The concept is all well and good, but under such a principle the Jim Crow laws would never have been repealed. If a US state law is unconstitutional, it is deeply wrong, in my opinion, to refrain from doing anything legally possible to invalidate such a law.

Not to mention the borderline illegal level to which the Mormon Church was involved in advertising for and endorsing Prop 8. Members were threatened with excommunication if they did not donate funds towards pulling through with Prop 8. To a Mormon, excommunication from the Church means going to Hell – that is, living in the absence of God in pain and torture for eternity. Really, that's a form of punishment for anyone who does not contribute to an in fact unconstitutional cause. Hundreds of millions of dollars were invested into the passing of Prop 8 by the Mormon Church alone, despite the passage in the Constitution explicitly stating that no single organization, company or religious establishment is allowed to support a law with exorbitant funds. Due to ambiguity concerning the term "exorbitant" the Mormon Church has not been sued for their actions, but that does not make said actions legal or constitutional, let alone ethical.

Also the US federal law is not "foreign" to a US state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back